Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
The old school mmo babies are obnoxious for sure but Wildstar really didnt give them what they wanted. The crazy hostility the developers demonstrated towards those people by constantly rebalancing raids to be impossible was definitely not what those people wanted. Its just another example of how hosed up Wildstar's management was, they even forgot to actually cater towards the demographic they marketed the game to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Still a shorter queue time than for Warfronts.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

They also botched the F2P launch worse than the initial launch.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

People playing Eve at this point are usually heavily invested in some corporate rivalry, have multiple well developed accounts and have been playing for a long time. Thats a pretty good formula for a stable player base, albeit one thats probably never going to grow. Eve and the weirdos who quit their job to play it all day are going to be around a long time.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Mizuti posted:

I just remembered that Wildstar changed around its core mechanics and at one point had over 20 secondary stats, including this gem.

I can imagine the meeting where this change came about. On one side of the table, some developers who wanted a simplified stat system using Assault/Support Power. On the other side devs who wants to make Wildstar more hardcore by adding more stats that are more complex and more redundant. In a stroke of brilliant leadership the lead developer who had to decide which proposed system to use decides to use both at the same time in a brilliant compromise that would set the tone for Wildstar's design decisions going forward.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That type of design dates back to EQ and The Sleeper and had aleays been weirdly popular.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Pierson posted:

Is there a general term for those older styles of MMO like Everquest/FF11, the way we call WoW/FF14/etc 'themepark MMOs'?

Virtual worlds? Ive seen that a few times but I dont know if its really common.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

lol if you posted:

they used to be called "dikus" because the quest hub and 'collect 10 bear assholes' quest style came from DikuMUD

I dont think DikuMUD was like this at all. Most MUDs had very limited questing if any at all and progression usually revolved around grinding.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Was Horizons the fetus catapult game? I can never forget which game promised that because that was the era when developers would promise potential players anything and everything to sell preorders.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I think the SoA thread lead to Lum taking his ball and going to Reddit, sadly. Its always interesting to see his rantings from back in the day along with the other "MMO ranters" like Tweety who were basically bloggers before blogging was a thing.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont think anyone could have anticipated just how popular WoW was though. At the time of its launch EQ was considered a massive success when it hit 500,000 subscribers. WoW completely redefined what it meant for an MMO to be successful.

Also has anyone checked in on /r/Wildstar? Is there anyone even left to be put on suicide watch?

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 26, 2018

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Asimo posted:

Good news, the second you left the tutorial it was functionally indistinguishable from WoW, with random fantasy_race settlements and elementals and ancient magic and whatever! :downs:

It did have these weird moments where they actually realized their sci-fi setting. Like shiphands and that moon zone with low gravity. Those just made the game all the more frustrating since after visiting one of those zones that actually kind of lived up to the hype about the game's setting. It just made the game more disappoint though since those zones were relatively short and usually followed by a rather generic fantasy zone ripped straight out of WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Face of Mankind was actually a serious attempt at an MMO and not some kind of weird digital performance art? Im struggling to believe this.