Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Problem description: I just put together a new build, with an H370 mobo, i5 8500 CPU, with a fresh install of Windows 10. The DVD drive worked when I had only the BIOS up to put in installation discs, but now that I have Windows 10 up and running it won't open? Is it possible Windows 10 simply doesn't have a driver for it?

Attempted fixes: All the built in trouble shooters haven't found anything. Interestingly, under Devices, I can only see the DVD drive if I show hidden devices. It gives me an error message that the drive isn't connected to the computer. According to devices it's a Optiarc 7260s. If that's the case, I think it's a discontinued product because this is all they list on the Optiars website: https://www.optiarcinc.com/list-drives.html

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

I just installed Windows 10 Home fresh, overwriting all the partitions I had for Windows 7. The DVD Drive and tower are from a previous build; the drive itself worked under Windows 7 and when I had only the BIOS up before the windows 10 install.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: H370 mobo, Intel i5 8500, 8 GB rpijaws v series DDR4 SDRAM; Seasonic 650 watt 80 plus gold PSU; Gigabyte Radeon 7950 HD vid card.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Lemma fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
The "INTEL MEMPEK1W01GA" and "ST31000524AS" drives appear to be a memory module and your hard drive. I can't find much based on the name of the device, so I think "NEC NO_FW SC8" is your DVD drive.

You said it's generic, but are there any identifying marks on it? It looks like NEC is a drive manufacturer, so you at least have some idea of where to look for drivers. Try pulling it out to see if there are model numbers. If you can find some kind of model number, you might be able to download drivers from the NEC website. Alternatively, when re-installing the driver, you can try using Windows' built-in driver search to manually search for NEC as the manufacturer, and then try to find a driver matching the model.

There also seems to be an odd cult following of sorts for modified NEC firmware. I doubt you need new firmware (unless this drive has already been tinkered with), but that site might help you find more info about your drive.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

If you go back into the BIOS does it still open? Do you get lights at all on the thing?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Hey sorry, before I was able to finish this problem Windows crashed and never came back on line. I guess this is de facto resolved... thanks for the info on the drivers though, pseudorandom, that'll give me something to look for if I ever get this computer running again. Might be a new thread coming. Thanks for the help!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
So I think I found the model of the DVD Drive. It was only found under devices when I went to View > show hidden devices. Windows gives me an error message that the drive isn't connected. Strangely, sometimes I see the DVD drive in the BIOS boot list, but sometimes it isn't there. (Without making any software or hardware changes, just from reboot to reboot.) Would that just be a sign that the drive itself it broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'd try swapping out the SATA cable, or maybe the power one (if the tray still opens when it's not being detected in the BIOS, then to power is probably fine.)

• Locked thread