Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Ugh, Christ, I managed to pick up an Xbox One X in Chennai, India(the electronics district is crazy!), but no one had physical Xbox One copies of the game. Now I’m downloading on the worlds jankiest internet connection. It did 4% of 88GB overnight...

If it makes you feel better I don't think my physical installation was all that much faster. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

insane anime posted:

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME CLINT EASTWOOD DID VOICE OVERS IN THIS

Does he go on a senile rant to an empty chair?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am only a couple hours in but so far I feel like this game feels a little more mature than the last few GTAs or even the first RDR. I'm sure I'll run into some sort of Herbert moooooooon thing soon enough but for now it's pretty refreshingly restrained.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Republicans posted:

Oh there's stuff.

I knew they just couldn't help themselves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

insane anime posted:

The titty jiggles in this game are fan-loving-orgasmic.

DrNutt posted:

I am only a couple hours in but so far I feel like this game feels a little more mature than the last few GTAs or even the first RDR. I'm sure I'll run into some sort of Herbert moooooooon thing soon enough but for now it's pretty refreshingly restrained.

Lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus why the hell does time have to pass so fast when I'm browsing at the General Store? Bought a new hat and some chaps and now it's midnight I guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

Time passage seems really weird and abrupt in this game in general.

I'm finding the game mostly incredible but poo poo like this makes me think "huh, did this seriously never come up in testing? At all?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As much as I wanted to play this without minimap/gps bullshit, the compass kind of sucks. I'm playing on a 1080p tv, sitting 6 feet away on a couch, and the thing is so goddamn small I can't read the N, S, E, W, they all just look like black blips, so it's pretty much useless unless it's pointing at an active objective or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TMMadman posted:

You can make it use a bigger mini map. Hold down on the D-Pad and then a menu will pop up asking what size you want the minimap. Choose expanded.

I know that. I don't want a mini map. I want a compass that I can read so I can pretend to be a cowboy and not a dude using Waze to get around everywhere. Compasses aren't really functional if you can't read at least which direction is north. The compass is one size and it's not changeable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

karma_coma posted:

How do you mail a fish? I’ve gone two different post offices, fish in hand, and send mail is not an option. 18lbs sturgeon legendary fish too :/

:stare:

I think I need to start a Twitter or a Tumblr or something and just aggregate out of context posts about RDR2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Are there desert environments in this game? My favorite landscape in RDR was by far Mexico and I'm hoping I get to see something like that in this game's beautiful engine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am really anxious to see what happens with RDR online. I really want it to just be essentially a forever rdr but my heart of hearts is telling me they are just cranking up their money printer based on how GTA online has evolved.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deified Data posted:

There is no world where it's not another iteration of GTA online.

I'm sure, mostly I'm hoping it's not a vastly more simplified version of the single player world a la GTA online.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I accidentally ran into a tree riding my horse and freaked out for a moment because I thought I had killed my horse with severe blunt trauma. But he got up and shook his head, and I fed him a pear and told him he was a good horse and he seemed fine.

However last night when I last played my horse was a female black and white doppled horse, and this morning my horse is apparently a brown male horse. A transgender transracial horse, pretty cool that Rockstar is pushing these progressive boundaries tbh.

Also, and I say this as a broken brained Destiny addict, it's kind of sweet to play a game that isn't concerned with giving you constant rewards for that sick dopamine rush. They've created a world to marvel at and for once I feel satisfaction simply from existing in and experiencing things there, if I get some money or a new gun it's just a nice bonus. Quirky controls aside this could be a strong contender for game of this generation for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

uncle w benefits posted:

"Haven't you played [OBSCURE GAME]? The controls are like it and well I'm a Video Games Genius. There's no way this game is actually kinda bad.
:goonsay:

Where can I buy spices? This continent doesn't have mint or oregano, and I'm tired of chewin' on plain ol' venison.

I found oregano in a field near Horseshoe Overlook, by Emmet Granger and the Mexican guy who challenges you to a shooting competition and unlocks marksman challenges for you. I was hunting pronghorns but some rear end in a top hat drove by in a carriage and scared them off.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ravenkult posted:

Tomahawk best weapon confirmed.

Also I tried to wade across a river and a loving gator grabbed me and started chomping on me.

Are you able to get one if you didn't bother reinstalling GTA online to do the linked stuff for the stone tomahawk or whatever? I definitely want one to go with my bow and knives.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I was pretty disappointed that there's no "shoot those smug motherfuckers under the table" button while playing poker (I have always been terrible at hold 'em).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deadule posted:

A blip on my map turned out to be a guy who wanted to challenge me to a friendly bottle-shooting contest. Well, he beat me at that contest, because the bottles were absolutely impossible to see in that environment and I was really just shooting at where I hoped they were gonna be, so that was kinda bullshit, but whatever, it was like $5 out of the $200 I had on me so I don't care. I go to hand the man his money, when

WITNESS - DISTURBING THE PEACE

Mother fucker.

As I get on my horse and turn to get lost,

WANTED - ARTHUR MORGAN

At this point the guy starts shooting at me. I just ride out of there because gently caress that.

BOUNTY - $120

98 Metacritic.

That's hilarious. I lost for the same reason, but then he challenged me to double or nothing to shoot four birds out of the sky and I lost that hard because I'm a free aim purist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZeusCannon posted:

Eat the stew then a steak then another steak repeat as necessary

Gaaaaaaaiiiiiinnnnnssssss

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

Lol it’s always the biggest poopsockers that are the biggest haters.

"I loving hate this garbage game that I played for 77 hours in a single week. The problems are all definitely with the game and not my brain."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

insane anime posted:

77 hours? I did it all much less than that. It helps if you are actually good at video games, and know how to use your time efficiently instead of doing retarded stuff that doesn't amount to any trophies.

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zas posted:

man, i'm glad for the wanted levels and the bounty hunters and poo poo lol. the most fun stuff in this game is the car chases, why don't people get this

A game where that stuff was realistic (what people think and say they want) would be boring as gently caress imo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the enjoyment factor of this game is really going to depend on how much you can get into the head space of just rolling with the punches and not being concerned with playing "optimally" or whatever and also if you just really enjoy being a cowboy. That said I felt pretty gross and sleazy when I robbed an immigrant dude to collect his debt.

Speaking of gross and sleazy, were assisted baths really a thing in the old west? Like it was weird and I expected it to be prostitution but then it was so hilariously tame I loving lol'd.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The legendary buck talisman makes it easier to get better quality pelts too, though it doesn't remove the star mechanism for animals so I don't know how efficient that is.

The game definitely positions Arthur as a garbage person in a much stronger way than it did with John in RDR1, though I kinda feel as though John's a little whitewashed in this one up to where I am. (Ch.3)

Word. To me it's a little weird that they kept the honor system in place because I feel like Arthur tends to be a piece of poo poo most of the time. I was trying to play as a white hat but it's kind of annoying to have the game push me away from it so I might just lean into the black hat a bit. I like John's voice a lot more too and hearing him in this game is painful because it makes me just wish I was playing as John.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Section Z posted:

I may be completely out of stamina, but at least I can eat at camp now that I'm back!... Oh the stew and coffee isn't ready despite it being two days? Okay at least I can sleep-oh, a letter! A VOICE ACTED letter! Isn't that nice :unsmith:

Wait. Straus, why are you leading me away from my bed? Okay nice chat about debtors, now gently caress off and let me... I can't sleep (or shave, or access my wardrobe). OH, I can't manually SAVE either.

Because suddenly I'm in a mission. Because I had the nerve to read a letter before I slept... Guess it's stuffing canned peaches and beans down my face after all :smith:

For all the detail put in, it's so bizarre to be afraid to interact with literally anything. Lest I be locked out of basic functions like sleeping and saving.

Don't regret blowing about 100 dollars on horse accessories, even if that manual save was 45 minutes hour ago.

Haha, yeah I ended up playing until like 2 am last night because without the minimap it's really hard to tell if talking to someone or interacting with something will kick off a mission.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Section Z posted:

See that's the thing. There was a yellow Dutch icon I was specifically ignoring. The only thing by my bed was... the usual bed icon.

But hey, there's a letter by my bed! Let's read it!... oh. oooooh.... (Also the Dutch Icon is now MIA, I guess because I'm already inside a sudden mission :v: )

(Stopping to grab at least a deer before every trip back to camp is why I'm also sore about the lack of snacks in that stream of consciousness. Like the Deer and two turkeys I brought this time around)

I mean just look at Pearson. You know that food isn't getting evenly distributed around camp.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I kinda hate that there isn't a persona like HERBERT MOOOOON in this one, because listening to a crazy anti semite rant about jews, conspiracy theories, and Lincoln was hilarious, but I can understand the lack of it considering the political climate the last few years.

Yeah uh. Maybe it's for the best.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I did start collecting debts for Herr Strauss so I think I might be the baddie. :ohdear:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus if you really can't handle "slowly riding your horse" somewhere and just want to fast travel to your next dopamine hit, just go play Destiny or something. This is a game that absolutely does best when you let it breathe a little and if that's not your thing that's fine. Every time I go somewhere in this game I see something new that is absolutely stunning in some way and it's pretty much always worth it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Qubee posted:

"your opinion is stupid, if you don't like a lovely game mechanic, go play a different game, idiot! but let me add a little caveat and say if this isn't your thing, it's totally fine, I get it." :thunk:

talking like you're some wine connoisseur

he1ixx posted:

I don't think that's what they were saying. They were saying that this game is about riding your horse around a lot. If you don't like riding your horse around, this may not be the game for you. They also said that the horse riding takes you to some interesting interactions and content which you'd miss if you fast traveled around. The horse riding isn't a "lovely game mechanic" just because you don't like it. It is a huge part of the game and a large impetus for content discovery. I find it pretty drat fun too. It's ok if you don't like it. I don't like a lot of things in life too.

:shrug:

Basically what he1ixx said. I like modern skinner box gaming as much as the next person where there's always something going on that gives me treats for being a good boy, but there's room for other kinds of games too.

I've been listening to the podcast "Treks and the City" lately. It's a feminism/fashion focused podcast with Alice Wetterlund of Silicon Vallley and Veronica Osorio of Hail! Caeser. They're both long time TNG fans and it's fun to hear a different take on Star Trek than some nerdy white guys talking about how great it is. One of the things they point out frequently is how much wasted time/space there is, and how it's so different from modern tv where pretty much everything is designed to push things forward at all times. Like, you'll see Riker at a door and Picard will say enter, and the camera will just follow Riker the whole time as he walks into the room and sits down to talk to Picard. Whereas a modern tv show would just start the scene with Picard and Riker sitting down having a conversation.

That is one of the things I like about TNG because it gives a similar room to breath. It's a show that allows for more contemplation and introspection. I think RDR2 is like that in a lot of ways.

Now I'm not saying that it's perfect but for better or worse I am glad it's the way it is, because there's already a bazillion other games out there that are the other way, and I'm not saying they're bad, I like a lot of those too. I guess it would suck if you are a big time western fan and really want a story set in the west but want a game experience more similar to something like Destiny or Spiderman or rear end Creed. In that case the only game I can even think of is that Call of Juarez: Gunslinger game (which is really really good).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty sure I've killed more people accidentally in this game than I have on purpose. Dumb asses see a man barreling toward them on a horse and don't get out of the way.

And holy poo poo are shotgun deaths gruesome. Came across a couple of chain-gang convicts just as they were killing their overseers, so I figure the good thing to do is to kill them. Took the first one's head clean off. After he was dead, I shot him again just to see what would happen, blew off his arm. I'm used to previous R* games where most dead bodies look the same. Don't remember any decapitation/dismemberment.

Original flavor Red Dead Redemption had pretty gnarly entry/exit wounds, though no dismemberment. It was kind of hard to see unless you creepily went up close to inspect the bodies, and I'm not sure if that makes it more or less impressive that they added it in anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DoctorGonzo posted:

Holy gently caress poor Mr Thomas. I feel like an rear end in a top hat

Haha yeah that was an incredibly gross moment. I see when Arthur Morgan inevitably dies so he isn't seen or mentioned in RDR I will likely not be emotionally affected the way I was when John bites it in that game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gay Horney posted:

this ain't dragon age

Low key user name/post combo going on here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jimbot posted:

An appropriate response. That guy was a shmuck. He deserved his poo poo shower.

Yeah that guy loving sucked and got what he deserved.

Gunslingers spoiler: I really enjoyed the Mexican gunslinger up in the grizzlies. If you are nice to the guys in the camp, they say gently caress off and just unload on you. If you show up and swagger in and are an rear end in a top hat, they point you in the direction of their leader, and when you're forced to kill him they shout "he's dead!" and they all just take off running across the frozen lake.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hobo Clown posted:

I wonder if the honor system will cross over into multiplayer and they're hoping to incentivize being a more friendly player

If that's the case hopefully it will become more apparent to people that the benefit of being a black hat is being able to gently caress people over and steal their poo poo and doesn't need other rewards.

e: I like that right after finding a relatively detailed random encounter where I had to take a woman back to her home after saving her from being crushed under her dying horse, I found a dude along the road who just turned out to be one of those assholes pretending to be stranded to try and steal your horse. There also appears to be some variation in random events, where one of them was very long and scripted, and eventually I came across another stranded woman that was a much more generic NPC quest.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 29, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yeah, I mean, just steal what ya want so no money wasted. Maybe they are upset about there being no cool outfits for being a baddie. I can see that as being a valid annoyance.

If you want a cool black hat outfit get the black duster and black worn flat cap, you can get both in Valentine and it's a great look for being a fucko

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the_american_dream posted:

Where do I find the option to change my horses mane

The stables are this game's equivalent to a GTA paint shop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of hidden or inscrutable game options, is there a way to put extra clothes in your horse's saddle bags? I traveled back up into the grizzlies and got a message about being too cold, and I remembered that the last time I changed outfits the game gave me a pop-up saying I didn't have any cold weather clothing stored in my horse gear but I didn't see a way to do that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

theblackw0lf posted:

I think "trying to be a good guy but circumstances causing you to do really lovely things" is a central theme of the game.

Yeah that's gotten a lot more obvious as I've continued to get more into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deified Data posted:

I remember seeing the option to do this from the outfit menu at camp.

Thanks, friend! *tips hat, accidentally bumps into a pedestrian, is forced to kill them*