Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Rockybar posted:

Yikes. Nice hate crime, politicising an unpreventable tragedy. Thoughts and prayers with the victims.

How was it unpreventable? That's a genuine question, btw. I have natural gas as does much of my neighbourhood and if something similar happened here there's no way it would be viewed as unpreventable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Be safe Mass goons. :(

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1040357993651609600

From the post above me, it looks like Columbia Gas is gonna be in a world of poo poo.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Rockybar posted:

UNPREVENTABLE!

It looks like they overpressurised the lines. Someone find a robot to blame.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1040362130157916160

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Do it ironically posted:

how the gently caress does that happen

It's probably automated and some sensor isn't working and the fail-safes don't work either because nothing has been maintained properly.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z59Qlu40TzE

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I can almost guarantee you it's deferred maintenance on aging equipment kept in check only by ad-hoc informal policies that went against safety regulations and were only really known by the guys that worked on the systems. You chain enough of these systemic failures together and you end up with poo poo like this. It'll turn out that pressure regulator (Y) was temperamental so you had to operate valves in a, b, c order but only under condition (X) or you'd end up with an over pressure event or some poo poo like that.

If anyone manually over-rode an automatic shutdown or an alarm (tell me it's designed to automatically shutdown if it detects an overpressure event), they're in for a world of hurt.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

It's probably going to be a game of hot potato and the last dude to touch the thing that broke should change his name and move asap.

We'll find out when we watch the Seconds From Disaster episode.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Apart from the immediate damage and inconvenience, I can't even imagine how long it's going to take to repair and restore the gas service to the area.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

im depressed lol posted:

If it's as bad as I'm imagining, consider that a lot of appliances such as clothes dryers and cooking stoves in the Northeast run on natural gas.

One reason I like having gas hot water and gas cooking is that at least we can still shower and cook if the electricity is out - and can cook in an electric frypan or crockpot if the gas is out.

I guess the dryer thing would be a bitch for people who live in apartments (domestic dryers are electric here).

I assume there's a good chance they'll cut the power while doing street by street repairs, too, just be be on the safe side.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

im depressed lol posted:

I'm having this weird, hypothetical ultimate failure scenario floating in my head. In which home heating systems, hot water heaters etc. etc. all need to be repaired individually in addition to whatever basic infrastructure needs to be repaired.

I mean, I'm getting the impression that pressures were so great that they leaked into dozens and dozens of homes. I need more info I guess, but even the 'best-case' of it being resolvable at street infrastructure level still sucks so much. Thankfully temperatures are still kind of moderate.

I've got an isolation tap for both my stove and my hot water service and another at my gas meter. The ones at the appliances aren't meant to withstand the same pressure as the one at the meter and that one's not meant to withstand the same pressure as the mains in the street. So yeah, there's a good chance that all of the pipes and valves will need to be checked at best and replaced at worst. Many people who evacuated won't even know whether their individual home developed a gas leak and it won't be safe for them to return until that's checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Should hook this thread up to the Massachusetts gas system

• Locked thread