Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Very small check-in: local store did a demo day and got enough interested people for multiple 3-round demos of Alpha Strike (and a little interest for Classic). Not a very well trained rep but they did a decent job teaching. Been away from BT for the better part of a decade and was neat to see what's changed with the new version. Sounds like there's 20+ people in the area and they actually play midsized to large games regularly.

Maybe I'll pick up a lance after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

In an attempt to avoid painting my 30k stuff, I finally got around to picking up a BT lance set - not the Command one I initially wanted, but the Support lance with the Spider, Dragon, Thug, and Cyclops. I've played the game somewhat via Megamek, but not in person, and I'm not much of an expert on lance building. Local community seems to very much like 3025 through the Clan Invasion; I'm primarily thinking 3020s into early 3030s to get going. I know I'm not exactly spoiled for choice here compared to some other mechs with tons of variants, but what an I probably looking at for a "solid" starting lance with an unclear BV target? Currently thinking something like:
* SDR-5V
* THG-10E (by dint of being the only one to really exist at that time)
* DRG-1G
* CP-10-Q
which comes in at just a hair over 5k BV by my math. Thug and Dragon do their mid range thing, Spider pokes holes, Cyclops stands back and gives fire support. But I'm known to be a fool so maybe I'm going about this wrong? Either way I have to get the drat things painted first, and a color scheme may be even more difficult to figure out.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Defiance Industries posted:

As always, I must stress that the miniatures you own have nothing to do with the units you can field. If someone tries to hold you to WSIWYG, point them to the proxying rules in Total Warfare and then stop playing with them because that is a massive red flag. If you wanted the mechs in the other pack instead, print THOSE record sheets.

I get that.

I would also like to field the mechs that I'm going to be painting anyway. It's easier for me to remember, it's easier for my opponent to remember, and I like 3 out of the 4 anyway (the Cyclops is whatever). Just don't want to stumble into traps since I'm well aware some variants of mechs just suck for no good reason other than to suck.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Strobe posted:

This seems fine for the era. You can't go wrong with Sword of Light for the scheme. Solid red is not incredibly difficult to paint and it's distinctive.

Planned on going with homebrew mercs, dark teal/sea green with either red or purple accent. Steiner through and through in spirit - can't just go play Dracs. Got started on the models but having enough issues with my hands today that I didn't get much done besides metal joints and the Dragon and Spider's armor basecoat. At least it's just four models to work through, I'll get there eventually.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

xposting from painting thread. First lance of actual minis for BT.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Imperfect, but done. Bases intentionally left bare. Just happy to have a finished force for any game at all so I can go down to my LGS again.

I think the Spider came out as my favorite.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fearless posted:

Always glad to see another person with the grit and determination needed to paint hazard stripes! The scheme works really well overall (I get an 80s cartoon villain feel from it overall, which I'm meaning as a sincere compliment). I really like what you did for those PPC lenses-- what is your recipe for those?

Thank you! I've gotten both "GI Joe villain" and "Decepticon" reactions so fast, so it's definitely selling the 80s vibe. The hazard stripes were obligatory, I'm an IW player for Warhammer, lol.

The PPC lenses are just Aethermatic Blue contrast over ProAcryl Titanium White. I did the same on the exposed cooling ribs on the Thug for a plasma esque effect, though it doesn't really show in the pictures above.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

a cyborg mug posted:

Modelling and painting kinda feel more fun than I think it ever did as a kid. Not sure if that’s actually the case but I’m finding a level of relaxation in painting that I rarely find nowadays with other hobbies/pastimes.

I enjoy modeling, and I enjoy detail painting (like highlights, or freehand and lenses), but for whatever reason base coating is universally a hell experience that makes my brain go "quit painting for good, this sucks rear end and won't get better" on every single model regardless of base or scheme. Honestly surprised that I got that lance finished as quickly as I did instead of getting put off too hard to finish, like a lot of my Warhammer stuff. No idea why my brain is like this. (Though I'm definitely worse at painting than I was when I was younger, despite having more experience than before, which doesn't help things...)

Glad it's a very positive experience for others, though. I'll figure it out eventually.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

FishFood posted:

Pretty sure I have ordered stuff from him, I think that's one of the big online Battletech stores along with Aries.

Yeah, I just ordered from him last week.

Looks like this weekend's intro game fell through, next week is a paid tournament so it's definitely not happening then either. Ah well.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I recognize in advance this is a silly question that I'm going to field anyway. I'm painting my company so far (already-posted support lance & the AGoAC box that just finished primer curing) in a consistent scheme and aiming to do the same for future mechs; not that I don't like a variety of factions, I just want my own stuff to be consistent/interchangeable. "Problem" that manifests: these are mercenaries, closer to pirates. All well and good, but I'm vaguely eyeing the Wolf's Dragoons Assault Star box once I have this set done and a few games run at the shop; the Archer is my favorite mech and I'd like both non-limited plastic versions eventually, the Blackjack fits with "backwater periphery pirates" well enough, and the Rifleman is just Blackjack +1 in that regard.

And then there's the Annihilator and Timber Wolf. The Annihilator I've already written off, I'll paint it Wolf's Dragoons and just stick it on a desk shelf for display. The Timber Wolf is a whole different issue. I've mostly planned with 3025 through mid Clan Invasion in mind, since that's what my local seems focused on & also the eras of most interest to me. As far as I know nobody plays past the Jihad era and even that's limited - not due to grog-ness about it, people just don't have the collections for later eras. I have no intent of buying any other clan mechs in the future (unless they release a plastic Glass Spider, which will similarly just go on display).

What on earth do I do with a single Timber Wolf, short of consigning it to another display-only slot or trading it with someone for a different IS mech? If this was the Combine or something, I'd feel better about fielding a repainted Timber Wolf, since they're at least acknowledged to have captured them - was reading up on battle armor last night and "captured Timber Wolf PPCs" came up a couple times - but random mercenary company #24601 rolling up with intact clan salvage of the iconic invasion mech feels silly, and outside of "let's play some duels" I don't see how much fielding a single mech alone will do.

Yes, I looked into buying the mechs individually and the secondhand markup was insane - just the Archer mini goes for nearly as much as the whole box does. I imagine for most people this isn't a problem since they're painting multiple forces and can usually find at least one to fit it into, just looking for thoughts with a rather more limited collection. This turned into a bit more of a ramble than intended, sorry.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Crossposting from mini painting.

quote:

4 more mechs for the Raiders. Honestly the second batch turned out worse than the first in several aspects, I'm fairly disappointed, but I'm mostly just glad they're painted. These guys were a testbed for a few changes from the first batch, none of which really worked out. But hey, 8 of 12 done.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally got my first physical game in.

Locust scored two kills on me. The same Locust. Including one on a Cyclops. To my credit, the Cyclops had already had the armor peeled from almost every location and was missing both arms, and it was a 3-mech team effort, but still. Give that guy a fancy base.

Went well overall though. Lost but it was fun.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Marx Headroom posted:

Yknow this is a small thing but the gold on the bases looks really nice. I might have to start doing that just so it's clear which direction is facing forward. It can be tough to tell on some of these minis, especially when you assembled them in a torso twist pose.

Yup, that's why I did the hazard lines on mine. Some mechs could easily go one of two different facings and it prevents any questions.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Just three mechs left. Two to finish out this company, then a Charger for memes. Then I'm finally done for a while.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

a cyborg mug posted:

Love the look of those strong edge highlights, gives them an almost Tron-like look

Lol sure, sure
Thanks.

I'll at least be done with everything I have + the one mech that I'm receiving as a test print from a friend who just got their 3D printer. No plans to buy anything else afterwards for a while, getting games at all has been difficult enough to manage as it is. 13 mechs in a variety of weight ranges gives me a good amount to work with, even before factoring in proxy rules for running other mechs.

Also my LGS only ever seems to stock clan stuff so no impulse buys for me.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 28, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Crossing over from mini-painting.

quote:

First minis of 2023, though half of them were done before New Year's. Last two mechs for my first full company of Battletech minis... just in time for 8 more to show up on deep sale and prevent me from celebrating one game's backlog cleared. Still needs varnish, but I'll put up a family photo once they're varnished and cured in (this thread).

Command lance and Direct Fire lance picked up during the Barnes and Noble sale, they're sitting in their box in the closet for now but I'll get to them eventually. Just glad to at least have AGoAC and the support lance done.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Crossing over from mini-painting.

Command lance and Direct Fire lance picked up during the Barnes and Noble sale, they're sitting in their box in the closet for now but I'll get to them eventually. Just glad to at least have AGoAC and the support lance done.

As promised, one family photo:

Now to just get some games in that aren't "here's a huge public event, 1 turn an hour if you're lucky, and all the mechs and record sheets are supplied"...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Got a game in tonight, 5k mostly-3025 (other guy had a cataphract with advanced ACs), with a longer time player teaching both of us for the first chunk. Ended up being at quite a disadvantage when we had to wrap up. Games started 3, games actually finished 0 so far. Definitely understanding the need for real objectives for a decent game.

Increasingly thinking Classic may not be for me due to pacing concerns, though Alpha Strike goes a bit too far in the opposite direction. Doesn't cost anything to keep giving it a shot and folks seemed to have fun, so hopefully that's a good sign.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

2v4 with a Clan player that's similarly new to me, finally ended up actually winning a game. Ice Ferret ran off and Ebon Jaguar was surrounded by 4 mechs at the last turn. Turns out people knowing the basics helps speed a lot, and so does the amount of damage DHS mechs kick out.
(Their call to only use 2 mechs, all they had painted. I didn't take a super strong lance or anything for the BV, they just conceded the range advantage early and it ended up causing problems. Did a healthy amount of damage to me, dice just didn't align for crits.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sort-of followup to the recent game posts: I've been working with just the AGoAC box's map sheets so far, which are nice but definitely... limited overall. How are the Catalyst map sheet packs in terms of value? Or is there somewhere else I should be looking for better maps/a better deal? I think my LGS has all the current Catalyst map sheets (definitely saw Alien Worlds, Tukayyid, Grasslands, Desert, and the double-sized one I'm blanking on the name of), but $30 for a handful of paper sheets was a bit of a surprise. Just seeing if there are other good options before I invest, since I seem to be the one bringing the map sheets every time. (I don't have reliable printer access, so "print out the quarters of the map sheets yourself" is for better or worse not an option.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks folks. I'll likely pick up Grasslands next time I'm in the shop, then. Even more trying to figure out line of sight and woods on a 2D plane (which is the opposite of fun and which I still haven't mastered)... but hey, if it means more than 4 potential sheets to work with, that's a bonus at least.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I play at my LGS, but it's not perfect - largest permanent BT community in the state (only conventions are bigger) and it's still a struggle to even have two people align their schedules enough to play, let alone more than one game a week, and outside of events scheduled months in advance we don't get 4+ players at a time.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Another round of Classic today, with the same clanner player from last week. Ice Ferret and Ebon Jaguar (both Prime) vs Grand Dragon, Cyclops, Spider, and Shadow Hawk.

I did not get nearly as lucky with positioning this time around. And I'm increasingly tempted to write off the Cyclops, having tried both AC20 and gauss varieties; it's an overgrown Hunchback that really isn't earning any value back. But hey, other guy got to have his first two mission kills (gyro-killing the Shadow Hawk and legging the Spider) and it was overall a good time. Having the map packs for some terrain variety did help quite a bit.

Very much enjoying the GD and Spider still. Unsurprisingly probably going to be staples for me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

Try the CP-11-B model Cyclops. It's a slow 3/5 assault but with two Gauss, an LRM 10, and a pair of medium lasers so it's a solid sniper with some hole-seeking capability. Sit it at the back of the field with good LoS and it's scary.

It's on the list, but it's from after the time frame we've been playing so I haven't brought it out.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Marx Headroom posted:

I'd also be curious what the most common mechs were. Locust right?

The bug trio by a long shot; of those three I think the Wasp is mentioned as the most common.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Painted a Crusader for my pirates. I don't like this mech one bit, so naturally I used him as a test bed to vary my scheme a bit. Not pictured: all the copper heat sinks on the back, because he's constantly on fire from how poor the Crud's heat management is.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kesper North posted:

Amusingly, the CRD-6T is one of the top S-tier mechs in MechWorrier OnLion

https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/TierLists?list=general

I can believe it would be, I just detest everything about the Crusaders I've played with (the intro tech variants - double sinks probably save it) in Classic. Too hot, too explosive, secondary armament suffers for being leg mounted... I'll take an Archer any day, even a -2S that's clearly trying to copy the Crud. It can at least pull off the job.

(Just not a -2K, the Archer may be my favorite mech but even I can't defend that trash heap of a variant.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Apparently I'm on a roll, hammered out a Valkyrie in just over two hours. Always struck me as a weird mech, LRM fire support from a light with one ton of ammo is a strange prospect, but it at least seems to work. (I'd take it over a 10K Panther, naturally.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Okay, I feel like I might be high here. It's not normal for injection molded plastic to have visible 3D print striations on major surfaces, right? (Orion from the Direct Fire lance) Because this isn't even the first CGL mini they've shown up on.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

For one,

SkyeAuroline posted:

Even more "refusing to paint Warhammer by instead burning through my Battletech backlog".

Happy with how the eyes came out, another image for a slightly clearer view (this is from earlier in the wip process):

For two: Fortress Miniatures is running a sale on some of the Death Ray Designs vehicles and infantry, and I'm vaguely considering some combined arms in the future. Any recommendations on good entry points for armor? It looks like the ones I can actually recognize and am interested in are are Goblins + infantry, Bulldogs, Manticore(s), Schrek(s), or Pattons. I've heard good things about all five; a bit concerned about the Goblin option for bringing in infantry rules at the same time (and being the most expensive option, probably, as a result) but nothing I don't think I can deal with.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I just like "what if the ballistic Dragon got some love that didn't twist its design too hard instead of the Grand smothering it" and stuff like that, relatively minor changes that still aren't as "good" as canon designs but are neat exercises. I also don't bring them to the table, though. Wouldn't want to open the can of worms and don't trust any of the local players not to take advantage if the opportunity currently.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just use different colors of D6 than what you’re rolling for damage. Mine are walk: white, jump: black, run: lol I don’t ever run, that means less shooting 🧐

I think there’s an actual suggestion somewhere in the alpha strike rule book, but idk what page it would be on.

The AGOAC recommendation is white for walk, black for run, red for jump. There's also yellow dice in the pack I got but I think that's an Alpha Strike only thing.
My LGS had tiny d6es in the appropriate colors for like, 9 bucks for ~8 of each.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How often do you guys employ assault mechs and what era do you play in?

We've recently gotten to a level of competency that we can do a Star on Star game(ten mechs) in just under two hours due to having the rules memorized and we're finding that movement speed is just mattering more. The only one I still bother with is the Timberwolf, because I sadly simp for posterboys of things but otherwise I don't bother. The extra weapons and armor don't help against ammo TACs and my regular player has given up fielding an ATLAS since cockpit shots and ammo tacs can end your BV advantage. We play Clan Invasion/3050-3067 mostly with some anachronisms here and there and yeah, I just don't see the purpose of these. In Alpha Strike they make more sense but not so much in CBT

I play mostly Clan Invasion IS, and my assaults haven't had much of a good showing so far despite coming along on most deployments. Battlemaster carries its weight fairly well, but Cyclops was a dismal failure both times. I have yet to field the couple assaults I just got since they're not painted, though, so not a very broad view yet.

the cyclops would do just fine if the double gauss version existed before 3071, though

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Rorahusky posted:

So, fun fact about the new Viper battlemech that appeared in Rec Guide 32

Yuuuuuup, the Viper is the image used for the old pre-CGL record sheets back in the day.

Was gonna mention that mech. Blazers and Clan lasers coexisting on one mech (for one of the variants) is... an interesting choice. I might try taking it out next time I play, though; it'll at least give me a use for the Crusader I painted. Nice that it got a SW version even if it's "just" a weird zero ammo Grasshopper there.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

General Battuta posted:

I thought there was a limit on heat gain from external sources? I might be talking out of my rear end.

Or was that 50 heat from plasma rifles plus its own activity.

There is, it's 15 points from external sources.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

Doesn't really say much about it in TRO 3055U or the Jade Falcon Sourcebook so I guess it's in the original TRO 3055?

It's also not in the original TRO 3055. Jade Falcon sourcebook claims "if they have a specific battle function, it is still unclear" but no further details, and I don't have 3055U but I'll take your word it's not elaborated on.
At this point TRO 3055 Revised is the only cited source (on Sarna) that might have it.

E: Got someone to check 3055U, pg 106. It is, in fact, elaborated on - this is the source the Sarna editor used.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 10, 2023

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://www.theonion.com/there-s-no-rule-that-the-controls-have-to-be-in-the-he-1850212604

Long ago I wondered why you wouldn't just put the cockpit and life support in the CT. Even if the 2 life support slots have to be in the same section as the cockpit, LT/RT are still better protected.

I have since accepted its for game reasons and if you need an in universe explanation the design constraints of a canopy, sensors, life support, and egress system mean even if you put it in the leg it would be a discrete module with exactly the same armor/IS.

Torso cockpits exist and have rules. Life support does, in fact, go in the side torsos.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

People really like minis and I think it's the single reason Battletech has come back in such a big way.

Gonna have to agree. I was interested in BT before the whole revival kicked in, but when the only option for minis was IWM "quality"... not super enthused. The new minis have their issues but they're absolutely a breath of fresh air.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Had my first game in a while today. Got utterly thrashed again but at least it wasn't as unpleasant as the last few times, and I at least managed one kill out of four enemy mechs (even if it was a Panther). Better than the other most recent games went.

Arquinsiel posted:

For a long while in Gamers World Dublin there was a record sheet pinned to the wall of a Crab that got unlucky when a single platoon of LRR armed ISBA fired at it. All four 2 point hits were to the head, one was a TAC, and it took out the cockpit.

BattleTech!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally managed to eke out a win just barely, after quite the string of losses... and did it with a meme lance of 3 Crabs and a King Crab. Even managed to keep all four mechs alive (though not intact) somehow. Lesson to self, use more joke lists, I guess? Usually I'm just getting stomped into the ground without a chance with other lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of coming back to the game, played my first game in a while yesterday, and have reached a conclusion: Pilots that aren't 4/5 skill make the game so much more pleasant.

Maybe I'll make it back out to the shop sometime for physical games.