Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really wish this game had a "you don't need to worry about eating and feeding your horse and cleaning your guns and poo poo" mode, sort of like how in Fallout the "you need to eat" mode is optional. I really love the whole setting and missions and stuff, but I feel kind of overwhelmed by all the poo poo I'm supposed to maintain. Regarding health/stamina/deadeye cores, do things like food/drinks/cigarettes restore the cores and the elixirs restore the actual meter? Also, does it at least warn you when a gun is starting to get hosed up and needs cleaning (or something else warrants maintenance)?

Also, it's kind of amusing how running into someone on your horse is instantly treated like you suddenly started shooting people. I was trying to return a horse to a dude and mistakenly ran into him and suddenly I had a bounty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I did the early quest where you go hunting with Hosia. I then stayed and fought a legendary bear, which involved me shooting it as it ran up to me, being mauled, somehow knifing it a bunch until it reared up, and then shooting it in the face, causing it to die with me having a tiny sliver of health left. Drinking a health potion on the horse ride back to camp seems to have healed the giant gashes in my back, as well as fixed my shirt. Unfortunately it seems I can't offload this pelt unless I go to some trapper, so I guess I'll have to ride out again.

On the way back I heard a guy yelling. He was being mauled by a wolf. I scared the wolf off by shooting it like 6 times, which somehow didn't kill it. Must have been a powerful wolf. I tried to give him a health potion, and he said "I'm bleeding out! That won't help!" and then, just as he said, he bled out. I looted a good quality badger pelt off his corpse. I'm guessing that was just some random event and not a quest I hosed up on by not shooting the wolf fast enough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

uncle w benefits posted:

How long do I have to wait to retry after failing a legendary animal? After Hosea's King Bear quest I tried it on my own, with a long barrel shot gun and slug ammo. I put two into its grape and it still barreled into me, one shotting me. Now, after my respawn, I don't get the 'in a legendary creature territory' message anymore.

That is incredibly dumb. Two aimed slugs into the skull of this thing wasn't enough.

That's weird that it one-shot you. The bear also barreled into me and I thought "welp, I wasn't exactly expecting to succeed anyways" but then while I was getting mauled a button prompt popped up, which I proceeded to mash, causing me to knife the bear, which lead to it rearing up, time slowing down, and me finishing it off with a shot to the head. Maybe you didn't have a knife equipped so you didn't get the chance for the prompt?

It's goofy that this game, which has this annoyingly heavy focus on realism where you have to keep your horse clean and fed and poo poo, also allows you to heal from grievous bodily wounds through eating food. Like, you'd at least think they'd make you go to a doctor or something (though I'm happy they don't; I already wish I could ignore half the "realism" mechanics).

People mentioning murdering folks; I mistakenly murdered a couple O'Driscolls by pistol whipping them. They started fist-fighting me, and in the middle of the fight I suddenly started pistol-whipping them instead of punching. I'm not sure why, guess I must have pressed some button. It was apparently lethal. I never found out if anyone found the bodies, because while leaving the scene I mistakenly jumped onto some other guy's horse (I was trying to greet him, but forgot to hit L2 first while close to his horse, causing me to jump on it), causing him to start yelling at me about stealing his horse. Even after I returned it to him! I didn't want to get in trouble, so I shot him in the head. Somehow, despite being in the middle of loving nowhere, there was a group of lawmen hanging around nearby to witness the crime. They killed me. I then reloaded my save, because I don't feel like dealing with the consequences of that poo poo.

By the way, is there any harm from your camp's ammo and medicine stores going into the red prior to unlocking the ledger? Mine are both red, but I can't donate ammo/medicine yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Qubee posted:

just be careful, having your poo poo unholstered can lead to a lot of accidental "aiming at someone and freaking them out" moments when you actually meant to greet them or something.

Something similar to this is to remember to press L2 before attempting to greet someone else on horseback while you're riding a horse. If you're too close to them and press square without pressing L2 first, you will jump onto their horse (which they reasonably interpret as you trying to steal it).

edit: To be honest, the controls in this game are kinda lovely and unintuitive, though I'm sure I'll get used to it at some point. I didn't have this sort of issue with Witcher 3, for instance. Just moving around also feels kinda awkward and clunky.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't really hold back on story missions? I get the impression they can be very lucrative and are probably a better idea than killing random animals and poo poo (which does not seem very lucrative).

Speaking of killing animals, is there an element of randomness in their pelt/carcass quality? I've one-shot them with arrows, immediately returned to camp, and still had them be poor quality. One rabbit I one-shot with a varmint rifle was poor quality, while another was perfect, with seemingly no difference.

edit: Also, should I immediately skin animals or wait to skin them after returning to camp? I'd normally assume the latter, but who knows.

Bardeh posted:

I turned off HDR after I realized the game looked really washed out and rear end with it on. The colours are so much deeper and richer with it off - I'm not quite sure how they managed to gently caress it up so badly.

HDR usually looks bad if you enable it on a TV that doesn't have "actual" HDR (a lot of TVs advertise HDR but actually don't have the real thing, from what I understand).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So like a huge dumbass I blew almost all my starting money on a Varmint Rifle, which I proceeded to pimp out in all the fanciest upgrades. I did this because I was totally sure I'd be able to make that money back by killing small animals. I don't think this plan is going to work out.

Is this rifle good for anything else? Should I use it against people? (I would assume no, since it's only .22, unless it's particularly accurate or something)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

So infinite horse whistling distance is a cheat code, which means if you activate it, you can't save your game anymore.

It also means that it's unlikely to ever be an actual ability you get because Rockstar considers this feature, a feature universally present in every other game with a mount system ever made, to be cheating.

Fan loving tastic.

This game has a number of "realism"-related features that really should have been optional. I can understand why people enjoy them, but it sucks being forced into dealing with them.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I hate the inventory system. It's so clunky and dumb. It's really annoying to use it.

Edit - also I wish that eating was an optional thing. I totally forget to do it while wandering around looking at poo poo and hunting and then find myself underweight. It's not really fun imo.

Yeah, Fallout 3/NV/4 made that setting optional for a reason. It's usually not too hard to just munch some food occasionally to heal myself, but it's annoying that I have to think about it in the first place.

I also agree whole-heartedly about the inventory. Why couldn't it just work sorta like Witcher 3's or something?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 31, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I saved the game before fighting some dude (who appeared to have robbed and murdered a couple, so I figured I could kill him without recourse), and then after fighting him glitched out and got stuck inside a wagon, so I loaded the save. After loading the save I was in a completely different place, and the destination I was heading towards (the trapper) is no longer on the map. What the gently caress?

edit: Btw, I found some creepy blind man who said some important sounding vague stuff. I gave him a dollar.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 31, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dirtgolem posted:

I'm still real early in the game 'cause I'm pretty casual. So casual, that I stuck around to kill the legendary bear and skin his hide but once I had that huge loving pelt on my horse I didn't really know what to do with it. Perhaps missed a prompt, went back to camp, put it down at some point then the game tells me I abandoned it. Only once it was irreversibly gone from my life did a prompt tell me to take it to a trapper. Thanks :negative:

The Trapper disappeared from my map after I loaded a save (which I loaded because I glitched inside of a wagon somehow). Since it was gone, I decided to do a story mission. The story mission removed the legendary pelt from my horse. Supposedly the Trapper will still have access to it for the sake of crafting or something, though I think you don't get the money from selling it.

This game has enough finnicky stuff that I feel like I need to save constantly, since I never know when I'm going to glitch out or get a massive bounty because I bumped into someone on my horse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm getting the hang of things a bit more now, though I still have to frequently save because it's possible to get hosed by bad luck. Like sometimes the horse just gets finicky and gets itself killed. Like I was chasing some dude under train tracks to lasso him for one of the early quests, and as I was passing between these wooden girders the camera angle shifted, causing my riding angle to shift as well and slam us into the girder. I like to think that in real life it would not be possible to so easily "pilot" a horse full-speed into a stationary object. Maybe horses are really that stupid though.

Some of the random side content in this is neat in how involved and "organic" it feels. Like I helped some lady that was stuck under a horse and took her into town and she talked to me a bunch. It also just feels kinda neat when you discover stuff, for some reason. Like when you random come across a robbery or an injured person or whatever.

edit: I hope that near the end of this game a bunch of depressing stuff is happening and things are going to poo poo with the gang, and then suddenly my man Arthur Morgan just shrugs and rides his horse off into the sky (which is the reason he is never mentioned in RDR1). It will turn out that seeing Arthur on a flying horse also contributed to Dutch's condition in RDR1.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

super macho dude posted:

Theres a pretty easy grind to raise honor by just catching and releasing fish.

I'm imagining some random townspeople walking by, seeing this guy releasing fish he's caught, and thinking "good man."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any reason to continue donating pristine pelts to camp after you've donated one for a particular animal?

Also, I find that I frequently run into an issue where I lasso an animal from horseback and then un-lasso them when I jump off the horse. I imagine I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Do I need to keep R2 pressed the whole time?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's hilarious in this when you're trying to ride your horse in some steep rocky area and suddenly it falls and both you and the horse are slowly tumbling down and the horse is yelling and you're yelling and the whole scene is just so goofy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Rockstar and Bethesda should get together and do yet another Skyrim release, this time it's just Skyrim with Rockstar's euphoria stuff in place. I want to see the most broken game known to man and what wondrous glitches might result.

Or the couple times when I've been trying to hitch a horse to a tree and suddenly the horse will fall down and start yelling.

(To be fair this isn't exactly a common occurrence, but it's funny when it happens)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there a way to move faster with witcher vision on? It's annoying how everything goes into super slow-mo when I use it, and it's awkward pressing both joysticks down to activate.

By the way, another funny thing that happened was when this obviously shady Mexican guy asked for help because he lost his horse, and then he tried to mug me. I pressed the "surrender" option, raised my arms, and then mistakenly punched him in the face, which made him drop his gun and say "im sorry plz dont shoot me."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I found the pig farm last night. It owns.

Speaking of pigs, I found some and was like "oh sweet, new animal," so I lassoed it and stabbed it in the neck. I then became wanted for "animal cruelty."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Walking/riding on mountains is a little awkward but when a horse rolls down a hill it's always funny.

poo poo, when you roll down a hill it's always funny. Arthur Morgan also does that thing where he slowly rolls around while yelling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've started playing this game on PC now that I have a fancy PC that can run it well in 4k. I played it briefly on PS4 around when it came out, but didn't get very far. IIRC I kept running into people with my horse, which got me in trouble with the law. I've managed to avoid that this time (it's not very hard to avoid people so I'm not sure why I had issues with it the first time).

I'm not totally sure I understand what triggers you getting detected/Wanted. Immediately after a very early mission (the first one with Kieran) I looted a corpse and was instantly Wanted, even though I didn't see anyone remotely nearby. The instant I left the forest there were some police on me, who I murdered, but they were then followed within another 10-15 seconds by new police, this time with hunting dogs in tow. I just restarted from my save before the mission and this time did not loot anything after it ended. I'm guessing that I should just avoid looting corpses outside of missions?

It's remarkable how good looking this game is. I remember being impressed by it even on the PS4, but it's particularly amazing looking on PC.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PlushCow posted:

No I’ve noticed it too where if you hang out looting bodies after a mission the law shows up; I’m in a slow replay and the same thing happened with that Kiernan mission. Happened also after I rescued Shawn. Just loot some bodies quick and assume all the gunfire attracted the law

I think it might be something specific to post-mission looting, because I randomly hog-tied some dude (the button said "Call Out" so I pressed it and the guy started fleeing from me, which seemed like suspicious behavior, so he has only himself to blame) and stole his hat and didn't get in trouble.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Welp, it looks like I spoke too soon about the "not running into people with my horse" stuff.

It's amazing how quickly things can devolve into a clusterfuck in this. I was trying to journey to some city that is supposed to have a trapper in an attempt to offload my legendary bear pelt. On the way I encounter some lady stuck under her horse, but in order to bring her back to Valentine I had to remove the pelt. So I do so, bring her home, then ride back and get the pelt. Then I journey a long time to St. Denis, since I read there's a trapper there and couldn't find one on my map. When I'm almost there, I turn a corner and some guy smashes into me on his horse and dies. There are multiple witnesses. In a panic, I murder them, but because I'm close to a city new people keep showing up. I wish that people could survive you hitting them with your horse, or that your horse had some sort of animal survival instinct to not just run into other horses or people.

In the end I somehow survived after outrunning a bunch of police and then snuck back into the city to pay off my $100 bounty. Life is apparently cheap in The West, because I think murdered like 11 people, 5 of whom were law officers. I gave a blind man 50 cents afterwards, which should hopefully balance out the negative karma. That -$100 still hurts enough that I'm considering just reloading a save from before this happened, since in the end I gained nothing at all from my trip; I lost the pelt when I crashed into the guy, and it was the whole reason I made the trip in the first place.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

art of spoonbending posted:

If you're online trying to find collectibles or locations of hideouts or whatever, this map is the best thing ever https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

Awesome, I figured there'd probably be something like this but hadn't looked into it.

The debacle yesterday ended up crossing over into just being funny by the time the alligator attacked me. At that point I just started laughing and was like "you've got to be loving kidding me" (I didn't even see it coming, was just suddenly pulled deeper by something and got a prompt to shake off an alligator). At least the horse could swim and manage to survive falling into the swamp water; I guess I distracted the alligator.

I played Cyberpunk 2077 recently, and I feel like it would have benefited from the huge degree of "interactability" of the world in this. It's also a gorgeous game, but you can't really interact with most of its world.

edit: Is some of the stuff in that map specific to RDO (like these daily/weekly challenges)?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 12, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What exactly determines honor gains/losses when killing people outside of missions (and how hard generally is it to get high honor - can you still reasonably do some robberies*)? I ran into some O'driscolls blocking a bridge and, in an effort to avoid bad honor, tried to defuse the situation and waited until they got aggro to kill them. I think that I didn't lose any honor from this (I didn't see an icon in the upper right, at least). But would I have been safe shooting earlier? Is it okay to do so any time after attempting to Defuse, or do I need to wait until they actually pull out their guns (which is kind of risky and caused my horse to get shot some, though fortunately not seriously).

* specifically I'm wondering about doing something like robbing illegal establishments (this one guy I rescued from bounty hunters mentioned an illegal gambling place above the gunsmith in St. Denis). Is that still considered bad? And how reasonably possible is it to rob in a city like that? Are witnesses just not an issue if you cover your face during the crime (and remove it afterwards)?

sirbeefalot posted:

Speaking of outsized response, I ended up losing the white Arabian horse yesterday, all starting with a $5 bounty for shooting the racist dude giving out pamphlets in St. Denis. I could have sworn that you don't normally get a bounty for that, though I did shoot him 3 times and maybe that tipped the scales. Anyway the local cops just went apeshit and started shooting.

I wonder if it's safer to use a bow and arrow (or throwing knives), due to the lack of sound. Like if you hide somewhere where you can't be reasonably seen and shoot someone with an arrow, if this still causes everyone nearby to be witnesses.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

main story missions and stranger missions offer a ton of honor, and you literally get honor gains by saying howdy to people and throwing fish back. You can dip the honor slider all the way into the red and finish with high honor if you want. As long as you on the good side of it, you'll get the high honor Arthur dialogue.

so in short, you can do any of that stuff as you like if you mostly play high honor and are not murdering people constantly. just offering rides to strangers, rescuing folks you find being robbed, etc will keep you good.

Ah, that's good to know. I noticed that saying howdy occasionally gives honor. I always say Howdy, even if it means that I risk slamming my horse into someone because you have to be close to hit the Greet button (so far this hasn't resulted in an accident, but it absolutely will at some point - looking forward to when I say "Howdy partner" to some old man instants before crushing him under the hoofs of my steed).

edit; Btw how do you check your honor? All I see is this one icon under the Player info. Does having the cowboy hat icon always mean you have positive honor? It recently went from saying I have a 0% shop bonus to -10% costs. I think the icon is a grey cowboy hat guy.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

You can beat him to death with your fists and the cops will look the other way but if you use a weapon they react. Not sure why but it probably has to do with how they get mad about gunfire in towns generally.

To be fair, this seems like a pretty reasonable common sense thing; firing guns in a town/city is obviously going to make the cops freak out and random citizens assuming you're doing crimes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

skipmyseashells posted:

if you check the Arthur page in progression it shows you your honor level and current perks from it

I couldn't see a level; just the perk and an icon. From looking this up, apparently I'm level 2, though (from my perk).

According to what I read, there are no perks to negative honor beyond -1. That seems a little weird, though not a big deal for me since I have trouble being mean in video games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If I could ask for one change to the crime/wanted system, it'd be to give you the option of just surrendering and paying your bounty to lawmen (instead of having them instantly start shooting at you when you encounter them). It's weird that you can satisfy the law by paying your bounty, but only if you manage to stealth your way to a postman first.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I became wanted earlier for "disturbing the peace." As best I can tell, it's because I bumped into some people while walking around. No one even fell or anything!

I'm also doing this loan collection thing, and during this one a guy witnesses me and thinks I'm stealing. I chased him down and he pulled a gun on me after I threatened him (which as far as I could tell was my only non-violent option). So I killed him, but fortunately there were no other witnesses.

RatHat posted:

You can surrender, If it hasn’t escalated to the point where lawmen are shooting to kill. Just holster your gun, target a cop and you’ll have the option to surrender. You’ll stay in jail for a few days and your bounty will be cleared(you still pay for it but if you don’t have enough cash they’ll just take what you have)

Huh, they always just start shooting instantly for me. Maybe because I'm on a horse and they assume I'm running?

Jerusalem posted:

Sometimes I'd be racing somewhere and my horse would do something incredibly stupid and send us both barreling rear end-over-teakettle and faceplanting. It was so frustrating, every time it happened I'd have Arthur race right up to that horse and.... pet her gently, brush her mane, feed her an oatcake, pet her again, say,"Yer alright, gurrrl!" and then head back off on my way :kiddo:

I had this happen and my horse died :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Ahhh jeez man :smith:

There was basically a bad camera angle where I thought there was just a 1-2ft drop but instead it was like 5 feet. My horse actually didn't die immediately, but it was injured and I did not have horse reviver. I just stood there with both the "Revive" and "Kill" options greyed out (not sure why the latter was) and kept losing honor for some reason (I guess because I was letting it lay there injured, but it's not like I had much of a choice).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Heck yeah, I just unlocked fast travel. That'll save me a lot of time. If I'm understanding correctly, it can only be used from camp, but that still saves me half of the trip to various places.

I also got a free Springfield rifle from some guy that I sucked snake venom out of. I imagine that's a bit more lucrative if you somehow do it later when more things are unlocked, but the rifle was the most expensive thing I could find (I kitted it out with a scope and rifling upgrades as well, though I haven't exactly encountered many situations in this game where I can make use of a scope yet. I guess it could be useful if I try and hunt properly (instead of just shooting things on horseback while traveling). From what I'm reading, rifle can get perfect pelts from deer. I've currently just been using bow and arrow, but it'll be convenient if I can just use my scope on something from really far away without having to carefully sneak up.

Regarding controls, is there a way to "suppress" dead eye targeting? Sometimes I'll be trying to use it to shoot a bird or something, and it'll do multiple targets. Or do the same to people, when I only need one to the head.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I discovered that I can examine animals from pretty far away using the Springfield's scope. This is good, because it's pretty annoying trying to do it on horseback with the bow.

I also found a giant moose, but I wasn't able to fight it because that Mexican guy who keeps challenging me to shooting competitions was nearby. I owned him again. Shooting the bottles seems like it might be a little tough with controller, but I temporarily switched to mouse for it. The bird part is easy with dead eye (no idea how you'd do it without deadeye, though). I won $30, which I think is like $500,000 in 1899 money, so I can see why the Mexican guy was so upset.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Springfield rifle is probably one of the best things you can spend that bonus on tbh--by the time later stuff starts unlocking, you'll probably have more money via the main quest than you know what to do with, but early on you're pretty broke and the springfield is a good gun that will honestly carry you through the game if you can get used to the slow fire rate.

re: deadeye--you'll upgrade your deadeye ability as you progress the game, eventually it changes so that you tag your targets manually instead.

That's good to hear about deadeye.

Regarding the rate of fire, I have trouble figuring out when it makes sense to use different guns. The rifle seems good if I'm just behind cover and guys are far-ish away, but since head-shots appear to always be a kill regardless of gun it seems like revolver might be better up close. Not sure how pistols fit into this (though I don't have one yet). Same goes for shotguns, I guess; if they can one-shot guys with body shots I might want to consider using them instead of the revolver.

One other gun question - is there any reason (aside from tedium) to not convert most of your bullets to split-points? The description seems to imply that they're just objectively better than the default bullets. Also, are explosive bullets worthwhile? Or fire arrows (I've never done anything with fire in this, so I don't know if this is ever effective in combat).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PlushCow posted:

You can use the binoculars as well to examine animals.

I would always use split points over regular bullets, a good upgrade that doesnt take too long to make a lot, for the damage upgrade and less deadeye drain (if im remembering correctly). Eventually youll have enough money for the better bullets like Express.

And use whatever guns you like, and in the end a headshot is a headshot is a headshot no matter the gun, and the gun's stats will improve with usage. I used the cattlemen revolver for most of the game because I liked the action and at the end it was not far different stat wise from the schofield revolver, not enough to feel like I was handicapping myself.

Yeah, I actually already have enough money for the better bullets; it's only like $1.80 or something for 30 of them, which very easily pays for itself when each guy you kill drops like $3-4. I didn't realize stats improve as you use a gun. That's interesting.

Speaking of ammo, how useful is upgrading the camp's ammo/medicine/food stores? Is it just a matter of convenience, or is it cheaper overall than buying them yourself? I kind of have my doubts, since I'm pretty sure the ammo I got was worth considerably less than the $8 or $12 or whatever it cost to resupply it. Can you even get the better ammo types in the camp?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's annoying (though also sometimes funny) when you mistakenly do something to aggro an NPC. I met this guy asking for me to get herbs, and I gave him the herb he's asking for (which I already had). Then as I was leaving I mistakenly got on his horse instead of mine. I instantly got off after he said "hey that's my horse!" but he was already coming after me with a knife! I reloaded my save, but is it possible to permanently gently caress up quest chains by doing that?

I've had similar things happen where I mistakenly pull a gun on someone. Or the one time I was in a fist fight and pressed the "choke" button not realizing it basically meant "kill" and everyone reported me for murder.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does it not matter how you kill legendary animals? IIRC the bear you do first didn't have a quality and I just blasted it with a shotgun a bunch. Seems like killing animals would be easy if I'm allowed to just go hog wild on them.

I've only sorta-encountered one other legendary animal so far - the wolf. I entered an area where it said "it's too busy right now so the wolf isn't showing up." How do I make it show up? Use bait, or just wait for a different time? I haven't actually used bait outside of that bear mission, and it seemed scripted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I see what someone else was talking about with respect to guns becoming stronger as you use them; it looks like my Springfield rifle can actually max out its damage bar.

I also am starting to get an idea why money won't be an issue. I came across one nice treasure (in this train that fell off of a bridge) and two gold bars alone is more than enough to finish fully upgrading everything in the camp. Going to see what other upgrades I can buy; IIRC there were some upgrades related to gun ammo you could buy at the gunsmith.

My horse also seems quite good. I bought it from the early mission where you're introduced to buying horses (it's a Thoroughbred) and its stats are way better than anything I see in the wild.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arthur as a character has really been growing on me. He's a pretty interesting guy. There's this weird mix of competence/savvy and naivety. During the early loan collection question, I feel like his behavior/animations did a good job of selling that he was conflicted about it. He's annoyed at the people for not paying, but partially because he's in this situation that he's not comfortable with to begin with.

One unrelated question - do random encounters disappear if you don't engage with them, or can you encounter them again? I encountered some law officers with a prisoner who claimed they were innocent, and I just ignored them because I was worried fighting the officers would get me Wanted* and they were about to attack me if I stayed near them. Do certain types just randomly spawn endlessly? I feel like I've seen the "escaped convict asking you to shoot his chains" multiple times, but that may have been across multiple saves (since there have been a few times that I've loaded earlier saves after bad things happened).

* maybe it doesn't if you kill both of them and it's not near other people though?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Are you reading his journal? His journal gives a lot more insight into what he's actually thinking.

Ah, no! Thanks for mentioning this!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

most of those are truly random encounters. there is no limit to the times you will see lawmen escorting a prisoner or a bounty hunter taking in someone. there are also a bunch of other similar ones that may or not have a limit but you'll take multiple people back to town, save multiple people from cougars, etc.

For the lawmen escorting a prisoner, are the circumstances always the same? Like is the prisoner always actually guilty/innocent?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Read all the current journal, and it's really neat and revealing about Arthur's general mindset. Arthur is really good at sketching. The journal entry where Arthur mentions viewing both him and Hosea as father figures (but Hosea as being more of one in many ways) was also pretty interesting.

I got an app with an interactive rdr2 map ("RDR2 Map"), which is really handy since I'm playing on PC with a controller (so it's difficult to view and mark a map in a browser).

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that's for you to decide. you get honor for releasing them though

Huh, really? I assumed you'd lose honor for killing the bounty hunters (since you gain honor for being a bounty hunter yourself). I'm usually afraid to kill anyone (outside of missions) unless they directly attack me or are O'driscolls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you'll take an honor hit for killing them, then a boost for releasing the captive, and again, you can literally say howdy and gain honor so don't let that stop you from having fun with the game.

Yeah, I'm not that concerned about honor so much as getting Wanted, but even getting Wanted will likely stop mattering much as I get more money.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arthur's journal entry about the Mary sidequest is extremely cute. The A <3 M at the end!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Is there any reason aside from "earning small amounts of money" to continue beyond the 80c wager? I assumed it stops at that, once I got the same wager twice in a row.

OldMemes posted:

I'm on chapter four now and Arthur's journal is so good for being an optional thing. Deep down, Arthur is a very compassionate man, but that side of him has been worn down by Dutch. There's such a sense of longing for something more in the writing, it's very touching.

Yeah, I'm just at the beginning of Chapter 3, but it really adds a lot of characterization.

The Stranger quests with the photographer guy are interesting, because Arthur obviously cares about what the guy is doing and is moved when he gets the photo of the wolves at the end; it's one of the few times he's just directly wanted to help someone without reservations. It kinda feels like this is the sort of stuff Arthur would be doing if he weren't raised to be an outlaw; his journal is full of him doing sketches of wildlife and he seems to mostly just enjoy being in the wilderness and cares about preserving it (with Dutch's anti-civilization perspective just sort of roughly/partially overlapping with that).

Does the journal change if you're playing as low honor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I looked up a video of low honor stuff and can't stop laughing at this (which I guess is a camp scene that can trigger if you act like a psycho): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apPK_RKG9Yg&t=1127s

"I've been killing...a lot , I mean, innocent folk. I don't know why."
"Yeah, that's bad Arthur...that's real bad."

edit: lmao there are apparently more of these

"I've been bad...I've been smacking folk around who didn't even ask for it."
"I've been hurting women too...bad...I can't explain it."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 24, 2022