Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm glad to see you back in the saddle, Bacter! And especially with this title, oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Did they try to rhyme appear/swear??? Did no one read this poo poo aloud before okaying it? :psyduck:

I have to wonder if the writer is from the UK and a terrible poet or merely a terrible poet. There are a lot of Britishisms and the therapist not mentioning payment could be an oversight. You'd expect Henry to be behind on payments there given his $600 tab at Doris' human flesh emporium.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
In editing, it's well known that Americans writing anything set in the UK (and the reverse) need their editor to pay particular attention the differences between American and British English. Then again, I suppose indie devs either can't afford to or don't see the value in even getting their game scripts professionally proofread. It just seems egregious in games where so much rides on the writing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Also

THERE ARE RHYMING DICTIONARIES

I just. Agh. :negative:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

JossiRossi posted:

It's probably been said, but it is driving me up a wall how the rhyming couplets don't always (or often?) have the same number of syllables in each line. Also, almost every line has 2-4 more words in them than they need. They could have cut out a ton, shortened the couplets and lost nothing other than how unwieldy everything is.

The writer thinks "meter" just refers to a unit of length.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Well done!

Thanks to you both for demonstrating how the script could've been done!

Now the game will seem so much worse by comparison. :cripes:

I think what Bacter's shown so far demonstrates two points about writing:

1. The utility of reading aloud what you've written. If Taiga had, he would've heard failed rhymes, the arhythmic couplets, and the awkward poo poo even dorky rhymesters probably wouldn't dare utter aloud. Likewise, after the hundredth useless line, he might've realized that the game's bloat is a liability, not an asset.

You know he looked at poetess/foetus and thought "close enough!" and patted himself on the back, and that "money be throwing" poo poo probably felt extremely clever. Use a rhyming dictionary! Using references isn't cheating!

...I'll feel like a jerk if we learn he's hearing impaired.

2. The importance of a second (or even more) set of eyes on your writing. An editor or copyeditor really could have kicked this into better shape. Hell, even some mildly interested beta readers would have been quite helpful. Writing is also a process of revision, and it doesn't generally happen (well) in a vacuum. Ask for others' opinions. Ask for help.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yes, that's my point -- use tools when you write.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yes, the parts the dev didn't do personally, like the art and music, are quite nice!

I'm sure there's a lot to look forward to in the story, though. We will always have Doris.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Grace needs to chill,
So give her the pill.
A cure would be nice,
but let's be real - soon his wife's on ice.

Imagine: a library devoted to avant garde noise. Wolf Eyes for days.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The music is very good!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That was a pretty good scream. The artwork is good; I definitely feel that these are the best elements of the game, so I appreciate the bonus video.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
He didn't see anything.

He's no narc.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Well, he knows there's a new vacancy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

a cartoon duck posted:

Henry being a barely-restrained rage monster is the most believable part of this story yet.

Yeah. It's easy to see him as one of those dudes who affect a laid back facade but is actually just waiting to snap.

Anyway let's be businesslike.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
My college destroyed all test animals after experiments. :smith: Even behavioral stuff, I was told.

Henry, don't quietly send off your wife to that good night;
Swing, Henry, swing! No, not that way. Fight! Fight! Fight!

I can write doggerel too. :catbert:

Also yeah the party was kind of funny-weird in that over the top out of nowhere way, but the incest and rape side plots here are just too much. That poor lady and her mum.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Someone who doesn't believe in proofreading. :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That's a lot of. Hmm. Err.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Two endings for the price of one! Huzzah!
Wrap it up, chaps, and stick it in a drawer marked--

What's that? We're not done?

Well, I suppose I'll make myself cozy and wait for the fun.

• Locked thread