Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I won't complain about Joseph being in the top 4 in spite of a 2-0 record because I'm not sold on him improving over last season yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SHOAH NUFF posted:

BoB is just as bad of a HC as Hue, but in a different way. I wish I knew how to explain it better

That is a bold statement my friend. Not because BOB is so amazing or anything, but in my mind he's comfortably middle of the pack whereas Hue could be replaced tomorrow by basically anyone and the Browns would immediately be better.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

cavallingus posted:

I won't complain about Joseph being in the top 4 in spite of a 2-0 record because I'm not sold on him improving over last season yet

Amusingly, they started off 2-0 last year too, absolutely murdering the Cowboys in week 2 42-17.

Huh, last year the Falcons, Panthers, Broncos, Lions, Chiefs, Steelers, Raiders and Ravens all started 2-0. Three of them missed the playoffs.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

BoB is just as bad of a HC as Hue, but in a different way. I wish I knew how to explain it better

In a different thread I basically said Hue has no expectations and nowhere near as much talent to waste.

With both, you know you're not going far, and both are given far more benefit of the doubt than they deserve about it, but Hue at least makes sure you know it by week 2 each year instead of toying around until at least mid-season before it starts to sink in.

Ideally he's gone way before 1-33-1 but since that's obviously not happening, gently caress it lol let's see how far we can go with it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

Amusingly, they started off 2-0 last year too, absolutely murdering the Cowboys in week 2 42-17.
That game gave me so much false hope :gonk:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I heard on a podcast somewhere that BoB had pretty much 100% of the decision making power in Houston this off-season so it put him in a position to succeed or get fired.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I like my coach

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

a neat cape posted:

I like my coach

I liked how he tore the poo poo out of that guy who got that 15 yard taunting penalty. He took him out of the game immediately ripped him a new rear end in a top hat for being dumb and once the dude got the message he put him back in the game. I know it sounds basic but there are probably a dozen or more coaches who let that poo poo slide.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
BoB is a 5 who thinks he's a 10, which makes him feel like a 2.

Brady told him to eat a buffet of dicks on national tv and nobody cared lol.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

pasaluki posted:

I liked how he tore the poo poo out of that guy who got that 15 yard taunting penalty. He took him out of the game immediately ripped him a new rear end in a top hat for being dumb and once the dude got the message he put him back in the game. I know it sounds basic but there are probably a dozen or more coaches who let that poo poo slide.

Namely, previous Chargers coaches Mike McCoy and Norv Turner

https://twitter.com/RealFRamirez/status/1041381752864796672?s=19

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Yeah but that's such a low bar

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how Tomlin has the same odds as Patricia. Yeah...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Time for the first update of the season. This one won't be quite as in-depth as later lists, because while we have two weeks of data and scuttlebutt to go off of, it's still just two weeks. Last year the Saints started 0-2 and I thought Payton was dead in the water. I was obviously wrong and will cop to it (you can dig through the archives if you want receipts), and many of these will be wrong, as well. But what fun is the NFL without early-September hot takes? Let's take a quick temperature check around the league and see where guys stand at this point.

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Todd Bowles, New York Jets
Adam Gase, Miami Dolphins
Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals
Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers
Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

Quick notes: The Jets seem content to ride out Darnold's development through thick and thin. Week 2 was definitely on the thin side, but if they stay competitive enough to grind out 6 or 7 wins, then I don't see a scenario where Bowles is in big danger. The Dolphins and Bengals were hardly convincing on paper, but 2-0 starts have a way of cooling off seats early. Put a pin in Gase and Marvin, whose teams are firmly in "wait and see" mode. One-legged Aaron Rodgers will save Fat Mike once again, I say with a heavy sigh. Quinn's commitment to Sark might be his downfall one day, but he can easily play the injury card right now.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders
Pat Shurmur, New York Giants
Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
Steve Wilks, Arizona Cardinals

Thumbs up to Vrabel, Reich, and Nagy for getting in the win column this week (especially Vrabel, who pulled some tricks out of his rear end to gut out a win without his franchise QB or starting tackles. That's a promising sign for the way he deals with adversity). The rest of these guys ... we need to talk. New head coaches are 3-11 to start the season, with many of them in embarrassing blowouts. Patricia and Wilks in particular look completely lost, and while we all expected Gruden to fall on his face, it's deeply concerning that the "fresh faces" seem to have no plan or identity. I wondered if Shurmur learned anything from his Browns tenure, and the answer has been a resounding "no" so far. None of these guys are in Mild yet because one-and-dones are still rare, but god drat, what a bad start. If they don't right the ship soon we could see this as a historically bad coaching class down the line.

MILD

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills -- The Nathan Peterman experiment went about as expected. Now he's stuck with a rawer-than-dead-cow rookie QB who's clearly not ready for the spotlight, but the Bills' disastrous QB handling has left them with no options. Meanwhile, the defense has collapsed and Josh Allen has next-to-no supporting cast. I never liked Allen as a prospect before the draft, but I could see a situation where he landed with the right team that nurtured him, gave him all the time he needed, and eventually unlocked his potential with patience and good weapons. The Bills are ... the complete opposite of that. He's being thrown to the wolves, and McDermott has no one to blame but himself.

Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers -- Find yourself a partner who loves you like the Steelers love unnecessary petty drama. For years this team has taken its Super Bowl window for granted, letting the Killer Bs do all the hard work while keeping a loose lid on locker room squabbles and volatile personalites. But now, the dam is starting to break. Le'Veon Bell isn't coming back anytime soon, Antonio Brown is skipping meetings, and Big Ben is playing up minor injuries like an amateur theater actor hamming for the cheap seats. Everyone involved is so focused on the palace intrigue that they seem to have forgotten the defense eroded without Ryan Shazier, their window is quietly closing, and they have yet to win this season. I don't expect Tomlin to get the boot from such a famously patient organization, but this team is a couple more losses away from complete implosion, and who knows what happens then?

John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens -- Before the season I put Harbaugh in Moderate and called this a "make or break" year for him. After two weeks, the results are ... incomplete at best. They handled their business against the Bills, but Flacoo quickly turned back into Checkdown Joe in a convincing loss to the Bengals. We still don't have a handle on how good this team really is, but the door is wide open with the Steelers in a midlife crisis and the Bengals in perpetual Bengals mode. If Harbaugh can't take advantage this year, then what excuse will he have next?

Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans -- *Captain America sits down in chair* So, you lost to Blaine Gabbert. I'm so over the BOB Texans at this point. He can play all the injury excuses he wants, but with Deshaun Watson and J.J. Watt both healthy at the same time, losing to that Titans team is just inexcusable. What has he done to prove he deserves the benefit of the doubt? I only have him in Mild because he won the front-office power struggle. I'd have him in Spicy Hot on a personal level, because this team desperately needs a fresh coat of paint and stop farting around with Belichick Wannabe #204.

Vance Joseph, Denver Broncos -- Why is Joseph still in Mild after a 2-0 start? Well, the Broncos started off 3-1 last year, and we all know how that turned out. They seemed to have really found something in the Phillip Lindsay/Royce Freeman RB duo, and Case Keenum is a good sight more watchable than the horror show of years past. Still, Joseph was real close to being fired last year, so I think he's gotta show a little something more before I can call him safe. The Ravens, Chiefs, Jets, and Rams over the next four weeks will tell us a lot about where the 2018 Broncos stand.

Jay Gruden, Washington -- The team followed up a dominant win over Arizona with a limp performance against the Colts, who clearly have less overall talent. That about follows the pattern I expect from Washington these days. Nothing new to see here -- they're a playoff team on paper, Gruden could be in trouble if they go 7-9 again, who loving knows.

Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys -- Speaking of "who loving knows," here's Garrett out here celebrating a win over the hated football Giants by just sitting back and letting the G-Men beat themselves. Nothing about that SNF game convinced me otherwise; this team is in deep trouble if they can't generate points.

Dirk Koetter, Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Well well well, look at ol' FitzMagic out here saving jobs and giving teams hope! It's like he never left the Jets! In all seriousness, a 2-0 start against that schedule gauntlet is huge, and we probably underestimated the Bucs all along given their sheer on-paper talent. But as always the case with Fitzpatrick, you gotta know when the clock strikes midnight, and Koetter has a huge decision to make when Jameis Winston comes back from suspension. Ride the hot hand, or go back to the quote-unquote "franchise QB?" How Koetter handles this will ultimately define the Bucs' season, and possibly his tenure.

Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks -- *Captain America sits down in chair* So, you hired Brian Schottenheimer as your OC. Sorry for going back to that well, but it's the only thing worth talking about with these Seahawks, whose problems run much deeper than even hardcore fans anticipated. That Super Bowl core is long gone, and what's left is a disheveled mess of a roster led by a coach stuck in his ways, refusing to adapt to the times. That's a recipe for disaster, especially for the oldest coach in the league. As this forum's resident level-headed Seahawks fan (cough), I'm quickly afraid that the worst-case scenarios are coming to fruition. At least Richard Sherman seems happy in Santa Clara.

MODERATE

None yet. I've dialed back some coaches because the season is still young, but this list will be quite full by late October, I promise.

SPICY HOT

Hue Jackson, Cleveland Browns -- Only the Hue Browns could break a losing streak without actually winning. How long can this charade go? When do we see Baker Mayfield? Does it even matter? Hue is a performance artist, maybe we should just sit back and let him brush his strokes at this point.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Going by ownership statements and the general vibe I get from the fanbase you can move Hue back to moderate. While any sane human being would have the shuttle gassed up and aimed at the sun this is Cleveland. I don't think Dorsey can win the power struggle that's required to dislodge him this season unless the locker room mutinies.

BoB has to be in the moderate seat. That team is to loaded and healthy to be bombing this hard. Power struggle win or no I can't imagine ownership has much patience with as much bad PR as they've gotten on top of a losing team.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's not enough to put him in Mild right now, but there's a possible one-and-done route for Patricia where Martha Ford fires GM Bob Quinn this year after he amounted to nothing in three years, and the new guy wants to clean house. She did give Mayhew and Lewand the boot mid-season a few years ago but then again Quinn gave Caldwell a year or two before moving on. Something to consider, but it's too early to say that it'll happen.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 19, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Going by ownership statements and the general vibe I get from the fanbase you can move Hue back to moderate. While any sane human being would have the shuttle gassed up and aimed at the sun this is Cleveland. I don't think Dorsey can win the power struggle that's required to dislodge him this season unless the locker room mutinies.

Yeah, but I have to agree with another poster there needs to be a WTF? category for Hue just based on the utter ineptness prevalent on the shores of Lake Erie.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I have to retract my previous statement. Place Hue in the Mild category.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Alright, I'm going to say it. Has Hue really been a terrible coach through three games? Week one, he tied, but he put himself in a position to win that game. Week two, they absolutely dominated the Saints. The only reason they lose is because of their field goal kicker, which is just as much on Dorsey as him.

Browns could be 3-0 right now and Hue has been competitive. I know it's easy to poo poo on him, but I'm not sure he's as bad as we make him out to be.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

Alright, I'm going to say it. Has Hue really been a terrible coach through three games? Week one, he tied, but he put himself in a position to win that game. Week two, they absolutely dominated the Saints. The only reason they lose is because of their field goal kicker, which is just as much on Dorsey as him.

Browns could be 3-0 right now and Hue has been competitive. I know it's easy to poo poo on him, but I'm not sure he's as bad as we make him out to be.

Yes, he has been. He's less of a coach and more of a hapless buffoon along for the ride. He doesn't actually do anything and yet still manages to gently caress it up most times. In my honest opinion, he simply does not have the qualities you want in a successful head coach.

Speaking of his success, the majority of it has been totally based on the defense being really good and I don't see how Hue has any hand in that at all. That's all Dorsey and Gregg Williams

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Hue chose to try a field goal that game when every other human alive would have done anything else

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sataere posted:

While we Monday QB everything, perhaps we are witnessing the birth of a coaching genius.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Now that it's Mayfield-time I would put my money on Bill O'Brien or Jason Garrett getting fired first

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Play posted:

Yes, he has been. He's less of a coach and more of a hapless buffoon along for the ride. He doesn't actually do anything and yet still manages to gently caress it up most times. In my honest opinion, he simply does not have the qualities you want in a successful head coach.

Speaking of his success, the majority of it has been totally based on the defense being really good and I don't see how Hue has any hand in that at all. That's all Dorsey and Gregg Williams

Out of some sick cosmic joke with odds, rules, what have you, I can see them losing a wild card seat due to their tie.

And Hue will get an extension.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sataere posted:

They added someone who has HC experience and a great track record as an OC in Todd Haley, as the OC. The Offense has looked much better this year. Hrmmm.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

Now that it's Mayfield-time I would put my money on Bill O'Brien or Jason Garrett getting fired first

I think BOB gets yet another pass because Watson's back healthy but really this is his first full year with what amounts to a quasi-rookie quarterback.

I want to say Garrett's hosed unless things start looking real good real fast, but who takes over on an interim basis? Linehan in his first HC spot since going 3-17 in his last 20 games with the Rams, or Marinelli in his first HC gig since going 0-16? I think Jerry would rather give Garrett the season, hope for a turnaround & deal with a big search in the offseason if he fails as opposed to replacing Garrett with either of those.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Garrett isnt getting fired lmao

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Play posted:

You've just described most of the head coaches in the NFL. The professional is overwhelmed with hapless buffoons failing to the top.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

I feel the same but Jeff Fisher got fired eventually and I was sure he'd coach forever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You've just described most of the head coaches in the NFL. The professional is overwhelmed with hapless buffoons failing to the top.

Yes but Hue is in a special class of hapless buffoon in that he brings absolutely nothing to the table. Other hapless buffoons are at least good at getting their team fired up, or organizing, or making statements/meeting with the press. Hue doesn't do a single thing well as far as I can tell

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They added someone who has HC experience and a great track record as an OC in Todd Haley, as the OC. The Offense has looked much better this year. Hrmmm.

The offense has looked much better because they have much better players. They have an actual real live WR for the first time in years, Carlos Hyde is pretty good, and they aren't running out an unending series of rookie QBs to throw picks and eat sacks.

I'll say again that Hue obviously deserves some poo poo for his record in spite of all that but he was coaching a team that until this year was like actively tanking the roster in exchange for draft picks

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Huge Ackson

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

Hue doesn't do a single thing well as far as I can tell

Say whatever you want about Hue but his office politics game is on fire. He traded a first and second rounder for a retired quarterback who he then threw into a game 4 days after he showed up. That was at least an arguably good quarterback to be fair, although he had no chance of showing it in that situation.

He tried to trade a second and a third for AJ McCarron and got the GM fired instead of him when the deal didn't go through--possibly because the GM slow played that disaster. He convinced his (remarkably idiotic owner--even by owner standards) that this was his first year as a head coach for the team.

That's a solid as hell track record.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Say whatever you want about Hue but his office politics game is on fire. He traded a first and second rounder for a retired quarterback who he then threw into a game 4 days after he showed up. That was at least an arguably good quarterback to be fair, although he had no chance of showing it in that situation.

He tried to trade a second and a third for AJ McCarron and got the GM fired instead of him when the deal didn't go through--possibly because the GM slow played that disaster. He convinced his (remarkably idiotic owner--even by owner standards) that this was his first year as a head coach for the team.

That's a solid as hell track record.

Okay yes, I admit I overlooked that. Hue does one thing and one thing only extremely well: preserving his own job.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

He brought in those coordinators. You can't have it both ways. Either he gets credit for putting a staff in place that maximizes those talents or those coordinators don't get any credit and it's all Dorsey.

I'm not saying Hue is an amazing coach all of a sudden, but a lot of us (I include myself) really loved Hue for the Browns job and then did a hard 180 on him to probably overcompensate for being terribly wrong. All I'm saying is he might not be as bad as previously indicated. And he absolutely deserves credit for how they have looked these first three games.

Queue Browns going full Browns the rest of the season and making me look more foolish than I already look for actually defending Hue. :v:

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The offense has looked much better because they have much better players. They have an actual real live WR for the first time in years, Carlos Hyde is pretty good, and they aren't running out an unending series of rookie QBs to throw picks and eat sacks.

I'll say again that Hue obviously deserves some poo poo for his record in spite of all that but he was coaching a team that until this year was like actively tanking the roster in exchange for draft picks

This is an interesting point too. Didn't the Browns turn over somewhere around 75% of their roster this year?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Bowles is one of the few catches as dumb or dumber than Hue, I wouldnt be too quick to let em off the hook

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

He brought in those coordinators. You can't have it both ways. Either he gets credit for putting a staff in place that maximizes those talents or those coordinators don't get any credit and it's all Dorsey.

I'm not saying Hue is an amazing coach all of a sudden, but a lot of us (I include myself) really loved Hue for the Browns job and then did a hard 180 on him to probably overcompensate for being terribly wrong. All I'm saying is he might not be as bad as previously indicated. And he absolutely deserves credit for how they have looked these first three games.

This would hold water if I wasn't pretty sure that he just took whoever was available and got lucky that it's halfway working out for him. Which is actually how all of his successes seem to happen. Agreeing to hire people who are more talented than you isn't any great achievment

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Metapod posted:

If the Cowboys offense continues to struggle horribly to score points and they can't win games because of it he will absolutely get fired

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Sataere posted:

Queue Browns going full Browns the rest of the season and making me look more foolish than I already look for actually defending Hue. :v:

This is an interesting point too. Didn't the Browns turn over somewhere around 75% of their roster this year?

Hue didn't have a choice about taking on an OC. It really looked like Ken "0 points over 3 games with AJ Green" Zampese was going to be it for a while this off season. Dorsey might have won his first fight with Hue by getting Haley.

Also correct: Dorsey kept up the roster churn.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

I feel the same but Jeff Fisher got fired eventually and I was sure he'd coach forever.

"Holy hell, let this guy live on forever as long as he isn't on my team just to see what happens."

With the second coming of Hue, it is time to place Fisher and a Pagano package in the heart of Houston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Hue didn't have a choice about taking on an OC. It really looked like Ken "0 points over 3 games with AJ Green" Zampese was going to be it for a while this off season. Dorsey might have won his first fight with Hue by getting Haley.

Also correct: Dorsey kept up the roster churn.

Didn't realize that about Haley. It definitely detracts from my argument.