Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

They have EV garbage trucks in San Francisco. They're loving wild not hearing PSSSHHTT CLICK CLICK VRRRR BEEP BEEP VROOOOOOOOOOM KATHUNK every time they stop to collect trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Elviscat posted:

Cement trucks can achieve about 5mph climbing the hill next to my house, they are very loud doing so and I will also take Tesla cement trucks.

Isn't that kinda the perfect application for electric too? 1-2 sub 100 mile trips a day?

I read some article about school buses being electric since they don't need to go far, there's usually little to no highway usage (on a normal school day) and the route is extremely fixed. Why it hasn't happened is puzzling

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
I've been hauling around a caravan or a trailer up and down mountains in Western Norway in my stealth performance Model 3 the last week.

Having unlimited torque was really comfortable, but also a bit scary. Definitely had to use chill mode to not be afraid of ripping the caravan apart!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I read some article about school buses being electric since they don't need to go far, there's usually little to no highway usage (on a normal school day) and the route is extremely fixed. Why it hasn't happened is puzzling
Finances. School districts have limited money and existing school buses have an average age of 9+ years with buses being replaced at 12+ year mark. It's not an attractive market in invest in.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Tesla delayed my drat car until Thursday, can’t find any drivers to come to the Covid infested hell hole that is San Antonio.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Yuns posted:

Finances. School districts have limited money and existing school buses have an average age of 9+ years with buses being replaced at 12+ year mark. It's not an attractive market in invest in.
Total cost of ownership over 12 years would probably be a lot lower for an EV school bus once the batteries are robust enough to survive that many cycles. It might even be pretty inexpensive to build too, because it wouldn't need the kind of bulk and power that a tesla semi has. I mean seriously, a Nissan Leaf Plus has as much horsepower as the average school bus.

Bum the Sad posted:

Tesla delayed my drat car until Thursday, can’t find any drivers to come to the Covid infested hell hole that is San Antonio.

drat...

My car needs to be shipped from California to Chicago, another thing I'll have to worry about (assuming it stays my car and doesn't also get sold to someone local).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
School buses also spend most of the time parked in the sun in an uncovered parking lot. This probably doesn't hurt ICE buses that badly, but it definitely won't do wonders for batteries.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Elviscat posted:

Cement trucks can achieve about 5mph climbing the hill next to my house, they are very loud doing so and I will also take Tesla cement trucks.

Isn't that kinda the perfect application for electric too? 1-2 sub 100 mile trips a day?
Cement trucks and other heavy haulers are limited by weight so they have trucks with 50 gallons of fuel so they can carry more cement / other stuff. Big heavy batteries mean less cargo.

Watching the Tesla Semi is unnerving because it doesn't shift. It just goes. There's no hitch from shifting gears, there's no hesitation. It's all go go go. It's very smooth.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I posted about it a month or 2 ago but dieselgate settlement money is going toward the state of Washington buying 45 electric school busses.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

gwrtheyrn posted:

School buses also spend most of the time parked in the sun in an uncovered parking lot. This probably doesn't hurt ICE buses that badly, but it definitely won't do wonders for batteries.

Solar panels on the roof, hook into battery cooling first and then trickle-charge top-up with what's left.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This is impressive

https://twitter.com/TheSteveReilly/status/1277145708513148929?s=20

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Love how he is still only considering canceling his other Tesla order.

Its almost as if its a bad idea to try to pump out a completely new car during a pandemic!
Its pretty amazing how the true believers get shafted the most by Tesla. "Heres your car you've preordered two years ago, its only half working but we'll fix it in a couple of months! Maybe...we still haven't figured out how to get the seats lined up!"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

His line of “we all make mistakes”. Yeah, you’re making one right now by not demanding they take this pile of poo poo back. Most of these issues should have been evident when you took possession of the car so I’m shocked he accepted it in this condition.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Unlike giant mining trucks, a semi won't have all of the weight over the driven, thus regen-braking, wheels. It probably is still a noticeable effect, but I doubt it's replacing air brakes

It would replace “Jake Brakes”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

His line of “we all make mistakes”. Yeah, you’re making one right now by not demanding they take this pile of poo poo back. Most of these issues should have been evident when you took possession of the car so I’m shocked he accepted it in this condition.

I hadn’t clicked on the tweet and I thought it was issues he found when he rejected delivery.

He loving accepted it? Lmao

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One amazing thing about that tweet is that it is not the only car with a mismatched color door that I've seen posted about just this week. I've found Rich Rebuilds videos really informative about how the cars are built and what issues can arise. The ability of Tesla superfans to rationalize nearly any QC or manufacturing problem or design issue is insane. I'm bringing a flashlight and calipers and checklist whenever I pick up my Model 3. I'm really hoping I get a good model 3 because if I have to reject delivery I probably will just buy a different car. I really wish Porsche had a more economical EV because the Taycan prices are nuts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

One amazing thing about that tweet is that it is not the only car with a mismatched color door that I've seen posted about just this week. I've found Rich Rebuilds videos really informative about how the cars are built and what issues can arise. The ability of Tesla superfans to rationalize nearly any QC or manufacturing problem or design issue is insane. I'm bringing a flashlight and calipers and checklist whenever I pick up my Model 3. I'm really hoping I get a good model 3 because if I have to reject delivery I probably will just buy a different car. I really wish Porsche had a more economical EV because the Taycan prices are nuts.

https://twitter.com/hno081076/status/1277269768857440256?s=20

This is just being picky!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Oh you want wheels with your car? You must be a TSLA short!

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Yuns posted:

I looked pretty hard when I got my model 3 before accepting and it was fine, paint, gaps, all the stuff looked perfect. Has been great for the past 9 months so not everything has issue. (was an august 2019 build)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yuns posted:

Shame Rich Rebuilds went down the youtube fame hole after a while. His early videos pulling wrecked teslas apart were great.

ClassH posted:

I looked pretty hard when I got my model 3 before accepting and it was fine, paint, gaps, all the stuff looked perfect. Has been great for the past 9 months so not everything has issue. (was an august 2019 build)

That's probably around the peak for production quality from Tesla for the 3 :downs:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

So I checked in with Tesla about my Model 3 delivery and apparently when you say that you want delivery within a specific month they make your order inactive and don't assign you a VIN or build even though the projected lead time is 8-12 weeks.

So if you are in June and say you don't want delivery right now but are looking for August delivery instead of saying ok and finding you a VIN building in that expected 8-12 week wait time, they put you to the far back of the queue and then search for the VIN later making it August+the lead time which could be August+8-12 weeks. So now I'm at the back of the line so I just told them that I'd take delivery whenever so they are back to making my order active. I really wish I knew that they processed orders in that way before asking for August delivery.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 30, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

So I checked in with Tesla about my Model 3 delivery and apparently when you say that you want delivery within a specific month they make your order inactive and don't assign you a VIN or build even though the projected lead time is 8-12 weeks.

So if you are in June and say you don't want delivery right now but are looking for August delivery instead of saying ok and finding you a VIN building in that expected 8-12 week wait time, they put you to the far back of the queue and then search for the VIN later making it August+the lead time which could be August+8-12 weeks. So now I'm at the back of the line so I just told them that I'd take delivery whenever so they are back to making my order active. I really wish I knew that they processed orders in that way previously.

Clowncar

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol why. Just why at this point.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Car manufacturers are dragging their feet on electrification part 8754789543935: https://electrek.co/2020/06/30/toyota-cuts-output-of-rav4-prime-plug-in-hybrid-for-us/

quote:

Three weeks after introducing the RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid in Japan, Toyota suspended orders in its home market and cut production for the US to just 5,000 vehicles. The company cited unexpectedly high levels of consumer interest and a…wait for it…constraint in battery supply.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Car manufacturers are dragging their feet on electrification part 8754789543935: https://electrek.co/2020/06/30/toyota-cuts-output-of-rav4-prime-plug-in-hybrid-for-us/

Wow what a loving hack job. "so yeah so you can slap a compliance label on this one".
Regardless of not anticipating supply chain bottlenecks, the initial run of 5000 for the US market will sell out in California alone. What obligation do they have to equally distribute them across the country? I doubt Porsche is selling any Taycans in Mississippi.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

They don't. Rav4 hybrids were sold out for multiple months last year. Those 5,000 cars are going to have a ton of markup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
everyone's supply chains are still extremely hosed up from COVID-19 so i'm gonna go ahead and file this one under "not a massive conspiracy"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Many manufacturers making hybrids have been running hand to mouth on batteries for months if not years at this point, it really is the limiting factor on supply chains.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Many manufacturers making hybrids have been running hand to mouth on batteries for months if not years at this point, it really is the limiting factor on supply chains.

But why though? How does a commodity part like this, used by all major manufacturers, remain in short supply for years?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Because they're buying in the open market instead of vertically integrating it as god intended? :v:

(High-quality batteries are not that easy to make, and there's a non-trivial amount of supply chain bullshit to deal with in addition to them being plain complicated things to make with consistently good quality across long production runs)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It's not like the industry isn't expanding, but there's a limit to how fast you can ramp up production on physical products. It just hasn't kept up with demand which so far has increased faster

From reddit, battery production capacity from 2010 to 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

But why though? How does a commodity part like this, used by all major manufacturers, remain in short supply for years?

Tesla buying / monopolizing supply chains is the main answer at the moment. If a car maker wants batteries, the options of getting something that doesn't have Tesla's fingers in the pot is getting limited (not entirely sure how accurate that is but Mercedes getting boned when Tesla bought their supplier is a good example) or suppliers have been locked out of majority of raw material supply as Tesla suppliers locked that in first too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

first of all, not really a commodity, and second of all, it takes time to stand up physical manufacturing capacity

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Lol my car is coming in tonight. Tesla just called and tried to get me to come pick it up at 10pm. I told them to gently caress off.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol my car is coming in tonight. Tesla just called and tried to get me to come pick it up at 10pm. I told them to gently caress off.
That's some Q2 desperation right here when the saleperson will hang around until 10 pm just to eek the car into the quarter.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Yuns posted:

That's some Q2 desperation right here when the saleperson will hang around until 10 pm just to eek the car into the quarter.

Yeah when I told her I had to be in the OR at 7 she was cool.

Since I’m a ~*~health care hero~*~

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tesla buying / monopolizing supply chains is the main answer at the moment. If a car maker wants batteries, the options of getting something that doesn't have Tesla's fingers in the pot is getting limited (not entirely sure how accurate that is but Mercedes getting boned when Tesla bought their supplier is a good example) or suppliers have been locked out of majority of raw material supply as Tesla suppliers locked that in first too.

So when do we think the dam will break? Is more mining happening/raw material coming on line? I mean, it seems kinda crazy that toyota, Hybrid king, doesn't have sufficient battery supply for a hybrid car. Granted it's not their usual chemistry, but come on, was no one thinking that they might want to lock down some supply before tesla released the model 3, or did they just assume tesla would fall flat on their face?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

CATL says they're ready to produce their new million mile batteries if anyone places an order, but it's not like Toyota can just instantly redesign the RAV4 to make use of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

So when do we think the dam will break? Is more mining happening/raw material coming on line? I mean, it seems kinda crazy that toyota, Hybrid king, doesn't have sufficient battery supply for a hybrid car. Granted it's not their usual chemistry, but come on, was no one thinking that they might want to lock down some supply before tesla released the model 3, or did they just assume tesla would fall flat on their face?

there wasn't even supply widely available before the model 3

yes there is more capacity coming on line but these things take time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I dont think anyone expected Tesla to do something intelligent