Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
As long as I get to murder lots of Pinkertons I'll be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Fart City posted:

I think this is the only reason I'm not as hyped as I feel like I should be for this game. I love the first RDR, but found GTAV to be a letdown, and seriously despise the emphasis on Online over any single player content for that game. There's an air of "lol ur gonna buy it anyway, so whatever" with how information for RDR2 has been eked out, and it has kind of set a bad taste in my mouth. Just like, let me see how the game works, man. Let me build some faith in the product by getting eyes on it.

I think they're one of those developers who can rely on their pedigree but still think it's dumb that they do to this extent. Kojima Productions released probably 2 hours' worth of gameplay footage for MGSV prior to its release. CDPR put out a 45-minute demo for Cyberpunk 2077 which is still a year or two away. Hell, even Ubisoft realized the Assassins Creed series had become so bland they started putting out long gameplay demos of the new ones just to build goodwill. On the one hand I like being dropped into a huge, detailed open world without knowing what to expect, on the other hand I always have the impression that a studio is confident in the game they made if they're willing to show off hours of it before release.

abigserve posted:

GTAV, while I liked it a lot, really gave me the shits with some missions requiring long drives across the countryside to get to the next place. Just loving teleport me there, I'm not gaining any immersion by listening to two characters prattle on while driving around and you already made me drive to the mission start point as well!

I really hope they cool it with the long stretches of expository dialog on horseback. It's awkward to have characters yell over the sound of galloping horses about politics or why this or that character is an rear end in a top hat. Hell, this sort of thing is really rare in Witcher 3 and the game is so much better for it. I want breathing room where I can admire all the details in the environment and get pulled in so a lack of dialog is fine.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 24, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My gripe is that I want less of the horseback exposition, they don't have to cut it entirely. Or they just add in the Witcher option of "hey I'll meet you at [objective] later" and get some exposition at the mission location later. RDR has horseback exposition in like every mission and it's irritating. Script some interesting cutscenes, mix it up.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Can't wait to find my first Blood Meridian pedophile hermit

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

achillesforever6 posted:

Interesting to already seeing takes that the game is too big, but that seems like a common criticism with the open world genre right now.

Big isn't a problem so much as sparse. Witcher 3 and its DLC have you traversing a continent on horseback, but it's not a slog because the world is dense with hidden stuff, mini quests, and cool environments. Seems like Rockstar was well aware that they couldn't just make Red Dead again, for all its strengths, and have made this a quasi-RPG.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I really hope we get to kill some klansmen in this game

I'd settle for killing a Nathan Bedford Forrest stand-in, but I doubt Rockstar will get anywhere near that subject matter.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tercio posted:

When LegacyKillaHD is connected in any fashion it's HUGE NEWS I always have reason to doubt a bit.

Yeah, that guy is the poster child for using any scrap of news or rumor to sensationalize in a 15-minute video to get a buck. Can't say I blame the guy but we're so close to release that there's no reason to watch his stuff. Chances are we'll get some new official video or preview weekly from now until release.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
D-Horse rides again!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm sorely tempted to play the entire game as a fat, antisocial, goony outlaw who never bathes

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Touché

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Same. I'm wondering if we'll play the ferry boat robbery the Stranger mentions. I'd love for some sort of Judge Holden type character we could cross paths with in the game. There are so many great supernatural stories that take place on the frontier during this period. Hell, they could put in homages to half of Ambrose Bierce's ghost stories.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

BillBear posted:

I feel like Red Dead should become the flagship series, it's just way cooler than GTA is imo.

While I agree that practically every GTA character is insufferable, I think having one RDR per decade helps keep Rockstar from it's bad and lazy writing habits that seem to be more prevalent in GTA. I'd rather they give other genres the RDR treatment. I'm still waiting for Agent, dammit.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Croccers posted:

This still better have funny spaghetti western I've Been Shot! staggering death animations like RDR1.

I will be seriously pissed if these aren't in it. It was great watching people fly over fence posts and stuff.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mandrel posted:

I rewatched Assassination of Jesse James last night, and have started Yellowstone which is great so far. Thought about hooking up the 360 and replaying RDR1 but think I’m just gonna be binging westerns til release instead

Between Amazon Prime and Netflix there's a good selection right now. Netflix has Unforgiven, Silverado, Hateful 8, Slow West, and The Homesman. Amazon Prime has The Man with No Name trilogy, Hang 'Em High, 3:10 to Yuma, Magnificent 7, Stagecoach, etc.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 14, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Capn Beeb posted:

The Salvation is pretty good too, though I'm a giant loving nerd for Mads Mikkelsen so I may be biased in this regard :v:

True. There are so many great "Mads murders everyone" movies like Valhalla Rising or Flammen and Citron that I forgot about The Salvation.

To anyone who hasn't seen it The Homesman rules and is the best (anti)western since The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm kinda hoping there isn't a character switch to John later in the game. While Arthur dying at the end seems too obvious, I could see John helping Arthur fake his death to get Dutch off his heels.

Also Bonnie's dad had my favorite voice actor in the game.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

davebo posted:

Yeah especially with the money Rockstar is pulling in from GTA5. I don't understand how a company making these immensely popular games can't just have the amount of employees they need. Would shareholders really prefer they work a smaller team to the bone with multiple delays than just having a larger team that gets games done when they first projected?

Shareholders don't think this long-term, unfortunately

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Cultural Marxist posted:

I didn’t even know he was a real person.

I didn't either until recently. I started listening to old Opie & Anthony shows because of Patrice O'Neal (RIP) and Laslow would come on to promote whatever Rockstar was releasing at the time. Apparently Anthony voices a general store owner in Red Dead, but he would have been better as Herbert Moon since he's a screaming racist

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ThomasPaine posted:

lmao that the collectors box doesn't even include the game. I'll end up loving this like I do all rockstar games but gently caress me if they aren't total scam artists

I don't really understand the kind of person who would spend $200 on a bulky collector's edition filled with stuff you might look at only once, especially if it doesn't include the game. Aside from CDPR or FromSoft I have never really played DLC content I'd consider essential. Besides, paying for that type of modular game content at its most expensive is pretty dumb. But hey if that's how people wanna spend their money, more power to em.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Disc vs digital is irrelevant to performance, it's only about convenience

Yeah, I'm only getting physical because I have a couple gift cards lying around. Generally I prefer digital but my internet is so crappy I won't be able to play this on launch day either way.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are there bugs with the camp item requests? I have Dutch's pipe but there seems to be no way for me to give him the loving thing.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I guess it isn't possible to sell weapons you don't want?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Man am I glad I got one of the treasure hunts out of the way because it nets you some really valuable stuff. I used a walkthrough but the treasure maps give you a good reason to travel to diverse, cool areas. I need to do a ton of hunting now.

veni veni veni posted:

I tried to hunt a cougar and the result made me jump a little bit when it loving jumped out of a bush and mauled me to death. The animal animations are loving incredible. Like, I'm probably going to fixate on how bad they are in most games after playing this.

During my treasure hunt I rescued someone from a cougar but got mauled in the process. There was a huge, bloody claw mark on my back that later turned black as the blood dried.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 29, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

TheAnomaly posted:

Tips for hunting and camp life

Thanks so much for these. It's kinda baffling if slightly refreshing how many mechanics in this game are left unexplained. To add to this, I discovered one in camp totally by accident.

Chores

There are chores in camp you can perform that give you honor points and increase your Dead Eye experience. Each chore is marked on the minimap with a black dot. There are five logs to split for firewood near Strauss' tent. There are two hay bales near Tilly's tent/wagon you can take over to the horses' feeding area. There are also two sacks of provisions near the hay bales which you can take over to Pearson's kitchen. Finally, there's a water bucket behind Tilly's wagon that you can take over to the wash barrel that's behind Pearson's station (next to the beer bottles). The chores will gradually respawn and there's usually some unique dialogue since others in camp notice you doing your bit.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Always wear the legendary grizzly hat

I'm sorely tempted to let my beard hit max growth, get all the skins I need for the full grizzly outfit, then spend the rest of the game roleplaying as that guy from the Coen Brothers' True Grit.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I had no idea there were artificial ways to grow your hair. That's hilarious.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jay_Zombie posted:

Is it just me, or does Arthur sound like a slightly more sober Rooster Cogburn?

To me he's basically a male version of Robin Weigert's Calamity Jane from Deadwood.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

DrNutt posted:

Yeah that guy loving sucked and got what he deserved.

Gunslingers spoiler: I really enjoyed the Mexican gunslinger up in the grizzlies. If you are nice to the guys in the camp, they say gently caress off and just unload on you. If you show up and swagger in and are an rear end in a top hat, they point you in the direction of their leader, and when you're forced to kill him they shout "he's dead!" and they all just take off running across the frozen lake.

Oh what the gently caress that's awesome and I wish I'd thought of doing it that way.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 29, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Man, it's really loving dumb that you can kill a guy from a distance with an arrow at night and instantly everybody in the area knows exactly where you are and starts shooting you. Like yeah they should see the dude die but then they should have to search the area to find you. Why bother having a silent ranged weapon when enemies react like you fired a buffalo rifle?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are the satchel upgrades worth the effort? I kinda want an excuse to just spend the next few days hunting before I go forward with more story missions. Still in chapter 2.

Also my favorite piece of music so far is a really chill slide guitar ambient track that plays after you stop Mary Linton's brother from killing himself. I did that part right at sunrise so it fit perfectly.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Not gonna lie, I will probably do this just to buy all the clothing from the catalog and to keep the camp well stocked.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Cool. In that case I'll stick to treasure hunts.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Feenix posted:

Am I only getting poor squirrel pelts because I’m not using the right arrows or something? If so, what do I need?

If you're close enough to target an animal or look at it through a rifle scope or binoculars, there's a star icon next to the animal's name. You want to go for 3-star animals only. Also, for squirrels I would use small game arrows. You can craft them at a campfire. For stuff bigger than a squirrel (rabbits, raccoons, etc.) use a varmint rifle. You can buy this at a gunsmith shop. I think eagle eye vision or maybe dead eye will highlight the best target areas to shoot when tracking animals. I tend to go for headshots or center-mass body shots.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bear is driving! posted:

For most animals, you have to "discover" them so to speak. The first time you see them you have to hold L1 I think (on PS4) until you get the info on them, then it will show star levels for all animals of that type from then on.

Right. I think you only have to study a given species once and any subsequent time you see a member of the species its star rating shows up automatically.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 31, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I do wish that mission objectives worked more like Witcher 3 where the optional stuff is focused more on exploration and talking to NPCs for additional info. Having optional objectives like "complete x within arbitrary time limit" is incredibly dated.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

TMMadman posted:

You can absolutely shoot a fish.

I don't know about legendaries, but certainly regular fish.

Is fishing gated behind a story mission or something? The last time I looked in a catalog the lures were locked out.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Man, hunting in this game is so engrossing. Just loving off for days, setting up camp near a legendary animal's territory, cooking some recipes and brewing coffee at the break of dawn. Reading by the campfire to pass the time before you set out to spend half the day tracking and catching your quarry. Then by the time you finally show up in civilization again you look like Jeremiah Johnson.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 1, 2018

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is Liar's Dice in this game? I played it a ton in the first one but haven't bothered with poker or dominoes because they seem boring

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Goddamn, what an oversight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Anime_Otaku posted:

In the side missions to photograph the old gunslingers is there a way to stop Billy Midnight from committing suicide? and is that going to be a theme with all of them?

Apparently not but I've heard you can disarm Flaco and the pigshit farmer during those duels. I have no idea if this changes the outcome and if they live afterwards or if you just shoot it out with them anyway.