Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

SickZip posted:

its next door to the white sands missile testing facility so a possible security isssue is going to be treated a lot more seriously then usual for an observatory

oh ok this makes sense. Thanks. I still hope we all die. :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Goons loathe the sun, no wonder they welcome the heat death of the universe.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, it's worse than I thought.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

which would you prefer the sun goes out or the earth gets hit by another meteor comparable to the one that killed the dinosaurs

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Not like it makes much of a difference

Edit: for us, right now

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Budget Dracula posted:

which would you prefer the sun goes out or the earth gets hit by another meteor comparable to the one that killed the dinosaurs

the fbi can handle either situation

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
We just have to find out if the FBI sent in Fox Mulder or the guys who hand out fake pipe bombs while wearing wires.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

bring back old gbs posted:

the fbi can handle either situation

the federal bureau of illumination?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Blue Train posted:

large adult sun has autistic fit and explodes

ah, so our sun is actually a Huckabee

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

old beast lunatic posted:

I'd like to chime in with GOOD and ALIENS and ayyy laaaaaamao to but this is a really weird story I'd love to know more about. Can anyone who spends time doing science stuff or staring at the sun explain why the FBI would shut down a solar observatory?

For crimes against the sun?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Blast of Confetti posted:

help how does distance work

quote:

Secondly, as with the moon, if the sun existed, a horrible apocalyptic collision with the earth would be expected. While the moon would have to plummet into the earth, since our planet supposedly revolves around the sun, we should expect to come crashing down into the sun. While the moon is said to be 384 000km from the earth and the sun 149 600 000km from the earth, the sun is much bigger than the moon. The moon is said to have a diametre of 3476km, the earth a diametre of 12 756km (at the equator). Since the sun supposedly has a diametre 109 times that of the earth, it has diametre of approximately 1 390 404km (109 X 12 756). To compare in ratio the supposed sun-moon diametres and supposed sun-moon distances from earth, divide 149 600 000 (sun-earth distance) by 384 400 (moon-earth distance), and also divide 1 309 404 (sun diametre) by 3 476 (moon diametre). The respective distance-diametre ratio is then approximately, 389.18 : 376.70. The supposed larger distance from the earth, is compensated by the supposed sun's larger size.

Concerned that we may realize this, the astrological community admits the swallowing of the earth by the sun, which we are told will expand over billions of years until it wondrously explodes as a supernova. Need I say more?

I guess it makes sense that if you think the sun is a hoax the moon must be too.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
How on earth are they saying sunburns are a government lie I can prove they're real in less than a day doing nothing

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
My roommate was telling me about how theres another sun for the other earth inside our hollow earth. Maybe it's about that?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Arrhythmia posted:

How on earth are they saying sunburns are a government lie I can prove they're real in less than a day doing nothing
Oh you get burnt all right. Just not by the sun.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
oh so the prophecies were right after all

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/1015577/end-of-the-world-red-heifer-prophecy-israel-temple-institute-armageddon

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nostradingus was right.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
before we die I'd like to take this opportunity to hail satan.

hail satan.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

go on any college campus and you'll find plenty of "red heifers"

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
US scientists found out that the Aztec religion was actually the correct one, but since they were all dead, someone had to keep butchering people to keep the sun from blowing up. That's why the US has been constantly at war since this discovery, but now they're running out of wars. The solar observatory had independently made the same discovery and was about to go public, but luckily the FBI found a few extra hearts to harvest inside.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The scientists were probably messing around with warez

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Budget Dracula posted:

:thunk: I always pictured the sky opening up like a zipper, and God’s nutsack smothers us all and farts and retreats into the sky, only to cover the barren earth is his panspermia once again.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
i'll take all you sonsa bitches when i go

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Vato posted:

Where is NORAD located?

they have a headquarter minutes from NYC or as it was known on 9/11: two days away

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I know a guy who works there and apparently they pointed a big optical telescope at the sun and it set the building on fire and started melting the earth but the telescope sunk into the lava and wasn’t pointed at the sun anymore so further disaster was averted.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Man, I was just outside and that sucker is still up there in the sky! What gives?!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

hakimashou posted:

I know a guy who works there and apparently they pointed a big optical telescope at the sun and it set the building on fire and started melting the earth but the telescope sunk into the lava and wasn’t pointed at the sun anymore so further disaster was averted.

Bad rear end

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

hakimashou posted:

SPACE FORCE!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
they probably just caught one or more of the researchers doing illegal poo poo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Given that they shut the local post office down, I'm assuming it's something dumb like Scientist A broke up with Scientist B, so B mailed some anthrax or radioactives to A and now the FBI is freaking out about TERRISTS.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Inshallah, OP

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

SickZip posted:

its nearby to the white sands missile testing facility and other classified military sites so a possible security isssue is going to be treated a lot more seriously then usual for an observatory

The rumor I have seen floating around is that the Chinese compromised one of the antennas at the facility and was using it to spy on the missile tests. Honestly it sounds pretty plausible to me.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 13, 2018

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

D-Pad posted:

The rumor I have seen floating around is that the Chinese compromised one of the antennas at the facility and was using it to spy on the missile tests. Honestly it sounds pretty plausible to me.

:laffo:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Did the sun explode yet

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
https://www.abqjournal.com/1219922/nm-solar-observatory-closed-authorities-mum.html

quote:

According to the facility’s website, the observatory and surrounding area is closed “due to unforeseen circumstances” until further notice.

Half Life 3 confirmed.

Sunspot is actually Black Mesa.

Beef Woman
Jun 22, 2007

A real human bean
this all an elaborate marketing scheme for the new season of American Horror story

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Icochet posted:

If theres a black hole i'm gonna gently caress it!

Haha, nice, unfortunately it is physically impossible as the sun doesn't have enough mass to do so.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
lmao we're going to meet aliens while dumb dumb is pres

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
That phantom earth that orbits on the other side of the sun has broken from its orbit and is heading our way.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they probably just caught one or more of the researchers doing illegal poo poo.

yeah, if they found something world destroying the CIA would black bag them to try and keep poo poo under wraps before every other observatory in the world spotted it and started leaking

this is something way more mundane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Real talk, I heard that observatories tends to use like really corrosive nasty chemicals for :reasons:, evacuating nearby buildings makes me thing maybe it's a spill or a leak or something.

• Locked thread