Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ygolonac posted:

Story missions in Online: are those forced-multiplayer? The one Moonshiner one I did solo, but I went to help the Valentine sheriff and it wanted to matchmake. :( I'm loving antisocial, if I wanted to interact with non-NPCs I'd go to the horse store locally and jack one IRL.

Bad news: most story missions are 2-4 players so you'll be forced to matchmake.
Good news: you don't have to interact with the other players if you don't want to, and most other players just "play along" fine without being a bother.

Actually, I generally hate playing online due to toxic communities everywhere, but I've been playing RDO for like 9 days straight now, at least a couple hours every day and sometimes much more, and I met exactly 1 cheater and 1 person that killed me, twice. All the other dozens of players I met were either not interested in me (or in interacting in general I guess), or just nice people that waved / said "hello, partner" when crossing paths.

Oh, and once I was barreling full gallop down the road and another guy was barreling full gallop the opposite way. We collided head-on and flew off our horses, but no one died, so no harm done I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I completed a resupply mission, came back to camp with the cart full of supplies, when I get to the golden "you finish!" area the camp disappears, the hud goes blank, and there's nothing anymore. I go to the map and see the camp should still be there and sure, it's there once I'm out of the menu, but the mission didn't register as completed :argh: this is infuriating, fix your poo poo :rockstar:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

What's everyone favorite horse in Online? Especially looking for info about the role ones: Criollo, Kladruber, Norfolk, Breton

Criollo seems to be an alternative Missouri Fox Trotter, Breton an alternative Turkoman, the other two no idea really but the Kladruber has abysmal speed which isn't ok by me, I need to haul rear end. Would Criollo be the best for that?

I already have the 250$ red arabian at full bond, and I like it, even if it's a lot more skittish than any other horse I tried... but I'm at the point where some extra speed and stamina would make my life much easier since I'm running up and down to chase collectibles and trying to get back to the camp that Cripps keeps moving every 10 minutes to the opposite side of the region :argh:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 13, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well well I just took a look at my ranks and the only horse I'm even close to unlocking is the Criollo anyway, so I guess it'll have to do when I actually have extra money

Right now I just bought the large trading wagon so I hope I'll be stacking up cash a bit quicker from now on; I'm at 450$ and will need about 950$ for a decent horse plus 350$ for the horse lantern, and I'll be set for the near future. Then after that I can start actually planning to buy recipes and stuff (350$ just to be able to make small game arrows? What a deal :downsgun: )

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Game doesn't register stuff lately. Camp changes, missions that don't complete... Luckily it never ate money or gold yet, but it's a mess and very crash-prone

Hopefully now that Christmas period is over they can actually fix stuff and give us a patch?

Also unlocked bounty hunting, went off to do my first bounty and once I get there I have a prompt to find a "scouting position" but there's no sign, area or indication on the map. I get closer and see some enemies, I crouch but they still spot me, shooting starts, the bounty arrives and immediately flees, I try to give chase but I get sidetracked by 10 guys shooting at me, lose the bounty and fail the mission.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Do you have to use stealth? Because I am more of a guns-blazing type and really don't like stealth in this game especially

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SplitSoul posted:

In that scenario, only until the target arrives. They'll probably flee when the shooting starts, but unless the poster specified "alive"...

OK got it, hopefully next ones will be more shooty-shooty from the start, I was a bit confused :)

Is it still true that you have to turn in bounties as late as possible to maximize the reward, as I've read on many websites? It sounds like a really bad mechanic... like punishing you for working quickly and efficiently :confused:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

yeah same on RDR2 PC, 600mb patch yesterday

only patchnote I can find is "fixes and improvements to stability"

I logged in, went to my camp, and it wasn't there. Icon there, no cripps, no tables, no tents. Wonderful patch :rockstar:

(jokes aside, it would at least seem like it's faster to join sessions, and I don't get as many crashes / infinite loading / err_gfx_state as I was getting before the patch)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Squirrel Burger posted:

me, tipping my hat on my criollo, blowing past all you losers who got the slow rear end war horses to protect you from animals that won't spawn

Ooooh I want to be this.

Also, people say that the Arabian is the most skittish of all horse breed... but my newbie cheapo red arabian still hasn't bucked me off once in Online (in singleplayer it was buck-off-fest all the time on my white arabian), never got spooked in gunfights, and I even managed to keep it calm when a grizzly bear charged us.

If the Criollo is even slightly more brave than the arabian, it's a perfectly fine horse, and I'm not going to give away speeeeeeed for some extra health. I mean I'd love a horse that just never bucks you off like the Kladruber, but not at the cost of speed since it already takes forever to go around the map

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Uuuuuhhhh....

:captainpop:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh God I completed a bunch of collections and SO MUCH MONEY AND XP

got to club rank 100, the entire outlaw pass content is mine :toot: some things are useless but some are very nice. The husky is so :3:

Also since I was absolutely flush, I went off and spent a bunch of money. Pimped out my bolt-action, bought a LeMat and a Navy, and finally got the Nacogdoches saddle + 2/2 stirrups and a max level Criollo.

It's fantastic how it just flies through the map. In case of predators she's pretty skittish, true, but when I spot a red dot I just make her zoom, then I turn around and my bolt action goes boom. Problem solved! :)

What's everybody using for abilities? I've got Iron Lung and Peak Condition to capitalize on my always full stamina, the third slot I alternate Horsemen/Landon's patience for freeroaming/doing gunfights; for dead eye I have the basic one that slightly boosts damage because I basically never use it (in singleplayer I used it a ton as a crutch, in online without the slowdown it's basically useless)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 18, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Google Butt posted:

Is there a mod for PC that completely transforms the controls so that this game is enjoyable

Sure, buying an Xbox one controller (or similar)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yesterday I was galloping around, when I mistakenly grazed a mounted NPC's horse with my own horse. No collision, no one fell, just passing a bit too close and the horses' hitboxes must have touched each other slightly.

The dude went "I WILL KILL YOU LIKE A SICK DOG" and started shooting, I took off in hopes of avoiding having to kill him because I don't really like killing random NPCs, but he pursued and kept shooting me

so I turned around and gave him 100% of the recommended daily dose of lead, and I get penalized as a murderer? The dude literally starts shooting because I passed too close for his liking, and I'm the murderer? wtf :rockstar:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yup and when you have all roles unlocked you get extra challenges so you can really pile on the gold, up to 10 per day I think; I never bother, just do whatever happens to be easy or fun, and get about 2-3 gold at maximum multiplier just from dailies.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

Hey look, I provided Red Dead Online info without turning it into a youtube video like everyone else does for that sweet google money. Like and Subscribe.

Thanks a lot for this. We need more people like you because I can't really watch Youtube videos at work, but I can sure read a wall of text. Youtube has ruined the existence of people that like to read and are sort of bothered by random people speaking.

"here's a 5 minute long video about how to find a fence to jump over with your horse for today's daily challenge! Nevermind that you can literally ride for 30-60 seconds in any direction and you'll find a fence, you HAVE to see my video about it"

Zesty posted:

So I cleaned that up a bit and put it on the Red Dead Wiki and the administrator deleted it, calling it "irrelevant" and "nonsense." :downs:

... oh. :smith:

Am I the only one who's still basically rocking the starter/newbie outfit? Rank 56 now and I wear a leather jacket (switch to sheepskin jacket when cold), leather gloves, stalker hat, some basic pants and shirt, and preacher's boots - probably worth 100$ in total, less than what a single proper clothing item would cost :v: the only fancy thing I wear is the Ruby buckle from the Outlaw Pass because heck that's cool.

But I spent a ton of money making my camp pretty because eeeeh :v: I got the Collector theme because I love the idea of trinkets and stuff (somehow seems better than the Trader one that has EVEN MORE dead animals, guts and bones around since Cripps already leaves that poo poo in plain sight all the time), and I honestly can't wait to be able to afford a better tent, deluxe campfire, other themes and so on.

I'm eyeing the compass and gun belt from the Collector unique items, too, but money is kinda hard to come by in online. Collector can make a LOT of cash depending on what collections you can finish in relatively short time, but it's kinda exhausting going after a complete set from scratch

Trader nets a cool 500$ per full large wagon but it's slow to get there, have to hunt and resupply for quite a bit of time and I generally manage to do only one run every couple of days if I'm lucky and actually spend time on it, some days I can't be bothered at all

Moonshiner isn't there for making cash, at least starting out, it's probably the better and more well-thought role but 60-80$ per shipment after you have spent 10-30$ on mash, waited 30 minutes, used up ingredients for flavoring, made a couple bootlegger missions, probably killed a bunch of people, then drove a cart like the trader only YOU CAN'T HIT THE TINY ROCKS is almost insulting

Bounty Hunter hahahahha 6,50$ per bounty, oh well if you wait around 3-4 minutes to run the countdown near zero you get a big fat 10$ instead, screw youuuu

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 28, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Capn Beeb posted:

What have you done :ohdear:

Agreed, you monster

(I think I never ever saw a cat, even in singleplayer :( where can I find them?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

is there any reason to upgrade from the bolt action in online?

also can you toggle the scope on all snipers? i don't remember being able to do that on the rolling block in singleplayer

Wait what? As far as I know, Carcano and Rolling Block both have scope-only aiming like in singleplayer; I didn't test it because I don't want to waste money but if that's not true in online, I have to go buy them like right now (though I doubt it, that would actually be a good move by Rockstar and we can't have that)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 1, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

FuturePastNow posted:

I, too, tried to pet a cat and was disappointed

We need a camp cat that brings Cripps one small animal every hour.

This! Especially since Cripss is clearly not a dog person, he is berating and yelling at my husky all the time :( gently caress you Cripps, stop packing my camp or I'll have the dog bite you in the rear end while you sleep

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ugh, can't set up camp again, everytime I tried after 4-5 seconds of "your camp is being pitched" I get notified that Cripps has packed up my camp and it never appears. At least it's not charging me, but drat

Can't even access my moonshine shack right now

I'm starting to get a little pissed honestly, I could understand the trouble when the game just came out on PC, and after that there were the Christmas holidays, but it's february now and they're not even close to sorting their stuff out :smith: but sure they would like it if you'd buy some gold bars!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ygolonac posted:

You mean Cave Hermit, up near Hanging Dog?

What? Is Gavin actually in the game? :aaa:

Anyway, game = ~super pretty~ even if half the time the online doesn't work properly

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I can't recommend the Criollo (lvl20 collector version) enough. It's fast as gently caress and while people said it was more skittish than the other 2 role breeds, in my experience it's been a rock. I literally walked mine on top of a rattlesnake on purpose and she just whinnied a bit, same as when I got charged by a grizzly bear or chased by 3 wolves. She's easily spooked by gunfire, but if you're on the saddle she won't buck you off for just that (yeah she might die due to not having maxed out health at full bond, but still, any horse will die after eating 10 bullets and it's generally better to dismount for huge firefights)

The only annoying thing is that when you get off, unless you hitch her, she tends to wander around and you have to whistle for her or chase her down, but I can definitely live with that.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Moonshiner seems to be a huge money sink, everything even the first tier upgrades cost like 700-800$ minimum. And the money you make back for the effort is frankly ridiculous and insulting.

Other roles at least had relatively low costs for the early upgrades like 300$ which is a lot more reasonable and "saved" the truly expensive ones for the higher tiers, and trader and collector make you rich a lot quicker (esp. Collector if you abuse the online collector's map, in a day you can easily complete a few collections and make a thousand $ if you don't mind walking around all day, with literally no investment beside starting the role, and that only gets better once you have the shovel and metal detector)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 7, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jimbot posted:

Bootlegger is Trader but with half the effort and you don't have to rely on animal spawns or Crips working properly.

Uh, half the effort just doesn't sound right. Driving the wagon carefully to not smash your bottles is a pain in the rear end, moonshiner missions / deliveries are usually more difficult and risky than resupplies / trader deliveries and before you get the full set of equipment the payouts are lovely for the time involved.

At "max level" trader earns a little less than moonshiner (like 180$/hour vs 200-220$/hour) but moonshiner is way more involved - which can be a good thing or a bad thing, of course.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

moonshiner is click a button and deliver a wagon once every hour, trader you have to hunt a million animals (if they're even spawning) and do exactly one thousand resupplies to get a full wagon

i spend all my time between moonshine deliveries just hunting animals for cripps

Flavoring moonshine needs you to collect ingredients which can be time consuming or expensive, and I kinda hate the fact that buyers can change before you finish a batch. My problem is probably that I am just starting out and paying 10-30$ for mash to make 70-80$ worth of moonshine (assuming you flavor it and buyers don't change in the meantime and you don't damage the shipment) in 30 minutes sucks. I can do quite a lot of hunting in that time assuming spawns work. To get to the point where you can make proper money you need to invest time in missions/deliveries that basically don't pay out until you're high level and fork out 1700$ which is definitely not trivial.

I checked trader details and it's 1375$ for the necessary equipment (medium and large wagon), 4 resupplies and 200 materials to make 100 goods from scratch (which takes 200 minutes), some resupply missions give 20 materials and some give just 5. A perfect buck gives 12 materials, a perfect deer 8. With a bit of luck, hunting 10-15 perfect bucks/deer and making 4 resupplies with a 20 materials reward will max your goods. You don't have to pay a dime for it, too.

So it's actually pretty similar except that I actually enjoy hunting while I don't really care about the basic moonshiner missions (story ones are cool and I wish the other roles had them too)... As said I find trader a lot more passive because I am hunting animals for fun anyway, I just have to stop by in camp and donate, resupply if needed - usually takes 5-10 minutes - and deliver if storage is full after 3 hours or so without worrying too much about damaging stuff... while I have to actively start most moonshine things and pay attention to timers, find or buy ingredients for every batch, and mind the road for rocks or sharp turns and so on. Probably just personal preference and things might change once I get to higher moonshiner rank :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 7, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fourth disconnect "due to a fault in Rockstar game services" (no poo poo Sherlock!) in 1 hour of play.

One happened just as I was finishing one of the Moonshiner story missions and I haven't even checked if I got credit for it or anything because I was too pissed off. Guess it's better to play something else today :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh nice, social club poo poo the bed and there's no chance of logging in, been trying for 15 minutes now. Great timing, I really love when I can't play videogames on a sunday :v:

I don't want to just whinepost (even though RDO is an infuriatingly buggy mess), so do we have any actual data on what difference does a level 1 vs 2 vs 3 ability card make? I've got my favorites upgraded to level 2 (iron lung, peak condition, winning streak, fool me once) and not sure if I want to destroy my savings to get them all to level 3.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 9, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The fact that I have a 42 day streak going says a lot about my life, I guess. I even log in just for 10 minutes to whip out a quick challenge just to keep the streak and continue accumulating my 0.5-3 gold per day (which I don't know what to do with, I have like 65 and I already got the couple of cosmetics that I wanted - unless they come up with a bunch more roles, I'm pretty much already set for the next outlaw pass and then some)

Edit: writing this made me realize that I started playing RDO / fulfilling challenges on 1/1/2020, and that kind of compels me to make a 365 day streak. Madness!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I thought that Jack Marston stuff was proven to just be an npc that sounds like him.

Also these was a patch that was supposed to have done something about animal spawns. Rode my horse across the map and didn’t see a single animal. Great job.

Here's what some random website says :

quote:

[UPDATE - 12.25pm GMT] - According to the official patch notes showing on PS4, the new update released today is said to offer the following changes.

"Version 1.17 - Update 01.17 - General stability fixes and improvements"

Which seems somewhat at odds with the games sizable 3.8GB update.

Although based on reports, it doesn't sound as though the low animal counts have been fixed.

As noted by Red Dead Online Player, @ALifeOfMisery_, nothing seems to have changed:

"After downloading 1.17 I restarted my PS4 & cleared cache when starting RDR2.I'm currently in Great Plains, 23 player lobby, not so much as a bird in the sky and my camp is missing.Seems like a good use of 3.87gb."

This was then followed by, this:

"After a further full console shut down and a clearing cache, nothing has changed for me. 24 player lobby, I have ridden around Great Plains, Tall Trees & Hennigan's Stead, I've seen a couple of wild horses and maybe a handful of Ravens. That's it. Also can't get camp to pitch."

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PaybackJack posted:

Great moment tonight. Was riding to my camp in the Bayou, see another player standing just outside it on the minimap but don't see him on the screen because he's on the other side of those vine-y trees. Come around the trees at full speed and crash right into him, he and his horse both go flying about 15 feet backwards and I casually drift to a stop. I watch him get up expecting he's probably going to shoot me but instead he gives me a thumbs up and gets on his horse. I tip my hat and he rides off.

This game has to have the best pubbies of any game I've ever played.

Zesty posted:

48 kills. Loses. He sent me this. Basically translated that winning isn't important. Only the kills.

Does not compute

(Luckily I meet 99% people of the first kind, I actually enjoy seeing other players because either we don't interact at all, or we do so in a friendly and nice way)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Repo Man posted:

As far as my understanding goes, and I could certainly be wrong, anything beyond a clean kill lowers pelt/carcass quality. I've never had a 3 star get killed in any manner that wasn't a headshot or lasso and have it's pelt remain a 3 star. Well, except for land animals that you can kill with the varmint rifle. Shoot a squirrel in the tail? 3 stars! Shoot a rabbit in the foot? My friend, that's 3 stars for you!

Is it possible to mercy kill an animal and not reduce it's pelt rating?

Varmint rifles definitely drop 3-star squirrels down to 2-stars, same for any bird. Maybe if you manage to headshot them? I never succeeded, they're too drat small and skittish to get close and aim properly.

I so want to get perfect carcasses of small animals, but hell if I'm paying 350$ to learn how to make small game arrows... btw since 3-star small carcasses are absolutely useless in Online (you'll always want to bring Cripps bigger ones and it's not worth bothering with perfect squirrels and birds), I don't even see what the point is in gating small game arrows behind an expensive pamphlet, just make it 50$ drat it

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh nice I got a new and exciting error: error FFFFFFFF!

I believe it's short for FFFFFFFFUCK THIS GAME TO HELL AND BACK

but my stream is safe for now, I managed to pick 5 common bulrush or whatever between Cripps packing my camp yet again and a crash. Lovely! :rockstar:

also I bought the collector saddle because why not, at this point it's not like I need the money for anything. I despise having to rebuy stirrups/saddlebags/lanterns, it got me to like 5$ (which brings the question: what happens if I can't afford to pay camp maintenance / stable fee? Does it just become "free" if I have 0$?) but them's the breaks and now I'm fully decked out in Collector gear: camp theme, best tent, most expensive outfit, compass belt ornament, top tier horse, collector saddle with best stirrups and lantern. Worth losing the extra 1 bar accel/speed from the Nacogdoches saddle in the name of aesthetics? I think so, for now at least.

When is the new outlaw pack coming out? I remember something about the current one expiring mid-March or so? I want new trinkets...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 21, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

- Fixed several crashes that occurred on systems with multiple monitor/adapter configurations when launching the game or entering fullscreen mode

Is this why the game keep stealing focus? I have two monitors and always keep a map/wiki open and often look for stuff... It worked great until the patch, since yesterday I can't keep the mouse pointer outside the game for more than 5 seconds

:rockstar:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Cage posted:

Anyway, since stories of misfortune make you bothered enough to post, heres mine. I was selling a small trader cart and it was stolen from me from some jerk at the end when I was busy shooting bullets. He ran off with it with it, and I went back to camp and somehow didnt lose any progress. I was able to do another sell mission, except this time while I was busy shooting stuff the bad npcs killed one of the good npcs and I failed it. Still didnt lose any materials and finally was able to sell it on the 3rd attempt. Woo!

Let me tell you about that time when, stoned out of my mind, I attempted to do a local delivery ; it took literally 5 tries before managing to finally kill the bad NPCs before they killed the good NPCs. Also every time I repeated the mission it would send me to the same place with the same couple of good NPCs which, by the time we finished, must have had more lead than water in them

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oberst posted:

The danger is what makes the game fun.

Uhhh no, not for me at least. Glad I never ran into you or others like you :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vahakyla posted:

Legit question, no facetiouness here.

Why do you play online? Isn’t the occasional danger of getting rooted and tooted the whole point of a wild west online multiplayer game?

I mean I often leave wagons alone, and I even help humans do their things, and I sometimes drop carcasses at their camp. But I play with my posse buddies, and we ride together to ensure that our cart arrives safe. Sometimes it doesn’t, because it’s the wild west and cowboys do cowboy poo poo. It seems to be the point of the game.

I play online because I need to see numbers go up, mostly, and I already made all numbers of singleplayer go up. I enjoy collecting and trading, riding around, fishing and hunting, setting up camp in a region and properly exploring it, seeing what other players are doing. Also the open world is fun, online has some pretty neat things singleplayer doesn't have and 95% of players are a pleasure to either interact with, or ignore. People seem to either be kinda scared and defensive but willing to see how you're going to play it, or outright friendly and funny.

I don't even mind getting sniped as I ride around the countryside, or people trying to lasso me while I'm out collecting herbs, heck it's even fun to see a red bunch of players riding around and terrorizing a town, and either try to fight them off or hide from them precisely because the stakes in dying while not doing a mission are so low (just respawn... though, that often leads to comical and unrealistic no holds barred feuds/total wars but hey that's part of the fun too)

But by God it would piss me off to lose on 500$ (more like, lose the associated time I spent hunting/resupplying/waiting for the goods to be ready) because some rear end in a top hat had a dynamite arrow and decided to just blow my full trading wagon up "just for funsies". gently caress you, let's engage in a showdown or impromptu PVP, let's have a fistfight or whatever, but I don't like having my time wasted without my explicit or implicit consent.
E: also, that player does it to gain NOTHING, that's what ticks me off even more. If it was robbery, oh well, at least they're doing it for money. No, people do this just to be a pain in the rear end and I just can't contemplate this.

But that's just me, and even if it happens, tough luck it's a videogame. I'd honestly prefer not to have it happen though, I can't deny it.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 28, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dragonstoned posted:

I feel like it's one of those game mechanics that is supposed to "encourage" you to buy the dumb microtransactions.

"Oh hey it's a shame someone just blew up a few hours of your grinding and now you get $0 for all that effort...but you know can always just buy the gold bars"

Probably. And what I would like to stress is that there's nothing to be gained for the guy attacking you; it would be fine if it was some kind of robbery to steal my hard earned money and get it for yourself (and then of course I could come and steal it back somehow), but as it is it's just "haha I made that guy lose time and money, so funny" and I really don't get what's funny or enjoyable about that.

Maybe that's why I never play online games. Rdo is the big exception precisely because 99% of the time it's perfectly chill and relaxing and getting ganked is a non-issue

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sleekly posted:

It's fun. That's what's gained. Human players are usually so much deadlier, or at least more unpredictable than NPCs that killing them and wrecking their poo poo is it's own reward.
Stick to story if you don't want this, it's the reason online exists. To interact with others.

I've been playing online every single day for the past 2 months, and I have never been killed while doing a trading mission :shrug:

Actually I've been shot at only twice; got killed once, managed to escape the second time.

So I'm not bothered at all, since apparently 99% of players think and play like I do and you guys are the ones that are "abnormal", luckily :) If I ran into a guy that killed me every hour or so, I'd have already stopped playing a long time ago.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

About speed, I do notice a difference with the nacogdoches saddle that gives +1 speed / +1 acceleration on my top-rank Criollo (whee 10 speed/8 acceleration!) compared to the normal saddles, so I don't know why people say the speeds are all the same, they most definitely are not. I do miss the handling of the arabian but the criollo never bucks me off while the arabian did it many times which is a decent tradeoff.

the basic Kladruber is unbearably slow compared to the 250$ red arabian for instance

I might notice it more because I ride everywhere a lot and I like to haul rear end so I'm not slowing down, ever (yes I do trip over small pebbles and fall down all the time, why do you ask?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

I have a Criollo. Big and ugly. Slightly faster top speed. Same temperament as a the Arabian and all other horses. Easily mitigated using the "calm" function. It's currently my backup when someone decides to kill my horse. I only ever see it when a cheater comes in and teleports everyone into the sky. Picked it up before I had the rank requirement for the Black Arabian.

All horses have the same temperment. But EVEN IF it was more skittish, the benefits of an Arabian would still outweigh other horses. I don't casually stroll through alligators though.

If you like your Criollo, keep your Criollo though. I wish horses actually mattered so I could have a few for different situations. I was looking up horses specifically that were big beefy brave bruisers because I thought it would be a fun gimmick, but all my research shows that there aren't those kinds of differences. Horses are just in various tiers with some very slight variation between top tier which amounts to "Black Arabian which is superior in everything except speed, or a horse which is inferior in everything except a +1 speed."

Yeah when I'll have enough extra money (still have to finish upgrading my ability cards) I'll probably get the white arabian just because I don't want to waste all that gold on the black one, and see the difference with the criollo, the "ahaa the arabian bucks me off all the time" is back from 2 months ago and I might be misremembering / exagerating stuff

I'm definitely going to get rid of the basic kladruber, that's just huge and slow and goofy for no redeeming qualities, I only have it because it was a free gift from rockstar or whatever

also I don't get why we can have like 10 stable spaces, who in their right minds would pay money upfront + upkeep for that (I have 3 spaces and it's 2.25$ so not that much but still) when there's barely a point to keeping 3-4 horses tops, more like 1-2?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

White Arabian is a direct downgrade from the Black Arabian. Gold grows on trees if you keep your streak going. and it's on sale right now for... 31g, I think?

White Arabian has 8 stamina and 8 health, that's the only difference. Stamina matters exactly nothing (with nacogdoches and good stirrups, and using calm every 20-30 seconds or so, there is literally no way to deplete stamina, not even full tilt running from St Denis to Tumbleweed), and even health isn't that important: if someone wants to kill your horse, they will, and easily. Anything above 5-6 health is good enough to survive some random potshots.

I can't help but think you overvalue cores according to my own experience, but hey it's no big deal. I do have extra gold to spend and might go for the black one just for aesthetics if it's on sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zesty posted:

Gold becomes useless before cash does. When you've run out of things to spend gold on, even things where you can substitute gold for cash, you still will have plenty of ability cards that can only have cash spent to unlock them. I've had a surplus 100g while being bottlenecked on cash. Absolutely ready for the next outlaw pass and still have plenty of gold to spend on whatever new content comes out.

This is actually a good point. In my head gold is "PREMIUM CURRENCY, DO NOT WASTE" but really, I already have all the gold-only cosmetics that I want and enough saved up for the next outlaw pass + eventual new role + some extra so I can surely afford the Arabian.

Let's do this crazy thing.