Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Also for that reason the permanence of events is super frustrating. Like, I was just having a shoot off with some Mexican guy and in between rounds I went to reload and oh, Arthur put his gun away cause he just does that whenever he wants, so instead of reloading I shoved the guy which aggroed him and caused him to start shooting me. I just let him kill me in the hopes of finishing the mission but he’s gone now, of course. I feel like that kind of poo poo happens way too much and it’s so frustrating.

This thread moves too fast but they definitely respawn. I killed the poor mexican sharpshooter by accident the first time around and he still came back a week later to do the same quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Qubee posted:

one time, I spent my last $7 on a stagecoach to valentine from strawberry. figured I'd nip to the toilet whilst arthur gets in. i got back from the toilet to find arthur still in strawberry, standing outside the coach, with the coachdriver nowhere in sight. I had to sell a bunch of stuff to be able to fork out the $7 again.

anyone have any idea what happened to the coach driver? I'd just paid the fare and figured it would be automatic like it normally is.

I had the same happen once, looked away after accepting the ride and when I looked back the wagon driver was running away for his life and arthur was just standing around. Got some sort of a bounty too.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

JBP posted:

How early in the game can you free roam everywhere and participate in all the different hunting and fishing challenges?

Chapter 3?

Halfway thru chapter 2 you get the fishing pole, I think you should be good to go then

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Is this legendary alligator some kind of a special legendary? I'm pretty sure I went thru the map and all 14 legendary animals were there with no alligator in sight. I suppose non super spoilery answer hopefully.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve been trying to max out the mustache and every morning I open palm slam a bottle of hair growth tonic but it’s been slow going getting it any higher than 8

Try slamming 3 of them at a time, I believe they stack for 3 times.

Also at mustache 8, slowly but surely.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

For the 4th Horseman challenge, I have to lasso drag people behind my horse for 3300 feet. However, everytime I do that, the game doesn't register it. It just changes from 0/3300 ft to 1/3300 ft :confused:.
Anybody else with this 'problem'?

It just doesn't show it right, keep dragging and it will pop up completed at some point. Also I found out it doesn't matter if your victim dies during it, just keep going.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Pooky posted:

There's a spot where completely random male horses spawn, apparently even named ones. You can get the grey Arabian which is even better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9vmq4i/there_is_a_spot_in_st_denis_where_you_can_find/

Has anyone figured out what horses don't get scared easily? It seems like my black arabian gets scared of any small thing.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Tumble posted:

As they bond they get less spooked.

The thing is, its full bonded, and I heard someone talking about other breeds being less scared.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

I am sure its been said many times here, but I just finished Chapter 6.

I have never really once in my life given two shits about a video game story or its characters at all. It all feels like Shenmu. You want to get into the characters and story sometimes, but just can't because the writing just isnt there, or the character creation in RPGs is so open, you have to make up some BS personal lore story.

I laughed out loud at parts of this game, had moments where I yelled "WTF", was gob smacked by how cruel and unforgiving some self inflicted situations were, and actually welled up and shed some tears at the end of chapter 6. I feel like this game is a better story than what I consider to be the gold standard films. I am just in awe at the perfect balance of player freedom and story telling that it presents. I know things will change after chapter 6, and much of the experience I had in the main story is a singular event that I will never experience like the first time and the whole thing might be just another game in online play.

But mother of god, that is some absolutely phenomenal story telling, and character development. It was so amazingly easy to suspend my disbelief through most of the playthru.

Well said, just finished it myself. Also I'm really happy this thread didn't spoil anything major.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Just finished it, I loved the epilogue too.

The credits are over half an hour long. Feel free to go take a piss if you need to.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Aranan posted:

I have spent hours trying to get a perfect panther pelt. So far the only two I have seen were both 1 star. This is frustrating.

Anyone have location/hunting tips for panthers? I've looked up the two locations the guide says they spawn in but they must also be super rare or something.

Close to braithwaite manor, here's a reddit link:

You might need to try multiple times to get a perfect one though.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Aranan posted:

Unfortunately that's where I've been hunting. I think I found the spawn point because I stumbled across the panther just chilling there both times I've seen it. It's just been a poor quality. I didn't even think about save/reload... that'd probably be a lot smarter. I'll do that the next time. Taking the night off because I've wasted so much time trying to get the last three stupid pelts for finishing off the satchels. Just need panther, beaver, and (another) elk... I imagine beavers aren't as bad and I've already found a spot for elk out near the western-most trapper.

Thanks for the responses!

edit: nvm

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I was talking to the one legged solider in Rhodes and accidentally instant shot him with a rifle since I pressed R2 instead of L2 and immediately had to load a save.

The first 5-10 hours of this game were so hilarious because of the bad controls. I met the mexican sharpshooter guy outside chapter 2 camp and after hearing all of his speech I just shot him in the face by accident.

Luckily the game makes him appear again.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

UnknownMercenary posted:

So for a supposedly elite horse the arabian sure freaks the gently caress out a lot. Maybe because it's still "wild" but other horses I had to tame were less annoying.

Arabians are super skittish. The stable bought one is the same.

Missouri fox trotter is much nicer, almost as good stats.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Just did a post game collection lap. Dinosaur bones, rock carvings, weapons and graves. Took like 5 hours and a week ingame sleeping during nights. Still got so much more to do for 100% ingame :mad:

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Nice enough postgame I don't get nearly as many auto-ride interruptions. Makes the collections reasonable.

Also rdr2map.com

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I've had a great time in online with a buddy, done lots of hunting and quick join mission etc. Already got myself varmint rifle, pump action shotgun and bolt action rifle.

We've played for like 15 hours this week total.

I think the economy issues are way overblown even if it could be a little more lenient

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

ICMB posted:

I looted a guy and got two explosive arrows today. I’ll have to save them for the perfect occasion

I found a bow with 2 explosive arrows in a showdown match. It was glorious 5 seconds.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Is it always gold though? I think it only costs gold to skip the level requirement. Someone said that earlier too.

Requiring level 17 to fish and 30 to use lures is itself dumb but that's rockstar's MO.

Level 14 to fish.

Also you make so much more money with the river lure that it's ridiculous to whine about 1g/rank30 unlock.

Edit: You never lose the lure unless you're super bad at fishing. You actively have to push a button to risk it.

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 5, 2018

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Feenix posted:

Am I missing some kind of mechanic or is it normal to have to pay a LOT (by game standards) money to fast travel only to log out (sometimes I have to be a dad!!) and then log back in and be REALLY loving FAR from where I fast travelled from and have to pay again, or ride forever.

Is there a way to determine where I start or lock in my location from when I log out?

You can choose the starting region by taking one of the area named free roam options. (Free roam lemoyne, free roam new hanover etc)

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

ICMB posted:

Regarding spending a gold for the lure. It’s not like gold is limited. You can farm hideouts to get maps which get you between .5 and 1g. They’re good XP and often have loot besides.

If one would ever drop. Done like 12-15 hideouts and nothing.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

its not like there was some "exploit" to the fishing, people were just loving fishing, which is what makes the price change weird

It was kinda funny that you can make the same amount of money that takes 2 hours of missions to do in 10 mins of fishing.

It's more balanced now but tbh I'm sad for my great fishing spot.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Online is lots of fun especially with a friend.

Also do you people realize you can see all the other players on the map? It's really, really easy to not get shot.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s super simple to never get shot, simply spend every moment in-game staring at the map and flee like a gazelle at the first scent of danger, I cannot believe anyone could possibly struggle with this

It takes literally one second to open the map and see every other player. Plan accordingly.

I've hunted for 3000$ worth now and got ganked maybe 3 times. Its not that bad.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

The Varmint Rifles aren;t 1 shot head shotters at long range, are they? I assumed that was regular rifle only.

Yes they are, and they are OP as hell. Very fast targeting and reload.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Just created my online character. First cutscene and I hate my hair. Are there babrbershops in online? Probably not I guess?

Yes, you can go fix it for 10-20$ or so

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

ICMB posted:

If you hit L on the dpad and go to one of the options you can set player voices to friends/posse only

This is godsent. I did like 2 matches of teens yelling out "you're a pussy" "shut up" "gently caress you" and I'm very done with that poo poo.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

DrNutt posted:

I don't remember if it's an in game setting or an Xbox setting, but you can set it to mute all voice chat unless you yourself have a headset plug in, which is what I do.

Is there a way to mute it when you join a showdown? I tried but its greyed out.

Luckily you can do pretty good with no sounds also.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

dear god this game wins the award for best video game shotguns since doom. i dont think ive used any other weapons since i got the pump shotty :getin:

Slugs are this but taken to the max. I haven't yet unlocked them in online but its going to be glorious.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

If I just started chapter 6, about how much of the story is left? Should I make sure to do everything I want to do before chapter 6 ends in terms of side quests and general loving around or can you keep playing after the story ends?

There are some side quests that are only available in chapter 6, but otherwise everything will be there postgame.

edit: probs like 10 hours of gameplay left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Hugh Malone posted:

I think the gold was to unlock them early? Are you level 30 or whatever the level is for lures?

Are you in the lagras bait shop? For some reason you can't buy them early from the catalog.

Edit: meant to quote the previous dude there asking about lures.