Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

What is up hobo hooch thread.
Thanks to this thread I finally broke down and ordered some yeast off Amazon.

In a couple of days im going to give my first batch a go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So is yeast nutrient really necessary if I'm making a gallon batch with a full pack of yeast for 5?
Will the dead yeast be enough nutrients for it to take off just fine or is it worth it to add the extra supplement?
Using the least amount of everything seems keeping with the hobo vibe

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Is there any good input or information anywhere about the correct frozen concentrate ratio to use?

I've seen someone use 4 in a gallon and another use 1 then just add sugar?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Well i racked my first batch and then had to throw it out.
It started to give off an incredibly vinegary smell as well as taste.
Slightly disheartened but im going to try again.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Seems like wild yeasts got in there and out-competed your good yeasts. Make sure all of your equipment and fermentation vessel is sanitized on your next batch, and possibly consider pitching a bit more yeast or adding yeast nutrients when you do.

I went ahead and made another batch. Made sure to sanitize all my equipment.
Went looking for some yeast nutrient but the store was out.
I pitched extra yeast into it like you said. Guess ill just have to wait and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I guess another question I had is is it necessary to have a secondary fermentation vessal?
Or if i just racked it out into a container then washed and sanitized my carboy I should be able to throw it back in and just add water to cut the headspace at the top right?
I have 2 but decided to use both for 2 batchs this time so they're both my primary fermenters atm