Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

A few months ago, a few articles about an unknown explosion/light source in space were published online and almost immediately forgotten about. Whatever it is was named SN 2018COW and I kind of figured it's a gamma ray burst that's calculated to be heading right at earth and anybody that's important is just keeping quiet because there would be mass hysteria/riots all over the world and probably societal breakdown if it actually got out that we're all going to die soon.

Gamma rays travel at the speed of light though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

If you dig deeper than the sensationalist books reporting alleged contact with aliens during the various ufo flaps between the late 1940s to the early 1980s, it turns out that there is a wealth of primary sources spanning the world independently witnessing strange poo poo. The sources aren’t all translated into english, but a great many are, and as a whole these accounts at very least suggest that there were things flying around, landing, and interacting with people to varying degrees for decades.

Unfortunately essentially anyone old enough to be a reliable witness back then is either dead or too far removed from the events to be credible today so we literally will never know the true nature of it unless a government decides to disclose.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jellymouth posted:

I think its plausible that members of the British royal family provided intelligence that helped the Nazis invade France. At the time, plenty of them were way more supportive of Hitler's Germany than France, and they're still such an archaic organization who values their image above anything else that its entirely believable that would continue to cover something like that up to this day.

Also, I think its believable that a lot of Scientologist celebrities are being blackmailed by the organization to come out as Scientologists. Especially Tom Cruise.

Also, the Earth is hollow, filled with dinosaurs, and mountains are just the roots of enormous ancient trees.

Wasn't this an episode of The Crown or Downton Abby?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

But they cut like a knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC7ii3Ir-no

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Osama bin laden, who was known to be in poor health prior to 9/11, died of natural causes in early December of 2001 and was buried in an unmarked grave in the desert. This was witnessed and confirmed by CIA agents who had arrived to visit his death bed in Kandahar shortly before the US invasion began in full.

The Bush administration largely kept his death a secret although it was reported in some local media and the story was picked up by a handful of western news outlets who quickly discredited the claims and moved on to portraying him as an elusive boogeyman who may or may not be dead. The administration planned to use a fabricated attack by US special forces to claim he was killed in a raid shortly before the 2004 election to bolster support for the wars and help win a second term, but decided to hold off and keep the plan in reserve for a future propaganda victory after Saddam Hussein was captured in December of 2003.

The Obama administration, facing public backlash over the Great Recession from occupy Wall Street and facing their own reelection battle in the coming year decided to put the original plan into action. Initial reports claimed he was killed by a helicopter gunship but the story quickly changed to an epic special forces raid complete with a Hollywood style action packed gunfight. The movie practically writes itself. And then they “buried him at sea” and released a single picture of some random dude with his face conveniently shot off as proof of their claims.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I like the OBL conspiracies, and this thread in general

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Yeah but what about all the sightings from military, civilian and commercial pilots of encountering objects and lights that travelled so fast and behaved in ways that seem impossible.
Lots of them listed on wiki like this recent one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Alderney_UFO_sighting

Gotta chalk some of them up to mis-IDs if not outright hoaxes. But they're probably not all explained away with those. The rest? Who the gently caress knows. I definitely don't wave my hands and say "all UFOs are bullshit", I just don't think any of them are aliens.

There's definitely poo poo out there we haven't nailed down yet. Maybe it's cross-dimensional tomfoolery like some people think is happening at places like Skinwalker Ranch or maybe it's just natural atmospheric effects that are so rare we haven't seen enough to start defining them. I imagine thunder and lightning scared the gently caress out of humanity at one time too.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
http://www.nuforc.org/

http://mck.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=e2e536b0f0c2442bb35dcdb661db48ec

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

One 9/11 one I used to flirt with:

United 93 was downed by a USAF fighter when US commanders realized the highjacker's endgame. The heroic passenger narrative was ginned up for a public who might not have accepted the calculated pragmatism of killing forty deliberately to save hundreds or thousands.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 4, 2018

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Yeah, well if it was pretty far away, then wouldn't it still take a while? Like if it was outside our galaxy? I guess that if we can already see it, then the light already reached us.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Osama bin Laden

Before her assassination, Benazir Bhutto mentioned that Osama bin Laden had been dead for a good deal of time. IIRC this was in 2005 or so. I was never really convinced with the Obama administration's story (especially since they changed it about four times in one freaking day) and that burial at sea was horseshit. If we can show Saddam dancing off a rope, we can show whatever.

Yeah, well if it was pretty far away, then wouldn't it still take a while? Like if it was outside our galaxy? I guess that if we can already see it, then the light already reached us.

I think that's what he was saying. Although, the earth has been hit pretty much dead-on by a gamma ray burst from a dying star before and it hosed poo poo up bigtime. We must've been outside the main part of the burst or something, because how can that not turn a planet into a cinder?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If you're gonna turn the raid into a work, why bother with a crashed stealth helicopter you gotta scuttle? Why not just have your pageant go off without a hitch? To add to the drama?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Beats me. The first telling sounded like an epic gently caress up, followed by some James Bondsy-poo poo.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

"Aliens" and "ghosts" are very closely linked and are both manifestations of the same kind of energy.

Nobody who's ever died has become a ghost, and no alien life that has visited Earth has been seen or interacted with humans. But there's some kind of psychic energy out there that links that 2 things together, they're both manifestations of the shared subconscious or whatever.

Alien encounters started off weird as hell, you had aliens that were giant metal boxes, little gnomes, giant blonde women. All kinds of weird stuff. Then the grey alien became the pop culture norm and slowly every single alien encounter involved them.

Ghosts are the same way. If you read about ancient ghost encounters all the way up the 1800s you had ghosts sticking their hands in people's buttcheeks, flicking noses, playing musical instruments, and shooting ectoplasm all over the place. As time goes on the popular ghost encounter becomes "there's a bang on the wall, oh poo poo a ghost". And now that's the encounter everybody has.

You could argue crazy people are just copying the generic story, and 99% of these encounters are that exactly, but there's 1% of people who truly experience some weird psychic event but frame it as a spooky ghost or probing alien because that's how their mind processes it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
We are slowly being conditioned to accept a global culling of a large fraction of the population for the greater good. The FEMA death camp/mass grave thing several years ago was a test to see how we'd react.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

We are slowly being conditioned to accept a global culling of a large fraction of the population for the greater good. The FEMA death camp/mass grave thing several years ago was a test to see how we'd react.

I mean as long as it's not in my backyard or my family, right?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Mariah Carey is/was being blackmailed by her former manager on the behest of Russian organized crime.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Me, I'm a Nerine Shatner truther.

In 1999, Bill "Captain Kirk" Shatner's wife Nerine ostensibly drowned in a pool. Now there's certainly a plausible case that it was just death by misadventure. Like a lot of hollyweird types she had substance abuse issues. But, she was also reputedly a real strong swimmer.

HOWEVER during the 911 Shatner, adopting a sort of weird affect says his wife is dead in the pool and the operator is like "Well poo poo get her out idiot" and, no poo poo, he declines and mumbles something about not wanting to ruin his expensive new toupee. Also, he had apparently threatened her with divorce right beforehand. Maybe her conveniently drowning was a way to keep that sweet sweet star wars money to himself? Add to that the fact that he had her cremated her ASAP in spite of them both being Jewish and that being a preeety fuckin' strong taboo and to me it adds up to something fishy. Entirely possible LA cops were all too happy not to dig too much and pin a body on a beloved sci fi hero? I think so.

Welp, that's my post and if you got this far I'm sorry you had to read it.

What conspiracy theories do you believe, friends?

William Shatner is enough of a narcissist weirdo that I can see him doing all the above in earnest, hoenstly.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

If you're gonna turn the raid into a work, why bother with a crashed stealth helicopter you gotta scuttle? Why not just have your pageant go off without a hitch? To add to the drama?

Maybe the Pakistan compound raid was an unrelated clandestine military shindig that went pear shaped?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The hippie movement was started by ivy-league economics students who recognized that the global economy had already reached post-scarcity, and there was plenty of wealth and resources to let every single man, woman and child on earth live a life of ease with very few personal sacrifices.

So they banded together and created communities that freely shared resources where each able-bodied individual contributed maybe one or two hours a day of labour, and it worked. The image of hippie communes as drug-fueled orgy pits is the result of a concentrated effort by the corporate media over decades to discredit the movement.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Piss is stored in the balls.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

lizardman posted:

Mariah Carey is/was being blackmailed by her former manager on the behest of Russian organized crime.

William Shatner is enough of a narcissist weirdo that I can see him doing all the above in earnest, hoenstly.

I could see it, but he's also enough of a nacrissist weirdo I can see him murking his wife to avoid a messy divorce.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I like this new word.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I like this new word.

It kind of scans like how someone might say it when they're Shatner level drunk.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The US was shooting down n. Korean ""test"" missiles.

Terrorists tortured and tried to film the torture of some of the victims in the paris night club shooting.

Also the U.S. shot down united 93. Except they might not have even intended that and were getting in a pursuit and the not super trained pilot crashed trying... who knows.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Terrorists tortured and tried to film the torture of some of the victims in the paris night club shooting.

I could have sworn I read a mainstream article that basically confirmed this?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

I could have sworn I read a mainstream article that basically confirmed this?

Its definitely not any official govt line, and every side has motivation to lie about the event so its tough.

But hell, saying LHO didn't use the magic bullet to kill JFK is a conspiracy. Ironically I actually buy the magic bullet, bullet physics gets loving wonky.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

I sorta believe pee can be stored in the buttcheeks instead of the balls. This would explain why girls pee too but I firmly believe their pee is stored in the boobs so I don't really know what to believe at this point.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Neutrino posted:

Justin Trudeau is a CIA plant. He isn't even Canadian. His real name is Murray Baluta and he lived in the Bronx until he got "elected."

Trudeau is actually the illegitimate son of Pierre Elliot Trudeau's wife and Fidel Castro.

Is it still a conspiracy theory if it's just one man? I've been thinking lots about the Falcon Lake incident. A guy out in the woods gets burned by a UFO. He's adamant it was a U.S machine and not aliens. He's a mechanical engineer or something, and he's got all these insanely accurate sketches especially of the part that burned him. He comes back into town, has this crazy story, his shirt is all burned in this sort of double-imprinted grid and he's got a condition that's uncannily like radiation sickness.

The part that gets me is the grid is so, basic. I think the guy was building a reactor out in the woods. I talked to someone who wrote about it and actually visited the spot. It's by the lake, with a really steep rocky dropoff. The guy was a millwright from the Soviet bloc so it's not unreasonable he saw or even worked on one of their small reactors. I think he was building a reactor in the woods, accidentally let it go critical and it burned him. It would explain why the grid is burned in twice on his shirt - once initially and the second time as he tried to stop the reaction. The theory lines up neatly with radiation sickness, too. He came back into town already sick, but apparently it takes a day or two to develop symptoms - more than enough time to scuttle the reactor and draw up a whole bunch of sketches.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

See also any zombie apocalypse/comic book/alien invasion movie that features use of US military equipment.

Hollywood has a deal with the armed forces that any armed branch will gladly "donate" use of equipment on film free of charge, as long as the Pentagon has carte blanche authority on a scripts final draft. That means that this scene in Transformers was approved by the Pentagon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJbizELHYQ

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I don't think its a conspiracy theory but the argument that the military industrial complex is a scheme is totally correct.

I served in the Navy and the blatant corruption I saw on a daily basis pissed me off. I was very naive before joining and gradually became angered by what I saw. Defense contractors really run the show and they have a monopoly on the equipment so they can charge outrageous prices for outdated poo poo.

Nearly every part of my radar was designed in the 70s but Lockheed still charged 500,000+ dollars for parts that routinely broke and that was with trade in. The military ships them the broken part, pays 500,000 dollars for a "new" part, and the old part gets a new resistor worth 50 cents so lockheed can turn around and charge 500,000 for it again. We would frequently get "new" parts that were broken and introduced more faults into our system

The multi million dollar computer system I used to test my radar was an archaic attempt at a GUI from the late 80s and it took 20-30 minutes to reboot. It would frequently freeze up during routine tests and a reboot was often the only fix. A simple check that should only take a few minutes would often take 2 hours because the system would just hang up without providing any indication as to why. When the contractors who get paid to evaluate our systems would show up they'd just shrug and say "Haha, yeah, this system is just temperamental" and nothing would get fixed or updated.

When we did get upgrades to our system it would be a featute that was already available and cheap to the civilian world (flat screen displays) but about 100 times more expensive.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Ferguson PD murdered six Black Lives Matters protested. Ferguson PD shot and killed six black men before setting their cars on fire. Ferguson PD shot Darren Seals, DeAndre Joshua, Vincent "Vinnie" Casella, Darnell Johnson, Antonio Jones and Terrell Beasley, and torched them in their cars.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

They're charging all that money for nonsense and diverting the difference to pay for skunkworks neo tech

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ferguson PD murdered six Black Lives Matters protested. Ferguson PD shot and killed six black men before setting their cars on fire. Ferguson PD shot Darren Seals, DeAndre Joshua, Vincent "Vinnie" Casella, Darnell Johnson, Antonio Jones and Terrell Beasley, and torched them in their cars.

The govt killed journalist Michael Hastings by hacking his car and launching him full speed into a palm tree. He had already embarrassed military brass once and was on the verge of publishing a story about the government's surveillance infrastructure

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OMFG FURRY posted:

sorta. they were interested in psychological art for a couple reasons. my favorite pet theory is that by encouraging artists to abstract and distort visual information, they unknowingly helped research for "smart" weapons technology that the CIA gladly funded for a pittance

He's referring to the cia secretly funding modern art, which was widely disliked in the us, in order to make the soviets look old-fashioned and not innovative. This, among other things, created a big artificial bubble that persists today

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Osama bin laden, who was known to be in poor health prior to 9/11, died of natural causes in early December of 2001 and was buried in an unmarked grave in the desert. This was witnessed and confirmed by CIA agents who had arrived to visit his death bed in Kandahar shortly before the US invasion began in full.

The Bush administration largely kept his death a secret although it was reported in some local media and the story was picked up by a handful of western news outlets who quickly discredited the claims and moved on to portraying him as an elusive boogeyman who may or may not be dead. The administration planned to use a fabricated attack by US special forces to claim he was killed in a raid shortly before the 2004 election to bolster support for the wars and help win a second term, but decided to hold off and keep the plan in reserve for a future propaganda victory after Saddam Hussein was captured in December of 2003.

The Obama administration, facing public backlash over the Great Recession from occupy Wall Street and facing their own reelection battle in the coming year decided to put the original plan into action. Initial reports claimed he was killed by a helicopter gunship but the story quickly changed to an epic special forces raid complete with a Hollywood style action packed gunfight. The movie practically writes itself. And then they “buried him at sea” and released a single picture of some random dude with his face conveniently shot off as proof of their claims.

Also the seal team that did it all died in a mysterious "helicopter crash" like a month later

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

phasmid posted:

I think that's what he was saying. Although, the earth has been hit pretty much dead-on by a gamma ray burst from a dying star before and it hosed poo poo up bigtime. We must've been outside the main part of the burst or something, because how can that not turn a planet into a cinder?

We would see very little delay between the visible light and gamma rays because they're both EM radiation. Now that I think about it the gamma rays would probably actually arrive slightly before the visible light, if anything, because they wouldn't be slowed down as much by any intervening dust or gas or whatever. And if it were outside our galaxy it wouldn't pose a danger at all - it'd have to be within a few hundred light-years I think, and as far as I know there's not really anything likely to explode that close to us.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Everytime I board a plane I ask the pilot if they've ever seen a ufo. They always say no, but they chuckle nervously first... ...

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Elderbean posted:

A simple check that should only take a few minutes would often take 2 hours because the system would just hang up without providing any indication as to why.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Is it still a conspiracy theory if it's just one man?

No. The prefix con implies more than one.

Sorry, I'm a bitch about poo poo like that

We would see very little delay between the visible light and gamma rays because they're both EM radiation. Now that I think about it the gamma rays would probably actually arrive slightly before the visible light, if anything, because they wouldn't be slowed down as much by any intervening dust or gas or whatever. And if it were outside our galaxy it wouldn't pose a danger at all - it'd have to be within a few hundred light-years I think, and as far as I know there's not really anything likely to explode that close to us.

Makes sense. It's not like my eyes wouldn't melt before I had time to call the, uh,

Sucks to think that my last moments would be filled with such indecision instead of doing something enjoyable, like loving that absolutely slutty-smooth hole in that tree in the back yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

We are slowly being conditioned to accept a global culling of a large fraction of the population for the greater good. The FEMA death camp/mass grave thing several years ago The Avengers Infinity:War was a test to see how we'd react.

• Locked thread