Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
How in hell are you supposed to do the 3 disarms without switch or reloading? I'm using the dual-wield pistols and I just can't get it to reliably happen once let alone three times before needing a reload. I've heard that using dead eye requires you to get them all in one go or else it counts as a reload/switch. Am I better off using a rifle/repeater or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ASenileAnimal posted:

OH MY GOD CHAPTER 5 SUCKS PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS SHORT I WANT MY STUFF BACK

It's like 3 (not great) missions if you rush it, and you'll get all your stuff back

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Image of Arthur staring quizzically at a letter written in Japanese

"This Mario feller's Italian ain't he? New York ain't in Italy! Dutch, What the hell is going on?"

Edit: I would very much like to see Arthur interact with Solid Snake

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 17, 2018

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Flannelette posted:

Their games made mega record breaking bucks and the ones that allow for more "same situation different solution" did not, even if I would find the game way more fun what reason do they have to ever expend more effort making theirs that way?

I mean, they don't

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Reign Of Pain posted:

So what should RDR3 be about?

I'm thinking you should be a totally awesome badass U.S. Treasury agent that takes down illegal alcohol rackets and in order to keep up with the theme of the 1st 2 games you die a broke alcoholic.

I would honestly love to see a game about Australian bushrangers in the late 1870s (around the rise and fall of the Kelly Gang) or earlier (if you go way earlier, 1840s or 50s, you could have former or escaped convicts). Having a mini-Australia could have a cool contrast of landscapes and biomes.

Of course, the Redemption games are kind of also about the death of a particular kind of American time and place. So uh, maybe a Northwestern focused on not-Oregon and Not-Washington with a bit of western Canada

edit: though to be honest, that doesn't sound particularly convincing either, seeing as RDR and RDR2 are really about death/decline of the Old West (RDR2 also sort of about how you can't return to that time and place). Maybe the only other option is head further west, base it in California/Arizona/Nevada area... but even then I'm not sure how to build on the themes of the others

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 21, 2018

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

DrNutt posted:

Honestly Rockstar is one of the only devs I could see passing on an RDR3 in favor of doing something new and different, I would be okay with that. I have enough RDR in 1 and 2 to last me a lifetime, they are incredibly well made and replayable games. I'd honestly rather see Rockstar give us a new setting/series with their seemingly newfound maturity they showed in this game than retread old ground.

If we do have to have a RDR3 I want an actual sequel starting Jack and have it set in WW1 France.

Yeah ditto, with RDR2 I feel like they can be done with the series as a specific thing about the decline of the old West.

Now give us the open-world game casting you as an OSS officer working with the resistance in Nazi-Occupied Paris

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Donovan Trip posted:

I don't think we'll see a new RDR for a while. My guess based entirely on GTAV is Xmas 2019 will be all about PC launch of rdr2, 2020 will be bully 2, 2021 will be a rerelease of rdr2 on next gen, maaaaybe 2022 we'll see GTAVI... But probably not. Maybe Max Payne 4? Rdr3 if it happens will be nearly a decade away.

Bully 2 would be rad. For whatever reason I wouldn't have even thought it would be on their radar; it seems more like a cult classic than the open world revelation RDR1 was. I wonder what they would do for setting...

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

AndyElusive posted:

NOW, A RING DANG DO, WHAT IS THAT?

It's soft and round like a pussy cat, hth op

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Bakanogami posted:

Could someone tell me about at what point in the game the Wanted Dead or Alive status on New Austin gets lifted? I'm currently near the end of Chapter 2 and kind of want the Legendary Pronghorn trinket that keeps corpses from rotting on your horse that looks to be in the middle of the DoA zone. Not sure whether to push on with the story or try to go hunting while dodging bounty hunters.

Not until The epilogue, so after chapter 6. You briefly go into Great Plains in chapter 2 but only in the area just outside Blackwater.

There's a glitch you can do in chapter 4 that lets you explore the area without being wanted, but someone else will have to explain that, or Google it

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Kawabata posted:

2- Went to a small village, farmer tells me I'm "not welcome there" (why?), I try to Defuse and immediately run away from him, still get shot by him and his pal. Da gently caress? As soon as I kill them, a witness runs away because I am now a murderous murderer. Uhhhhh

Ranchers are pretty guarded/hostile people. Probably for the best, because slaughtering farm animals is a very easy way to get cow/bull/ox/goat skins and bird feathers.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
(Late epilogue) There was a theory on Reddit that Dutch was there to kill Micah - "What're you doing here?" "Same thing as you, I suppose" - knowing that he'd be able to get into the camp, and also knowing that he would probably be killed by Micah's men immediately after. John showing up pisses him off (John has once again inadvertently hosed with Dutch's PLAN), but when John invokes Arthur and begging him to "say something, Dutch," Dutch realises that it's the right thing to do. He still doesn't get to die on his own terms yet, but he closes that chapter.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Ex-cuse me ma'am, behind you

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mantis42 posted:

Can you cheat at card games in this one like you could in the first game?

No

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The law?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Hugh Malone posted:

zong

yeasir.

going to check out some 'reliable' cougar spot. will report back, likely hours later, shredded and torn to bits.

South-west of Blackwater, above the "N" in Great Plains, the area just south of the windmill. Very quick ride back into town too.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Another Bill posted:

Hey I can't tell if I'm stupid or not but does anyone know if you can fence stolen wagons in Online? Google is no help

You can't do it.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
It's never really about the money for Dutch, it's about people respecting and relying upon him. As for why people stick with the gang for so long: remember that for most of the gang (especially Arthur and John) Dutch is basically a father figure who has genuinely taken care of them up until now. Immediately before and right at the start of the game the gang goes through some really traumatic and bleak disasters that they manage to get through (and Dutch very vocally reminds them that HIS PLAN got them through even though he's just improvising). They can't go home and they're being hunted by the law/Pinkertons. It makes sense to me that people would stick with Dutch for as long as they do, because of their history, because things start generally going better from chapter 1 onwards than they'd been immediately before, and just because of inertia.

Incidentally, I seem to remember hearing that the game was originally going to start with the Blackwater heist and the escape. IMO the start in the mountains sets the tone so much better; talking about the failed robbery is much more evocative.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

kanonvandekempen posted:

I started playing this game half a year ago and it really didn't click for me. Started over last week and now I'm really into it. It's not the greatest video game, but it's a very good storytelling device. Anyway, what would be a good moment to start ignoring the main story and gently caress off into the wilderniss for a bit, and start working on challenges, collections, legendary animals, upgrading the camp and the like? Right now I'm in the second chapter, just finished the mission where you free your Irish friend(?) from the mercenaries. I already accidentally stumbled into Saint Denis and it felt like I wasn't really supposed to go there until some introductory mission.

Also when I sell stuff to the furrier, does it automatically become available for crafting?

Anytime really, but I reckon the start of chapter 3 is an especially good time for just loving around.

And yes, you have to sell stuff to the trapper (and Pearson) in order to get him to craft clothes (or camp stuff) for you. You'll only need skins for the trapper and Pearson (Pearson also needs some complete carcasses iirc).

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

its all nice on rice posted:

I think there's a KKK random encounter where if you let them go on with their little get together, one of them lights themselves on fire when trying to ignite the cross. That or it was me throwing a fire bottle. Can't quite remember.

Yeah, there's one where some Klansmen get set on fire and another where a cross flattens one of them if you don't do anything. When the game was first out I remember reading a thinkpiece about how the Klan is depicted in an unserious manner, which (the piece argued) has the effect of minimising the actual damage they did for people unfamiliar with the history.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Frog Act posted:

so for a task I need to get three perfect rabbit pelts. does the varmint rifle tear them up less than the bow and arrow? it seems logical that it would but I can't quite tell

Yup, use varmint rifle for rabbits and go for the head if you can.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Sax Solo posted:

Does anyone know how warning shots work online? I know how to do them, but it gives the other player some official game warning, too. I'm not sure what happens if you violate the warning.

I don't think it has any sort of official mechanism. You do it and the other player gets told you fired a warning shot. I think it's just a way to tell other players "get the gently caress away from me" without the need for voice

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I thought for sure the later/last chapter(s) of the story were going to see the gang end up retreating back up into the Grizzlies just to avoid the law, bringing them back to the same state they were in in the prologue. I guess it plays out somewhat in the epilogue. The Grizzlies are a fun area, I like to hang out there in online.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Big Valley has I think my favorite area in the whole game, around Little Creek River. It seems like it draws clear inspiration from the Piney river in Colorado, as featured in the "All Gold Canyon" chapter from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
As a case in point, DayZ was recently RC in Australia because of its inclusion of cannabis - nevermind that DayZ's been around forever.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Pepsi, Root Beer, and Vanilla.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Timeless Appeal posted:

I switch between the horse I got on the Hosea mission which I named Artemis and the horse I stole from the first Valentine bounty which I named Widow.

Wow, you never brought that guy his horse back?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Eau de MacGowan posted:

How much potent miracle cure do I have to drink to cure tuberculosis :smith:

At first I thought it was, like, a temporary status condition brought on by me spending all my time hanging out in the Grizzlies...

Also thought it might've been a story reason for Arthur to spend some time in New Austin... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Frustrating to complete a delivery only for the game to crash before I get my money but after my goods are deducted...

Oh cool, game crashing after completing a supply mission too. I'm really enjoying the pursuits update but the instability and camp glitch is making it difficult :/