Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I'm talking about the cost to buy the game! Obviously it was a huge mistake for Valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Was it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guess this also lowers the chances of an Artifact: Alyx VR spin-off happening in ~20 years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The second they showed gameplay of this I knew it was going to fail and I'm glad for once gamers didn't just scarf down whatever slop they were fed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk why people say gamers swallow anything. These are the best selling games of all time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Most of these are very good games. People are willing to buy low effort sequels/iterations of popular series but that doesn't mean the gameplay is bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blizzard hasn't made a good game since WarCraft 3 and people bought the poo poo out of their stuff until (lol) their WarCraft 3 remaster.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love FFXIV, but I wonder how much damage the development, launch, and success of FFXIV 2.0 did to realistic expectations. The thing about that is, by the admission of everyone involved, it was a final resort (They spent a year trying to unfuck and bend the engine into something resembling playable. The proposal of 2.0 was the final ultimatum) by insane people backed by a desperate company.

Now we have seen 2 grand relaunches (This and Anthem) go down in flames, and I am sure that they took a look at what FFXIV did and though "We could pull this off!" (They could not pull this off)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Blizzard hasn't made a good game since WarCraft 3 and people bought the poo poo out of their stuff until (lol) their WarCraft 3 remaster.
Ok, you got me. I didn't want to go into it but I do think Overwatch is a truly bad game that was popular and I was going to name it as a specific exception. D3 is ok imo.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 5, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Diablo 3 is the worst video game sequel ever in my eyes (and before Fallout 4 had no competition).

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Hearthstone is a good game, despite everything.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Overwatch is good, Diablo 3 is good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Diablo 3 was a really fun game after the expansion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nobody ever claimed Artifact purchasers had good taste.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I love FFXIV, but I wonder how much damage the development, launch, and success of FFXIV 2.0 did to realistic expectations. The thing about that is, by the admission of everyone involved, it was a final resort (They spent a year trying to unfuck and bend the engine into something resembling playable. The proposal of 2.0 was the final ultimatum) by insane people backed by a desperate company.

Now we have seen 2 grand relaunches (This and Anthem) go down in flames, and I am sure that they took a look at what FFXIV did and though "We could pull this off!" (They could not pull this off)

The Final Fantasy brand is so much bigger than Anthem or Warcraft 3 knock-off characters, FFXIV had to be fixed or it had the potential to bring down the entire franchise (especially with how many L's in a row Square had taken at the time, starting with XIII and the development hell XV was in).

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Diablo 3 is the worst video game sequel ever in my eyes (and before Fallout 4 had no competition).

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel is much worse than Fallout 4

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chainclaw posted:

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel is much worse than Fallout 4

Not a mainline game so doesn't count.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

It’s like they miss the metric gently caress ton of money and effort square out into redoing FF14. The suits seem to just expect to just flip their failure into a success with actually being willing to support the project enough to fix the faults.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not a mainline game so doesn't count.

OK, if you're sticking to mainline sequels only, then I would say Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor is the worst sequel ever made.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Overwatch is good, Diablo 3 is good.

Lmao no

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

more great opinions from the artifact man

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

more great opinions from the artifact man

I only have great opinions that’s right

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they sure do GRATE on me lmao gotem

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

It’s like they miss the metric gently caress ton of money and effort square out into redoing FF14. The suits seem to just expect to just flip their failure into a success with actually being willing to support the project enough to fix the faults.

Also it's worth noting that FF14 was REALLY loving LUCKY. Like, the only other game I can think of that was as big a flop as it that also managed to turn things around with No Man's Sky, and even now it isn't a smash hit. FF14 getting successfully rebooted into one of the most popular MMOs was nothing short of lightning in a bottle.

It's kind of hilarious to me that all these other companies now have a shining example of "we can turn it around if we try!!!" that means they will run every failed online game into the ground, I love watching that poo poo burn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The lesson of FF14 should be you can salvage a game if you have a one-in-a-million lead team that prioritizes shipping and listens to feedback, and you are fully funding both short-term quality of life fixes to keep the playerbase's interest and long-term redesigns to make it a sustainable game

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I honestly don't even know whether Valve can make a good game at this point or whether they're just looking for the next hat store that happens to include a game

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TOOT BOOT posted:

I honestly don't even know whether Valve can make a good game at this point or whether they're just looking for the next hat store that happens to include a game

I'm not saying it's impossible for Valve to make another good game, but it IS worth pointing out that huge numbers of their very talented developers left to other studios because Valve stopped making games.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

Idk why people say gamers swallow anything. These are the best selling games of all time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Most of these are very good games. People are willing to buy low effort sequels/iterations of popular series but that doesn't mean the gameplay is bad.

Flavorless gruel for the masses! Artifact would have fit in fine (well card games don't have the mass appeal to be in that list) except it cost money.

Flayer posted:

Hearthstone is a good game, despite everything.

How do you live with such thoughts in your head?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
We need a third Artifact game to complete the trilogy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BoldFace posted:

We need a third Artifact game to complete the trilogy.

Make it a battle-royale

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
valve is the third artifact

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

Yeah, and there's also thousands of F2P games out there that people are willing to download for free and watch ads in or spend money on virtual items.

Top 20 Android games by downloads/installs via AndroidRank:

pre:
Subway Surfers      1B+ downloads (estimate: 1,351B) - Most expensive microtransaction: $99.99
Candy Crush Saga    1B+ downloads (estimate: 1,148B) - Most expensive microtransaction: $149.99
Garena Free Fire    500M+ downloads (estimate: 980M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $109.99
Clash of Clans      500M+ downloads (estimate: 614M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $100.00
8 Ball Pool         500M+ downloads (estimate: 648M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $109.99
My Talking Tom      500M+ downloads (estimate: 655M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $99.99
My Talking Angela   500M+ downloads (estimate: 561M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $99.99
Pou                 500M+ downloads (estimate: 592M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $24.99
Hill Climb Racing   500M+ downloads (estimate: 564M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $123.00
Temple Run 2        500M+ downloads (estimate: 632M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $49.99
Ludo King           500M+ downloads (estimate: 522M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $249.99
Temple Run          500M+ downloads (estimate: 554M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $19.99
PUBG Mobile         100M+ downloads (estimate: 500M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $199.99
Mobile Legends      100M+ downloads (estimate: 459M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $111.40
Roblox              100M+ downloads (estimate: 500M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $199.99
Brawl Stars         100M+ downloads (estimate: 288M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $99.99
Pokemon GO          100M+ downloads (estimate: 500M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $99.99
Sniper 3D           100M+ downloads (estimate: 304M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $119.99
Shadow Fight 2      100M+ downloads (estimate: 198M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $49.99
Dream League Soccer 100M+ downloads (estimate: 176M) - Most expensive microtransaction: $99.99

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Artifact just released for free, let's see how big it gets!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 6, 2021

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

2.0 made the game far worse so this isn't really a surprise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXIV 2.0 was also, effectively, a whole new game. What Anthem and Artifact were missing is SE went hey, we're gonna keep supporting this lovely game and were gonna develop a whole new one at the same time. None of these companies are gonna invest that sort of money and time.

The other thing in SE's favor is the guy they hired to lead the "Unfuck FFXIV" project was the same guy who successfully ran their "Unfuck FFXI" project

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
ffxiv was also important to save because it carries a thirty year old name brand

nobody gives a gently caress about the dota and anthem brands lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

FFXIV 2.0 was also, effectively, a whole new game. What Anthem and Artifact were missing is SE went hey, we're gonna keep supporting this lovely game and were gonna develop a whole new one at the same time. None of these companies are gonna invest that sort of money and time.

The other thing in SE's favor is the guy they hired to lead the "Unfuck FFXIV" project was the same guy who successfully ran their "Unfuck FFXI" project

uhhh no? Yoshi P worked on Dragon Quest X though so maybe you're confusing it with that.

E: otherwise yeah the ff14 thing that people usually forget is that they actually did support ff14 until its eventual death to try to get existing players at least something. I remember hearing podcasts at the time of people really excited about what was happening in the game towards the end of its lifecycle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

uhhh no? Yoshi P worked on Dragon Quest X though so maybe you're confusing it with that.

E: otherwise yeah the ff14 thing that people usually forget is that they actually did support ff14 until its eventual death to try to get existing players at least something. I remember hearing podcasts at the time of people really excited about what was happening in the game towards the end of its lifecycle.

For some reason I got the fixer of FFXI and FFXIV mixed into one as the same guy bungled two mmos (ffxi was successful, but brutal at launch which is why he got to go onto FFXIV)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

finally having played artifact for the first time now that it's free and I get all the cards it's super frustrating because I...almost like it? Like, it's still more bad than good atm but I can almost see a game I'd really like playing...somewhere in there

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Not for nothing but I think FFXIV is also helped by the absolute loving reams of FF fan service scattered throughout the game. If you’re a long time Final Fantasy nerd then that game is just loving full of random (or not so random) callouts / references from other FF games. Things like that go a long way towards getting long time FF fans to invest in an MMO, especially now that the game is really good.

Contrast that to Artifact - who actually gives a gently caress about DOTA “lore”? I mean really. Most of it is just Warcraft 3 with some edges sanded off. I know some hardcore DOTA players probably love the lore but I’m also going to guess the crossover from intense MOBA player to trading card game is less than turning an RPG fan into MMORPG fan.

The entire premise of Artifact was loving stupid as hell and it’s stunning to me that Valve ever ran with it. And that’s not even beginning to get into the monetization disaster or gameplay or etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barudak posted:

FFXIV 2.0 was also, effectively, a whole new game.

This was the strangest part of Artifact 2.0 - they were making Artifact 1.1 instead of a whole new thing.

Pathos posted:

Contrast that to Artifact - who actually gives a gently caress about DOTA “lore”? I mean really. Most of it is just Warcraft 3 with some edges sanded off. I know some hardcore DOTA players probably love the lore but I’m also going to guess the crossover from intense MOBA player to trading card game is less than turning an RPG fan into MMORPG fan.

Dota 2 didn't even carry over the only lore I remember from DOTA - Antimage and Terrorblade being brothers.