Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Walter Rothschild riding his giant tortoise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

J.T.C. Moore-Brabazon, the First Lord Brabazon of Tara, had one goal in his life: To prove that pigs can fly.
In 1909 he finally got his chance when he acquired an aero plane, he then put a pig in a basket and took to the skies:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fidel Castro skiing in Russia:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1935 the nazi family magazine Sonne ins Haus held a contest to find the perfect aryan baby. This picture won.

The nazis never found out that it was a picture of a jewish baby sent in by the photographer Hans Ballin to troll them.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Oct 3, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A french woman kicking a german pow in 1944:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Judith Slaying Holofernes by Artemisia Gentileschi (1593 –1656):

One interpretation is that Artemisia made this painting where she is literally slaying the person who raped her (the woman doing the slaying is wearing a bracelet with the greek god Artemis on it).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Amy Cohen instructing people on how to be mall santas at Henry's Stores in Birmingham in 1957.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

It sure wasn't the approach taken for the other Baltic countries which were occupied by the Soviet Union after the Molotov Ribbentrop pact. They were occupied and any leadership and intelligentsia etc were shipped off to Siberia, where of course many died because it's Siberia and the Soviet Union gave few shits about anyone sent there. However, the great majority of the population stayed and was repressed locally. A heavy handed occupation with the explicit long term intention to erase the countries as national entities sure, but it was not a kill everyone genocide.

Soviet deported a shitload of people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_transfer_in_the_Soviet_Union

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

They sure did, and very often in a very racist manner too, so any group that didn't neatly conform to white/european peasants got shafted extra hard. When they occupied Estonia after Molotov Ribbentrop they sent away 1/5th of all Estonians on trains to Siberia as they were part of "troublesome" social classes, occupations or organisation (soldiers, student leaders, politicians, journalists etc). In total 1/3 of the population was directly affected by repression (deportations, arrests, executions, asset seizures etc). I would still not consider that a kill everyone and deport the rest to Siberia motivation, because their goal was to occupy and forcefully convert the society to a totalitarian soviet state.

The death toll was in the millions, I call that a deport the ones you don't kill policy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

So you agree that when Finland was invaded the Soviet Union tried to kill everyone and failing that, send the rest to the Siberia?

I didn't really talk about Finland but countries like Crimea where its hard to not argue that the end goal was not eradication so that russians could move in

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

June 9th, Norway secede from the union with Sweden and the swedish flag is taken down and the norwegian flag is raised on Akershus Fortress:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's a new theory, based on the fingers on the handprints, that a lot of the cavepainters were female:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

And from Finland (Joulupukki; these are definitely modern drawings made to look old but whatever):

Finland is a goddamned horrorshow. They also have Nuuttipukki, named after St. Knut who was killed on january 7th. This called knutsdag (Knut's day) and marks the end of christmas in Scandinavia. Later the day was moved to january 13th. In Finland, on that day, Nuuttipukki will come a calling and demand the leftovers from the feast (especially booze) and if you don't pay up then Nuuttipukki will gently caress you up:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

at least here in denmark, yule lasts until pascha :ohdear:
Men det er ikke sant, men det er ikke sant for innimellom kommer fasten.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uzbekistan, 1959. Nikita Khrushchev lecturing about the advantages of corn.

Grand Central Terminal 1930.

A group of french soldiers praying before the battle of Bardiya on january 1st 1941.

“Louis Firetail (Sioux, Crow Creek), wearing tribal clothing, in American history class, Hampton Institute, Hampton, Virginia”; late 1890s.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Feb 7, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I saw a really old picture of a bunch of people on a ship about to emigrate from Iceland to Canada. Everyone looking very weathered and stern but all around them where a bunch of vaguely humanoid blurs. Presumably their kids.

Either that or ghosts fairies.

Possibly both because if horror films have taught me anything it's that 80% of ghosts are (were?) children.

Fixed that for you to make it sound more icelandic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The so called Egtved girl who was buried in 1370 b.c. in Denmark:

And what she's believed to have looked like:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This photo from 1973 is called Burst of Joy and depicts Robert L. Stirm being reunited with his family after being held in captivity for five as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam. Three days before the photo were taken Stirm had gotten a letter from his wife where she asked for a divorce.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the early 20th century feminists started printing instructions books about how women could protect themselves with their hatpins. The result was predictable:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

British pilots’ using bicycles in order to practice flight order. 1941.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of, in 1988 queen Margrethe visited Norway and Blitz (which is similar to BZ) tried to run into city hall with a goddamn battering ram:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Women being arrested for wearing too revealing bathing suits in 1922 in Chicago.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The aftermath of a kamikaze pilot trying to sink HMS Sussex in the Indian Ocean in 1945:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Children playing in the street, New York 1905.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pictures of immigrants at Ellis Island:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Gonna guess all but maybe the first are from the Ottoman Empire.

Only two from the Ottoman Empire and only kinda. The first is a guadeloupean immigrant, then a romanian shepherd (Romania was part of the Ottoman Empire but the photograph is from 1906 which was after Romania gained independence from the Ottoman Empire), the third one is a cossack, the fourth is only identified as "Hindoo Boy", the fifth is from Algeria (but again, after it gained independence from the Ottoman Empire) and the last one is a ruthenian immigrant.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Dick Cheney posted:

What are those tubes on his chest for? They look like cigar tubes but that's a lot of cigars.

Probably more knives.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Berlin art academy 1909.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

Post some and you may win more renown than you know :v:

The lost Instagram account of Leonardo da Vinci.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Woodward_/status/1307037056619761665

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

lol

Mostly unrelated, but sometimes I think about the Norse Greenlandic settlers, and what it must have been like to be the last one of them alive.

The archaeological evidence suggest that they understood how hosed they were and left instead staying to the last man.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

I feel a bit sorry for the man who lost his hat.

Don't feel too sorry. That man was Adolf Hitler.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:nm

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/writersdoing/status/1314653443307565059

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

(Christ in the House of His Parents, painted in 1849 by John Everett Millais)
This was immensely controversial when it was exhibited. People complained that Christ was depicted with red hair and that there was wood shavings on the floor. Charles Dickens also wrote about the depiction of Mary:

quote:

...so hideous in her ugliness that ... she would stand out from the rest of the company as a Monster, in the vilest cabaret in France, or the lowest gin-shop in England.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Red hair was also associated with jews, so people were outraged that Jesus was depicted as a jewish boy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Buttchocks posted:

I really like this, especially John the Baptist getting skeeved out, but why is there a trebuchet in the background? I don't remember one of those in the gospels.

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a trebuchet."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I think it went beyond suggesting Christ’s Jewishness, just the very idea of depicting kid Jesus and his family as regular people was appalling. I’m a little taken aback at Dickens’s criticism.

Dickens never missed a chance to be an rear end in a top hat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jane Foole (1543-1558) the only female court jester that has been depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

During the twenties taking your picture with a guy in a polar bear costume was really popular in Germany.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021