Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh hey, completely forgot that there would be a new BattleTech thread until now.

So how bout dem plastic robots eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you attend the Emporia Military Academy you get the ability for free when you collect your room assignment.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like painting them and playing games with them with my daughter :unsmith:
I've "had them" for years but due to pandemic stuff and moving country I'm only now actually physically in posession of them. I really need to get cracking on painting some.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

If that changed in the Dark Ages novel line, I'd love to know. Ghost War was bad enough it put me off the whole line.
It's definitely changed by the time of the Rogue Academy Trilogy. The cadets of the Emporia MechWarrior Academy switch mechs constantly, have all the noble-owned mechs stolen by the Seventh Ghosts who've deserted the Draconis Combine, and then steal them back again, then have the Seventh re-capture some of them, then re-re-capture them back again.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

That the Confederacy was good.
You can tell this from his work going as far back as Roar of Honor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There are basically three BattleTech stories, that's just a new twist on the most popular one so we're getting a lot of it these days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SkyeAuroline posted:

Another round of Classic today, with the same clanner player from last week. Ice Ferret and Ebon Jaguar (both Prime) vs Grand Dragon, Cyclops, Spider, and Shadow Hawk.

I did not get nearly as lucky with positioning this time around. And I'm increasingly tempted to write off the Cyclops, having tried both AC20 and gauss varieties; it's an overgrown Hunchback that really isn't earning any value back. But hey, other guy got to have his first two mission kills (gyro-killing the Shadow Hawk and legging the Spider) and it was overall a good time. Having the map packs for some terrain variety did help quite a bit.

Very much enjoying the GD and Spider still. Unsurprisingly probably going to be staples for me.
Try the CP-11-B model Cyclops. It's a slow 3/5 assault but with two Gauss, an LRM 10, and a pair of medium lasers so it's a solid sniper with some hole-seeking capability. Sit it at the back of the field with good LoS and it's scary.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
BattleTech always had a kind of worryingly right-leaning fanbase. It's one of the reasons I very rarely posted on the official forums, since thinly veiled poo poo was let fly for a very long time. If anything Pardoe getting the boot just coincided with a pile of culture war poo poo and someone doing the maths.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SirFozzie posted:

Man, I am way too grognardy, just wrote like a 1000 word Reddit post about how the Third Star League might not be a major rear end pull, and how all the moves being made currently could be part of a giant plan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/10po6os/looking_at_ilclan_star_league3250_from_a/
I've been joking about the ilClan vs Everyone Else in the battle to declare the winners "the Third Star League" with friends for a while now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can get the beta version of those rules if you signup to be notified about the Kickstarter launch.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Owlbear Camus posted:

Assuming I don't necessarily need the 'mech minis
Sorry, I'm stuck on this bit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Okay the goop printer makes sense, even if the mechs in the box are different variants to the previous ones.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rorahusky posted:

'Mechs like the Valkyrie are always in this weird place. In universe, their purpose makes complete and total sense. They're harasser and skirmisher units, meant to show up, lob LRMs at an opponent to cause some damage and rattle nerves before pulling back. They don't need a huge number of reloads, just enough to make a pain of themselves before they flee back to friendly lines, and they'll almost never kill anything unless they either pick on something badly damaged or get an amazing TAC that instantly kills a foe.

In game however, the whole harasser concept doesn't work, because the game doesn't reward you for incidental damage and retreating once your bins run dry is basically just handing free victory points to the opposing side, since most scenarios count units that run off the edge of the map as destroyed, so the Valkyrie feels largely useless because it can't fight worth a drat against anything that isn't a Locust.
A lot of the original 55 ton mediums fit into this niche too. They make perfect sense when you're expecting to run up to a convoy, ding a few AC-5 rounds into a slow-moving APC or truck at range, and then run off again.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most everything with an AC/2 makes perfect sense if they're going to be shooting at deuce-and-a-half transport trucks or other unarmored logistics vehicles.
Since I now own a Blackjack figure thanks to the lance packs I decided to try one out in 3025 ATB campaigns. Turns out the AC-2 is actually a pretty solid way to ding conventional fighters out of the sky or knock the air out of a hovercraft's skirts, and suddenly my Blackjack pilot has about three times the kills of anyone else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You want some plastic tanks? APCs? Mobile artillery?!?!?!

Have I got the Kickstarter for you...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

smug jeebus posted:

Sorry for ruining it for the rest of you, but I'm not playing the Mech fighting game so I can push hovercrafts around

PS. I don't mind if my opponents do, it's funny when their tracks break

PPS. I will also run elementals
I bring field guns and hide them.

Defiance Industries posted:

What

THE gently caress

IS THAT loving ABORTION OF A CRUSADER
Think of it as a Steiner-ised Stinger STG-3G used for C3 purposes.

BattleMaster posted:

Like okay, you can put the infantry of to the side and remember it's in the same hex as a mech. But then that starts to get worse if you have a chaotic melee with lots of units clustered together. Which happens a lot in my games because I like close combat and so do my typical opponents.
One per penny, and sit them on the mech bases.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The 12-ton GR was almost done when the League fell. Clan weapons are all Star League homework that they put their names on.
Also the Marauder II is a 3012 Wolf's Dragoons design anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BattleMaster posted:

The one thing that is a little sketchy are the one or two designs with IS CASE in the CT. That stops the mech from going up entirely, but you still can never bring that mech back because the CT is its irreplaceable "soul" and you lose the engine. Definitely a lot worse than putting it in the sides.
I was idly toying with the Blackjack, as mentioned, and trying to fit RAC2s into it. Turns out it's pretty easy, so I went on autopilot mode and left the ammo in the same location and threw a CASE on.

Yeah... :negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Libluini posted:

Turns out I still have some colors, but they're basically the consistence of granite now. Can I save them somehow, maybe by mixing some water in? Or can I throw my old colors into the trash now?
If you can grind them up fine enough they'll probably be somewhat rescuable but the effort really isn't worth it if they've dried beyond being gummy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Owlbear Camus posted:

look at this idiot who's never laid out 1500 mapsheets and spend a month of 12 hour shifts running a battalion-on-battalion game.
If you do movement by Lance you'll get it done in an evening :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

or maybe try usong popular gaming assistamt Flechs Sheets. anyone itt heard of this?
I dislike it on principle because one of the shitlords who used to play in Dublin would turn up with four of the same mech and use to hide the fact that he simply wasn't marking damage on his mechs by claiming "you hit the other one last turn".

This is a very specific problem but I am absolutely fine with dying on that hill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Accept that the Goblin can only transport a single squad and you normally want to deploy platoons and write off that ton of cargo bay as wasted. Or just run the "Sealed" variant and have fun with a Snubbie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Hatchetman doesn't show up until 3023 but other than that I think it looks fine. I think the SLDF were still fielding homogenous companies at the start of the Taurian war if that makes any difference to you, but this could easily be a unit that's already pretty worn down by the fighting and making do with salvage from whatever is around.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The blackjack, centurion and especially the hatchetman are also much too new.
The Blackjack had been around for three years by the New Vandenberg Crisis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It had a bad reputation but the SLDF passed it to Hegemony militia units, who threw it Taurian-wise when they ended up being committed to combat (when Amaris was moving RWR troops into garrisons that Hegemony militia units would have held...) which is why the Capellans and FedSuns ended up with them. Maybe this SLDF unit re-recaptured it from the Taurians and was able to get it back into working order?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a cyborg mug posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, I know some people also just use D12s
This is a terrible idea for so many reasons.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Second double post of the day for another reminder that most players I've met who want to nerd out about the construction rules only want to make literally the most optimal damage-per-round-at-range designs anyways.
The ones who really want to nerd out about the construction rules know what mods are viable in each mech repair facility and limit themselves to the ones that are possible only when you have a dropship or less support.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

smug jeebus posted:

D4s roll like poo poo though, no game should use them
Throw "rounded D4" into google and make yourself feel better.

raverrn posted:

There's either a fourth phase or intermediate phase when you realize "making the best mech for the weight" is a suckers game that'll get you mobbed every time and you start to figure out how BV works. That's the guy who inexplicably loves VSPLs and UAC/5s.
An IRL friend of mine learned how the BV system works and is a nightmare to play against competitively because of that. He's also really good at positioning and has slightly ridiculous luck too, so it's a perfect storm. He gets away with it by also being an incredibly nice guy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

The contempt in this thread for people who want to play BattleTech as a game and not as a space-themed historicals self-flaggelation engine is really discouraging.
It's weird that you'd call it that because people here are indicating that playing with the kind of person who min-maxes their build in any game tend to suck the fun out of playing and thus indulging them is its own form of self-flaggelation engine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

We both know it isn't, but if we're going to be splitting hairs on my "please stop calling me an rear end in a top hat" request I'll just take the L and catch the next conversation.
I mean you've picked this same fight in multiple threads about multiple games for as long as I can remember your usename existing on these here forums so... maybe stop using a suboptimal posting strategy? :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Owlbear Camus posted:

I simply divide the agreed BV by 215 and bring that many Savannah Masters.
Divide it by 13 and bring that many NapFinds instead.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Forever Faithful will make a lot more sense to you if you check out the author's twitter feed.

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's still kind of wild to me it got a whole-rear end Saturday Morning cartoon. I guess it just "feels" like a niche grognard thing with all the hexes and tables and poo poo, even though it's had AAA studio game releases in the Mechwarrior series.
It's gone through cycles of being the first- or second-place wargame by sales and player volumes, and then being a niche grognard thing where people spot you playing it and go "this game still exists?!?!?"

PeterWeller posted:

The one thing I'll give them credit for with the Capellans is they decided to make their space commies Chinese instead of Russian. At least they went with the second instead of first most obvious choice there.
I have bad news for you about the Tikonov Commonality...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

School Nickname posted:

Thanks for the info. To be honest the dude at the store was helpful and gave me fair warning, mentioning that I could just download the core rulebook (great salesman lol). Was just wondering if elements of AGoAC were required. It's one of the only stores with any amount of Battletech outside of Dublin, likely the best Battletech-selling hobby store in the country. Plus they have demo days on Fridays, so I'll head over there to learn if needed.
C'mere to me. I'll throw you a DM.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

School Nickname posted:

Have a day off next Friday so will definitely be attending. They've also organised a convention later this month at the local rugby stadium that covers all the popular games that they sell, with free Battletech demos as well. They've hosted Euro BT tournaments there as well so yeah my guess is they're well experienced.
You've given me enough information to confirm that I bought mechs from them over 20 years ago, when they were the only shop on the entire island carrying BattleTech at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

A lot of the early "background" fiction in BT was copy-pasta from real history. The New Avalon Catholic Church is another big one that is kind of dumb when you think about it for more than a few seconds.
I mean, it's not at all when you know that the Society of Saint Pius X exists, and that they have their own schismatics called the Society of Saint Pius X Resistance who are extra mad about Vatican II and think that "mainstream" SSPX priests aren't mad enough about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, the Anglican church is basically the same trajectory too, just older. It's a quick shorthand for adding some flavour to the world in a way that's incredibly silly but also really plausible because it just keeps happening.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What DI said, but if you think this is bad look at what FASA did with the Church of Ireland in Shadowrun :negative:

Sometimes you just gotta accept that a lot of this stuff was laid down in vague terms before the internet existed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've always viewed it as: the New Avalon Catholic Church was on the verge of breaking away over policy reasons anyway (such as: allowing priests to marry and allowing women to be priests, both important given how frontier a lot of Davion space is) and the "misunderstood phone call" was just a convenient excuse.

They pushed through a lot of their policy changes almost immediately after breaking away. Like, the phone call wasn't even over before the New Avalon Pope had a 'priests can marry' doctrine finished and signed.

They misunderstood it in the same kssschk kssschk--orry going int--kssshck--space tunnel an--kssschk kssschk--you back once--kssschk ksschk--civil war is over.
I mean...

You've got an in with CGL right? Get a Shrapnel pitch written.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I'd do it but I still need to get my story about Leonard Kurita's drinking saving the Draconis Combine published (after my current piece which is in editing rn).
I'd do it too but apparently I'm not cool enough.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of the reasons I'm painting up some Arano Royal Guard right now is I like the idea of a polity where Samoan and Urdu are languages that all government documents need to be published in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I think the MPLs are too large on the Sag. Makes the mini look smaller than 95 tons. Torso looks nice though.

Come to think of it that was kind of a problem with TRO: 3067 in general though.
Yeah there were an awful lot of huge guns in that book. The Saggitaire is just the worst offender by being a 95 ton mech that looks like it could be anything from 35 tons up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Also the Bolan region and the Principality of Regulus.

I gotta give most disproportional guns to the Ninja-to. "Hey how big is an ER Large Laser?" "I dunno, literally as big as you can make a gun?"
I guess they were always intended to be PPCs?

Strobe posted:

I've got a Wolf Beta Galaxy Cluster I'm painting up, and got the first one finished today. Doing some new things with the front hexside and decals. I'm pretty happy with it! 19 'Mechs and a star of Elementals to go for the initial group:

I like what you've done with the hexside here. Pretty and functional.