Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Elon Musk 2040.

Unless he can magic up some ancestry docs we’re safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finger Prince posted:

Elon Musk 2040.

Thankfully, he's not a natural born citizen

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just a reminder that the current President pushed to the public, and believes, that the last President wasn't actually born in the US and is from Kenya despite ample evidence to the contrary.

Don't think that crazy logic can't be somehow flipped to make them think that Elon was actually secretly born in Utah or something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

Make absolutely sure it has the CCS fast charging option. I cannot believe a car with >100mi range was ever offered without it.

Yup, I've seen some otherwise fully loaded Premier models that have every package except for the DC Fast Charge. No idea why you'd order something like that for such a price.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Squibbles posted:

Finally got out in the car today and remembered to record some audio. You can hear the hum start in around 19 seconds into the video. Seems to start when you hit around 60-70km/h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR68Y2uXcf4

Sorry for the filth in the car. I was using it to take a lot of scrap wood and such to the dump before we moved and haven't gotten around to cleaning it yet

Hey duder, I posted this on the Reddit EV Discord as someone else has the same car you do and he did some digging around:

quote:

Yeah based on the pitch of the sound I'm going with bad wheel bearing as the most likely culprit. Could also be something up with the tire. Since it's kinda quiet, check the tires first!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va4TzzG5Rys

Heavy car on efficiency tires designed for a small car, bouncing up and down a bit in transport? I could see a tire issue happening there.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Dyson electric car that never happened

https://www.engadget.com/dysons-electric-car-n526-085341772.html

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Not as good as my car that never happened, which is powered by pixie dust batteries and goes 2000 miles on a charge.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mmm, great selling point, biggest wheels of any production car. Would have been great to see the second owners face when they need to shell out £15k on a set of tyres.

Also gently caress Dyson.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

Mmm, great selling point, biggest wheels of any production car. Would have been great to see the second owners face when they need to shell out £15k on a set of tyres.

Also gently caress Dyson.
My Dyson sucks like hell

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

one of the biggest complaints about early Bolts was that the seats were not comfortable

this is still true on 2020s! sources: my butt and back

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Westy543 posted:

Hey duder, I posted this on the Reddit EV Discord as someone else has the same car you do and he did some digging around:

Very interesting thanks for doing that!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheWevel posted:

this is still true on 2020s! sources: my butt and back

Ah, I thought they had been revised, guess not or not sufficiently!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ah, I thought they had been revised, guess not or not sufficiently!

I mean, they're fine. I never drive longer than an hour in them. Supposedly the 2021 Bolt was getting revised seats and interior but it's been pushed back. I'm glad I leased!

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

My s/o has never been bothered by the Bolt seats, and she drives an hour each way ish, coming from a Lexus RX. She said they've just never bothered her. Same for driving 4 hours each way to see my parents.

Personally on a good day, it doesn't bother me, but if my back is already hurting, it'll exaggerate it. I guess do a test drive, ymmv.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
2017 Bolt. Seats were bad at first, but I just put some padding in under the bottom. It took 10 minutes and is easy to do. Seats have been fine for lots of 2-3 hour drives. Not the most comfortable but they are fine for all the other things the car has going for it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f9Gkm81iYg

*I'm pointing at the "Stupid beaded seat cover" bit

If the seat is bad there are ways to get around it. I have a little cushion in my Niro because without it the seat pinches a nerve in my leg. Back in the day when I was delivering pizzas I had a beaded seat cover because it was comfy. There are ways to work around a car that is almost perfect except for the seat.

Chevy Bolts are great driving cars with cheap interiors. Don't buy a Bolt without the CCS fast charging ability. Buy a Bolt with the CCS fast charging ability.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:lol:

"we had a super secret electric car with groundbreaking solid-state batteries that totally worked, but we canceled it for unrelated reasons"

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

bawfuls posted:

:lol:

"we had a super secret electric car with groundbreaking solid-state batteries that totally worked, but we canceled it for unrelated reasons"

At the end it said the production cost was like $200,000 too. I'm sure that didn't help.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Also 2 minutes of googling revealed that Dyson took a ~$50M write down on their big solid state battery start up acquisition back in 2018

So yeah, pretty clear the miracle batteries weren't close to ready for prime time

If one actually had a killer, mass-producible, cost-competitive solid state battery, the obvious move would be to license it to a bunch of existing manufacturers. Not start your own car company.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The guy couldn't even build a decent public urinal, how did he expect to launch an EV company?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

VideoGameVet posted:

The guy couldn't even build a decent public urinal, how did he expect to launch an EV company?

Those... those things are urinals? I’ve been using them to dry my hands.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

one of the biggest complaints about early Bolts was that the seats were not comfortable

Oddly enough that was one of the selling points for us. My wife has arthritis and found the seats quite comfortable but I don't think that would be the case for a lot of people, especially if you aren't as skinny as she is.

I'm a bit meh about them. The longest drives so far have been 1.5 - 2 hours and they've been fine. We'll see what they're like when things open up a bit and we start travelling cross-province to see family again.

CannonFodder posted:

Chevy Bolts are great driving cars with cheap interiors. Don't buy a Bolt without the CCS fast charging ability. Buy a Bolt with the CCS fast charging ability.

Agreed. CCS seems to have been standard on Bolts sold in British Columbia. I can't believe GM sold them without in other places. Maybe that was the mythical base model that needed to come in at under $45k to qualify for our grants and rebates on the rest of the trim packages.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is the Bolt that much narrower than the Volt? From what people say about the Bolt seats I'm really surprised they're so much worse than the Volt's. I don't know anyone with a Bolt for me to compare. I would've figured they'd be the same or at least similar.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Those... those things are urinals? I’ve been using them to dry my hands.

Those... those things are hand dryers? No wonder everyone gets angry when I use them to piss in.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

Is the Bolt that much narrower than the Volt? From what people say about the Bolt seats I'm really surprised they're so much worse than the Volt's. I don't know anyone with a Bolt for me to compare. I would've figured they'd be the same or at least similar.

I sat in a 2018 Bolt during the last Drive Electric event. It was every bit as bad as they say. The seat was narrow and shallow. Felt like I was going to fall off.

The Gen2 Volt seats on the other hand I find comfortable and supporting. At least the cloth ones. I think the leather versions might be a bit different.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Godholio posted:

It is not so much they are so narrow overall, the problem with them was there was too much of a V cup on the bottom part of the seat, so it would pinch your hips in. The "fix" that a lot of people do is to put more padding on the bottom of the seat between the original padding and the wire frame. This elevates your hips above the V part of the seat and it acts like a normal seat from then on out. The back is also a not as padded but it doesn't seem to be a source of problems for most people.
The Volt has normal car seats that are about .5-1" wider than the Bolts if I recall.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The Bolt has bucket seats, while the Volt has more traditional seats. Bolts are definitely stiffer and I'm not convinced that the headrests aren't cement blocks with a cloth covering.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I emailed my adviser and said I would consider a midnight silver one as well. Give me my Tesla Elon!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

sorry, you've already been blacklisted

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

taqueso posted:

sorry, you've already been blacklisted

No I’ve No Joe’d.

Musk is a dumb chud now.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Bum the Sad posted:

Musk is a dumb chud now.

Now?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

He's less interested in hiding it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

I emailed my adviser and said I would consider a midnight silver one as well. Give me my Tesla Elon!

Model Ys look really nice in black! Saw one in person today! 😅

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Model Ys look really nice in black! Saw one in person today! 😅

And only $5k more than the 3!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

With all this pandemic stuff and only going in to work a few days a week, plus my girlfriend pretty much just coming over to my house, since she's in an apartment in a locked-down county, I'm down from an average of about 330Kwh a month to 160 for April, May's trending the same way. I'm never going to trash my battery before the warranty expires at this rate, Leafspy shows me at 92.05% SOH after 3 years and 26000 miles, that's with the lovely 30kw battery too.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Elviscat posted:

With all this pandemic stuff and only going in to work a few days a week, plus my girlfriend pretty much just coming over to my house, since she's in an apartment in a locked-down county, I'm down from an average of about 330Kwh a month to 160 for April, May's trending the same way. I'm never going to trash my battery before the warranty expires at this rate, Leafspy shows me at 92.05% SOH after 3 years and 26000 miles, that's with the lovely 30kw battery too.

Normal wear won't degrade the battery much. If the region you live in has summer days >40c30c, and you park your Leaf in the sun all the time, you'll see a pretty significant degradation from that.

Edit: 30c is still pretty hot.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 20, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

30c is pretty much the average in the summer here, we've never had a 40c day, which might account for why the battery's in such good shape, I should do a VIN lookup to see if it's a local car, dealer I bought it from buys good condition Leafs from all over the country, all around 20kmi, so I suspect mostly just off-lease, and has like 30 in stock at any given time, apparently if they don't sell after a few weeks they ship 'em up to Canada, where there's a huge demand for them?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

How old can these Blink charging stations be? Why do they all look like they've been abandoned in the woods since the 80's?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've got some of that stuff growing on my concrete after a few months. It's very damp and in the shade though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You're in the PNW too right? I don't think all the rain helps, but I'm also pretty sure these things were designed in CA, for CA, those plastics aren't a good material to use outside, and every single one of those big screens (the top black bit) I've seen are broken, except for a brand new installation.