Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Wildstar has died at the age of 4 years, 3 months, surpassing everyone's expectations by clinging to life as a frito game for several years longer than anyone thought it could.

https://kotaku.com/wildstar-developer-carbine-studios-shuts-down-1828862729

Please spit on its corpse here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
While I only pretty much did the leveling process and then stopped playing after the first two months - it's always a bummer to see an MMO shut down and all the thousands of manhours spent creating content (both good and bad) are lost forever. Especially the Housing system, I was really hoping World of Warcraft would've implemented that by now. I guess Fallout 4 settlements sorta counts?

Hopefully, the people that were still working there will land on their feet.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Can someone post the winner gif?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
:rip:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Where's that attunement picture guide

e: got it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RIP Wildstar: a bad game

Really, Wildstar had some decent ideas that just got buried in its obsession with being SUPER HARDCORE!!!!! and it's kind of interesting to me how a game could be so promising and yet so obviously destined to be awful at the same time. Some of its kind of neat aspects include:
  • Every class has both a DPS and either a tank or healing spec, so there are no pure DPS classes.
  • "Paths" like Explorer, Scholar, and Soldier that give you bonus missions based on what kind of content you're most interested in.
  • Somewhat freeform character building like a single-class version of Guild Wars 1 or The Secret World.
  • Pretty decent-looking player housing.
And then all of that ended up being kind of half-baked and bundled into a game obsessed with 40-player raids, long and tedious attunement chains, interminable rep grinds, layers and layers of RNG, and the most grating, obnoxious attitude possible.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
If their end game attunement wasn't completely loving insane at launch, it would've done better.
Edit: Someone already did it.

For a themepark MMO (something I find to be inherently flawed), it was more enjoyable than the other ones.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 6, 2018

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

I played the beta and the intro and zone after bored me and my friend so much that we never played the game again. It allegedly got worse from there as well.

Should have died 3 years ago really, can't ever say this pile was even a remote success. The entire thing from start to end, including every single patch after launch, was a comedy of errors.

Crumpet fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 6, 2018

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I will eat a cupcake in memoriam.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

RIP Wildstar: a bad game

Really, Wildstar had some decent ideas that just got buried in its obsession with being SUPER HARDCORE!!!!! and it's kind of interesting to me how a game could be so promising and yet so obviously destined to be awful at the same time. Some of its kind of neat aspects include:
  • Every class has both a DPS and either a tank or healing spec, so there are no pure DPS classes.
  • "Paths" like Explorer, Scholar, and Soldier that give you bonus missions based on what kind of content you're most interested in.
  • Somewhat freeform character building like a single-class version of Guild Wars 1 or The Secret World.
  • Pretty decent-looking player housing.
And then all of that ended up being kind of half-baked and bundled into a game obsessed with 40-player raids, long and tedious attunement chains, interminable rep grinds, layers and layers of RNG, and the most grating, obnoxious attitude possible.
The only thing that lived up to its potential was housing. It was seriously awesome as hell and I don't think there's any MMO that comes close to the amount of control you had in Wildstar.

I assumed that when the ship started to sink they would go all-in on housing to get the casuals back, but alas.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Really, Wildstar had some decent ideas that just got buried in its obsession with being SUPER HARDCORE!!!!! and it's kind of interesting to me how a game could be so promising and yet so obviously destined to be awful at the same time.

It's a pretty classic case of a product being designed and released for a market that no longer existed. Subscription MMOs were already an archaic novelty by 2014, and an MMO that very clearly hated anyone looking to play it casually even moreso. I'll usually at least think about trying out a new MMO if it doesn't look like dogshit, but the aforementioned attunement chart steered me clear of ever even bothering to download the thing.

I don't think they were helped by their lack of a strong identity, either. Successful subscription MMOs in the post-WoW era have generally banked on having a unique twist to differentiate them from the rest of the pack: FFXIV is a Final Fantasy title with strong aesthetic presentation and a well-written story; Destiny is a sci-fi FPS game that can be played on consoles; Black Desert Online is a sandboxy MMO with an insanely intricate character creator; etc. Wildstar, right down to its aesthetics, was WoW with a sci-fi patina. At that point, unless just seeing a spaceship gives you a dopamine hit, you may as well just play WoW.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really really wanted to like this but it was just dogshit the entire way through

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mp5 posted:

Where's that attunement picture guide

e: got it

Like this gets posted as a joke, but I think the idea of having stuff like this is really cool. It shouldn't have been tied to end-game content, but MMOs should add all kinds of these weird things like that and just make some dumb cosmetic on the end. The actual idea of it is pretty neat, but they decided to go the dumbest possible route with it.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
had a lot of fun playing a giant rock man riding a motorcycle. that's about it. RIP

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wildstar was fun at launch up until it bugged and I lost my raid unlock progression half way through. Game could go get hosed after that.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
I played Wildstar during the launch and really enjoyed its story, art design, soundtrack and general feel. Then I reached max level and the non-grouped end game consisted of 2 worthless dailies in a recycled starting zone.
Funnily enough I didn't subscribe after the free 30 days was over. I haven't looked but imagine it must have gotten better since then - right? Either way I have some seriously mixed feelings about this. :suicide:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

It's a pretty classic case of a product being designed and released for a market that no longer existed. Subscription MMOs were already an archaic novelty by 2014, and an MMO that very clearly hated anyone looking to play it casually even moreso. I'll usually at least think about trying out a new MMO if it doesn't look like dogshit, but the aforementioned attunement chart steered me clear of ever even bothering to download the thing.

I don't think they were helped by their lack of a strong identity, either. Successful subscription MMOs in the post-WoW era have generally banked on having a unique twist to differentiate them from the rest of the pack: FFXIV is a Final Fantasy title with strong aesthetic presentation and a well-written story; Destiny is a sci-fi FPS game that can be played on consoles; Black Desert Online is a sandboxy MMO with an insanely intricate character creator; etc. Wildstar, right down to its aesthetics, was WoW with a sci-fi patina. At that point, unless just seeing a spaceship gives you a dopamine hit, you may as well just play WoW.

Among Wildstar's many missed opportunities was the failure to really embrace being a space science-fantasy setting. You're right that it ended up being WoW with a sci-fi coat of paint and part of the reason that happened was because it was all about being on one ultimately pretty mundane planet, with faction conflict, a similar sense of humor (but with the wacky dialed up to 11), an oh-so-goofy race of short and amoral scientists, but ultimately just a bunch of MMO zones that could've come right out of a WoW expansion.

It didn't necessarily need planet-hopping, but making the setting more, y'know, space-y and weird and unique would've gone a long way.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Harrow posted:

[*]Every class has both a DPS and either a tank or healing spec, so there are no pure DPS classes.

Man, Ragnarok Online 2 has this feature.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't mean to say that it's totally unique to Wildstar, just that it was a smart inclusion. Hell, Rift does the same thing, too, and is also a bad game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wildstar was fun at launch up until it bugged and I lost my raid unlock progression half way through. Game could go get hosed after that.

look at this casual not making a new character because the devs couldn't be bother to unfuck people who got broken

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Among Wildstar's many missed opportunities was the failure to really embrace being a space science-fantasy setting. You're right that it ended up being WoW with a sci-fi coat of paint and part of the reason that happened was because it was all about being on one ultimately pretty mundane planet, with faction conflict, a similar sense of humor (but with the wacky dialed up to 11), an oh-so-goofy race of short and amoral scientists, but ultimately just a bunch of MMO zones that could've come right out of a WoW expansion.

It didn't necessarily need planet-hopping, but making the setting more, y'know, space-y and weird and unique would've gone a long way.

just make some really weird poo poo, not FANTASY IN SPAAAAACE

also, lol at making content for the hardcore, the people who rush through the content that took you 6 months to make in a week and then yell at you for not giving them enough content

and then the casual people can't touch most of the content you put out

owns

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
My favorite Wildstar story was when they literally poached people from Blizzcon to show them upcoming content then forced them all to sign NDAs. I was told by a friend who went that it wasn't even that, but the devs basically asking their most hardcore fans how they could unfuck their game. I never bothered to actually get proof of this but I find his story hilarious so I choose to believe it. It's so very Carbine.

Other hilarity was when there was some exploit that totally broke the worst first raid race by letting you buy all the not-skill-points(Remember, you had to buy a ton of these with an endgame currency!) and the devs allowed the biggest guild to get away with it for some reason.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

God, I remember that. Didn't it turn out to be some bizarre client side issue, too?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Great news for the Wildstar community. I'm very happy for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1F0fx-rKDk&t=0m47s

Givin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 6, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Guess the MMO market was just too hardcore for the devs.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Man, I forgot about that smug-rear end gif

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
The best part of WildStar was watching it die. Thank you, WildStar

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
I played this game.

Then I got to the snow zone and quit forever.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
How did Wildstar get kept on life support for so long? It always made such miserable profits that it can't have covered employing 50-some people to keep it standing.

I'm trying to remember the full context for this. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • Wildstar advertises itself as a game for hardcore raiders featuring challenging 40 man raids.
  • Game actually launches; buggy and labyrinthine raid attunement process scares off many prospective raiders. (Some unlucky players get their character permanently stuck on this attunement quest and are told to reroll their character from scratch to "fix" it.)
  • Enough players complete the attunement and begin raid content. Developers monitor world first kills and then change several bosses to be mathematically impossible. This effectively disables part of the raid content.
  • Many months later, these bosses are patched to be mathematically possible to kill. The handful of loyal holdouts left finally complete this content.
  • The raid designer is asked how he feels about the raid being cleared for the first time. He posts that image in response.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 7, 2018

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

eonwe posted:

Like this gets posted as a joke, but I think the idea of having stuff like this is really cool. It shouldn't have been tied to end-game content, but MMOs should add all kinds of these weird things like that and just make some dumb cosmetic on the end. The actual idea of it is pretty neat, but they decided to go the dumbest possible route with it.

The Onyxia attunement chain for Alliance was cool and good and decently long and culminated in one of my favorite Classic WoW quests.

The Wildstar thing is just determined to be biggerer because "well that's how WoW did it back then and we all have fond memories of that right"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I liked the combat but everything else about the game was hot loving garbage poop.

Requiscat in Piss

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mizuti posted:

How did Wildstar get kept on life support for so long? It always made such miserable profits that it can't have covered employing 50-some people to keep it standing.

It was either a PR move to prevent another CoH debacle where they got thumped by the Western community, or they'd invested significant money into Wildstar/Carbine and wanted to wring as much blood from the stone as they could. MMO skeleton crews are pretty cheap, and I imagine it's only shutting down because numbers have become dire enough to not even pay for that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

It was either a PR move to prevent another CoH debacle where they got thumped by the Western community, or they'd invested significant money into Wildstar/Carbine and wanted to wring as much blood from the stone as they could. MMO skeleton crews are pretty cheap, and I imagine it's only shutting down because numbers have become dire enough to not even pay for that.
It's probably this. Launching free-to-play gave the game a solid shot in the arm to player population, but they seemingly had no real plans for future content. They basically pushed out what half-finished stuff they could manage, and I guess NCSoft kept the game going just until it was about to start costing them money.

It's worth noting that game had something absurd like a ten-year development cycle, so they had good reason for wanting to recoup what they could.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
City of Heroes died so this game could live

this game is now dead

bring back City of Heroes

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I still really like the style of this game which always gave me "literally Ratchet and Clank the MMO" vibes.

I also really liked the general concept of the classes - the Medic using weaponized holographic defibrillators, for example.

I always hoped they'd manage to pull their thumbs out of their rear end and have a FFXIV-esque revival, but who are we kidding with ncsoft lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jetamo posted:

I always hoped they'd manage to pull their thumbs out of their rear end and have a FFXIV-esque revival, but who are we kidding with ncsoft lmao

You don't do an FFXIV-esque revival unless the stakes are high enough. FFXIV was a main series title, and letting it sink unceremoniously into the bottom of the MMO sea would've done irreparable damage to the brand. I'm unsure if they ever went into specifics, but I doubt that FFXIV was actually making money over its investment cost throughout most of 2.X, if not 3.X.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hey remember when people here were trying to convince everyone this game was going to be great and then some layoffs happened but thats normal and then people realized the mechanics were poo poo and the designers were real bad and then the playerbase tanked but thats okay and then more layoffs happened but thats really, really normal and then there was like 200 people at most who gave a poo poo about this loving thing and they pulled the plug and not a single person in the goddamn world gave a gently caress

cupcake

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
like y'all remembering being all cozy with the designers who posted here and going "wow TRY YOUR HARDEST WE BELIEVE IN YOU" when it was 100% completely obvious to anyone not brain damaged that the game was a loving failure and total flop from the word go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panda clue
May 23, 2014
finally