Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The last red dead if you killed someone in a canyon they would respawn further trapped in the canyon in sight of you with no cover. One of the dumbest things ive seen a multiplayer game do ever. It was pretty easy to do this to somebody or have it done to you unintentionally the way the map was. You actually had to kind conciously avoid doing it to people if you werent trying to gently caress with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I also get the feeling we are gonna get homing rockets and poo poo they are just gonna call them "piloted by messenger pidgeons" or some poo poo. It will cost one wheelbarrow of money for each pidgeon.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I mean i expect the worst but gta onlines popularity was out of the blue even for them they were not prepared for it. Like hopefully they will plan for this one better at least. Starting from scratch planning for that level of popularity i assume it will at least be less janky, better thought out balance wise, and probably have a long term plan for balance. Or not lol.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah if it were made into a movie it would stand up with some of the better westerns ever made imo. It has a different tone than a gta game even though it does the same thing were it blends every trope it can get its hands on. Like if you watch westerns a lot of the scenes will be deja vue but the whole story is still interesting.

The zombie dlc is also good and i would not skip that either.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Cant all xbox games run on a pc now? I thought this gen they all could run on pc its just whether or not they allow it and build the options that you expect like fov settings etc. But on the developer end i though they could run everything on a pc now.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

If mexico is missing that is some bullshit right there. gently caress.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Jose Mengelez posted:

hope they keep whoever's responsible for gta online very far away from rdr2 online tbh.

That guy was a coke head and they pushed him out of the company im pretty sure. There was some drama about it a couple years ago but i dont remember the details, i could have this all wrong.

E: oh poo poo that was benzies the guy who wanted more sp content and who saved the development of rdr. Welp. Single player will still probably be good lol.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 4, 2018

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

In gtao if yall are trying to unlock the rdr stuff run pier pressure and just run up and down the pier murdering. Cops wont come in that mission and there is no timer.

A motorcycle makes the pistol one way quicker.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I couldnt have done another game qith that kid as the character. To me he was as much a metaphor for the death of the west and the old ways as any of the other plot points. But also real annoying

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Hugh Malone posted:

one thing i saw (the article about trying to find a fishing rod) said you have to pat your horse occasionally to keep it calm or the fucker will buck and bolt on you

I bet stuff like this becomes less prevalent as you get better horses

I feel like that was in the last one. You had a companionship meter or something and the horse would be less likely to spook on you or buck if you kicked too much? Also if i remember it was entirely ignorable and just playing regularly you would eventually fill the meter anyways. Im sure all these sytems are like that, a small bonus you can completely ignore.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Westerado was added to gamepass thing on xbone. Probably a goofy take on it but it may scratch the itch.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I mean if they could they would rockstar is about to hoover up another billion dollars, a logistics issue is pretty believable.

Also that was funny joke regardless of its accuracy

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-developers-speak-out-after-rockst-1829835034

so yeah probably should of done some homework but stay tuned for when i actually get around to doing it!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Whatever happens the online mode will have some value because dueling never really gets old.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The wrost part of gtaonline is that they never expected to take it this far so none of it is cohesive or thought out and none of it works together very well and if they had a plan from the get go even being greedy it would have been way better. They are going to have to really gently caress up to make it worse than gtao it will at least all fit together better i would think.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Bardeh posted:

At this point I'm half convinced R* have hired an army of PI's to sit outside stores to make sure the game doesn't get out until Friday. That's how tight they seem to have this locked down so far. The biggest release of the year, and arguably of the generation, and the only leak we've seen is a 20 second clip. That is pretty nuts this close to release.

Point being, you ain't gonna get it early dude :( Weren't independent game stores also saying they weren't getting their shipments until a week later in case of early leaks?

They actually never said or thought that. Broke brained journos intentionally buried the fact this is only for ps4 copies they were told xbone copies may make it so it never at any point looked like an attempt to prevent leaks. They intentionally made a mountain out of a molehill and it absolutely did the trick lol.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I mean when i insert myself into everyones business intent on solving all their problems with a gun i expect nothing but good outcomes personally.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Jimbot posted:

This would actually be a good message if you had any other choice than to solve it with a gun. Rockstar, which is the say the Hausers, don't actually give a poo poo about telling stories about these kinds of people. They're just instruments to used to beat you over the head trying to get some sort of point across.

So they didnt give you a choice whats your point? The lesson wouldnt be learnt if the outcome was rosy would it? Its a story thats how it works.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Again rockstar only mentioned ps4 copies. The xbone version and the hd versions may be available in some indie stores. I wouldnt bank on being able to get one but i would assume some people will.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Jimbot posted:

That kind of story works exactly once and the game was filled with them. Once that happens and you realize you used your gun to solve that problem and it didn't go well, you'd try not to use a gun in the future. But since the game doesn't allow for that freedom to apply that lesson, then that point is lost.

Yeah i can agree with that i guess i misunderstood you, sorry. I think it probably depends how fast you play through these how jarring it is but thats a fair point. That said for its day i dont think they did that bad compared to other open world games. Witcher 3 did not exist yet.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Unrelated but how many people shot the old mans wife and brother at the end there? The game should have aknowledged that imo. The devil guy should have been peeking over a rock going 'yesss haha yesss"

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Xbox already has the time up what time it will release i assume you could check from the windows store on anything as well. Someones said earluer playstation has the same. Its 11 for me and im central so i would assume it releases 12 eastern for everyone.

Just a heads up on xbone I had to kick off the ultimate edition stuff manually. Its not big dl or anything but i would check if you let yours dl automatically to make sure all the peices actually did. It was one of those 10mb files that didnt.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah it kicks rear end.

Hows the regular xbone version?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Jimbot posted:

You were outright dismissing criticisms from people who take these things seriously as being the very thing right-wing chuds online complain about (ultra PC police, ect.). Art does not exist in a vacuum and it can normalize bad behavior. Calling something problematic isn't the same as calling it bad or the people liking it bad.

It aint sunday i dont know why you think you we gathered here to hear you preach but get your head out of your rear end and find somewhere else to do this poo poo.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Nolgthorn posted:

The game starts in a cold climate so actually the horse balls get bigger instead of shrinking if you think about it.

I do think about it and you are correct

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Well im sure this has been said but god bless crunch time, this turned out pretty good.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The_White_Crane posted:

I mean, it's in the actual manual:

Now, it's possible that's untrue, but it's not "just a rumour".

I'm pretty sure you're right about the lawmen though; from what I can tell they have the Power to see through any disguise and instantly ID you.

My impression of their games is they develop a bunch of systems and then qa goes through and they say gently caress it cut it, its too much trouble, and then its such a big team the changes gets kinda lost in all of it. I mean gtav still warns you to bank your cash so it isnt atolen by other players but that never made it in. You can bank your cash but it doesnt do anything and isnt necessary. So the bank code is just a weird usless artifact they never removed. I feel like that may be going on here a bit. They designed it and wrote the manual, then they altered it to make it more simple to hit release and thats probably how it will stay.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

tjones posted:

I haven't played GTA5 online in years, but you used to be able to call in muggers on anyone in a lobby and if successful they would steal any on hand cash that wasn't banked. It was routine for my group to call in muggers on each other after finishing missions/heists as a comedy option for anyone that wasn't paying close enough attention to the tooltip that notifies the lobby a mugger was called.

Yeah i forget about that but i think there is a limit how much you will drop. At any rate the tooltip still says to bank cash so you dont lose it when you die which doesnt happen. I guess it was planned and then cut.

Another good example is the stock market which just doesnt work because they never turned it on but they never removed all that crap from the game or manuals.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think i flirted with that bug, a couple of shopkeepers treated me as though i had beat the game and spoiled the ending for me lol. The game gets confused sometimes and i cant really say more without spoilering but i think thats whats happening.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Tbh marston and abigail just bicker while the kid ignores it. They all sulk in different corners of the camp if they arent fighting. You arent missing much imagine a super annoying couple fighting all the drat time with no shame.

I have a terrible memory and could have missed some important dialog or something so i dunno.

Thats one issue im starting to see, i want to play this again and take a slower approach at some point, probably years down the line. How can you start a second playthrough you only get one save? Theres a lot you can miss and it sucks you have to start from scratch i guess.

If it comes out on pc thats not a huge deal for me like gtav i just created a second char then, but i think you can have multiole chars in gta you cant in rdr2 from what i can see.

So consoles are hosed i guess, that kinda blows because they made a game i think a lot of people will want to replay and i think there are at least 2 endings. Sorta weird. They never do a new game+ like other companies either.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Well gently caress that story heist i payed for.. i saw the icon for it briefly but it disappered and i waited around a couple days and it never popped back up so i hosed off to the next chapter because nothing indicated it was special. Thanks rockstar, you loving shithead idiots.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

Whoa, you can actually disarm those guys? I'm so bad at dueling it's a miracle when I hit them, wonder if you can get any of them to survive the encounter...

I tried this with one of the gunslingers on top of a train. I shot the first pistol out and he was like lol and pulled out another pistol and shot himself.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I did the same thing, but after he pulled the second one and put it to his head I panic-fired and put one right through his heart.

Lol i panicked too but i missed.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

You can load up canoes but i have a problem with them randomly sinking. Like my guy just puts the paddle away and leans into the water after a certian amount of tim no matter what. Its also slow as hell so after one load sinking i was done attempting that poo poo.

Anyone had that conoe problem though? I know they take damage but i was really carefull. I feel like just moving them off the shore damages them or something. Theres no visual cue its gonna sink. I paddled out and just sat there and it eventually happened as well.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

TMMadman posted:

I'm not sure how that guy got pelts on the train because you can't jump when you are carrying a large pelt.

The other day I was exploring around when I ran into some Lemoyne Raiders. After killing them, I took the cart they had so I could fence it. As I was driving through the bayou, I was also exploring and came upon two perfect alligators. I needed a pelt, so I shot both of them because they were right next to each other and I wasn't about to go skin one corpse while a live one was next to it. Plus I figured I'd be able to put the other pelt on the cart.

However, I was unable to drop the pelt on the cart or even jump to try and get into the cart. Now granted, this was not one of the open backed carts, so maybe one of those would work, but I'm not sure.

Thankfully, a solution to my two perfect large pelt problem presented itself when a man decided to ride through the bayou. I called out for him to stop and then shot him in the head without saying another word. Then I dumped his body in the bayou, worked his horse to level 1 and then tied the pelt to him. Not long after I was able to fence the cart and head back to camp with 2 perfect alligator pelts.

Canoes work because you can just walk over them. They sorta glitch into the floor a bit so even if it didnt sink it felt really janky doing it like it could go sidways and disappear or something but they stuck around even through the sinking animation lol.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

If you go to the player menu you can see all your stats like weight and how it effects everything and you can click each tab get more info.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Deified Data posted:

Is...is Sadie Bobby Hill?

This has been bugging the hell out of me i couldnt put my finger on who it sounded like but agreed lol.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

TMMadman posted:

This actually reminds me of something:

A lot of the missions have not using a health item as a requirement to getting gold.

However, does that mean any item ot just ones that affects health? I'm pretty sure I was able to use some liquor and chewing tobacco in the middle of a mission and still met that requirement.

A heads up if you are chasing gold rockstar is retarded and the cutscene counts as mission time, so time related goals you usually have to skip all the cutscenes for it to be possible at all.

Lol

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Accidentally choked the stage coach driver and he ran and then came back and hid behind a tree and would freak out when i looked at him and say "oh dear i dont like this" but he didn't snitch lol. Where are these guys when im robbing folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

TMMadman posted:

I kind of wish the honor system would let you avoid some potential witness type things.

For example, I just ran across a random encounter of a woman being hurt on the side of the road. Except when I stopped, she turned out to be faking it and tried to rob me with 2 of her buddies who rode up on horseback. After killing and looting all three of them, I was just about to ride off when someone rode up on me and I got the witness alert. I was able to stop him but he decided to pull a gun on me, so he had to die too.

But I kind of wish that in a situation like that, your honor would come into play and the witness would give you a pass or whatever.

Post game it does work more like this. All of you are forgetting the narrative you are the most wanted people alive the entire country is looking for you, you yell at dutch for this same behavior. Even if tou pay off your bounty during the story the heat is much more intense and people treat you like an outlaw on site generally because you are notorious. The dialog backs this up multiple times. Post game i dont want to say it works as it should all the time but all that constant bounty bullshit isnt nearly as bad. I can choke a motherfucker unprovoked in the middle of town people just tell me to cut it out.