Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is very tangential, but I'm at my cousin's wedding (she's the bride) and hoooooly poo poo her husband went over the top with the proposal.

So, they're Minnesotans, and almost everyone in MN has or shares a lake cabin, it's just a thing. Even if you're working class and of modest means, you and another family or two share a lake cabin somewhere out in the boonies and spend weekends in the summer and vacations there.

A couple summers ago he takes her to his family's lake cabin and out on the boat for a picnic. He's super into social media so he's streaming the whole thing (with her consent, he does this a lot). While they're eating, a drone comes buzzing in and lands on the boat. This guy and his friends are really into pranks and elaborate surprises, the drone belongs to his friend and he pretends it's a surprise. Oh what's this, the drone has a note attached that says "want to go on a scavenger hunt?" with some lat/long coordinates. She says okay sure I'll play along I wonder what goofy prank this could be. Her now-husband has his own drone on the boat (these are upper-middle class kids so they have a lot of fancy toys), she takes the remote and pilots the drone to the location on the note his friend air-dropped in.

While she's operating the remote controlled drone, he slips the ring into his pocket. When she gets the drone to the location... he and his friends had spent several hours a day for an entire week driving railroad stakes into wooden planks to spell out "WILL YOU MARRY ME CARRIE" on the bottom of the lake. When she sees that he breaks out the ring and proposes. They played the video at the wedding reception.

I was like, holy crap, that's the most elaborate and clever proposal I've ever heard. And of course he later went and cleaned up all the planks and stakes from the bottom of the lake and built their wedding arch, altar thingy, bed frame/headboard, and a bunch of other pieces from the wood and stakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
if u love it so much why don't u mary it

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I cannot even deal with the level of aggressive American Evangelicalism at my cousin's wedding right now.

Choosing Ephesians 5:22-33 as one of the two scripture readings during your wedding ceremony is definitely a statement in 2018.

(This is the fairly infamous verse about how wives should submit to their husbands)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

What was the other? Gen 3:16?

e: although my guess would be love is patient love is kind this verse gets read at weddings all the loving time.

No, I'll have to check the schedule pamphlet when I get home, it's a longass 8-hour drive. That just stuck in my craw since it was the first of two scriptures read at the ceremony and I was loving pissed.

The groom also comes from the flavor of American Evangelicalism where everything must be aggressively about your awesome love for Jesus and how all your friendships and personal relationships are based on your mutual love for Jesus Christ. Hey this is my best friend, he's my groomsman, we bonded over our mutual love for Jesus. He really loves Jesus! That's why we're such great friends!

Like, the groom's mother gave a toast at the reception and spoke along the lines of "your duty is not to make your wife happy, it is to be Christ-like in all you do, and that will make her happy."

I was simmering mad all night long because the focus of the whole affair was on the groom and relationship with Christ. Oh, the bride? Yeah I guess she'll be happy, she should make babies ASAP that will make everyone super happy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

Huh. Well. Speaking of Orthodox weddings, that passage from Ephesians happens to be one of the readings at the marriage service.

Though there it starts two verses earlier: "Brethren, give thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ."

(The other reading is the Wedding at Cana.)

I guess from my perspective there is a difference between ancient tradition and a deliberate choice.

When you have a wedding ceremony in 2018 and specifically choose those verses from Ephesians, you're making a clear political point about how you perceive marriage.

You already had to go and pick terrible tunes to be played on piano and guitar, could you maybe not treat women like property and

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

an overdue owl posted:

Hi thread,

I was wondering if it was possible to tell if this came from any denomination in particular or if there's a name for this style of crucifix?

I'm just spitballing but that looks very old, almost certainly pre-Reformation. So it's at least Catholic, and might well be pre-Schism.

It looks like there are little four-leaf clovers. Perhaps it's Irish or from another Celtic Christian tradition?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'd appreciate prayers for a grant proposal I'm helping submit soon and for my students this fall semester (starts next Monday). We're fortunate to have a very large incoming class of new freshmen and are trying a new retention program this year, so hopefully the college will be growing.

I will provide pictures involving animal husbandry and/or gardening as an offering of gratitude!

edit: for what it's worth the grant proposal is for expansion of and student research on the college's bison herd - animal health, restoration of native prairie, cultural and spiritual aspects of bison.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 24, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The liturgical/D&D crossover is always amazing

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
tag urself

I'm a Chaotic Good wizard

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
post ur huge early 20th century family

ca. 1925, between the World Wars and before the worst of the Dust Bowl. From left to right: Coral (mom), Cora (bareass baby), Bill, Paul, Dorothy, JoAnn (my grandma), Pickles (dog), Lewis, Ralph (dapper gentleman in tie)

this is the Koschitzke family, which HEY GUNS tells me is an extremely East German name. they changed their name to "Kositzky" at Ellis Island because their name literally sounded like poo poo. they emphatically maintained that they were NOT POLISH.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

on one side of my family, both of those grandparents were one of 9 kids. i had a lot of great aunts and uncles when i was little

Yeah I dunno how much it was a nation-wide thing at the time, but definitely in agricultural/farming families everyone had a bajillion kids. Basically everyone in my grandparents' generation (born between the wars, roughly 1910-1930) had ~10+ kids in their family. Then that dropped off dramatically post-WW2 where 3-4 or less was much more typical.

basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

yes im trolling you thread Catholics, fite me!!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 27, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Speaking of family, I could use some prayers.

My dad is 87 and was diagnosed with pneumonia at the end of July. He got a chest x-ray for it, and they discovered he also had a massive tumor in his lung, which had metastasized to his liver, lymph nodes, and most internal organs already.

The pneumonia won't clear because the tumor is providing all sorts of protected areas to shield the pneumococcus bacteria and keep it safe. After 3 rounds of oral antibiotics, he spent a week at home where he could neither eat nor drink, and slowly degenerated and finally got to the hospital yesterday. He's now on fluids to fight dehydration, three or four rounds of IV antibiotics, and now can barely get out of the bed to go 10 feet to the bathroom with a walker and help from the PT. This man was vigorously working in his garden, pulling weeds and raising fences to fend off deer three weeks ago - and he hasn't even started on cancer treatments yet. We get to start on that once the pneumonia finally clears (if ever).

He's got an awfully long, steep road to climb if he's going to make it and I don't see how he will. I hope as ever for the miraculous healing hand of God, that he may survive this, but then he's 87 years old with cardiac problems - how much longer would he be expected to survive even without all this? We all must go eventually, but life is so precious, we want every instant of it here that we can get.

Anyway, this is a powerful group and I respect your faiths immensely. Please put John Moyer in Midland Michigan on your lists for a while. He's going to need all the help he can get. I'll post with news on his condition periodically.

I love all of you and thank you for the gift of yourselves and these threads.

Of course I will keep your dad in my prayers!

My close colleague just went through a similar situation with her mother. I don't mean to be negative or pessimistic, but you should consider how you can best comfort your dad. It sounds like a pretty terminal situation. I will pray for you and yours, but as a pragmatist I might suggest you prepare for hospice and palliiative care, and to invite as many visitors to see your dad while he is still lucid.

Unfortunately, people of his age tend to go downhill very rapidly health-wise. While I pray for his recovery, I would also suggest getting as many friends and family to visit him as possible. It's likely your time with him is limited, and you want to make his remaining days as comfortable, joyous, and filled with friends and family as possible.

Again, I hope I don't come across as morose or dismissing of your father's outlook. But, I think it's important that you seek to give your dad as much loving attention and visits from family as possible. I will be praying for John and your family, and I would strongly suggest that you make every minute count and bring in every friend and family member to comfort him.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 27, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CountFosco posted:

How old is the man? How old is the boy? That story has me uneasy for reasons entirely unrelated to the whole sodomy thing. And it's a pretty questionable attitude to take in general. The idea that if God isn't striking someone down through divine wrath, then it's all good... I'm not so sure about that. Am I supposed to just give Joel Osteen, for example, a free pass because he isn't being burned by divine fire for his obvious heresy?

I guess I read that more along the lines of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." He's saying he's not going to accuse/blame them, if God wanted to smite them, He could, He's the judge, not us.

Also I dunno about using "sodomy" here. Sodomy can have different meanings and it's not clear from the text what actually happened between the brother and the boy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

I think CountFOsco was asking if it was rape or abuse or not. In my headcanon this is two consenting adults, but this was written down probably centuries after it happened by the kind of people who collect the sayings of saints so this little scrap is all we got.

Yeah and CountFosco has a fair point there, it's not clear what the ages or ability to consent are. The boy is a "demoniac" who came to be healed, is he able to consent in his condition? How old is the boy? We have an old man, monastic brothers, and a boy.

If it's rape or abuse that paints a pretty ugly picture of things we're not supposed to accuse or blame people for. I choose to not read too much into it and take it more or less at face value, John the Persian is not going to accuse them of "sinning" (homosexual acts of some kind) because if God wanted, He could smite them and it's not our place to judge.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: John McCain and politics and stuff, I think it's just fine to discuss politicians and political stuff in this thread within reason. Religion is always going to be inextricable from politics. Though obviously we want to avoid getting too heated in here and there are other subforums devoted entirely to politics.

Senju has a valid point in that we shouldn't whitewash or be silent on someone's bad actions just because they're dead. I don't think this thread is trying to do that. John McCain did some bad stuff both personally and politically and he should be remembered for both the good and bad rather than just glowing obituaries of how he was a war hero and such.

But, why is McCain in the news? Because he died. If the headlines were about him proposing legislation that was Christianity-relevant, then sure, let's talk about that. Instead, we're discussing him because he died, and it seems in poor taste and not very germane to this thread.

I don't have any issue with speaking ill of the dead, what it feels like in this case is celebrating McCain's death which is rather gauche for the Christianity thread.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Christianity 101 reading lists:

Barest minimum: one of Matthew or Mark, then Acts. Matthew is probably the most "well-rounded" Gospel and combined with Acts gets you the basics of Christianity and the early church.

Slightly more: Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts, Romans. This gets you a more comprehensive reading of the Gospels as well as a dose of early church / Pauline theology in Romans.

Better yet: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Job.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
A fun thing I just learned:

In traditional Lakota culture, a woman could divorce her husband at any time and for any reason. This was most commonly done by the wife dumping the husband's belongings outside their tipi to show he ain't welcome in the house any more.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

eh, I know of Calvinists that have arranged marriages but ehh a ten year age gap is when dads draw the line, much less a 50 year one, which is when the suitor gets a shotgun pointed in his face.

Remember how Alabama voters were pretty okay with Roy Moore cruising for 14 year olds in a mall

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm out. I've deleted all my social media accounts, and this will be the last one.

The Seven Sorrows do not gently caress around. I cried the first time I attended Mass seeing Christ up on the cross, which I guess would be an embarrassing thing to happen to an ex-Calvinist. That went away after a few Sunday Masses. And then I started up with the Servite Rosary two years later and the tears immediately came back when I attended Mass. I'm a weird data scientist STEMlord, I have no idea what's going on with that.

Just be good. Don't let other people get to you. Take the locus of control and put it inside yourself whenever you hear something that aggrieves you and then partake in the healing sacraments of your church. It takes a lot of effort for a person to be both their statue and their sculptor, but we have a little trick in the fact that grace abounds.

Bye.

Dunno if you'll read this, but be well, internet friendo. I've enjoyed reading about your conversion and it sounds like you've found an intense and deep faith experience in Catholicism, which is great to hear!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Paladinus posted:

That's just the whore of Babylon, though.

ahem,

excuse me I believe you'll find that the Whore of Babylon is THE POPE IN ROME

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

lol he is very concerned about his family members not being 100% strictly pro-life and anti-LGBT rights and some of them voted for pro-choice politicians

and then,

quote:

Also not to mention there is a sister who supports Bernie ( but to her credit is more pro life in terms of actions, having personally convinced friends not to abort or contracept or stay chaste to marriage. I can’t say I’ve done much for the pro life cause).

She's done more for the pro-life cause than me, but she supports Bernie.

Seems like that poster is far more concerned about everyone in his family loudly proclaiming their pro-lifeness and only voting for pro-life politicians than actually taking any actions to advocate for his beliefs.

"I'm worried I married into a family that doesn't virtue signal enough."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Relax, it's not a magic spell and God doesn't fuss a slightly different word choice.

Spacewolf posted:

Cythereal: That was perhaps the most offensive way you could have described this.

My dude, I would encourage you to couch your language a bit more diplomatically and to reflect that it's your own personal belief rather than making a broad declarative statement. I feel like an rear end in a top hat playing :siren:tone police:siren: but I'm gonna anyway.

In a broad sense I agree with you. But, comparing liturgy to a magical incantation is rather flippant and unnecessarily reductive.

edit: HEY GAL if you're still job searching I would encourage you to look at tribal colleges, I can give you some leads and contacts. TCUs are a good place to start a teaching career and iirc you have some background understanding of Southwestern US tribal issues. The pay is terrible but it's a good start, and your background in the Dine/Navajo area combined with your academic pedigree gives you a good chance of landing a job with them.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 10, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh hey i guess now i'm posting from this direction but there are actually a lot of very fine and noble things within the american evangelical movement. same with catholicism in america

i think this idea that some evangelicals and catholics have that "oh their bad parts corrupted us" is a too-easy cop-out. it's really toxic because it allows the speaker to push blame for the awful Culture Warrior crap that has been going on for 3-4 decades onto a convenient Other while still engaging in it themselves. imo if one is going to make some tribal argument, the first thing one needs to be very sure about is that one can absolutely for certain say that my tribe is fine and the reason they are fine is because i have been vigilant. and this is really quite clearly not the case on either side of this tribal squabble

and the unfortunate truth is that ya'll hosed up. bad. gay kids and pregnant women killed themselves because they knew their culture-warrior evangelical or catholic families would have never accepted them. that is one of the more extreme examples, yes. but it's true. and many of the less-extreme examples aren't so good either

I wrote a more angry and lengthy reply but it wasn't productive, suffice to say I largely agree with you.

Also as of today I'm officially a member of the Episcopalian/Anglican faith community, consummated by my eating baked goods in the stuffy church basement while they held a rummage sale.

I feel like peak American Anglicanism is eating banana bread while chatting with grannies. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I had dinner with my new priest, she's an extremely awesome tatted biker lady who I think might be gay? She organizes a ton of community outreach and assistance programs on the reservation so I'll hopefully get more involved in that.

Most Episcopal churches tend toward old and WASPy but owing to the demographics here we actually have a ton of kids and younger people, which is really nice.

The church building itself was built in the 1880s (before South Dakota was a state) and is made of sandstone, it's pretty simple and austere. I'll take some pictures next Sunday.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

WerrWaaa posted:

What parish? I'll be in South Dakota at the end of the week

Oh word? What part and for what purpose if I might ask?

I'll PM you, rather not doxx myself more than I already have.

edit: though I'll probably not be around much next weekend, my brother is returning from deployment and I'm helping him move stuff out of storage.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 11, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Also, WerrWaa, if you have pollen allergies I would start taking a nasal corticosteroid (something like Flonase) ASAP as they take a few days to build up effectiveness. It's peak allergy season here.

And if you want recommendations on things to see and stuff to do I'm happy to give some suggestions, though I dunno how much free time you'll have?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Who is the patron saint of work disputes / dealing with corrupt authority / exploitative bosses

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pidan posted:

The boar eats the mushrooms and hence becomes radioactive, which just again goes to show how this world is full of wondrous things.

Incidentally I recently found a podcast called "medieval death trip" which features curious stories from medieval (British) chronicles, which might be interesting to some of you. I have only listened to a few episodes, so I can't vouch for its overall quality. But it seems well made.

:science:

Biomagnification: many toxic things work their way up the food chain, especially toxins that are fat-soluble. Therefore, apex predators (such as tuna, more in a bit) are especially vulnerable to biomagnification as they retain the fat-soluble toxic stuff they consume.

We live in a mostly water-soluble environment, and our bodies are mostly water. Water-soluble toxins? Well, you just piss them out, assuming your liver and kidneys are working normally. Have an (alcoholic) drink? You're drinking toxins but you'll piss it out, whatevs.

Fat-soluble toxins? That's trouble, because human bodies don't have a good way of eliminating them. That's why you're cautioned to not eat too much tuna--mercury is a fat-soluble toxin, tuna are apex predators, so they concentrate a ton of mercury in their flesh. I mean, you can eat a tuna sammich every day and just barely scrape the advised consumption limit. There is a huge difference between "we can detect this and it's bad" and "impacting your health."

I actually have no idea why mushrooms would be particularly affected by Chernobyl radiation. But 'shrooms in general are to be avoided unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

edit: apparently 137Ce (Cesium 137) is highly absorbed by fungi and thereby wild pigs.

The paranoia is understandable, don't eat wild mushrooms or wild pigs in Chernobyl-affected areas.

Even then, it's not gonna kill you. It's important to distinguish between group and individual outcomes.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 15, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Purely anecdotal, but I suspect there's a pipeline from Catholic Charismatic -> American Evangelical Charismatic, especially in Hispanic communities in the US.

Also, Korean-American Christians are extremely pious, to the extent that most churches in Los Angeles advertise services in Korean and Spanish with English a sad third.

edit: while I was living in LA, probably the only group I came in contact with who was similarly pious were Armenians. Korean and Armenian Christians are for real, folks.

There are Spanish-language Evangelical Charismatic churches everywhere in LA. I used to walk miles between bus stops and passing some storefront with "Iglesia Pentecostal de la Luz de Cristos" or similar signage was pretty common.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 16, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Please pray for my student "B," who attempted suicide this weekend. He's a bright young man and is now getting help, so I hope he'll be back to school in the future.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

well, he's also bipolar / manic depressive

I'm hardly blaming him for it, the tragic reality is that suicide rates are extremely high among Native American youth. I had another student drop out last spring because his 17yo sister took her own life.

Like I told him, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you back next semester! :unsmith:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Good news, the student I mentioned was released from treatment and will be back to school after a few days' rest!

Thanks for the prayers folks :)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

this owns extremely hard

I'm going to give #6 as a joke exam question to my chemistry class.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

until a couple months ago I don't think I had ever heard of the idea that Jesus went down to Hell and kicked demon rear end. i don't think my dad ever mentioned it, which surprises me because of how goony he is

Yeah I think penal substiutionary theology is so pervasive and emphasized in Protestantism that the Harrowing of Hell is barely mentioned. Honestly I hadn't had much exposure to it until speaking with HEY GUNS.

Personally I think the Jesus who stormed into the temple swinging an improvised whip and turning over the tables of the money-changers, then descended into Hell to gently caress up demons is incredibly badass.

The Protestant (and especially Evangelical) emphasis on the relatively passive martyrdom of Christ does a disservice to His more assertive acts.

WerrWaaa posted:

Re: Necessity of the cross.

From Luke 5--

One day, while he was teaching, Pharisees and teachers of the law were sitting near by (they had come from every village of Galilee and Judea and from Jerusalem); and the power of the Lord was with him to heal. Just then some men came, carrying a paralyzed man on a bed. They were trying to bring him in and lay him before Jesus; but finding no way to bring him in because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and let him down with his bed through the tiles into the middle of the crowd in front of Jesus. When he saw their faith, he said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven you."

God can, and does, forgive sins whenever God wishes. Well before there was a crucified messiah. Ergo, the cross isn't necessary. BUT God so loves humanity, and desires communion with Creation, that God was always going to be incarnate among us. And humans are so lovely, that given the presence of a holy and loving God in their midst, humanity will always try to kill that God. The incarnation and the cross weren't necessary-- but they were inevitable.

Is there a name for a heresy or school of thought where I don't necessarily believe in Original Sin but do believe humans are inevitably disposed toward sinfulness. I think that might align more with Orthodox views? That is, I'm inclined to believe that we are born in a sinless and pure state, but by our nature we will sin and stray from God.

edit: it's cool that Anglicanism (and ELCA Lutheranism to a somewhat lesser extent) is tolerant of a diversity of theological beliefs. Because I doubt I fit well into anything.

I mean, I'd be willing to consider Orthodoxy if it was more LGBTQ-friendly but that's kind of a non-starter :smith: Plus it's nonexistent where I live, having a faith community is incredibly important.

I realize HEY GUNS identifies as somewhere on the LGBTQ spectrum, but I don't get the strong commitment from the Orthodox community that I would be comfortable with, personally.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 2, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it sounds like you pretty much believe in original sin tho

...no

As I understand it, Original Sin in most contexts refers to the idea that we are all born bearing the sins of Adam. We're sinners at birth.

I am more inclined to believe that we are born sinless and pure, because God created us in His image. However, we are human and inevitably will sin. So, we are born without sin but we're human and are destined to live a sinful life which corrupts our innately sinless origin.

It's a fine distinction, but I believe we all start out pure and are doomed to slide toward sinfulness, rather than we're born sinful and that is our fundamental nature.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah i meant that you basically believe in 99% of the accepted version, just one part you have a problem with

nuance matters

Deteriorata posted:

Adam wasn't a real person, so he didn't commit any sins for us to inherit.

The story of the Fall is an attempt by ancient people to explain the observation that everyone seems to be born with an inherent tendency to sin.

Exactly why we all inherently want to sin is up for debate. I would argue that a baby born on an island and raised by wolves would still be sinful, because he is human and sinfulness goes with being human. Sin is not something you catch from the environment.

Okay, but my understanding of Original Sin is that it's hereditary: you are born carrying the sins of Adam. Humans are not merely inclined toward sinful behavior, we are born in a state of sin.

I agree that humans are fundamentally and inexorably inclined to sin. We're sinners, we're gonna do sin. But, I take issue that with the idea that we are born bearing congenital sin. Are we born sinful or is sin merely our inevitable path as humans? I'm inclined to believe the latter.

edit: I guess to rephrase this, are we born in a state of sin (separation from God*) or are we born with a propensity to sinful behavior?

*That's the most satisfying definition of sin I've encountered: that which separates us from God and righteousness.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 2, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
golden delicious and red delicious are garbage

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

So what you're saying is, even Moses understood that Minnesota is great? I'm on board.

(Honeycrisp apples were developed at the University of Minnesota's apple breeding program)

ahem you really ought not to be calling Minnesota "great" even if it is, that's poor form

it's alright, not too bad, ya'know?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I was recently reminded of the one joke I heard probably 20 times from my theology teachers in college. I suspect all theology majors in English speaking countries have heard it.

"Why were the priests in Jesus' time sad? Because they were sadducee!"

you're an honorary Lutheran for that dad joke

modern Lutheranism is a faith based in equal parts on liturgical shitposting and dad jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The others seem to go out of their way to give everyone a break - they're fair, I see.

Do you need an ark?

I Noah guy.