Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

(also never put a collar on your domesticated weasel, this is a public service announcement)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

protestants, you had a good run. now it's time to consecrate yourselves to the blessed virgin mary

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

I am willing to give you our church buildings if you bring your a cappella singers. this is the new ecumenicism

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
growing up church of christ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hCvEvMHHMU

converting to catholicism: everyone is confused about reading this thing called sheet music and the music director won't let me touch the allen organ

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CountFosco posted:

You just posted a visual depiction of the Father. That's anathema.

as a former Calvinist who was raised in churches where second commandment violations are taken seriously, I'd have to erase everything there except Our Lady, Queen of the Universe.

fully marianized and lovin it

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

if u love it so much why don't u mary it

I'm consecrating myself to Our Lady of Sorrows

which is Insanely Powerful. Protestants might have better music but they certainly don't have this.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

pidan posted:

So what does it mean when someone says they're consecrated to ... ? Is it something you do once, like taking refuge, or is it something one has to keep doing, like, uh, a novena? Do you say a daily rosary?

Also do you get cool magic powers

you're supposed to renew your act of consecration every year on the same Marian feast day you chose. St. Louis de Montfort recommended the Annunciation as the preferred feast day to do it.

anyway how it works is that you enter into a period of prayer and fasting 33 days before a Marian feast day and then consecrate yourself to Mary during the Mass held on that day. you're essentially pledging that you will become a slave of Mary and letting her lead you to Christ. also it's generally recommended you go full ven. matt talbot with it and wear a cilice or scapular afterwards. and most people, I assume, pray the rosary daily both before and after this.

doing it on the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows has its own special prayer and is very rarely done.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

post the prayer

quote:

Most Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, holy Queen of Martyrs and spotless Virgin, would that I could be in Heaven with thee; there to contemplate the honors rendered to thee by the Most Holy Trinity and by the whole Heavenly Court! But since I am still a pilgrim in this valley of tears, receive from me, thy unworthy servant and a poor sinner, the most sincere homage and the most perfect act of vassalage and devotion that a human creature can offer thee.

I consecrate myself to thy Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart, pierced with so many swords of sorrow, and place my poor soul therein forever. Receive me as a partaker in thy Sorrows, and never suffer that I should depart from that Cross on which thy only begotten Son expired for me and which He wishes to share with me. With thee, O Mary, I will endure all the sufferings, persecutions, adversities, failures, contradictions and infirmities, with which it will please thy Divine Son to visit me in this life.

All of them I offer to thee, in memory of the Sorrows which thou didst suffer during thy life, that every thought of my mind, every beating of my heart may henceforward be an act of compassion to thy Sorrows, and of delight for the glory thou now enjoyest in Heaven.

Since then, O Dear Mother, I now meditate thy Sorrows, and rejoice in seeing thee glorified, do thou also have compassion on me, and reconcile me to thy Son Jesus, that I may become thy true and loyal son (daughter); come on my last day and assist me in my last agony at the hour death, even as thou wert present at the Agony of thy Divine Son Jesus, that from this painful exile I may go to Heaven, there to be made partaker of thy glory. Amen.

last time this devotion was a thing was in *checks notes* ... rwanda.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Yeah, our bishop delivered the homily here, apologized for his fellow bishops and reiterated our diocesan abuse policies.

I'm lucky that he isn't 1. complicit in the cover-up or 2. immediately blaming THE GAYS because either of those would make CCD quite a bit harder!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

I've been meaning to post this icon I got for free a few months ago:

I've been curious about it since it seems to be an image of the Father.

I thought these were banned in Orthodoxy.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

pidan posted:

Thank you for explaining! Do you always pray the sorrowful rosary? Is that even a thing in English?

I follow the traditional rosary schedule (Sorrowful/Joyous/Glorious, etc.) and then also pray the Servite Rosary every day, which is what I think you're talking about. Sometimes called the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows or the Seven Swords Rosary.

It's not...really that popular of a devotion in the US. I think it's more popular in Africa and in continental Europe.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 19, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

twerking on the railroad posted:

I think it's right both that the church deserves a lot of scorn for how they've dealt with this, and that there's been something very different with the Catholic Church. As regards this case though, the different thing seems to be exactly the filing cabinets full of records, that just turned out to be incriminating when someone actually read them.

When the scandal machine finally makes it to the kind of Southern Baptists who think all sins are equally bad, it'll get ugly.

well let's turn to the baptists and see what they're saying about paige patterson

quote:

We thought this was a Roman Catholic problem. The unbiblical requirement of priestly celibacy and the organized conspiracy of silence within the hierarchy helped to explain the cesspool of child sex abuse that has robbed the Roman Catholic Church of so much of its moral authority. When people said that Evangelicals had a similar crisis coming, it didn’t seem plausible — even to me. I have been president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twenty-five years. I did not see this coming.

I was wrong. The judgment of God has come.

Judgment has now come to the house of the Southern Baptist Convention. The terrible swift sword of public humiliation has come with a vengeance. There can be no doubt that this story is not over.

We cannot blame a requirement of priestly celibacy. We cannot even point to an organized conspiracy of silence within the denominational hierarchy. No, our humiliation comes as a result of an unorganized conspiracy of silence. Sadly, the unorganized nature of our problem may make recovery and correction even more difficult and the silence even more dangerous.

uh oh

e: also, evangelicals for whatever reason like to perform their sexual violence against women instead of children which makes them much harder to compartmentalize. mark "the best way for a woman to win her husband to Christ is on her knees am I right fellas" driscoll burned his entire denomination to the ground because of his behavior but nobody talks about it for some reason.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 20, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i went to an orthodox service today and a goon handed me some bread, am i orthodox now? i ate the bread

e: also i am very disappointed because my dad said orthodox services were hours and hours long and this was clearly like 90 minutes tops

you aren't orthodox until you have very strong opinions about icons one way or the other

also try out an ethiopian orthodox service if you want something longer

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

No, that's the antidoron, everybody gets that, Orthodox or not. You're not Orthodox until the priest swabs your hands with oil.

your hands? you mean the orthodox don't rub oil all over your face? weak.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
It's interesting that nobody really seems to be calling for the Vatican itself to be investigated, because it looks to me like they were refusing to laicize priests accused of abuse.

Maybe people realize that every member of the laity who comes within 50 miles of the Vatican Bank ends up sleeping with the fishes, though.

e: well here we go:
https://twitter.com/frrocketdan/status/1031554573947887624

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 20, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CountFosco posted:

Still, the Orthodox church should have done more to instill in the citizens of the city that the way of Christ is the way of peace. That some seminarians were involved in the rioting speaks to this failing, and is certainly a greater shame of Orthodoxy than someone painting an icon in a theologically false manner. That said, the Orthodox church today fully refutes antisemitism, and condemns it where it finds it. It excommunicated Matthew Heimbach, and Father Nathaniel Kapner has no official ties to the Orthodox church. Rocor released a statement to clarify that, called on him to cease his antisemitic conspiracy theories, and furthermore they involuntarily retired, censured and stripped of episcopal duties and rights the single Bishop who had in the past supported him. I celebrate all of these actions against antisemitism. It'd be nice if the hierarchy paid a little bit more attention to following the rules of iconography, in my opinion, but of course this is less important than persevering in our condemnation of ethnic hatred, just as improper artwork is less morally wrong than a pogrom.

well...

I understand why nothing is being done about him (because EP Bartholomew messed up) but it's not a good look.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Choosing Ephesians 5:22-33 as one of the two scripture readings during your wedding ceremony is definitely a statement in 2018.

What was the other? Gen 3:16?

e: although my guess would be love is patient love is kind this verse gets read at weddings all the loving time.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 21, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I've heard that scripture reading at Evangelical, Anglican, and even a Catholic wedding once. It's been a feature of every Christian wedding I've been to.

Catholics are given a selection of readings to choose between in the new rite, one of which is a shorter form of the Ephesians reading that very explicitly avoids the trouble verses.

Although the long form is considered the most traditional option.

e: Eph. 5:21-33 vs Eph. 5:25-32

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the word translated as "submit" has a different connotation in Greek. It doesn't mean meekly give in to whatever the other wants, it means to voluntarily put the needs of the other first.

Eph. 5:33 remains a weird one, though.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

an overdue owl posted:

Hi thread,

I was wondering if it was possible to tell if this came from any denomination in particular or if there's a name for this style of crucifix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RUg-NkjY4

Anyway, it doesn't really add up. The corpus used is Christ the King or Christ the High Priest, which was insanely popular throughout continental Europe from about the late 10th cen. to the Reformation. The trifleur cross was also very popular throughout the Gothic period.

But IHS XPS is found on very few crucifixes during that period, since everyone in the west switched to INRI. IHS XPS is found on some older crucifixes but they're mostly Anglo-Saxon and old (older than when Christ the King became popular to put on a crucifix in the west.)

And also those little clover stamps kinda look like four-way medals. Which are old but nobody was placing them on crucifixes AFAIK. It's either the greatest art find in the history of the Catholic world or someone's weird high school art project.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Also this went unnoticed by the thread but the term Mormon is out

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
this has been the weirdest subplot to the whole clerical sex abuse scandal warning lifesitenews link

I've been talking for a long time about how the USCCB should divest themselves from finances and politics and now suddenly the ultraconservative weirdos are ready to guillotine them all.

well it's 2018 after all

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

anyway, sometimes (like now) i feel a deep yearning to think about religious subjects and pray more than i usually do, but i heard that there's a danger you can fall into prelest if you don't do this in communication with other orthodox believers and your church, to check things against them.

that's just the patriarchs trying to hoard all the hesychasm for themselves (I feel like I've made this joke before)

At least the Orthodox have this though. Vatican II actually relaxed the requirements for being able to freely talk about private revelation without ecclesiastical approval and now there's a whole publishing industry of Charismatic Catholic weirdness, usually centering around Medjugorje.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

I never knew any Charismatic Catholics, but when i was in high school the parents of my two best friends were deeply devout and edging into weird territory. in retrospect I wonder if they might have been involved in that?

Probably, they'd be in the age group for it. We have a pretty vibrant Charismatic presence in our diocese compared to some others in the US but it's basically white baby boomers (mostly female) and immigrants who were used to that style of worship in their home countries.

I've always found the history of Pentecostalism pretty interesting in general. How'd Azusa Street, which absolutely scandalized everyone in Los Angeles since blacks and whites were worshiping together and women were preaching, almost immediately spawn a denomination that banned miscegenation and wouldn't allow women to wear pants?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

confirmation is a fake sacrament that only exists because at some point seven sacraments was important

change my mind

it was separated from baptism in the west in the 4th century when a bunch of pagans were being baptized into the church all at once and the bishops had to go around and make sure (hence, confirm) the pagans weren't breastfeeding wolves at church or whatever they do for fun

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

i’m gonna say trust but verify, since people have been trying to ratfuck francis for years. if the nuncio’s background makes ratfucking unlikely then it’s probably time for a new pope

lol there's no way to verify it because it's a private conversation the two of them had

and vigano clearly has a major agenda of rooting out the communist homosexuals like fr. martin whom he mentioned for no reason

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

zonohedron posted:

And then, if it's not, we're back to the every-accusation-must-be-treated-as-credible problem: nobody's going to be satisfied no matter how this gets resolved.

people are going to read into this however they want depending on how they currently feel about pope francis

the reactionaries finally got him. oh well. going to enjoy pope pius xiii

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 27, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

Seriously though, would any of your churches accept if a member, even a senior one, of the church council proposed that the church priest submit a blueprint of all their planned services for council approval? That kind of veto power seems both bureaucratic and dumb.

that's how it works in a lot of elder-led churches where the pastor serves at the pleasure of the board of elders

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

man who got fired for trying to ratfuck the pope releases 11 pages of unsubstantiated claims that just so happen to make francis look like poo poo; as much as i hear those accusations and go "yeah maybe" the fact is, if it looks like a ratfucking, sounds like ratfucking, and fucks like a ratfucking, it's probably a ratfucking

vigano, who himself ordered documents destroyed in order to cover up a clerical sex abuse scandal in MN, mysteriously grows a conscience at the exact same time pope francis attends the world meeting of families in ireland where fr. martin spoke about how the church needs to faithfully welcome LGBT catholics. hmm.

and nobody can figure out exactly what sanctions were placed on mccarrick since he was traveling and celebrating mass at the vatican during the supposed time period, but oh well

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
There's a whole book about people hating Paul.

Paul as a Problem in History and Culture: The Apostle and His Critics Through the Centuries. It's good.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
what the gently caress is with psychologists and being neck deep in dunning-kruger

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Gänswein: Benedict did not 'confirm' Vigano testimony

quote:

Vatican City, Aug 28, 2018 / 05:10 pm (CNA).- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI’s personal secretary said Tuesday that the former pope has not commented on a testimony released Saturday by a former Vatican ambassador, and that he has no plans to do so.

Archbishop Georg Gänswein told German newspaper Die Tagepost Aug. 28 that accounts Benedict had “confirmed” Vigano’s testimony were “fake news.”

lol.

despite how amazingly incompetent this hit job is, it performed its purpose in emboldening the reactionaries. who are now Extremely Concerned about the victims of abuse...whom they are currently using as a cudgel against a pope they never liked in the first place

e: there have been two major advocacy groups so far that have made statements to the effect of "this is dumb, why are you old men fighting, let's get back to talking about investigating abuse 'cause we were getting somewhere with that finally"

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 29, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
the lord's believers did nothing wrong

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Deidre did some dark poo poo to get there but the Transcendence ending is the only happy ending to AC

also Miriam's final quote heavily implies that she commits suicide and urges her followers to do the same once she no longer believes her war against scientific progress is winnable

SMAC had some deep themes which would have been better in literally any other medium because I don't think a lot of people realized just how dark that game was.

The weird Objectivist/Dark Enlightenment/Transhumanist thing is honestly the most evil modern ideology that exists, and a lot of techbros just eat that poo poo up. It's like you shove the tedious John Galt speech right into Shadowrun and think "yeah this is ethical."

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

calvinism is the most evil ideology imo

techbros subscribe to calvinism except it's an IQ test instead of a seemingly-capricious God

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

iq has to do with things you do and accomplish. damning someone before you create them with nothing to do with the morality of their future deeds is the worst thing it is possible to imagine a deity doing

okay so what happens when peter thiel starts up his breeding program so he can eat people's stem cells

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
RIP online catholic discourse, you were pretty lovely and then abp. vigano made an 11 page statement and now you're unbearable

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

is it virtue signaling if roy moore supporters and people who say terrib poo poo to sex abuse survivors latch onto the vagina letter and call francis a sex predator protector

you'd think going from "#metoo is fake, those women just want attention, and also maybe they wanted it" to "actually, the completely unsubstantiated and sometimes demonstrably wrong allegations against the holy father are very correct" would have given them such extreme whiplash it should have broken their necks

but alas, they're still posting

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

p sure lots of the cishets are literal degenerates and obsessed with untoward poo poo

everyone is, welcome to teaching CCD in 2018

this is why the talmud had the right idea saying that the best idea was to get married real real early before everyone started getting weird ideas about sex and that was in the middle of the loving desert before they had pornhub so drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

i have bad news about the kinds of people who get married young in this country

they're...muslims? I don't think anyone else goes below 18.