Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I have a collection of old, somewhat tatty, but rather collectible paperback books.
I also have a nerdy compulsion to digitize this stuff so I don't have to damage my precious books by actually, you know, touching them when I want to read them.

What kind of scanner would you recommend I could use to digitize these?

Things that I care about:
- Safety of the book. Flatbed scanners mean I have to squash the book to get a good scan, which I want to avoid. I'm thinking maybe some sort of handheld scanner?
- Cost. I think there are awesome triangular book scanners out there but they cost a fortune(?)
- Speed. There are a lot of pages to get through, so I don't want to have to spend 30 seconds on each one. This extends to the ease of saving the scan afterwards without a ton of picture editing.
- Quality of scan needs to be decent but not outrageous

Things I don't really care about:
- Wireless. I don't care either way if it's wireless or wired, I just don't want to pay extra for wireless functionality. Generally I actually prefer wired since it won't run out of battery/charge.
- OCR. Not sure if this is even a thing, but I actually want the scans to look exactly like the book, not to be converted to a machine-readable format or something.

I've got no experience with this, so does anyone have any suggestons for what hardware would be best for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I have this http://www.irislink.com/EN-US/c1657/IRIScan---Portable-scanners---Discover-our-range.aspx

The results vary (particularly due to curvature of the pages), especially around the center of the books. It's also not the fastest way to scan. Sadly, I Don't think there are much better options, other than a proper triangle scanner (there are some dyi tutorials to build them yourself though).

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Photos are faster than scanners and will tend to require less unfolding of the book. Professional fast book content scanners use cameras and a frame and good lighting conditions, not scanners.
(Though they do this for OCR, not with the intent to keep the image as an image.)

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
If you do this, please consider making the scans of rare/out-of-print books available online to the public (where copyright law allows, I am not a lawyer, I just love books, thank you good night)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Try some very good lighting, a tripod, and a good quality phone camera with something like Office Lens

• Locked thread