Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's a Rockstar game, it's basically gonna be the same as it was going into a Cluckin' Bell to replenish your health.

I wish I wasn't so busy with everything else to play this when it drops, especially since this sounds like one of those games that will consume my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's only for GTAO and one million GTA bucks is basically worth nothing in GTAO.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I wonder how the two discs works. One gets installed and the other is used to play? I am not up for FFVII style disc swap shenanigans in TYOOL 2018.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Happy Review Day :toot:

Daedalus1134 posted:

That is super cool.

From what I can tell the game only has like three revolvers which is a bit of a disappointment. There will probably be more, but in RDO as DLC.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is there a manual save? I couldn't find it anywhere.

It's in the menu under "story" but it seems to be unavailable during missions.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The game is really struggling against its hyper-realism with poo poo like accidentally killing people with your horse. Everything has consequences but there's a layer between player intent and what actually happens inside the simulation, and that causes dissonance and reduces agency.

Anyway, where and when is the first time you can get a game of poker going? There seems to be a surprising amount of side activities in my texas hold'em simulator before I get to the meat of it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Man, the debt collections make me feel like a piece of poo poo.

At least I beat Wrobel up at night while his family was in bed unlike that other poster in the thread

And thanks for the poker tips, pardners, I think I'll keep an eye out for the pastor mission because I have yet to find a poker table where I could play in any saloon or at the camp.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 27, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I use free aim and I've unintentionally shot so many hats off people. It's the best. I actually enjoy missing shots, it just feels proper to not hit everyone every time and it means if you're in a pinch you go for center of mass shots instead.

Junkenstein posted:

This is like week one of a Dark Souls release where the whole internet is helping each other figure how how everything works.

It's actually kinda fun and cool change of pace these days compared to games like Assassin's Creed, but man, having transparent systems has its advantages.

Also, I ran into an encounter at a house with a very hospitable couple. I ate human flesh, didn't I? I ransacked the place trying to find proof but I didn't find anything so I just left those weirdoes alone. My spider sense refused to let me drink more of whatever they were giving me; I am dead cert I would've come to in some grisly human abattoir. They even talked about the place being a pig farm before. And they're incestuous siblings, aren't they, if the cannibalism weren't enough. :gonk:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Nodelphi posted:

So is there any way to clear bounties other than paying money? I kind of treated the game like GTA at the start and I have like a 25k bounty on my head before I started doing story missions. It doesn’t seem to bother the sheriff that I’m worth way more than the $50 bounty he’s trying to send me to find...

Give all your money away to the lockbox and surrender to bounty hunters. You sleep the night in a jail, lose all the money you have on you, and then the bounty's cleared.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

This game would have benefitted from a UI pass, which feels kinda crazy given how much time and money was spent on it, but I really can't figure out people bumbling into having a price on their head let alone crashing their horse into people all the time. I've played for 20+ hours and I have yet to get a bounty from something I didn't mean to do.
'
edit: also even if you disagree with everything else the sky, clouds, lighting, and the score and the dynamic music are top notch.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

When I happened by that couple living in that house not near anyone who really, really want you to come inside it didn't take Nancy fuckin' Drew to figure out what was going on. The human bones in the cupboard upstairs confirmed my suspicions. I crept on the lady upstairs and gave her the shiv. Her husband came up the stairs and began to walk through the door as his wife hits the floor and then I gave him a taste of the steel as well. :black101:

I didn't find any bones! I'm gonna find that house and burn that motherfucker down.

Also I gotta stop reading this thread because y'all have a very different idea of spoilers than I do.

Unponderable posted:

Game is bad. Died during my first duel because I was trying to read the tooltips.

Game is good. On our way to get drunk, Lenny ran into a stagecoach, flipping himself and his horse. He got up and proceeded to start shooting and chasing said stagecoach.

This happened to me duelling too. I currently have no idea how duelling works. A checkpoint that lets you keep practising would've gone appreciated.

Wolfsheim posted:

He likes Charles, Hosea and all of the womenfolk! And hes definitely right in hating Micah, guy can gently caress off.

I was watching my roommate play the early parts of this game (a little behind me, I'm nearing the end if Chapter 2 but loving around a lot) and hes going into town unaware that the 'everyone hangs out in the saloon then starts a fistfight' mission was waiting for him then accidentally starts a gunfight when he trips a guy trying to walk to the gunsmith. I assumed he would die when a million townsfolk and lawmen descended on him but the nearby gang came out and actually helped him, and within a few minutes they had literally saved him by killing all of the cops. Of course more showed up and he died because he can barely shoot right but it was cool to see that the friendly AI for gang members is active outside of missions as well.

This reminds me of when I had a 300 dollar bounty in West Elizabeth, I was doing a mission and heard a random encounter start. Went closer to investigate and learned it was O'Driscolls and lawmen fighting each other. Noped the gently caress outta there, knowing my luck they would've all turned on me.

Also, yes, Micah is an rear end in a top hat.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Over There posted:

After watching my husband play this weekend, I have fully deduced he is a psychopath.

moist turtleneck posted:

is there a point to hats beyond looking cool because I've decided to go without which is working really well for me

Are you Over There's husband by any chance?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Waterfowl like ducks are great for farming fat. They often appear in flocks so you just deadeye the lot of them with your varmint rifle.

AndyElusive posted:

I guess getting taken for a fool plenty of times during RDR1 lead me to suspect that something was up when I came across a lady on the ground calling for help.

I've stopped for plenty of strangers earlier in the game, and I usually draw on them after initially greeting them. If they're asking for help with something their reactions to me pulling my gun will usually give me a heads up on if they're being honest or not.

This lady sees my repeater and starts to tell me if I'm not going to be a gentleman then she won't be a lady. Before she even finishes her sentence I dead eye her and the two dudes on horseback coming over the hill.

Not today, bandits.

There was a stranger like that where I could tell from the voice acting they were full of poo poo. That was a cool moment.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Zaa Boogie posted:

He'd be my favorite Rockstar character just on his own buy then you read his thoughts in his journal and it's just like gently caress, man

The journal is so good, one of my favourite parts of the game. I'm really hoping other developers learn the right lessons from this game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

DogonCrook posted:

The fact the wolves attack at all is pretty bullshit. Wolves are these same cliche rear end enemies in every game but here im disappointed they continued that retarded tradition this game doesnt treat any of the other animals as fantasy stereotypes so it would have been cool if they had dropped that nerd poo poo in this game but nope gotta have rabid loving wolves jumping men on horseback solo lol. Its stupid.

Yeah, even the black bears just nope the gently caress out if they hear or see you, like actual bears. There are also grizzlies and they're all over your poo poo but then they're grizzlies.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I think I might need explosive rounds to take down this monster.

Full carbine salvo in dead-eye with express rounds did it for me.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

shut up blegum posted:

What? Did you get the chance to kill her?

I imagine you could just blow her head off when she rides off into the sunset. But that would make you a complete monster.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

Someone on Reddit recorded what happens if you piss off your camp too much.

Also cool is that everyone's responses to Antagonize are contextual with what you've been saying just beforehand.

I love that it's Lenny who comes to shut your poo poo down. Lenny :unsmith:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

So once I craft a trinket I get the benefits no matter what? No more action required on my part?

Correct.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I just want to say that the ending the stranger mission where you help the guy get his ledger, watch, and gun owns.

I used a fire bottle. On his sobbing face.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Friend asked me for tips on poker so here's what I wrote, if someone else might find this useful. This is basically just a general tight strategy against a table full of incredibly stupid loose players, because that's what the AI is:

- Outside of the obvious plot mission where you play, I think the game is actually 100% fair. Cognitive bias is just a hell of a thing, or you might be running into a really rotten streak.
- Play tight like hell: only get involved with a very strong hand pre-flop, and immediately fold at the first sign of resistance unless you have a strong hand (top pair, ideally two pair or better).
- The AI plays very loose as hell and that leads to scenarios where they get like a full house on the turn with something idiotic like 10-2 off suit, which can come across as the game cheating.
- Strong hands I'd define as : QJ, KJ, AJ, AQ, AK, any pocket pair 77 or higher. Pairs 66 and lower are trickier, with stuff like 22 or 33 you really want to see a set and fold if you don't and you get resistance.
- Yes, sometimes they do crazy poo poo like check-raise you on air, but you can't read AI players well enough. (FWIW I haven't really gotten the feeling that there are specific AI 'styles' of player, like 'the guy with the hat is tight' etc.)
- Top pairs and two pairs are always good enough to go all in unless it's like a board with four of a straight or four of a flush.
- If you have a lot of players at the table, you can also play suited sequences like 76, 78, 9T etc.; you can get a really powerful hand or a draw on the flop and if you have 3-5 players in the hand it can pay off well.
- If you're going for the busting people out achievement, just wait for a strong hand pre-flop and go all-in and some idiot will probably call on stupid crap. You will have a lot of variance doing this of course.
- For the love of god, NEVER BLUFF. Even semi-bluffing (betting with a draw) is questionable. You don't need to think about pot or bet sizes because the AI will not hesitate to call a massive over-bet of 500% the pot with 2nd pair and no kicker.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

When does the professor electrocute the poor guy you grabbed for him? I turned him in and followed him to the gallows, but then he just stood in the courtyard and didn't move.

Go do something else, it'll turn up as a separate mission.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

For reference, I got the bust a player out in each location achievement in something like 30, 45 minutes. It helps if the money is essentially meaningless to you by that point, you're not playing to win money, you're playing to just get the achievement. Challenge, whatever.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Post-game question:

is there any way to upgrade your satchel once Pearson is gone? I'm not there yet in my game but know enough.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Republicans posted:

You just buy them from any fence. Maybe $300 for all of them.

Wow, I am so glad I did not bother crafting more than two of them! What's even the point given that I think a few require materials you'll only reasonably get from New Austin?! Thanks for the info, that saves me a lot of headache.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Zaa Boogie posted:

Because being able to carry 99 of something is much better than 3 or 5. I had all of the crafted in chapter *2* and it made the rest of the game much better.

Eh, I had oodles of money after the Valentine bank robbery and there isn't really anything in the mechanics that makes the game smoother if you have a ton of space.

Only thing I guess it would help with is if you wanna go duck hunting to farm a ton of fat to turn into cool ammo.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It is startling to me how different the approach to RDO seems to be. Either it's a completely different set of people with completely different priorities and ideas running the show, or the more cynical take is that they have realized they hosed up with GTO and are being more subtle with RDO to keep people playing until they can roll out the real money transactions.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Coming up on my third consecutive in game day of playing blackjack with my miner hat on to complete this stupid 3 hit challenge. The only thing redeeming this is seeing the light on my miner hat flash on the table as I play.

Earlier in this thread I gave some advice on the poker challenges and said they weren't that bad.

This blackjack challenge, however, is just unadulterated bullshit, and might require hours of playing, even if you do crazy poo poo like hitting on hands you should not hit on just on the off chance your three hits get you to a flukey 21. It's even worse because you can't skip the animations. Just pulling it off once would be a chore.

Like I can't believe none of the people at R* ran the numbers on this thing, it might take hundreds of hands on average and maybe even thousands before the law of large numbers kicks in and overwrites lovely luck.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 7, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

I don't understand. I'm in the epilogue now and Arthur said he got it from beating that debtor to death.

It's a joke. The witch's cauldron is just a spooky easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

hcreight posted:

I had been plugging away at the game in chunks of a few hours since launch and had definitely burned out on it by the time I hit Chapter 6. I ended up taking a break from it for a week, which actually made it more palatable to come back and finish up the main story and epilogue. Not sure if it'll do the trick for everyone who cools off on the game, but it might help.

I finished chapter 6 almost a month ago and I put it down because I was burned out on the gameplay and the epilogue is there waiting for me but I don't know if I'll actually ever get to it. I already got spoiled on what happens, too.

I suspect at some point I'll either pick it up again and finish it or delete it because my PS4 needs the space.