Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

System Metternich posted:

German war propaganda, 1914. The top line reads "Are we the barbarians?" and then come a number of comparisons with England and France. From top to bottom: Annual social insurance payments - number of illiterates per 10,000 recruits - expenses for education - number of published books - nobel prizes - patents

(I didn't fact-check it, but I think it's certainly an interesting variety of wartime propaganda I hadn't seen before)

The germans were very particular about appearing civilized since two of the major accusations against them were the shooting of Belgian civilians and unrestricted u-boat warfare, which were both seen as very uncivilized. Willy was big on the perception being A Knightly Gentleman and having the Germans be honorable in all that they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Troupes Coloniales certainly had very low literacy rates and there were like a half million African troops deployed in France during the war. I'm sure that being literate in your local language doesn't count, not that there would be huge numbers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Arise, thread! This comes two days late, but here are some pictures illustrating why November 9th is also sometimes calles the "fateful day" of Germany:

The execution of Robert Blum by Carl Steffeck, 1848/49

Great post. Is Blum refusing last rites from the priest in the painting?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean they gotta. Those old bolt actions kick like a sumbitch, and would be skipping straight off some curved steel.

Breastplates were given to specialized Assault Engineers and deminers. I don't think that many of the breastplate users were rocking M1891/30s or M44s. They were mostly issued submachine guns. The unit also had lots of other special Assault Engineering equipment like bangalores, various explosives, lots of grenades, flamethrowers, etc, but I doubt they made the guy wearing the armor carry a bunch of other poo poo.