Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Here's a tip, op: Point bugs. Point fall in work, point everything. Anything anyone does, point it, because we have to get "credit" for the work we do. Whatever it takes we've got to make these charts go up Up UP!

you aren't living if your burndown isn't going up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

akadajet posted:

you aren't living if your burndown isn't going up

Our scrum master is fine allowing fall in without negotiating for something to fall out because if it spills over to next sprint apparently thats 'no big deal' so long as the numbers are big.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ADINSX posted:

fall in...fall out

goddamn. i have a lot to learn.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

ignorance is bliss, my friend

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

President Beep posted:

honestly I think thats about it, scrum is so embarrassingly simple but that doesn't stop us from having a dedicated scrum master for every team to lead ceremonies poorly.

We had product owner training the other day and I overheard one of them marveling at how he just learned stories should be able to fit on a post card. Of course almost none of them know anything about software so most stories are a single sentence anyway but wow he sure was amazed.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it sounds deceptively simple, but it takes some talent to implement effectively

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

I agree. Its about actually understanding what goes in tickets, and how to naturally break things into epics, stories and tasks. Then you can communicate this to the programmers and maybe more importantly: to other teams that are either dependencies or dependent on your work. The only way to do this, imo, is to have been a programmer in the past. The only scrum master's ive worked with that were worth a drat were former programmers at some level.

Otherwise you're just parroting what the team is telling you, and for teams composed of awkward dorks, means the stories are basically one liners.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
have you considered giving out achievements, op? nerds will do anything for them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

yeah and if you gently caress it up you get trampled by multiple people and it sucks rear end

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
move all your services to alibaba cloud and rocket your source code directly into the hands of the chinese government at an amazing speed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

the other AWS

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

but scrums are a mostly stationary setpiece? i dont think that would increase velocity very effectively

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HoboMan posted:

but scrums are a mostly stationary setpiece? i dont think that would increase velocity very effectively

gotta look at the flankers getting off tho

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Broken Machine posted:

just take them up to the top of a building for a team building exercise, and then you throw them off the building

I think defenestrate is a word that should reenter the zeitgeist

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think defenestrate is a word that should reenter the zeitgeist

that's specifically windows though, and yes it should

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Be sure to have lots of meetings where you Touch Base to be sure everyone is Aligned

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gotta tag up on the reg

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8miwsWtzRw

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Bloody posted:

gotta tag up on the reg

can't support any more tag ups today, sorry. try my backup?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

gotta look at the flankers getting off tho

yeah please stop sending me those snapchats

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Trebuchet is a pretty good developer velocity acceleration tool. It can fling your startup to a whole new level.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skim Milk posted:

yeah please stop sending me those snapchats

laughed irl

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anyway i'm not playing this season since i ripped my left pec off the humerus in our last post-season game in may

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
don't listen to so-called 'agile' consultants, do scrum the traditional rugby way

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a good start :smug:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cut out testing, documentation & design meetings op

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I think if you transition from an open office to a whirlie office u can get that velocity issue, including the spin up and spin down time resolved op

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
stupid physicists: nothing can go faster than c, the speed of light

enlightened software engineer: have you considered... c++

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Plank Walker posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Plank Walker posted:

c# superiority

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

c++...++?!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
how does a laser cutter work? c#

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

One time I worked in a really hardcore agile shop. We did the whole three days of sprint planning thing and blindly raising point cards and all that song and dance. Velocity was super important and reported on with daily emails to everyone.

It turns out two guys on the executive team were embezzling funds because they knew the idea wasn't viable and we went out of business after six months of just burning/stealing money. Pretty good agile experience.

We never figured out what the theft velocity was, but it had to be at least twice the burn rate of the entire development team.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 6, 2018

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
protip, you can improve your velocity by lighting your Jira server on fire

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

anyway i'm not playing this season since i ripped my left pec off the humerus in our last post-season game in may

rip ur titty but not literally

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
also increase your story points so one day = 10 points

10x velocity increase overnight

you're welcome

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
*dragging story onto board two days before sprint ends* yeahhhh, we gotta get this in, CEO thinks sales needs this in order to sell

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Pryor on Fire posted:

whole three days of sprint planning thing

what the gently caress

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

also increase your story points so one day = 10 points

10x velocity increase overnight

you're welcome

scrum master passes out screaming that points represent effort, risk and complexity; not time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I’ve been thinking it’s about time we call another 2 hour meeting to discuss what points represent

• Locked thread