Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was looking for another good D&D podcast after catching up with the current season of "Dragon Friends" (bar the Tomb of Annihilation videos), and after trying a few other ones this has definitely caught my interest pretty much straight away. I'm only 3 episodes deep, but the cast seem to be having a blast and everyone seems to have created really fun characters. Beverly being Caldwell's attempt to make an eternally "good boy" shonen protagonist makes a lot of sense now that I've heard him talk about it in the first bonus episode and the interactions are nearly always gold. Hardwon failing every action after making dramatic statements of confidence is great for instance. I'm delighted to have a few dozen episodes worth of content to catch up on. That said, is there a catch-all D&D podcasts thread or anything since I don't see one in the live forums on a quick scan and I'm wondering which other ones might be worth a shot. I've tried a few others, but don't want to get in to specifics if there's a better thread to talk about it in.

On a more relevant topic, the OP specified that Brian Murphy created the world of Bahumia specifically for this adventure and I'm just wondering to what extent he's created new elements? I'm not a D&D player, but I have some passing familiarity with the parts Gygax and his successors created from general nerd osmosis and through listening to various D&D podcasts but I've never heard of Crick Elves for instance; so were they a new thing he created or just a more obscure element of the general D&D setting that he imported? "City" halflings are obviously new, and the towns and campaign story are presumably his creations too but I'm just kind of unclear on how much is stuff he's created specifically for this adventure and would like some clarification I guess.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, after 11 episodes I am loving the poo poo out of this show. Hardwon having a buff off with a barbarian for ownership of the phrase "watch this!" and finally actually managing something impressive after failing consistently before that, Moonshine rolling 3 1's in a row to turn a quick epilogue moment to wrap up Moonstone in to a battle, Beverly's slow descent in hosed up poo poo, Denny being a complete piece of poo poo all the time; it's great. Plus, as of the latest arc I've listened to I have to say Orc Fraiser Crane in fitted armor is such a great character basis; Adam's voice suits the idea pretty well too. That the arc is delving in to implanted memories only makes it better. Can't wait to get to the Beverly's dad, Hardwon's parents, the Crick and meeting the 3 legendary heroes. That Brian has to write down every stupid off the cuff idea Emily comes up with for the Crick just so he can make the place authentic when they get their is great too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's cool that what is primarily a vehicle for comedy silliness can still have genuine emotional pathos at times. I listened to episode 14 or 15 yesterday, where at the end Hardwon is told that his father was an airship pilot, and the pause after he's told it is amazing. As is his line that he was down in the mountain while his father was in the sky. Beverly finding the scrapped versions of his dad's letter was great too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Farg posted:

Just finished the crick arc, this show rules, balnor rules

When I got to the end of the Crick arc the other day and Murph started describing Maribelle's past and how she wasn't the shitheel she seemed I was legit crying for about 5/10 minutes through the whole thing. It was pretty cliche, but the build up and the gang's silence through basically the whole thing was really emotive.

I love that Murph is building up a continuous plot for each member of the Band of Boobs too. Hardwon found out who his parents were and has inherited his father's ship but condemned his mom's soul to eternal damnation and needs to go see a God to try and win her peace and the current arc centers around his love life, Bev probably needs to rescue his father from the Feywild and his home city is being held by a faux-God and Moonshine has just learned the Crick Elves have abandoned the Crick out of fear of Thiala and the Crick may never be there home again if they don't stop her. The gang can go have a few episodes of silly fun adventures where they just act like total idiots but Murph has built up enough storylines around the poo poo they say that he can spin something out that ties in to one or more of them for a few episodes too and if the past is anything to go by, when each character does wrap up one part of their past he'll just move things around so they'll always have a personal goal of some kind.

It also helps that the players get so in to their characters. Jake admitting that Hardwon's peevishness about the Ice Dwarves in the latest episode was partly based on how he thought his character would react and partly based on his own feelings for them after how things have gone for Hardwon is a good indication of how they all seem to view the entire thing.

NeuroticLich posted:

Here, people are rolling death saving throws fairly often. Which isn't necessarily a slight against TAZ, because I love TAZ and it's different styles of play and storytelling, but it really makes me fear for the character's at points.

I caught up on the show in the last day or two and by the end of one of the latest episodes all 3 core members were having to make death saving throws, as was Balnor and the guest was the only one on her feet. By the end even she was only just barely squeaking through alive. It was fairly funny that almost every move in a round was "roll your death saving throw".

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 7, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Double posting with a quick question I forgot to include last time. Murph mentions another podcast called "Dimension 20" during the latest episode that he's playing with a different DM and I can't find it so I was wondering if it's going under a different name or not released on the app I use or something. I use Pocket Cast for reference.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The first half of the season will apparently be on youtube for free and the second half will require you to go to their service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZxCVBi7-k

Dropout's not available in my region yet, but the first episode is strong enough that I'd subscribe just for the rest if it were. It's not just Murph playing from Not Another D'n'D podcast by the way, Emily (Moonshine) and Siobhán (Apple Scrumper) are there too, playing vastly different but fun characters.

Murph is playing a wannabe detective rogue Goblin with an actual detective mom who's socially awkward and thinks being "professional" (ie handing out business cards) will get him friends, Emily is playing an Elf who found out she's half demon when she started growing horns and has turned from a sweet child in to a rebellious teen bard who plays bass because of it and Siobhán is playing a rich and connected but anxious Elf caster who failed the exams for the expected rich girl school due to a panic attack and has to slum it in the poor, adventurer school because of it while her family treats her like a disappointing poo poo.

There's also the priveliged son of an ex-pirate, a bible thumping hippie who wants to fit in with the bad kids to spread the good word and an Orc adopted by gnomes with anger issues. The show spent most of the first episode introducing everyone and giving them some time alone to set up their character's personality and circumstances (that's the first 50 minutes) and then bringing them all together, but it's good fun throughout.

Also, regarding this week's episode of NADDpod; that's definitely not how I expected this to go wrong. Strong stuff from everyone though; including Balnor, who's now officially a boob. Can't wait for next week already.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inzombiac posted:

So did I!
It's very relatable and I'm not sure what that says about my relationship.

I've never even been in a serious, long term relationship and I found the first two episodes really funny and the characters relatable since so much of them is about how aging and maturing changes you and finding it hard to reconcile those changes with your own self image. It veers towards awkward humor a few times, which isn't for me personally, but it never indulges overly in it (so far at least), so I'm definitely going to be watching the rest soon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Random Stranger posted:

drat it, I really wanted Balnor to actually be a WWI submarine captain.

I'm kind of glad honestly, because while that was enjoyable as a joke it'd be kind of worthless as a narrative element. Murph couldn't really do much with it if he included it, without really warping the fabric of the setting and changing the tone. Making it a more prosaic backstory means he could give Balnor a named enemy to want revenge on for this arc, and an overall goal. Which is nice. Besides, Jake already said in the "Short Rest" that he has no intention of dropping the WWI jokes, so we kind of get the best of both worlds really. Also, I'm kind of disappointed Bev took the armor once the curse was lifted, and that the Band of Boobs didn't give it to Balnor. Or that Alannis didn't have a cool, new trinket for him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The "Short Rest" was better than the main NADDPod episode this week (last week now, I guess?). Not that the main episode was bad, because it was still very good, especially the cast playing off the ghost girl Murph played and everything going so wrong with the main fight and dragging it out for so long, but Murph's explosive reaction when Emily compared him to a city pigeon while calling Jake a hawk was great. He was just so upset, and Emily had to work so hard to justify it the whole episode. It felt like the whole thing was one long off-topic ramble too. Which I'm absolutely up for, because I'm so invested in this now I'd listen to them talk about anything really.

That said, Murph saying that the ghost girl "shakes her head, yes" is just weird. Why not just call it nodding?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sweet, didn't know there was some pre-existing shorts. Thanks for the link.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not Operator posted:

Amazing. It was such a long pause.

Yea, as soon as he didn't answer immediately it was obvious what was going on. The fact Moonshine just immediately jumps to stab him after it is still hilarious though. No hesitation, no prevarication, just "I stab him". The Short Rest basically turning in to a pile on, where the 3 players take the piss out of him for it was great too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there much in the way of mixed bags to go through if I plump for it? I probably will regardless, because listening to those 4 idiots chat is great, but just curious really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is any/much of "8 Bit Book Club" worth listening to, in terms of build up to NADDPod? I've subscribed to it with months, but between catching up on NADDPod, catching up on Critical Role (well, the second campaign anway; not touching campaign one just yet) and a few other, shorter, non-D'n'D podcasts I haven't even touched it yet and nothing jumped out as particularly "must listen" from the episode names.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 27, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Farg posted:

this entire date sequence is incredible

Hardwon asking Moonshine how she brought Triss to the edge in an awkward "I don't know this, but don't want to admit I don't know it, so let's compare notes" was fantastic. It's amazing how deep Jake has fallen in to the character after, what, one year of RP? That said, when I was listening to the Short Rest and they were discussing the date I started thinking how weird it must be to even act out being in love with a fictional character, who only really exists in discussion and not even as someone you can act against. Then they started discussing exactly that; though as they pointed out, Erlin does exist as Murph. Who is presumably one of Caldwell's best friends. Which, I don't know is that more or less weird really?

Also, I don't actually play any D'n'D and never really have, so I'm only going off superficial impressions here and can only really compare Murph's style to Caldwell, Matt Mercer (Critical Role) and Chris Perkins (Acq Inc), but Murph seems to use more variety in his encounters and the main "battle" in this weeks episode was a good example. The entire thing just being the Band of Boobs having to control an airship with rolls for how damaged it was depending on what actions they took was pretty cool.

Caldwell is interesting as a contrast, since he's more willing to roll with the gang's dumb poo poo and just incorporate it in to his game, with the Trinstagram stuff being the most obvious example and including it's own little game to indicate how well the cast are doing on it but Murph seems to have a really good balance between story and mechanics as well as between letting the players gently caress around and pushing them towards more dramatic/emotive stuff when they've been goofing around for a while.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sexpig by night posted:

Though at least compared to the others he's not working with an unreasonably big party (CR) or a constant time limit looming over the session (AI) so I can see how he can stretch his legs more.

My impression was that the Band of Boobs was actually unusually small by D'n'D party standards, and that's why Murph is so willing to give them NPCs that tag along for fights; so he can fill in the missing roles most parties would have. At least, that's kind of the impression built up over the course of the Short Rests. I take it 4 to 5 is the usual amount then, and that 6 or 7 like Critical Role has is an unusual top line?

Also, I'm listening to the Trinyvale "Medium Rest" Mixed Bag and it's just make me wonder whether I'd like to get a Emily or Jake DM game first. I think Jake has mentioned DM'ing for curious friends and family in some of the Short Rests, and Emily comes off as someone who would never want to DM going by how codependent she's said all her characters are and how much she just loves loving around with others as a game so Jake is probably the likelier choice but Emily seems like she'd just be more fun as a DM at the same time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 1, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Never even heard of Critical Hit before, but it must be fairly popular because looking it up it has nearly 500 episodes. Did one of the NADDPod group guest on the episode to say you mentioned it, out of interest? What kind of podcast is it? Another comedy focused one? Mostly drama? I'm 43 episodes in to campaign two (though I haven't even touched campaign one for the moment) of Critical Roll now, and caught up on NADDPod, Acq Inc and Dragon Friends so I could always use another good D'n'D podcast to keep me entertained and will probably try it regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inzombiac posted:

Have you tried The Glass Cannon?

No, but I've added it to my list of subscribed casts so when I finish catching up on season two of Critical Role in a few weeks I might try that. Along with Critical Hit. I've already got a few others I must try out at some point: "High Rollers" and "Rivals of Waterdeep" (though I can't even remember if someone recommended that or I just came across the name when searching for other Waterdeep stuff) at the very least. I should give "D'n'D is for Nerds" and "The Adventure Zone" another shot at some point too. I tried one episode of "D'n'D is for Nerds" and couldn't even finish it as I vaguely recall, though I can't remember why. I tried 3 or 4 episodes of "The Adventure Zone" and just couldn't get in to it, but maybe the later stuff won't be as annoying/off-putting? Again, I don't even remember exactly what I disliked; just that I found one guy's affected voice kind of annoying. He did address that in one of the episodes, but just to say that some people found it offensive (I think it was kind of stereotypically gay sounding or something), but I don't recall if he actually stopped using it or tried to broaden it a bit or what. I've tried a short bit of "Broadswords" and another show called "Waterdeep Mountain High" too, and was really annoyed that "Waterdeep Mountain High" just wasn't that funny, because the premise of D'n'D high school hijinx is pretty good. Thankfully Murph, Emily, Siobhan Thompson etc. did it far better in "Fantasy High".

Edit: Also, I haven't even finished this week's episode of NADDPod yet, but there's already a gem in the first few minutes with Jake going "Hardwon just stares straight at the wheel; he's shaken to his soul" after Moonshine wildshapes to have a goat chin/beard.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 4, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

El Padrino posted:

Also, oof, that fight with the Unseely Queen was rough

I thought you just meant it'd be a rough fight physically, but you weren't kidding. It was rough in just about every single way possible. All 3 core cast were given dramatic and emotional revelations, Bev rolled two death saves in a row and died twice in quick succession, Hardwon rolled like dogshit multiple times, Queen Ezra dispelled Moonshine several spells in a row; basically everything that could go wrong, did. Though I did love Moonshine causing a distraction and sacrificing the Nannerflies so she could get a spell off, only for Murph to break character (if the DM can be considered a character) and tell her Ezra was out of dispells and what she'd done was completely unnecessary. Even saving Lesteborn may not work out despite all their work. Rough poo poo. Really looking forward to some of the fallout for the next week or two before they put NADDPod on break for a fortnight. Next arc basically has to be Shadowfell to rescue Hardwon's mom at this point. Which means they pretty much have to meet Kord. I wonder if Hardwon will actually fight him?

What a week for them not to be able to record the Short Rest for a few days. Hope they don't forget too much when they do get around to recording it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 5, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I had actually subscribed to it already after searching for The Glass Cannon and having that come up too, for much the same reason you listed; I've already got a lot of fantasy RPGs to enjoy so a sci-fi one stood out as something that might be worth a listen for the sake of variety.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was such a good episode. Galad Rosell being king of the undead and holding ghost mom hostage is so disgusting.

Much as it'll be nice to see Hardwon interact with Galad given those stakes, I think I'm honestly more excited to hear Galad and Moonshine argue over Rosaline. Speaking of, did Moonshine ever find out what filling it with 3 charges actually does? I thought Murph mentioned it needing the 3 charges to be able to listen in on people or something, but that seems kind of over complicated for the process to listen in; like Galad would have trouble organizing a listen if he ever found it necessary.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So, she could make it have baby swords now? Maybe she could make one for Bev's dad and a few other allies as a long distance means of communication, since I don't think any of the party have sending. The BoB do have a sending stone, but that seems to have just become their music box for flavor jokes at this point. Also, this just reminded me of another small thing I'd noticed. I recall at some point that Murph realized Jake was using his luck points wrong, and that he had to declare he was going to use a luck point before a roll rather than after it. Which Jake then did for one episode, before reverting to type. Did I just imagine that, or did they just decide that they'd go with a house ruling of letting Jake do it afterwards does anyone know?

Also, also, since this has just become a rambly post of me thinking of small questions at this point: I wonder if Moonshine is going to go for more Barbarian levels next, or go for more druid ones. She mentioned in the Crick arc she didn't want to awaken Pawpaw, but half as a joke and I've been hoping for awakened Pawpaw at some point. Which, if she levels up as a druid after this arc, she could do from what I gather looking at some DnD spell poo poo (first 5th level spell slot is at 9th level from what I'm reading?). I'd kind of miss the squeek jokes though at the same time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 10, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Not Operator posted:

Yeah, this happened. I have no idea what the actual ruling is, but I remember it as they were told they were doing it wrong and changed it, then told actually they were doing it right and changed it back, then basically vowed to never speak of it again/please don't @ me.

Huh, must have been zoned out the second time they talked about it. Thanks for the clarification. Anyway, speaking of Bev Sr, Caldwell talks about changing Beverly to be a revenge/manhunt focused Paladin and that strikes me a little odd. He doesn't really come off as angry or obsessed with anything after finding out about his dad's deal with Akarot, so much as disappointed and disillusioned. I had assumed the Grey Knight thing would just involve some changing of flavor text, but he's going full edgy teen with the character by the sounds of the Short Rest. Which, I don't really mind, since he sounds like he's having fun with the concept, but the direction does still seem incongruous to me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inzombiac posted:

I like to think the people that live a lot longer than others will often refer to themselves as an age that makes relative sense.

So an elf at 100 who could live to 400 would tell a human they are 25.

That doesn't really make any sense though, because a year is based on solar cycles and not on social or cultural mores. I could see a 100 year old Elf saying they're a teenager, which is a cultural thing, but not that they're 25. Because they're not. They're 100. Culture doesn't change that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StalkofWheat posted:

If you haven't heard the Metal City Mayhem saga then you're missing out on some truly great podcasting content. I want them to make Jake experience it on a future Mixed Bag someday.

I listened to two episodes of "8 Bit Bookclub" over the last few days; the one where they talk about the then upcoming NaddPod and the first of the Metal City Mayhem episodes, based on this recommendation. I loved the first, which had a lot of the energy of NaddPod, but wasn't a big fan of the Metal City Mayhem episode. It managed what I'd have thought impossible before this point for one, which is to say that it made Emily kind of annoying. It was kind of deliberate on her part, since she outright says at various times that she's trying to annoy Murph by voting for slow or silly options when they come to a choice in Choose Your Own Adventure novel, but her constantly asking "Can we stop and think about things?" for almost every single choice is flat out irritating after a while. I'm gonna listen to at the least the second episode of it, along with the previously recommended Zelda one and maybe one or two others, but that one episode didn't do anything for me at the very least. I guess I didn't find the cast's interactions to be as humorous in this setting as they are in NaddPod, so the whole thing felt very slow and plodding for large parts.

That aside, the discussion in the other episode almost immediately side-tracking in to talking about how absorbent tampons are and what they could do to test them only seconds after Murph announces they're making a D'n'D Podcast is so completely on brand that I immediately loved that episode. The best bit though was probably when Emily was breaking down her character and the Crick; you could almost hear Murph realizing that he'd possibly let her get away with too much when deciding who she was going to be and what she wanted in that part of the setting. Or Jake talking about how he'd finagled his way in to the whole endeavor simply by approaching Murph at a caroling party and asking him about D'n'D. The whole episode is fun as gently caress, and I'd definitely recommend it to any fans of NaddPod who haven't listened to any of the "8 Bit Bookclub" episodes. The rest of the gang help Jake decide what class Hardwon is going to be during the episode too, along with christening some of his epithet's (Bastard of the Mountain for instance). It helped illuminate something that had always escaped me too; namely why Murph calls himself the "direct messenger" during the start of the Short Rests. Turns out it's just a running joke from Jake not knowing what a DM is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 1, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm listening to the second episode of Metal City Mayhem at the moment (well, I'm about half way in, but interrupted it to listen to this week's Nando v Movies podcast), and still not really feeling it but I'll try that one as well. I gather this one is kind of unusual in that it's a CYOA book they're live-reading, where most are things they all read before hand and then chat about during the podcast? That's the implication from their discussion at least. That said, I'm probably going to listen to the episode about Moebius lore as well, just because that sounds like it has the potential to be good.

Also, this week's episode of NaddPod was great. Murph forcing Jake to roleplay his own evil twin was great. As were the suave vampire douches, and Murph's idiot villager. I'm presuming the sniper is the guest they spoke about bringing on (can't recall who it was), so next week should be good too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know why Fantasy High in particular made me notice this, but pretty much every DM for a live play podcast or video stream seems to say "You see..." a lot. As in, it's how they start every other sentence that way at times.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The doppleganger wasn't a mist vampire, it was an adult oblex; which is basically a memory vampire going by information on it. It's goal was just to hang around them long enough that it could syphon off their memories presumably. It seemed capable of learning information and memories with attacking too; even if it needed to essentially attack them in some manner to leech the memories permanently.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

VaultAggie posted:

I think people blamed her for the tidal wave and “ruining” the diplomacy. Which is dumb, because Deadeye was already sabotaging the diplomacy anyway.

Didn't she double check with everyone whether to actually do it before hand, because she had originally planned to be something had just happened to make it seem kind of silly; with everyone else chiming in that they wanted her to, because it'd be fun regardless of how much it hosed with what was happening? I feel like that was the order of events at least, though I'd have to re-listen to it to make find out for definite.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm only a few seconds in to the latest episode, but it's so loving weird to hear Jake introducing himself as someone other than Hardwon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TakenForGranite posted:

Yeah it's kind of hilarious how overpowered the gunslinger subclass is. You saw it for years in critical role with Percy, and Deadeye is really no different. I actually guffawed when his rifle was just a re-skin of Bad News, too.

I think it's more that Brennan knows the game inside out, and optimized a character out the rear end to be a high damage dealer. Which created a character that Murph really doesn't know how to fold in to his game comfortably because Emily, Jake & Caldwell are so laid back and don't really care about that stuff. Even from a lore standpoint, he created Deadeye with a plethora of callbacks and ties to the cast and their adventure. Which I found kind of cool at first, but which started to get annoying when he just kept revealing that Deadeye was related to them in this way too, or had met this other character they'd interacted with as well. It's obvious Brennan is a big fan of the show, but I do think he went overboard with tying Deadeye in to their adventures and that it probably serves as a good metaphor for Brennan's playstyle as a whole.

That said: I am kind of curious about the "hollow one" race Deadeye is. I don't see any information about it online, so all I know is what Brennan said, and that Mercer created it. It's presumably just a zombie analogue, but I do wonder if leaning so hard in to it was Brennan's own doing or if that's exactly what it is all along for instance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I just re-listened to the Crickmas episode because I'd spotted a short rest for it when looking through the available content after signing up for the Mixed Bag level tier and not being sure if I'd listened to that before, and it's making me remember that the team have already killed Galad not once, but twice; so now they're going for that hat-trick. I wonder what else they can take away from him now, given they've already taken Rosaline and Razorlight, along with his dignity given he offered to suck Hardwon's dick to live.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don’t know how it’s gonna shake out once the arc is over, but I’m glad they’re rolling with vampire Hardwon

I don't know if you listen to the Short Rests, but during the latest one Jake said that he didn't want Hardwon to continue being a vampire, so he's probably going to go with a reincarnate. They did discuss that Jake would get bored or resentful if he ended up as a race he didn't like though, which essentially boils down to "any shorties"; their solution being to remove classes like Gnomes, Dwarves etc. and put in larger classes from the extended D'n'D 5th Edition. Which ones they'll include wasn't stated, but looking it up there's loads to choose from. They did mention a few during general discussion though, like Goliaths and Genassi; both of which Jake seemed interested in. As is, yeah, I'm glad they're having fun with it. Hardwon taking every chance to show off and turn in to a bat is great, as is him carving a picture in to his coffin after the whole crew go to sleep in it. Though it did make me wonder how they're transporting that around. I'd assume the bag of holding isn't big enough to fit an entire coffin.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In furtherance of that discussion, if they go the route of reincarnating Hardwon, what races would people more familiar with D'n'D like to see him as, or what races do you think it's likely Murph and Jake will place on the reincarnate roulette wheel? As I said, I tried looking it up myself out of curiosity, to see what races might be possible, but the D'n'D wikias and info pages are filled with loving dozens of possible races and since I don't play, I'm not familiar with how well known or liked a lot of them are.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think a lot of the entertainment and dramatic value of having a full on Elf in the party is already going to be filled by Moonshine when she meets her dad. They've mentioned that the upcoming one shots for live shows will be taking alternate routes on past decisions, so I'd love to see one that picks up immediately after the reincarnation spell turns Hardwon in to a Gnome. I know he'd hate playing one for any real length of time, but for one 1.5/2 hour show, it seems like a comedy goldmine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Similarly, of course Emily is a drunken master hairdresser trying to get over a bad breakup. As soon as I read the line "There’s an alcoholic hair dresser trying to drown away memories of her ex who’s also a monk focused on the Way of the Drunken Master." I knew, yeah, that's Emily's character. I'm still hoping she gets to play a Lucha skeleton at some point.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 10, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Farg posted:

the party just got played so hard in that zone of truth I just know it

Surely no-one with a pet that cute would ever be a bad person. It's hilarious that Murph now knows exactly how to manipulate them, and is openly admitting it when they call him on it in the Short Rest. That said, I don't really see why the necromancer would betray them or be a bad guy in disguise, because there's already enough drama through him with his relationship to Moonshine's father and the fact he inadvertently caused a rift between the father and Jolene that's affecting the Crick Elves present situation and he's already acting as the gateway to action with a new group in the Gravediggers. Any extra drama or action he can offer by making him a betrayer seems like it'd be so inconsequential compared to those as to be pointless. Especially with how conflicted and emotional the things he already said to Moonshine made Emily feel. She already said that she's glad that he wasn't actually her dad in the Short Rest as Murph thought about doing, because she's having trouble enough digesting what did happen and that might have been too much. Having him be someone who's using them would probably give much the same result and tip the scales too far in one direction for them to really enjoy it. If he was going to gently caress them despite the Zone of Truth, I'd assume it's in somewhat the same way as Deadeye did, where he just wasn't being entirely honest with them and is still an ally afterwards. I'd think Emily is right too, in that a nice guy necromancer who just likes helping the dead is too fun an idea to spoil by actually making him evil too.

All that said, the best part of the episode was still Bootwon. Especially with the Short Rest clarifying that he was a single tiny toddler booty. Jake getting so annoyed about the size of it, but in a jokey way and enjoying something so silly so much is what makes this show great. "Guys, I know I was the boot" :(

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HoboTech posted:

As for the characters, I think that Moonshine is one of the most colorful D&D characters I've seen, Beverly is hitting the "shonen protagonist" notes very steadily, and Hardwon is the dark horse who really came into his own as the characters progressed in a way that surprised me.

Don't forget Paw Paw and Balnor. I love the way both have been developed so much despite being essentially NPCs. Balnor going from something they picked up by accident from a deck of cards, through WWI jokes to being an integral member of the team was great fun to listen to, especially given that they haven't quite dropped the mild disdain they have for him and it comes out in the humor occasionally even while they value him as a team member. It's always amusing to hear them pawn anything they can't do themselves through RP on to Paw Paw too, since it ends up adding so much to him. Paw Paw being a fighter now should be interesting too, and I'm wondering how Moonshine will end up letting him develop since Emily doesn't want to awaken him and has said she sees him as awakened in all but language at this point anyway. The fact they play him as a selfish brat at times too is fantastic. Paw Paw in the latest episode procrastinating from making Hardwon's wetsuit, then turning around to go to sleep when Hardwon gave out for instance was real fun. Or Paw Paw wanting to pig out on all the sweets a few episodes back.

HoboTech posted:

Also I don't think there's any current direction for Bev.

I think Caldwell is just happy to leave Bev on the backburner for a short while, letting Emily and Hardwon take the RP spotlight until he figures out what he wants to do with the whole Grey Knight/revenge angle. Especially since they only wrapped the Feywild up with a few weeks, and that was a pretty major arc for Beverly and was ostensibly all about him. I can't imagine Murph isn't going to tie in a place that's all about darkness in to him at some point anyway, given that Bev has shifted his character to be darker/edgier.

HoboTech posted:

Also I don't know if it's just RPing or if Jake is genuinely bothered by Hardwon's situation, but he's seemed way more subdued recently.

Yea, I think it's a mix of Jake just genuinely not loving being a vampire and him RP'ing the fact that Hardwon doesn't love it either by having Hardwon be a little sullen. I can't wait for him to be reincarnated though. Whatever he comes out as, the whole thing should make for some amazing RP.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phlag posted:

The Deadeye stuff did change her thinking of how she's been too protective of Pawpaw, but I don't think that she technically used Awaken on him. Typically Awaken basically gives the target human intelligence. Fungal Pawpaw makes him much tougher, but leaves his intelligence unchanged.

Yeah, Emily has said that she doesn't want to awaken Paw Paw, because (a) she loves the animalistic noises he makes too much to leave behind and have him talking and because (b) she thinks of him as already being essentially awakened anyway, given all the silly stuff they have him doing, like trying cases, making outfits and the fact he can perfectly understand them and even communicate precise information via his "rerr rirr" noises. He just speaks a different language at this point in time, essentially. I'm just curious as to how Emily will develop him in future really, given how much they've already done with him throughout the show.

mlmp08 posted:

Plus, as Murph points out, having buff familiar means the familiar becomes a target. Kind of hosed up to target familiars when they're eyes and ears and so on for someone, but when they're a battle-familiar, kind of comes with the territory.

I've seen some speculation that Murph will eventually end up having the Band of Boobs find some kind of item that allows Paw Paw to recover in a different dimension of some kind if he's killed in battle, sort of like a Pokeball, because apparently Vex\Laura from Critical Role needed much the same before she was entirely comfortable using her animal familiar in battle. I imagine you could probably home brew some kind of magic that ties Paw Paw's life force to Moonshine, so that he can't die unless she dies or something. That might even already the case automatically with familiars for all I know, since I've never played D'n'D and am only going off second hand knowledge through podcasts and some light browsing. I vaguely recall something similar being said of Mee Maw and Maw Maw actually, so maybe that's part of awaken or another spell druids have access to as well.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 18, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Psychepath posted:

I believe the precedent is that the possum familiars are tied to their people in a way that will let them be similarly long-lived, well past a normal possum's time, but they can be killed. But I also suspect that Paw Paw, like Balnor, would go into death saves instead of being outright killed like an NPC.

I'm not entirely sure that if Murph outright killed Paw Paw with no chance for death saves or some kind of resurrection, Emily wouldn't just divorce him. I imagine he'll have to give that chance just for the sake of a peaceful life frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HoboTech posted:

Also I know this is heretical, but regarding Balnor: I think he should have stayed in the Feywild with the other Green Knights to start his life over again. I feel like his character arc has come to a close and it would have been a good moment for him altogether, as well as opening the door for a new fun NPC. As sad as I was to see Ol' Cobb go away for a bit, I know we'll see him again. Hell, Balnor could have returned later on as a total badass, because we know we haven't seen the end of the Green Knights. Then again, who would hold the bag?

I kind of agree, but I think Murph somewhat closed the possibility when he revealed Balnor's backstory. He made Balnor central at that point, and that means it'd be kind of weird narratively if he just left, because his current arc was done. I do think it'd be more entertaining to have new NPC's for Murph to play within the party every arc or two, but Balnor is now one of the Boobs formally as well as being the thing that put them over the top as a force for good according to Alannis, so he kind of has to stay. I think maybe Murph just likes having a consistent character he can play within the group too, to be honest. Someone he can RP himself, and develop a lot over time the way Emily, Jake and Caldwell can develop their characters through numerous different goals and arcs.