Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Why is this stupid show so much fun and why can't I stop watching it.

I'm also glad to learn I'm not the only one who saw it and went "oh this is just Star Trek: Alec Baldwin".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rocksicles posted:

"I'm ADAM Baldwin"

Funnily enough I thought it was Adam but the OP said Alec so I corrected myself. That's what I get for trusting you, HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE :argh:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Binary Logic posted:

This second episode is why. Naval tactics we don't get to see anywhere else.
I have no idea if what they do is technically plausible but they really sell it.

Yeah I was worried this season would have a slow start but nope glad I was wrong about that.

They do seem to make odd minor technical errors post-S2 (the corvette was in front of them, facing to their port, but it looked like that shell flew in from due starboard?) but so long as they don't do anything as egregious as the season 3 finale again I don't care, it's close enough.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The opening missile got CIWS'ed and the torpedo was Eddy'ed (:rip:) but at one point the corvette fired its deck gun and the shell hit the Nathan James from completely the wrong angle. I assume they're just giving the FX guys general instructions without somebody storyboarding who's at what angle in any given shot. It just sticks out way more given how much attention to detail they usually pay.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Grandma Panic! posted:

Well that kinda came out nowhere. I'm glad they are still managing with a limited budget at least.

As soon as they said "it was a shell" I guessed it was in fact an Iowa, then went "nah that'd be too insane", and nope they went there. Whatever genre this show counts as it's the best ever.

I am legit hoping they wind up just stealing the thing and use that instead. Knowing this series it's going to somehow be a bootleg built off of the original blueprints. You'd think someone would have reported one being stolen.

Kinda disappointed in the resolution to the virus thing though, even if the actual attack vector was way more clever than I was expecting.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

jfood posted:

someone in the writer's room wanted to film a long montage of a gunfight, plus 'murica actual getting yelled at for being a bad dad. they also wanted this set to cheesey as gently caress 'metal' music usually played over the ending credits of a japanese manga.

everyone else agreed. that so loving rules.

Somehow the most incredible thing this show has done yet.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Speaking of cloaking devices, I am very excited to find out what the deal is with that Iowa. I've got my fingers crossed for something completely off the wall like it's submersible now.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It could still be a replica built off of the original blueprints :v: I assume by this point the protaganists are so used to insanity that they just don’t care anymore.

I’m not sure what to think of that scene with Chandler. I would have gone with hallucination but they kept the camera on the ship for quite a while. Computer Nerd Ensign whose name I can’t ever remember did seem oddly nervous during the jamming scene, too, like he knew something was up, but then that seems at odds with the rest of his character. And though it probably is some kind of trick, something fired those shells at the James, but maybe they just have an old coastal battery?

I also couldn’t tell if that Iowa was one of the ones that had Harpoons etc. retrofitted onto it. I’m assuming no.

I’m pretty confident that it’ll all get neatly resolved, I’m just pleasantly surprised that it’s still a surprise of some kind.

Besides the S4 finale had them boarding an Iowa, 5” guns visible in some shots and everything, so there’s precedent of budget shortfalls!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Creamed Cormp posted:

I was much more annoyed by the gunfight involving 50 people on a field about 100 meters by 100 meters, and by the Abrams shells being as powerful as a strong firecracker. But we got to see Wolf bayonet some dudes so it was worth it.

Honestly given the constraints it seems this show has to work under that was a reasonably impressively detailed battlefield despite the nonsensical scale. The only part that got me was that the Americans never bothered setting up one guy with a decent scope to just snipe that .50 gunner in the tower. But whatever, it served the narrative well.

And I guess that doubly-confirms the Iowa is a real thing. I'm sure those TLAMs all missed though, that has to be the season finale.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

BattleMaster posted:

Chandler's vision of the Iowa aiming and firing could have been his imagination and the Iowa is still just an electronic warfare trick covering for shore batteries or artillery emplacements :tinfoil:

At this point I will immediately believe that Chandler has some kind of boat-specific ESP and if they sat him down at the James' fire control he could probably successfully reenact the grid scene from Battleship.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Octavio calling Chandler Captain America was great. As was murdering a man with a tiny model ship.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I see the jury is still out on Iowa Is Not Real vs Boat ESP. And was that a random train sound effect in the dinner scene for added drama? What?

BattleMaster posted:

I'm gonna miss this dumb show when it's over.

Very same.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Well holy poo poo. That was one hell of a ride. And that ending basically seals this show as Star Trek But With Boats.

I'm gonna miss this dumb show now :patriot:. Real glad I took a chance on watching it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Spent that entire part of the episode going "I wonder if they'll...". They did. It was excellent.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I like that they specifically mention that they wanted to show a “real” conflict and not S1’s all big hero stuff. The way the show transformed over time was real cool. I also agree that it feels like it ended in a good place. And that poo poo about Bren/Wolf, Jesus.

Still no explanation of that Iowa though so until they say otherwise I’m going to assume that Chandler’s hatred of his own heroics spontaneously conjured the greatest foil to him possible out of nothing, which is why only he could tell it was there until it got into visual range. The Iowa was never Cuban, or Columbian, it was Chandlerian.

Thinking about it that does make his actions at the end even more appropriately symbolic. I wonder if that’s actually what they had in mind and just didn’t want to say out loud because it would be rather out of place.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rocksicles posted:

It was the best scene theany show has ever done and you should be thankful.

:colbert:

Whatever the opposite of high art is (low art?) that scene was that. But maybe I just love absurdism a little too much.

Also Vampire is the brevity code for unknown/hostile anti-ship missile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I read that as more her being all "you guys don't have a miracle handy this time?" but even with your version her character still came a huge way since season 1. I'm a huge fan of how everybody changed over the years, they didn't really let anyone stay static. Maybe except Slattery but I suspect they just told Adam Baldwin to play his vision of himself and let that work itself out.

• Locked thread