Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Long story short - I ran a local forum that was (in)famous among the music scene, but after 10 years the social web had grown and everyone got on with their lives and traffic fell to a crawl.

It seems there's at least a few of us who want to have a stab at it again, so my query is - should I just renew my IPB license to get an up to date copy back up and running, or is there something more fun on the market for free/cheap that's better? I doubt the scale will be particularly big these days, previously had a few thousand members with about 100 browsing at once but I doubt it'll hit that now. Have hosting with usual PHP/MySQL stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Comedy Facebook Group/Subreddit option

There’s not much point in self hosting for tiny communities except as a way to obscure or hide them. Piracy forums and the like still use their own forums software, but if you’re doing something legit and all your people left to hang out on these sites, you might as well moderate a feed on these platforms they already use.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Facebook is the worst thing to happen to forums, I'm in a bunch of groups and its so obviously tacked on and the caching sucks. Most people obviously don't care, but it's such a step back. I renewed my IPB license, it's only $25 so if it's a waste of time it's not like I have to sink actual money into it. Maybe we'll get some people on for old times sake then it'll disappear to dust again, but hey.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Old thread, but I've been thinking about this myself, and have been keeping my eye on commits and releases to https://flarum.org/

There's also a free hosted service at https://www.freeflarum.com/ though I've not tried it out yet.

It has a similar contemporary look and feel to discorse, but with a lower barrier of entry - ie php & sql rather than a ruby/docker.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Right now, I'd just use discord tbh.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I played around with Discourse and it was really easy to set up and is free and open source. It ran fine on a $5 digital ocean droplet but I don't know how many people could use it at that level.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's a weird question about forums, specifically these.

What font does SA use in its post bodies? I'm talking about the font you're reading right now. It's one of the most comfortable-to-read fonts I've seen and I'd love to apply it to my own stuff.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 11, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Roboto (you can use F12 tools to check)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

~Coxy posted:

Roboto (you can use F12 tools to check)

Awesome, thanks!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'll throw in my vote for Discourse, it's really feature rich and modern as well as pretty resilient to spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
First off, I'd say that establishing a brand new social forum anno 2019 is probably not going to end well. Social media has moved away from forums entirely and you'll find it very difficult to attract new users. The only forums that still do well are the ones that have been established for literal decades (like SA).

That said, IPB and Xenforo are both solid (paid) options. But if building a community is the goal then yeah, something like a subreddit or a Discord seems like a better bet.