Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Miss Grimshaw around camp is loving hilarious - she started screaming at one of the girls for reading a book and said she was going to kill her, and another time, Mary-Beth didn't want to go turn tricks in town so she told her she was going to beat her. This is my second play through - I rushed through it too fast the first time once the story going I couldn't help myself. This time, I am trying to hang out at camp more - camp loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

The first game turned off auto-save if you used cheats...they really sucked all the fun out of cheats didn't they. Even in GTA5 the cheats work, but they only last for a limited amount of time during game play.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Bondematt posted:

Howdy partner!
I said hello, Mister.

It's more like, 'I said...H E L L O' makes me laugh every time.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love that there are two versions of the game—theres the version I play with my 6 year old, where I work on the ranch, go into town to watch shows, and ride out on weeklong hunting and fishing trips and see the countryside.

Then there’s the other game where I rob everyone on the train, dynamite stagecoaches and police stations, murder camps full of insane cannibals, and generally shoot people for not waving back at me when I say howdy.

I do this exact same thing with my six year old. I let him ride around on the horse, fish, and parkour in the countryside, while I sit there with him. When he goes to bed I am busy robbin' and murderin'. :clint:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

For the story missions in RDO. I know if you have good honor you get the good missions at the end and bad honor gets the bad ones. Then I assume everyone gets the same final mission. Once I complete the final mission can I do the other missions by just putting myself in standby for story missions or do I actually have to go and change my honor?

I am in chapter three, and I just cannot zero out my honor. My first play through I did high honor - and I maxed it out without really trying. I wasn't excessively greeting people, etc. This time - I murder everyone I see and make the bad decisions whenever I can and it still isn't zero. I wonder if there is a mechanism that stops you from achieving high/low honor until the last chapter or so.

I am 64 hours in and only on chapter three. I spend A LOT of time causing trouble.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Can I finish up the challenges during the epilogue? (Bandit, Horsemen, etc)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Earlier I asked why I couldn't zero-out my honor and a couple of you thought you couldn't do it until the end - you were correct. After playing like an absolute psychopath the whole game, my honor dropped to zero as soon as Chapter Six started. I wasn't even doing anything, walking to my horse after the cut scene and it did it on its own.

Lucas Archer posted:

Awesome, good to know. I've been putting off rescuing Sean and doing other stuff around camp. I still have a couple missions in camp, as well as one mission way out east with Hosea. That's the one I was going to do next simply because it takes me to a new area I haven't explored yet.

Definitely hang out at camp as much as you can and interact with people. I didn't during my first play through, and I can't believe how much I missed.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I've got a question for someone who has already finished the game:

When you start the epilogue as John, do you have the full contents of Arthur's satchel? I am nearing the end as Arthur, so I've started to hold onto valuables I am finding so I can fence them as John and have some money right off the bat.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, that's something that really stuck out in my second playthrough, you are absolutely missing a TON of content in camp. Yes, you, the person reading this right now, missed out on a LOT of content at the camp. It's definitely worth heading back often, there's way more content popping up than you'd expect.

And it isn't all game - so early on, make sure to hang out in camp as much as you can. It slows down a lot as the storyline picks up.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

After a couple missions you get his satchels, items, weapons and clothes but none of his perishables (food, drink, small animal corpses) or money. As such saving all of his jewelry and gold/etc and then selling it as Marston is the right move.

Excellent - thank you. It is painful at the start being broke as John after living as fancy cowboy Arthur Morgan..

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Unsatisfying really is the right word. Like, when John can met up with Tilly and Pearson and Mary Beth, it was just so empty. No closure of any kind.

I missed this entirely on my first play through. Are these stranger encounters?

I ran through this my first time because I was so involved in the story, I missed a ton of the side missions - once chapter four started I was full steam ahead on the story missions. This time though, I've just started chapter six and I can't believe all the poo poo I missed.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Nash posted:

If you don’t do the epilogue you don’t play the greatest mission in the game .

building the house to music

Can't find this masterpiece outside of Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/agsse5/that_lumbago_aint_a_joke/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

imagine being so triggered you edit together over an hour worth of video of terrible critique because oh god they made the protagonist likable instead of a giant sexist racist

like holy poo poo has this guy never watched a loving western? rdr2 isn't new with the protagonist usually being pretty progressive relative to other people in that they don't give a poo poo about people beyond their personality and skillset.

My grandmother was in the hospital last year, and I watched about 8 hours of westerns with her one Saturday, in particular a couple hours worth of Wanted Dead or Alive episodes. Steve McQueen is a good guy bounty hunter who punches out bad guys who ogle women, and helps to clear innocent men wrongly convicted. He was a SJW on a TV show in the *50s* so they can miss me with that bullshit.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

This is really a game that actively punishes you for being a jerk, with how quickly you can rack up absurd bounties that will force you into being a murderhobo who isn't allowed near civilization.

And when you do become a murder machine, the people at camp lecture you. I’ve been taken to task for killing people by all of the girls, Pearson, and Rev. Swanson. Saint Denis is the worst - you bump into someone and get a bounty for assault.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Absolutely fucks me right off when you accidentally bump into someone, they open fire on you then you get arrested if you shoot back. They should at least have NPCs get chased by the law for that, and I'm surprised they don't given the absurd detail in the game in general

And you get bad karma on top of all that. I will say I’ve let myself get arrested a few times - it’s always fun when someone in the gang comes to break you out. I’ve had Dutch sweet talk me out, and Charles and John bust in shooting to rescue me, and then you have to escape on horseback.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

TheBananaKing posted:

I cannot figure out how to stand down so that the cops arrest me instead of just shooting my face off. It was an option like once in Valentine but every other time I thought I better just go to prison and stop this parabolic bounty I just get shot by every cop who approaches me. (Yes, I holster my weapons...)

I hate that when I save a random stranger on the trail from a rapist or their kidnapper and try to bring the guy to a jail hog-tied I get labelled as a kidnapper... I've heard that in some fringe circumstances you can bring in a random assailant but it's never worked for me.

So there’s no option to surrender in the interact menu? This game is very buggy where that is concerned - sometimes the “Greet” options light up for like a second then they dim again for stranger missions and you lose the whole option to pursue that mission.

I’ve also never had the extra bounties work for me. You can also bring in the people from the bounty hunter stranger encounters, once you kill the guys transporting them and you free them from the cage, you are supposed to be able to take them into the nearest town fora reward. I get my face shot off every time I try it though.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Chapter 6 alone is brilliant, the writing comes together in a really nice way and the performances all round are really good. It might be my favourite part of any Rockstar game to date.

For my second play through (I just finished up chapter six) I made sure to get all the side missions out of the way prior to starting chapter six. Once the story gets going, it is tough to go running off on side missions - they are too distracting.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I had a KKK encounter out by Emerald Ranch - the main dude and two white sheets were trying to put a cross up in the middle of an open field and I just rolled up on them. One dropped the cross on the other and they all tried to run. All the other ones (at least three) have been right by the town center in Rhodes in the woods.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Cowman posted:

The one thing that really disappointed me is how empty New Austin is. There's people and towns and a few bounties/hunts out there but there's really nothing much to do. It feels tacked on and pointless besides to tie in with the first game. I honestly wonder if there was a chapter cut from the game where Arthur goes to New Austin since the doctor does tell him to go somewhere warm and dry when he diagnoses him with tuberculosis, which made me think there would be a part in the desert. They built the map and filled it with a few animals and people but didn't do much else. They are for sure going to do a port of the first game though since they have the map already made and just need to adapt the missions. They'd be fools not to.

I’m there now and completely agree. It’s lifeless and boring especially in juxtaposition to the rest of the game. I grabbed a row boat in Thieves Landing and started to row to Mexico across the river. Suddenly the game forced me to stand up and jump overboard. I immediately drowned.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Guarma's final 'mission' was cool - but that was about it. The rest of it was boring as poo poo, and it totally takes you out of the game. No loving clue what they were thinking.

Edit: not the whole thing (which is one big mission) but once those dudes storm the beach, and you have to fight through it and grab the captain

Epilogue question: other than the graves, are there any other 'after game' achievements? I am going to work through the challenges in the meantime while I hunt down the graves.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 7, 2019

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Guarma was clearly intended to be a much longer section with less railroading. There is a whole town there that isn't used and apparently voice files for Spanish speaking npcs. Pretty obvious they just changed their mind about it halfway through production for whatever reason so it all feels a bit half finished. Really annoying how many animals you can miss easily there too if you're going for the plat.

No kidding - I didn't realize that. It was weird how there was really no way to explore - you were on foot, which completely dissuaded me from walking around too much. I can only speak for himself obviously, but I rushed through it quick as I could to get back to mainland.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

How on earth does the parley system work online? I keep choosing parley, and the same loving guy keeps murdering me, well before the ten minute timer runs out. Do both parties need to agree to it, or is it just broken?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Reign Of Pain posted:

Are you in a posse when this happens or is it a posse member from the dude that killed you that kills you again? I don't know the mechanics of it as I mostly avoid people online. I just want to do some more co-op story stuff and not have some loving god drat dummy griefer interrupting my hunting because they either wanted to be a oval office or the god damned dailies told them to.

He was a diamond shape instead of a circle - does that mean he was in a posse? I Googled and it does look like it only has to be one sided - so it wasn’t working. I kept getting the parley message but it wasn’t actually on. Freeroam is super lame - there is almost nothing to do.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Is overrun a new addition? That is actually pretty fun - it's basically capture multiple flags by running through a fire lit next to them. Pretty easy and fast.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I really like King of the Castle. If you ignore the castle objective and find a nice spot, you can pick off other players as they run for the objective and rack up a nice K/D ratio.

I don't think I've played that yet...you can do the same thing in Overrun too on a couple of the maps.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

How do you press charges against someone? Some red dotted dick killed me and when I killed him back he pressed charges against me. I didn’t have that option any where - is it level locked? I’m only like a 10.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Nash posted:

I’m a huge moron but how do you turn on defensive mode.

It’s under the player menu (hold down the left directional arrow) under online options. It’s kind of buried.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

They do, you just gotta be in the general vicinity. It'd be nice if they were either permanently marked on your map (why is the map in online not always marked with poo poo you've found?), or randomized.

I just keep this up on a second monitor when I'm playing:

Kinda wish that gang camps had black smoke, and NPC and player camps had white smoke. I've run after smoke signals a lot only to find it's somebody's camp and not full of enemies :argh:

This is really helpful....thank you!

How/when do I unlock additional weapon slots? I only have one side arm, and one long rifle slot. I looked through the unlocks and didn't see them. They aren't under abilities either that I can see.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I meant online - I should have clarified. Sorry about that. It didn't even occur to me that I might be able to already have this available - figured it was locked behind a level.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

zooted heh posted:

you have to be at least lvl 25 and buy the offhand holster to hold two pistols online.

Perfect - thank you!

hup posted:

You can use gold to get one early, too. Cheapest is like 2, I think

These are at gun shops? There isn't a gun shop in every town it is kind of annoying. I was in Blackwater and one didn't show up on the map...isn't there one in SP?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Is Quick Join broken for anyone else? I tried using it last night in PS4 and it ended up loading for a half hour. I gave up and went about my evening, and just checked in on it every so often.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Can anyone tell me how weight works in this game? It says I'm overweight so my character hasn't eaten anything in hours and I use tonics to heal, but my healthcore is low and I'm still overweight?

Do I need to run around and burn stamina like GTA SA or something?

Try sleeping - you can only sleep a couple times in a row then the game won't let you. Sleep, play for a bit, sleep again a couple times in row.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Well this is a hell of a weekly update.

Ride out to the Adler Ranch in Ambarino or search out the infamous gunslinger Black Belle in Lemoyne for new Free Roam Missions to play in Red Dead Online for both PS4 and Xbox One.

This week's updates also include new Early Access content for players on PlayStation 4 including the devastating Ancient Tomahawk along with a new Make It Count: Ancient Tomahawk Showdown Mode. There's also Last Stand, a bloody free-for-all Showdown Mode with no way out, no second chances and one winner. PlayStation 4 players will also get early access to the new Perlino Andalusian Horse and new horse equipment, clothing and emotes.

In addition to 25% RDO$ and Gold increased payouts for all A Land of Opportunities Missions, Free Roam Missions, Showdown Modes, Races and Free Roam Events – playing in a Posse this week at any point will earn you 5 bonus Gold Bars. There are a number of benefits to playing in a Posse beyond this week’s 5 bonus Gold Bars, including bonus RDO$ and XP when playing together, and the ability to bring an entire Posse into Free Roam Events, Competitive Challenges, or Showdown Series.

We continue to work behind the scenes to address overall game stability and performance with recent fixes including closing some duplication exploits, resolving issues related to reduced numbers of animals in sessions, updating Defensive mode to revert Playing Style to Offensive and apply a Hostility penalty when stealing cargo from another player’s horse and more.

I guess we needed to have some God drat Faith™

If I replay the story missions from the online menu, do I get the XP and money again from completing it, or is it only the first time you play it?

I played the first first Sadie mission earlier, it was pretty good - different than the other free roam missions in that there is more conflict with NPCs. None of the other ones I've played have had very much. Couple guys to shoot, then you're on your way.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Yeah it’ll work with anything. Doesn’t even have to be a perfect pelt - it can be a good one that gets downgraded to a poor one once you shoot it. Seems like as long as you have a good/perfect you’re good to go. It’s just less money if you’re duping a good, obviously.

Good luck trying to go into Blackwater while all this is going on. There are cougar spawns all near there and so there are a ton of people in that area and the game really slows down.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Did they take everybody's ill gotten gains and give them a penalty point?

I spent mine on guns and items before it could be taken away :getin:

Nah, I still have mine - just logged in to check. I can finally afford a winter coat!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Terra-da-loo! posted:

How come the residents of Blackwater keep going to the police and reporting horse theft every time I get on my own horse? In RDO on PS4, for the record.

I wouldn't care, but since when you're wanted you can't use shops, etc., it's pretty annoying.

Edit: also, can we confirm for sure that the carcass duplicate glitch has been fixed? Was going to abuse it just a little, but seems I'm late to the party.

It's gone - I tried earlier.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

What’s with the story missions? I am stuck at 68% - but I haven’t seen another one pop in days. I just completed “Destroyed with Grief”. Is there another one?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

Shift your honor in the opposite direction of wherever it's at.

No kidding - if I have low honor different story missions pop online? I’m going to give that a shot, pay the honor guy to lower mine.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Is there a way to set your horse for missions? Every time I start a mission I get the 'Scrawny Nag' instead of my actual horse which is the free PS4 War Horse.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

In Online, if I come across an NPC that is suppose to give a mission but he will not, am I missing some pre-requisite that the game isn't making clear, or is it a bug? Like, i've never been able to get the Random Stranger, or NPC at the train stations, to actually give me any missions.

Normally - you need to be a good cowboy/bad cowboy based on the mission. If you can't do it because of honor, it's greyed out with the cowboy symbol.

But there is something going on where the missions don't launch - you just stand there and sometimes it doesn't even grey out the 'Accept' button; it just doesn't show up. That kept happening last night, and when I would turn around to go back to my horse it was invisible - but I couldn't ride it.

TulliusCicero posted:

Go to stables in the player menu, hit stables, specialty horses, pick story to your horse

I don't know why Scrawny Nag defaults to story when you switch horses, but it does

Awesome - thank you.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand this at all. :( How do you become a good or bad cowboy/girl?

It’s the honor system. There are some missions that are locked based on your honor. You start out with good honor after the first couple missions they make you join during the tutorial if I remember correctly. The low honor stranger missions are more fun as they involve kidnapping and murdered. High honor are all “can you recover my stolen cart?” missions, kinda dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I’m trying over and over to join a Head for the Hills Match and it sends me to spectate, every single time. From the pause menu, from the online splash screen, even directly in the map at one of the markers. Is anyone else having this issue?

It really sucks they got rid of Overrun for this.

Edit: this is happening with any matches I try to join. It’s like Rockstar doesn’t want me to play this game.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 29, 2019