Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my computer has been printing non-stop for the last several hours. when i try to make it stop printing, my computer says "you don't have permission to stop printing"

it's nearly run out of paper three times and i'm worried it will run out of ink. any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you have one of those refillable cartridges you can poor in more ink while its printing, u just have to be quick to match movements with the carriage

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's it printing, OP?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

have you tried asking an adult for permission?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I had the same problem in 3rd grade back in 1994 loving Qbasic Gorillas

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i wish you'd print you're are posts to /dev/null, op

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Printing out nudes for later jackin'

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
dont worry op all printers are inherently poo poo so yours will break very soon methinks.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i asked my friend for help and he says i should install linux

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’d just like to interject for a moment...

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

have you tried turning it off and never turning on ever again ? that’s how I exert control over my objects

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Partycat posted:

have you tried turning it off and never turning on ever again ? that’s how I exert control over my objects

i need my computer to be turned on so that i can use it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

foudn and image of op's printer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

spankmeister posted:

foudn and image of op's printer

lol.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i need my computer to be turned on so that i can use it

unplug the printer then or address it sternly

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Partycat posted:

unplug the printer then or address it sternly

it's a wireless printer

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Have you tried sucking its dick OP?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's a wireless printer

put a mirror betwixt computer and printer. :eng101:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm going to install linux

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm going to install linux

No no no, your computer is producing unwanted prints not producing unwanted sound

Hammockbottom
Apr 10, 2005

It was Hamhockbottom right?
mayb try printing something different?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hammockbottom posted:

mayb try printing something different?

yeah like a freakin’ clue!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
like 15 years ago at university they were forcing us to use some ancient barebone distro i forgot and i really had to print a pdf a prof gave us but i only really needed the first page so i launched ghostview or whatever and made extra sure to tell it to print 1 copy of page 1

naturally it started making GBS threads out a stream of pages at light speed so i ran to the printer to pull out the paper tray but it was locked. i turned to the spooler but a password was required to kill a print job. so i just stood there while the printer wasted its entire paper supply. the department charged us like 10 cents a page or some poo poo and they emailed me saying i owed them like 50 bucks. lol i never paid

welp that's my linux printing story bye

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

why was a university making you use some jankety bullshit like that?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

one time in college i was hanging out with a friend who worked in the computer lab, and there was a bug where printing PDFs was charged as just one page. we noticed that the printer seemed to be going for a long time and stopped it halfway through a 750 page book. the student who had printed it only needed one page so she flipped through the stack, grabbed that one page, and dropped the rest in the recycling bin.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i asked my friend for help and he says i should install linux

this is crazy advice, your printer is stuck printing not playing music

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ADINSX posted:

this is crazy advice, your printer is stuck printing not playing music

Hey I already made that joke

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

10 LPRINT "POOP"
20 GOTO 10

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Hey I already made that joke

:argh:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
op, printing is a natural thing that all computers do. sometimes they build up print jobs that have to be released. there’s no need to be embarrassed by it, it’s perfectly normal. some do it very rarely and some do it multiple times per day. trying to suppress the print jobs is only going to make your computer act out in strange ways. don’t interrupt your computer while it’s printing, and when it’s done you’ll find a happy and healthy computer.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Set the printer on fire, it can detect that and even has an error code for it.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
get some beta cuck to move the printer to a different location perhaps it will stop then

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

get some beta cuck to move the printer to a different location perhaps it will stop then

its nice of you to volunteer to help a fellow goon in need, bless

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
have you considered getting in the car with some of your coworker buddies, taking the printer out to a field, and bashing on it while playing a geto boys song?

i think that would be "epic"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i straight up do not understand why printers are still so loving bad and unreliable after so many decades

is it just inherently difficult to translate computer into paper?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i straight up do not understand why printers are still so loving bad and unreliable after so many decades

is it just inherently difficult to translate computer into paper?

I bought some random brother printer and it was really easy to connect it to the home wireless and my macbook discovered it automatically so idk how it could be any easier?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

you click 'print' and the page comes straight out of your laserjet 4

if you didn't buy a laserjet 4 then it's your own fault, not the printer's

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Sweevo posted:

you click 'print' and the page comes straight out of your laserjet 4

if you didn't buy a laserjet 4 then it's your own fault, not the printer's

I got in trouble once like a decade ago when I worked for some dinky computer repair business and I was replacing a laser jet 4 with a new printer and I asked the woman "oh these are great why are you replacing it?" and she said "uh your boss said I needed to buy this". Whoops

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
rip to bruce dackler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

graph posted:

rip to bruce dackler

lol

• Locked thread