Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Anybody know what the gently caress this is? Has some fraction of essential volatile oils been dissolved in the airlock?

I think it's this. CO2 is used to extract things like this industrially (I think it's usually really cold though, so IDK if it's the same effect). Sounds like you've basically made la croix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

Friend posted:

Boy I suck at this. I got suspicious when my wine never did the big foamy thing I've seen in videos, just some piddly rear end bubbles like sparkling water. Apparently I wasn't supposed to put the airlock on for the first few days, and was supposed to put the yeast in water before dumping in. Oops.

I rubberbanded a paper towel over the top to give it some air, hopefully it picks up steam and isn't dead :ohdear:

Rehydrating yeast might help a little bit in some cases but really isn't necessary most of the time.

I added an airlock immediately for the first few batches I did and only had one stuck fermentation, and I think that was more due to my frigid house.

Oxygen is important for making new yeast cells (i think it's used for making the lipids in their cell walls but don't quote me on this), but, since this is the hobo wine thread, you probably used way more yeast than you needed so you can do without them reproducing I think.

If they do need oxygen, I think it's more helpful to have oxygen IN your liquid than above it, because yeast tend to sink when they aren't working, so shaking or stirring vigorously might help more than your paper towel.

Shake it up a little, move it to a slightly warmer spot, add more yeast, and it oughta wake right up.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

... probably scale a normal cup into a couple gallons...
I haven't used tea before but that sounds like A LOT. Are you brewing the tea before adding it or are you putting some tea bags in the fermenter?

Macha and honey sounds delicious, I hope it turns out well!

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

mead. I keep tasting it and it's fine, but it's just not done. Slooooowly still bubbling away.

mead can take a loooong time