Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow

One day nearer spring
"Wake up!"

this thread will end on sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Grab a brush and put a little make up

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

Grab a brush and put a little make up

Teddy runs his paws through the grass and pulls at some to make a brush but finds no makeup in the field around him, it feels strange... it's the first time teddy has been able to ever move... Teddy smells the grass and feels the breeze around himself

Robot Made of Meat

Look around.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Teddy stands up from the grass, his feet somewhat unsure at first. To his east he sees a river, wooded on the far side. To the south he sees more fields of grass. To the west he sees mountains looming above the horizon. To the north he sees forest, deep and dark and lush. Teddy thinks about makeup, he's not sure how he knows but someone who he loved used to love makeup. Teddy feels a distant memory that he can't quite reach...

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 6, 2018

Macnult

Frolic through the lands without thought until the distant memory approaches

Manifisto

Macnult posted:

but as we frolic, let's frolic towards the river

v excited for this thread, the last one was amazing

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Cast Spell:Prismatic Spray and banish the nightmares

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Macnult posted:

Manifisto posted:

but as we frolic, let's frolic towards the river

Teddy begins to run east towards the river, frolicking as he goes and enjoying the rush of the wind and cool whips of the grass on his fur. Memories begin to flicker, a little girl serving tea to a small group of stuffed animals set out on a blanket, a tuft of flowers placed at his side, a faint echo of laughter. Ahead something lies in the field and as Teddy approaches a feeling of dread creeps across him.

Something happened here long ago, bones litter the field, scattered amongst the grass and bleached white by the sun. A great war. Bright flashes, loud noises, the little girl running from her room and leaving Teddy behind, the memories fade and Teddy finds himself standing in the grass alone trying to forget what he'd just brought to the surface.

Splatmaster posted:

Cast Spell:Prismatic Spray and banish the nightmares

Teddy doesn't know any spells yet but he wishes he did.

Manifisto

whoa

any creatures about, great or small?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

whoa

any creatures about, great or small?

Teddy looks around for signs of life and spies a small snail crawling to the top of a nearby skull. The snail greets Teddy and pauses for a moment to rest saying it has been traveling for days in an attempt to reach the river's edge.

Manifisto

"we were just headed there ourselves! is this coincidence, or a sign? either way we'll be happy to give you a lift"

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

"we were just headed there ourselves! is this coincidence, or a sign? either way we'll be happy to give you a lift"

Small Snail climbs atop Teddy's head and expresses it's gratitude for the ride, saying what the bear can do in a few hours would have taken it another week. As the two walk through the meadow Small Snail speaks of the river ahead, saying it grew up on the banks listening to the stories of Old Turtle and dancing to the songs of the frogs and crickets. It tells of an ancient bridge to the northeast that used to cross to the other side, before time and the elements caused it to collapse, and of an abandoned cottage to the southeast that was littered with broken pottery and mouldering books.

alnilam

Is the cottage on the riverbank? I wanna go there but we have to get our friend to their destination too

Manifisto

:3:

I'm interested in seeing what the riverbank looks like, and then perhaps the cottage? what do other people think? either way we should see whether snail is interested in coming with

City of Glompton

let's go to the riverbank first. as we walk, we should look for a handy walking stick to help us on our way.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

City of Glompton posted:

let's go to the riverbank first. as we walk, we should look for a handy walking stick to help us on our way.

This, and could we please name the stick "Walter"? Walter the Walking Stick has a nice feel to it.

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

This, and could we please name the stick "Walter"? Walter the Walking Stick has a nice feel to it.

it does indeed

and if the snail needs a walking stick (why would a snail need a walking stick?) perhaps it could be shannon the shillelagh

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

Is the cottage on the riverbank? I wanna go there but we have to get our friend to their destination too

Small Snail tells Teddy the cottage is indeed located near the banks of the river

Manifisto posted:

:3:

I'm interested in seeing what the riverbank looks like, and then perhaps the cottage? what do other people think? either way we should see whether snail is interested in coming with

City of Glompton posted:

Splatmaster posted:

Manifisto posted:

it does indeed

and if the snail needs a walking stick (why would a snail need a walking stick?) perhaps it could be shannon the shillelagh

Teddy pauses for a moment and searches for a walking stick, finding a piece of cedar lying in the tangles. He lifts it proudly and tells the snail that his new stick shall be named Walter. The snail crawls down to Teddy's paw and chuckles to itself before remarking that if it could carry a stick like the bear then it would name it's stick Shannon. The two share a laugh before setting out east towards the river again, the snail inquiring about which part of the river Teddy wishes to see first.

Manifisto

which way does the river flow? if we start upriver we may have a chance of riding the current downriver, if the opportunity presents itself.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

which way does the river flow? if we start upriver we may have a chance of riding the current downriver, if the opportunity presents itself.

Small Snail tells Teddy that it's a tidal river which starts in the south east, flowing into the deep blue sea past the eastern shores. Depending on the tides the river flows either way. To the northeast the river is fed by freshwater streams, swamps, ponds and lakes which mixes with the salty ocean water and makes the majority of the river itself brackish water. A strong current makes the river tough to cross but during slack tides at it's high and low tides it is much easier.

Manifisto

okay if I understand this we can head southeast to check out the cottage (maybe walking along the river?) and depending on the tides may be able to ride it back the other way, at least for a bit? sound like a plan?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

okay if I understand this we can head southeast to check out the cottage (maybe walking along the river?) and depending on the tides may be able to ride it back the other way, at least for a bit? sound like a plan?

Teddy and the snail make their way southeast, the river coming into view after about an hour of walking. The two approach the remains of the run down cottage, the windows have all been long broken and the door is gone but the structure somehow still stands. Small Snail warns Teddy in a hushed breath that something is amiss as the normal sounds of the frogs and birds has been replaced with an eerie silence. Teddy grips his walking stick tightly and surveys the area.

Manifisto

:ohdear:

Manifisto

I am inclined to say "hello, anybody home?" in a falsely confident voice, whilst gripping Walter in preparation for the worst

City of Glompton

*whispers to Snail* Do you know any spells?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

I am inclined to say "hello, anybody home?" in a falsely confident voice, whilst gripping Walter in preparation for the worst

Teddy calls out towards the house and receives no answer but the continuing eerie silence...

City of Glompton posted:

*whispers to Snail* Do you know any spells?

Small Snail chuckles and replies to Teddy that of course it knows magic, every snail does. It says it can heal, cure or slow poison, entangle enemies, protect friends from evil, make friends stronger, create light and detect evil presences. Teddy feels a tingle on the top of his head, followed by the snail whispering to him that it just detected evil and found that recently something or someone very evil was inside the cottage. The snail is fairly confident whatever it was has left, but not before tainting the area.

alnilam

:ohdear:

alnilam

Ask our friebd to create light inside tje doorway and cautiously enter?

Robot Made of Meat

Luvcow posted:

Teddy calls out towards the house and receives no answer but the continuing eerie silence...

Small Snail chuckles and replies to Teddy that of course it knows magic, every snail does. It says it can heal, cure or slow poison, entangle enemies, protect friends from evil, make friends stronger, create light and detect evil presences. Teddy feels a tingle on the top of his head, followed by the snail whispering to him that it just detected evil and found that recently something or someone very evil was inside the cottage. The snail is fairly confident whatever it was has left, but not before tainting the area.

Politely ask Small Snail to cast Protect Friends from Evil, and perhaps Make Friends Stronger, if it's not too much trouble.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

Ask our friebd to create light inside tje doorway and cautiously enter?

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Politely ask Small Snail to cast Protect Friends from Evil, and perhaps Make Friends Stronger, if it's not too much trouble.

Teddy feels another tingle on his head and feels an incredible invigoration. Snail says that Teddy now has protection and strength but both will end when the sun sets. After another tingle the inside of the cottage illuminates and Teddy cautiously enters.

Inside lie scattered clay pots, mostly shattered, and several books strewn across the floor. On the far wall, scrawled in black paint lies a message which chills Teddy to his core, "I have the unicorn..."

Memories flood Teddy, of tea parties with the girl and the other stuffed animals, the unicorn always seated to Teddy's right, her aura of pureness and benevolence always making Teddy feel safe and welcome. Snail seems to understand and tells Teddy that he feels like the evil traveled north along the river when it left the cottage, but cautions that perhaps Teddy should not be foolish and follow.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
thanks to the few of you who tried and replied but this thread obviously sucks so i'ma close it.

mods please :gas: thread and ban op.

alnilam

it's good but you don't have to keep going if you're done w it

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

it's good but you don't have to keep going if you're done w it

a total of 6 people have responded, and i'm thankful they tried, but byob has spoken and that message has been received: byob thinks this thread sucks. i loved the idea but it seems i'm alone in that so no reason to keep trying to push it forward. i'm gonna head on home now :(

:gas:

and if no :gas: then just unstick and let the thread slowly sink down the page and disappear

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 7, 2018

Manifisto

the thread is great, I love it and hope against hope you change your mind and decide to continue it even a bit further, so we get some closure to the story.

byob works in fits and spurts, sometimes things are inexplicably fast-moving, sometimes they're very slow. imo you should not in any way take personally the rate at which people weigh in on a thread.

but whatever you decide, thanks for the thread so far, I've enjoyed the directions it's taken and would hate to see it peter out.

ty nesamdoom!

City of Glompton

oh no! i think Teddy Bear is v special and i'm really enjoying the story. it feels magical!

Robot Made of Meat

I'm enjoying the thread, the story, the pictures, and the ideas.

BYOB is one of the smallest, slowest moving forums there is, and you shouldn't get discouraged that responses don't come in very fast. It's your thread, and I'm sure it's a lot of work, so it's your call whether to close it, but don't think it's not appreciated.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
your cyoa threads are always amazing, luvcow. I love the storytelling in this one, and your art is wonderful as usual.

here are the reasons I haven't posted in this thread:

1. it's moving pretty fast for me to keep up
2. I'm scared of saying something dumb

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Please keep the thread going!

blaise rascal posted:

your cyoa threads are always amazing, luvcow. I love the storytelling in this one, and your art is wonderful as usual.

here are the reasons I haven't posted in this thread:

1. it's moving pretty fast for me to keep up
2. I'm scared of saying something dumb

is why I don't say much in these threads

and finally

Manifisto posted:

the thread is great, I love it and hope against hope you change your mind and decide to continue it even a bit further, so we get some closure to the story.

byob works in fits and spurts, sometimes things are inexplicably fast-moving, sometimes they're very slow. imo you should not in any way take personally the rate at which people weigh in on a thread.

but whatever you decide, thanks for the thread so far, I've enjoyed the directions it's taken and would hate to see it peter out.

:glomp:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
This thread is awesome and im sorry you feel bad about it luvcow, i think there are way more people following it than you think. I didn't reply because other people did first, and I didn't wanna overload.

• Locked thread