Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rich Rebuilds is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of01p0Q-yUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

ratbert90 posted:

An extra 220lbs and twice the battery capacity. 4 motors as well.
Again, it doesn’t seem unreasonable.

A model 3 battery pack weighs about 1000lbs. So how is doubling the capacity resulting in only 220# extra "reasonable"? The casing itself is about 275# so the total battery weight is 725#. So even if they somehow were able to double the capacity without adding a single # into the structure itself, we should expect an additional 700#. That's without touching on the additional electric motors that are mentioned.

ilkhan posted:

Weight is also far less important when you can just throw more amps at it at for short durations to counter.

It's like any other engineering challenge, there are tradeoffs. Sure you can "throw more amps" at it, but then you sacrifice range heavily. Which you can counter by adding more battery, but then you need to throw more amps to get the same speeds, so you add more battery....

Also electric motors only have so much power; the more dead weight you have the less towing capacity you'll be able to have. Granted that probably doesn't matter for this vehicle since the intended audience would never tow or go off road with the thing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You throw more amps at it when you floor it, not 100% of the time.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

ratbert90 posted:

You throw more amps at it when you floor it, not 100% of the time.

If I have two vehicles that have the same motor in it and one weighs 2000# and one weighs 4000# will the 4000# vehicle require more or less energy per unit time to maintain the same speed as the 2000# vehicle? Assume that their crosssections and coefficients for drag are the same and the difference is weight.

Once you answer that you can address why you think doubling the battery capacity of a Model 3 would only add 220# lol

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

A model 3 battery pack weighs about 1000lbs. So how is doubling the capacity resulting in only 220# extra "reasonable"? The casing itself is about 275# so the total battery weight is 725#. So even if they somehow were able to double the capacity without adding a single # into the structure itself, we should expect an additional 700#. That's without touching on the additional electric motors that are mentioned.

Maybe they use more aluminum than Tesla? The lightest version of the current F-150 weighs only 4000 pounds with a length of 210 inches. The Rivian is 215 inches and 5840 pounds, that's nearly 2000 pounds heavier, seems reasonable. For comparison the Kona EV with its 64 kwh battery weighs 1000 pounds more than the gasoline Kona with no weight saving measures like using aluminum for the body.

From breakdowns of Tesla cars we know they are overly heavy with many unnecessary structures. Rivian's car body could simply be better engineered.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 1, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Raldikuk posted:

Tesla's battery packs kind of suck as far as energy density, they use less than ideal small cylindrical cells which both reduce energy density and require more structural rigidity in the pack to keep it from breaking.

I mean it's not the worst design trade off if you wanted to make a shitload of them cheaply several years ago but there is are very good reasons everyone else isn't making battery packs this way and Tesla is kind of married to Panasonic and the Gigafactory for the foreseeable future.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yup. Tesla’s battery packs have hundreds of cylindrical cells. Everyone else uses lighter, bigger, flexible pouch cells.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Quit falling for this poo poo.

One of the things holding back adoption of electric cars is what shyster salesmen have advertised as being possible being so much better than reality.

Stop letting shitbag salesmen run the world because you want to believe in what they're selling.

here's a blast from the past.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461390&userid=158277&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post477115752

guess what, this thing is still, STILL, STILL in the pre-order phase, down to "722" ft/lbs of torque, and up to 5,500lbs.FOUR THOUSAND POUNDS heavier than a 4 seat rzr 1000.

Stop loving falling for it. put rubber on the road or shut the gently caress up. The $35,000 model 3 doesn't exist until the first person to pay $35,000 for one drives their car. The 400 mile, 3 second 0-60 pickup from a silicon valley start up doesn't exist until it has plates on it. stop comparing what does exist against what a salesman says might some day.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 1, 2018

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

From breakdowns of Tesla cars we know they are overly heavy with many unnecessary structures. Rivian's car body could simply be better engineered.
Are you trying to say poo poo like the plastic control arm is overweight? I certainly doing it's overengineered, at least not well engineered.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:toxx: I'll take a ban if a Rivian vehicle is sold to the public with a 400 mile range, 180kwh battery, and 3.0 0-60 in 2020.

quote this to accept the opposite. Tell me i'm wrong.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You're pretty angry about a probably non-existent truck.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are you trying to say poo poo like the plastic control arm is overweight? I certainly doing it's overengineered, at least not well engineered.

2019 Ram 1500 has plastic control arms too, so it' might not be a bad idea. Would Chrysler let a truck leave the factory with under engineered suspension?

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2018/01/22/2019-ram-1500-cuts-up-to-nearly-225-lbs-with-high-strength-steel-some-aluminum/

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 1, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

You're pretty angry about a probably non-existent truck.

I'm not angry specifically about the truck. I'm angry about the attitude that even brings it into the discussion.

We're a society of salesmen. Ruled by, controlled by, and this is just an extension. Its the same reason i go in so hard on musk cultists.

quote:

Would Chrysler let a truck leave the factory with under engineered suspension?

They'd probably sue anybody else who tried for a trademark violation at this point.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

I'm not angry specifically about the truck. I'm angry about the attitude that even brings it into the discussion.

We're a society of salesmen. Ruled by, controlled by, and this is just an extension. Its the same reason i go in so hard on musk cultists.

They'd probably sue anybody else who tried for a trademark violation at this point.

Nobody gives a poo poo about the loving truck. Their claims seem superficially plausible - that is all anyone is arguing. It remains to be seen what they can actually do.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I don’t care about the truck but it’s pretty funny to see Powershift riled up some about some vapor ware vehicle

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I don’t care about the truck but it’s pretty funny to see Powershift riled up some about some vapor ware vehicle

I'm still pissed about the Carbon Motors E7

there were supposed to be a whole bunch of 400hp 40mpg diesel RWD cop cars everywhere by now :argh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

I'm still pissed about the Carbon Motors E7

there were supposed to be a whole bunch of 400hp 40mpg diesel RWD cop cars everywhere by now :argh:

WHERE IS MY GOD drat GTD? WHERE IS IT VW?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Was Carbon Motors not a real car? I thought it was, it didn't have any breakthrough technology or anything it was just a dumb idea that made no economic sense.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Was Carbon Motors not a real car? I thought it was, it didn't have any breakthrough technology or anything it was just a dumb idea that made no economic sense.

Oh, no, it was totally real, and it was going to have a BMW diesel only with more power, better performance and better fuel economy.

Pre-order now!

Just note that your 100% refundable deposit will be repaid by check by Big Donnie's King Sized Dildos, so cash that check if you really want to explain it to your boss.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Powershift posted:

Oh, no, it was totally real, and it was going to have a BMW diesel only with more power, better performance and better fuel economy.

Pre-order now!

Just note that your 100% refundable deposit will be repaid by check by Big Donnie's King Sized Dildos, so cash that check if you really want to explain it to your boss.

I'm pretty sure the much, much, much larger issue is the idea that police departments would make purchasing decisions based on objective needs and technical data.

But cops don't drive around in Honda Civics, they drive around in Ford SUVs that hotbox them with CO.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Three Olives posted:

I'm pretty sure the much, much, much larger issue is the idea that police departments would make purchasing decisions based on objective needs and technical data.

But cops don't drive around in Honda Civics, they drive around in Ford SUVs that hotbox them with CO.

but they had over 10,000 preorders! https://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/12/carbon-motors-reports-10-000-pre-orders-for-diesel-powered-e7-po

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Throatwarbler posted:

Would Chrysler let a truck leave the factory with under engineered suspension?

This part IS a joke, right? Chrysler lets vehicles leave the factory with all kinds of poo poo hosed up.

Edit: Oh, ok good.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 1, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

This part IS a joke, right? Chrysler lets vehicles leave the factory with all kinds of poo poo hosed up.

I think he was jokingly referring to that small period between 1994 and 2007 when dodge trucks had a notorious reputation for the front suspension completely collapsing every 60,000 miles.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Gee, I wonder what significant financial event was about to happen that would negatively impact new startups right about that time. If only I could remember...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

I think he was jokingly referring to that small period between 1994 and 2007 when dodge trucks had a notorious reputation for the front suspension completely collapsing every 60,000 miles.

Good times now they only last 30,000 miles.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Duck and Cover posted:

It is ugly. I have spoken and so shall it be.

If a CUV/tall hatchback body is what's necessary to make the necessary room for batteries, I'm OK with that.

Ideally most people should be using electric public transit and bicycles, but this is acceptable for those who can't.

E: And if rebranding tall hatchbacks as "CUVs" is what it takes to make people actually buy boxy little practical cars, I'm all for that as well.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 2, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raldikuk posted:

If I have two vehicles that have the same motor in it and one weighs 2000# and one weighs 4000# will the 4000# vehicle require more or less energy per unit time to maintain the same speed as the 2000# vehicle? Assume that their crosssections and coefficients for drag are the same and the difference is weight.

Maybe I'm confused on the argument, but on a flat road, same Cd and area at constant speed means same drag, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both cars will have the same aerodynamic drag, yes, and will both require the same amount of engine/motor power to counteract this drag when maintaining a constant speed. The heavier car will coast longer when you turn the engine off, though, because it has more inertia.

In reality it's not quite that clean; the heavier car will probably have increased driveline drag (wider tire contact patches, more load on bearings, etc), which will require anywhere from a touch more to significantly more power to counteract. A Nissan Leaf containing a thousand pounds of sandbags will draw more power in cruise than a Nissan Leaf containing only the driver.

A more important factor when discussing electric vehicles' weight is the energy required to accelerate it. Bringing a large mass up to speed in some fixed time takes more power than accelerating a small mass to the same speed in the same time. So your Leaf full of sandbags is going to burn a ton more juice keeping up with traffic than the empty one will. You get some of that back through regeneration (the heavier car having more kinetic energy to return to the batteries), but of course due to system losses and battery limits you'll never recapture 100%.

tl;dr if you overinflated the tires and drove like a grandma then you might be able to make your heavy car draw the same power per mile as a light car, at least to within a small margin

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 2, 2018

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ulf posted:

Motorcycle post:

I just made a salesguy at Grand Prix Motorsports very happy and picked up a 2018 Zero SR (https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/) with the Charge Tank option (J1772 @ 6kW charging). It was $2350 off for the demo model.

Trip report: I've been riding dirt bikes for 30 years, so it took me a few miles to get over the lack of clutch and shift peg. After that I started to relax, and was a little surprised how mild the acceleration was — faster than what I'm used to but not unreasonable. Then I remembered the bike has a "MODE" switch and that they started me in "Eco" mode. Flipped it to "Sport" mode and melted my face off.

Hell yeah! Get the Zero app and change the settings to 100% torque, 100% regen for the world’s smoothest v-twin feel. The SR I test rode was a shitload of fun, and it was a heavy fight in my head between the FXS and the SR.

Good call on the charge tank, too. The extra battery doesn’t make sense unless you live in an EV charging desert. The 6kW charging is insane and I wish I had something close to that for mine, it’d make a Sunday morning in the mountains a lot less hair-raising.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Little track review of the Mountain Pass Performance Tesla Model 3

Basically just brakes, coilovers, and 18x10 square with 275 RE71Rs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nZpJkcGYM

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:lol:

Just watched this follow up video, dude just can not handle the fact that people called him out on his dangerously cavalier attitude in the first one

Even after (briefly) explaining what went wrong in this one, he gets right back to "lol i blew up some batteries and no one got hurt, nbd haters gonna hate!"

He's also extremely dismissive of the idea that he, being someone high profile in the burgeoning DIY EV community, has a responsibility to that community to set a good example. It's one thing for him to build a gimmicky toy like this which lacks basic safety systems (already bad imo), it's another for him to then be so casual when it burns down on him.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Here is my capsule review of a weekend with a Model 3 which I posted in the yospos tesla thread. I will save you from having to read that as it's one of the most insane groupthink brainworms threads I have read in eleven years on these here forums.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

man this car handles correct. it's a perfect balance of light, tight, and responsive. it's most definitely better than every audi and bmw i've driven, and i fucken love audis. together with the no-transmission acceleration and instant torque, this is a very addicting car to drive. the suspension is similarly balanced between comfort and "sport", it both handles rough roads well and corners right. there's almost no bodyroll, but thats more a center-of-gravity thing with the battery "skateboard." braking is good, i might like more sensitivity though - like if i so much as rest my foot on the brake pedal on my a6, it engages, and im into that.

the interior is good too. i would compare it to a mercedes CLA. there's room for refinement, its not audi level, but its not bad by any means.

i'm warming up to the big-screen-in-the-middle thing. i think the underlying paradigm is correct, and once you get used to it, it does seem like a better place to have the speedometer, or at least, the visibility benefit is well worth it.

while its better than say, xdrive or audi mmi, the ui needs a lot of work, and some things like climate control should get their physical switchgear back. the car radar display thing in particular is buggy and inaccurate, but its a really good safety feature when merging, and id rather have it in this state than not at all. this one doesnt have autopilot so i didnt test that

so far, my only major gripe with the model 3 is road noise. its not horrendous, like on the 9-3 i drove in college, but its much more noticeable than it ought to be especially without an IC engine to cancel it out. at this price, it should be way quieter.

there arent any panel gap issues on this example, and even though it was very dewy this morning, i couldnt find any condensation in the taillights either. i dont doubt that people are having these, and other issues - the cold weather problems in particular sound pretty serious - but i can also see why they generally qualify those legitimate complaints with "but i love this car."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Road noise is my biggest complaint with my 2016 S too. I don’t know why they neglected it (weight?) but I wish they hadn’t.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I bet I could make a lot of money selling a speed-indexed white noise generator for Teslas.

Other manufacturers just pipe in fake engine noise to help with their NVH :ssh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Gonna have to move to higher profile tires, more rubber in suspension bushings / strut mount, and more sound deadening to cover up noise normally handled by engine noise. Rip handling / performance / efficiency.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ulf posted:

I bet I could make a lot of money selling a speed-indexed white noise generator for Teslas.

Other manufacturers just pipe in fake engine noise to help with their NVH :ssh:

A lot of old Chevys have a stereo that automatically turns up the volume the faster you're going. I can't imagine that's a hard feature to add to the Tesla entertainment stack if it's not already there.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My '11 Jetta did it, too. Patent licensing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A lot of old Chevys have a stereo that automatically turns up the volume the faster you're going. I can't imagine that's a hard feature to add to the Tesla entertainment stack if it's not already there.

You don't know what else is coded into that same system though. You don't want the seat to start moving forward the faster you go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Speed sensitive volume is pretty basic stuff these days.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ilkhan posted:

Speed sensitive volume is pretty basic stuff these days.

I’d be surprised if you could find a single (non Tesla) car that doesn’t have it, I mean my basic model 05 Mazda 3 does...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In my test drive, the guy said that the Model S didn’t need it because the engine didn’t really get louder. So close.