Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Where's the point where i can kind of gently caress off on my own? I've just made a long wagon ride to an idyllic meadow where the villain from the last game told me to get a job in Valentine. This game is excellent, but i wanna lone ranger it already...

E oh, it appears to be now

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Getting any wanted level in this whatsoever is just straight up not loving fun

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

Oof thats gonna be fun to deal with

I quickly learned in RDR1 that the best multiplayer strategy is "always have your auto pistol/shotty equipped, and always unload it at anyone you see, before they do, always"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I tried this last night and you can tame / break a wild horse, but once you ride into the stable it spits you back out saying this horse cannot be stabled. I'm sure it's just the limits of beta - right?

Putting half my chips on "no" and half my chips on "there will be an item that costs two gold bars that allows you to kidnap wild horses."

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm pretty sure GTA online at lunch had way more PVE missions. Being able to finish them in an hour is kind of disgraceful even for a so-called beta.

It had some tdm type stuff and "missions" that were incredibly unfun and were on the other side of like 4 minute load screens

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Thief posted:

the best part of taking a dead man's hat is changing your mind at the last second to take a different one before leaving the crime scene

Are everyone's hats steal-able in single player? The only one I've stolen on purpose was the raccoon hat off the loudmouth trapper in Valentine, but i thought it might be special. If i pop someone and take their hat, is it mine if i get to my horse with it (and maybe have an empty hat slot on the horse)?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I had a grey dot random encounter that was just a guy falling dead off his horse. Then a guy getting eaten by crabs on the shore near Rhodes declared to me his love for Bonnie MacFarlane, and I'm about to try to deliver a letter he wrote to her, deep in the part of the map i haven't unlocked.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Pretty sure the Rare Rolling Block is more accurate than the regular one even fully upgraded. You are right about the rest though; usually custom weapons are missing barrels and/or rifling that would improve the stats. That said the unique Schofields look cool enough that I don't mind using them over my customized ones.

Where are the pretty schofields

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Can you not run into the veteran to start his poo poo until chapter 6? I thought he showed up way earlier than this in my last game.

Im nowhere near ch 6 and I'm constantly harassed in town by a one armed man who doesn't remember specifically what war he was in

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

I wonder if that's for all products now?

Bait price appears to be fixed but all guns are unlocked for me lol

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I saw a sheep with a bouquet of flowers on it, so i shot it. It had a gold wedding ring attached to it too. Whoops

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok. I will do that then. I stumbled upon the dinosaur quest and am super jazzed to do that at some point.

I haven't gone out of my way to find any and I've already got two; it's a cool quest because you get to use the post office and you'll get (reward spoiler?) Quartz chunks for talismans

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm playing RDR1 while waiting for 2 to patch and this feels so primitive now after spending a month super deep into 2.

On the other hand, i sorely miss being able whistle for my horse while in a dead sprint and have my horse run up alongside me so i can jump on without stopping. I haven't been able to get mine to do that in RDR 2, he just sort of trots behind me until i stop and get on.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

The first dlc will include a crossbow and be you hunting bayou vampires in st denis

I could also see private trains and giant steampunk robot spiders

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I have to go through all that loving bullshit to make small game arrows and then they don't one shot squirrels. I think between this and realizing last night that rdr 2 is taking up 100 gb on my hard drive i think im getting a little frustrated with rockstars opus here

vv this is doable and i appreciate it vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 13, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If i huck my Viking axe at someone and don't retrieve it, does it pop back up in my horse inventory or at a gun dealer or anything?

E its an interesting dynamic, going fishing with the first boss of the previous game.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 13, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

"Whales" in microtransaction parlance are the people who go balls deep on the real money purchases. I've read stories about guys spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Supposedly high end whales can outright make demands of the game and get the phone numbers of CEOs, depending on the game or company.

Secret forums billionaires please do the needful

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tercio posted:

I don't want or need contrived mechanics to make this more like GTA Online. Microtransactions are unavoidable but if it becomes about ways for me to buy some 1899 analog of a yacht/jet/death laser then gently caress it.

Edit: Also weird to add your market for gold bars before you add any worthwhile content to spend them on but I'm not the billionaire developer so :shrug:

I haven't touched online yet and missing the first gold giveaway didn't exactly light a fire in me to start; this might actually get me to do it in the next couple days.

E in the first rdr online, there was a mission where you had to clear bad guys out of a canyon, and you could pretty much sit in one place and just zap bad guys as they filed into the canyon one by one. I did this mission a billion times to level up and unlock everything in a couple days, my hopes aren't high but is that sort of thing doable in rdr2?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 14, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Groovy. I seem to remember the canyon mission in the first one being kind of magical. Hunting, fishing, and being griefed it is!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

Do RDR1 Dutch etc actually stand up particularly well now given the character development in 2 and relationship with john? I remember them being pretty hollow but it's been a long time since I played it.

Javier and bills dialogue are mostly along the lines of "stop chasing me" and "aagh I'm dead," but i remember Dutch makes at least one big speech that fits perfectly with this game. Along with the little snippets john says about Dutch, They either had Dutch totally fleshed out before rdr 1, or they're just great at writing in characters backwards, or something.

E and his death in rdr is perfect too, it would have been distracting to be thinking "john runs you over with a horse when you get stuck in some geometry in eleven years" the whole time

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 17, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I mostly only see Kentucky Saddlers out in the wild, but I've run into Appaloosas a couple times. I think I'm grabbing one next time i see them, I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier but i only see them when im in the middle of other poo poo.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think before RDR 3 we'll get a very serious-rear end mafia game that will differentiate itself from GTA by being an impenetrable novel of a game where you start as a kid and it's hours before you do anything but meet characters and deliver groceries or whatever.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Narrator posted:

Yeah ditto, with RDR2 I feel like they can be done with the series as a specific thing about the decline of the old West.

Now give us the open-world game casting you as an OSS officer working with the resistance in Nazi-Occupied Paris

The Saboteur ruled, even with its sometimes terrible problems

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Ran into the nite folk :stare:

Where do i go

E I've just officially gotten to saint denis, which felt strange because between the trapper, fence, and tailor, id spent way more time there than in Rhodes when i got to the whole dramatic "so this is one a them there cities" cutscene with the plumes of smog coming out of the factories. The interesting thing happened when the game dumped a bunch of kind of random stranger events on me-- focusing on just this city, through a bunch of little missions, running in alleyways and cemeteries and driving RC boats in the park, made it feel way bigger than it had when i was just sprinting between the train station and the fence. I still wish it were a tad bigger (or more than a tad), but its crazy how the alleys wrap around themselves and how many balconies and dead ends and escape routes there are.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 22, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I stood on a road looking directly at my horse, desperately whistling over and over, and it just stared at me until the mission failed

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Let us have our remake dreams okay

Though funnily enough I consider RDR2 such an improvement on the first in almost every way (not just mechanics but also likable characters, plot structure, sidequests that aren't totally miserable, etc) that the only thing I really want out of it is a fully explorable Mexico again. There was something incredibly charming about John trying to speak Spanish to random townsfolk.

Apparently someone glitched into a fully constructed but unpopulated Mexico that exists in the map already

vv ouch, that's definitely a strike against it being a planned expansion, i hadn't actually seen the video haha vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 24, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

is there any way to defend yourself without breaking the god drat law in this game?
i was walking around in saint-denis and some kids lured me into an alley where a bunch of thugs pulled guns on me so i run away and these guys are chasing me, shooting up the whole city... after taking like 10 bullets in the back i turn around and shoot one of the guys in the head and now im suddenly wanted for murder when the cops didnt give a poo poo a bunch of hooligans were trying to kill me in the middle of the street

Masking up before you shoot back and running has been the only solution ive found. I don't know if changing outfits helps, i almost never have time to do it when the law's a comin

E and that same random encounter caused me to load my emergency save and never chase/follow/trust anyone again

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 24, 2018

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

A $10 bounty, a cutscene of getting arrested and maybe even a fun roaming shootout/escape with the police if you don't surrender

The horror, the horror...

I will never surrender, and shootouts inevitably end up costing me like $300 in bounties; that said i only ever feel the urge to time travel when a situation escalates from something dumb or an accident. Yesterday i went to get on my horse and ended up full on tackling an old woman in front of a police officer, i ain't takin the rap for that

... also does surrendering actually work, i might try that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

Gta online for PC used to have a group - is there a social club or something xbone (my current platform) can all join. Besides the discord....

Lljk is for both

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

In the old west, you would die if you swam for more than thirty seconds

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

titties posted:

I would die now if I swam for more than 30 seconds tbh

Ainsley McTree posted:

Back then the water was full of gold so it was harder to swim through

It just seems like a cheap way to keep you from swimming across some barrier or another, but all its done is murder me while im trying to swim from one dock to another to run from the police. Two missions so far have ended with Arthur having to swim a big rear end distance in a cutscene, then I'm right back to struggling to barely swim out of the deep part of a pond in warm weather

Also (ch...5? spoiler) was there anything i should have gone looking for in Guarma? There were two points when i had free roam but i just kind of plowed through. There were unique animals and poo poo there, and im sure i didn't see the whole place, do i get to go back?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kin posted:

I'm still getting stuck into chapter 3 and found a handy interactive map for all of the collectibles. I just unlocked the cave drawings one though and there are a few that still aren't open for me. To save from pointless backtracking, I'm trying to minimse riding all over the goddamned map and instead want to clear out a region at a time. At what chapter is it best to do this or am i pretty much going to have to complete the entire story before that becomes a viable option.

I wish i had blown through all the extra stuff in chapter 4

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

Okay, where the hell is Gavin? Can someone spoil me?

Just tell me where to go to find out. Oh god its in the epilogue isn't it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I dont mean to sound like a dick but the real reason your horse does this is because of you.

Protip: let go of your left thumb stick when you're about to gallop through dense forested areas or near obstacles because your horse will actually avoid these things automatically.

:stare:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Really? Seems more like Game Shark to me.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

I just spent nearly all my money on clothes in the Not New Orleans town.

Though since I'm only in chapter 2 it was only like a 100 bucks and it was some pretty nice clothes.

Grab yourself a perfect elk hide, the trapper makes white gloves out of them

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

I wonder if this is a remnant of the spawned shark in GTAV that kills you if you go far out into the ocean. It does look like it only spawns once he crosses the very edge of the marked map.

Hot tip that I haven't seen any of the Guarma glitch videos touch on: if you do activate it without falling off the edge into the Guarma map, it fills the rest of the main map with water at sea level. This is a problem since "sea level" is set for the upper-half of the map, not New Austin/Mexico.

Rockstar please implement old timey diving bells and the big bubble head scuba suits tia

Fake edit: horse scuba as well god bless

To contribute to glitch chat, when i was in chapter 2 or 3 i rode all the way to Armadillo and the MacFarlane ranch, since i found the the dude with the letter to bonnie, without seeing any bad guys or getting a wanted level or whatever. Everyone in Armadillo had cholera, it was hilarious. I couldn't find anyone to take the letter at MacFarlane ranch, and i got bored just riding around, so i headed back to Valentine, again without any problem.

The next time i approached the border, it was to fish next to some outdoorsman that spawned on the New Austin side of the river. There was a loving army of bounty hunters on me before i got out my fishing rod and i was slain. It wasn't until after that i even figured out that's supposed to happen automatically, and i had accidentally glitched over. I still don't think i did anything special, i just crossed at a pretty remote area

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 3, 2019

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ada shatan posted:

This was before I learned that you can drop your guns all you want but in the end they'll always be on your trusty steed.

Still need a "leave at camp/sell useless Springfield rifle/worn X" option

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Kawabata posted:

This game's controls have got to be some of the worst in modern gaming.

Game forces you to go through thousands of loving button presses and holds for the simplest poo poo, has different buttons for the same action in separate situations, and I constantly get hosed by the still incomprehensible "Aim" R2 prompt that has you shooting people as soon as you do press it. Hilariously, even now that I know it happens, when I try the usual L1 to equip the revolver it doesnt do it as long as the R2 prompt is up.

It works if you juust tap it, and depressing it slowly actually let's you quick draw whenever you want. I think it's what you're supposed to do in situations where someone is holding a gun on you but I haven't made that connection in the moment yet

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

*at pinkerton HQ*

"Boss, western fiction keeps using our name as a shorthand for "hypercapitalist villains", how do we fix our reputation?"

"Let's sue"

I think the "clear affection" sailed over my head

There's no way they're even remotely the real pinkertons, didn't the Pinkerton agency become the fbi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

CeeJee posted:

A weird thing just happened, I rode into a Lemoyne Raiders camp with a pump action shotgun equipped, fired a shot, got off the horse and suddenly I'm doing John Woo like moves with the sawed off from my holster. First a spinning-around-with-arms-spread-wide shot and then a second shot without looking off to the side. It looked cool as poo poo but then I'm stuck reloading with half a dozen more assholes shooting me. The pump action was also gone somehow.

Bug or feature ?

I have no idea, it sounds like the little flourish Michah does in a cutscene during a mission in Valentine. All I would add is that going into dead eye magically reloads your guns, and that might have kept you alive, but I have no idea how you did that haha.