Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
"Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a spook-a-doodle."

The Halloween decorations are in stores, the movie marathons have been scheduled and announced, people are freebasing pumpkin spice flavor, and Silver Shamrock's commercials have started playing. That means it's time for

:spooky: THE OCTOBER HORROR CHALLENGE :spooky:

RULES

:ghost: Set a personal goal of horror films. The tradition is 31 movies, but you can set a higher goal, and watch more.

:ghost: Review the films you watch.

:ghost: Promote and engage in discussions

:ghost: For a film to qualify towards your main goal, it must have a run-time over 60 minutes

:ghost: Don't be a negative rear end in a top hat. This is a chill place for people to watch horror movies. Constant offenders of this rule may be banned from participating in the challenge and the thread.

THE CHALLENGE HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN WITH THIS THREAD GOING LIVE.

PRIZES

There will be prizes for goons who meet secret goals. Prizes in the past have included blu-rays, books, and art. Prizes and their winners will be announced on November 1st, when the challenge officially ends. It is free to participate in the challenge and to receive prizes. Everyone who participates is eligible for a prize. The secret goals change every year, so Goons are more than welcome to discuss and guess at what may or may not be goals this year. My advice is to follow the rules, write good reviews and get creative with your ways of participating.

Non-USA Goons: Please mention in your first post announcing your participation which country you live in. You are still eligible for prizes, but we will have to discuss shipping after the challenge.

FAQs

When does the challenge start?
Right now. Any movies that you watch after this thread has gone live (1PM EST on 9-14) qualify towards your goal.

When does the challenge end?
Final reviews will need to be posted by 1PM EST on November 1st. That is when I start reviewing for prizes.

Can I wait until October 1st to start counting my movies?
Yes, absolutely, but just be aware that you're giving everyone else a two week head start.

What films qualify?
Films that are horror or relate to horror (horror-comedy, sci-fi horror, psych thrillers, etc.). Films that are about or taking place during Halloween. Documentaries about horror films, documentaries about supernatural events or cryptids, documentaries about Halloween. Family films like Hocus Pocus and Ernest Scared Stupid count. Giant Monster/Kaiju films also count.

Can you fulfill multiple Fran Challenges with one movie?
No. The Fran challenges are for added difficulty. Only one challenge can be fulfilled by one movie.

Can I ask for wild cards and recommendations?
Yes.

Do really long horror films count as multiple films?
No. Films like Never Sleep Again and Camp Crystal Lake Memories only count as one film.

Can I count a mini-series as a film?
If you choose to watch a mini-series as an entry (like Stephen King's The Storm of the Century and Twin Peaks: The Return) the entire series will only be counted as a single movie. See rule above.

Reviewing films is hard. What do I say?
I believe in you! Write about the themes, symbolism, motifs. Write about how the movie made you feel. Write about the character's journey. Write about the editing, the lighting, the camera movement, and other technical aspects, and how they contribute to the overall experience. Read some essays on film theory to movies you like. Read an admired critic's write-up of a film you like. Sometimes a film feels like its exhausted from discussion, but that still doesn't mean we've heard about the film through your experiences.

I don't agree with one of your qualifications, so I'm going to count my total differently than you (ie, I will count a long movie as multiple films, I will count short films in my total)
I will still count your total according to the thread rules.

I watched a bunch of movies all October but I didn't write them up
That's not participating in the spirit of the challenge.

Can I talk about my Halloween plans, my costumes, memories of Halloween, things in spirit with the seasons but not strictly about films?
Yes. This is CineD's Halloween thread.

More FAQS will be added as more questions are asked

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Horror Discord - discuss horror in real time with nice goons who may even invite you for group viewings of films.

Horror Thread

:siren: SCREAM STREAM 6 :siren:

FRAN CHALLENGES

#1: Love Something You Hate
#2: Queer Horror
#3: Hometown Horror
#4: Worst of the Best / Best of the Worst
#5: Birth of Horror
#6: Video Nasties
#7: The World Is A Scary Place
#8: Once In A Lifetime
#9: Stranger Danger
#10: Fear and Now
#11: Dead & Buried
#12: (Self-Described) Masters of Horror
#13: The Night We've All Been Waiting For

STREAMING

SHUDDER - the best horror streaming service

NETFLIX Horror Selection (US only)*

AMAZON PRIME Horror Selection*

HULU Horror Selection+

FILMSTRUCK Horror Selection~

TubiTV's Horror Selection~ (TubiTV is free)

*curated by Basebf555
+curated by Untrustable
~curated by UltimoDragonQuest

MOVIE LISTS

They Shoot Zombies Don't They's 1000 Best Horror Films 2018 version
Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Movies published in 2017
Slant Magazine's 200 Greatest Horror Films published in 2013
50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen compiled in 2014
The Complete List of Video Nasties
30 Best Non-English Horror Films published in 2014
Top 100 Non-English Horror Films published in 2016

STAFF PICKS

Belladonna of Sadness picked by LORD OF BOOTY: "The last thing created by Osamu Tezuka's animation studio, one of the few animated horror movies ever made, and quite frankly, the absolute most insane thing I have ever seen in my life. I literally cannot do this movie justice with words."
Blood Freak picked by Burkion: "Did I pick this last year? Who knows! I sure don't! Watch it anyways, it's a piece of history. I promise, it's the only Christian Anti Drug Killer Turkey Vampire movie you'll ever find."
Brain Damage picked by InfiniteZero: "It's a gooey electro-coloured Henenlotter celebration of weirdness! '...when it comes to blood in my underwear, I want to know how it got there.'"
Bride of Frankenstein picked by Choco1980: "What can be said about this that hasn't already? It's just an absolutely perfect film from its time. Better in every way from the first film, from the writing, to the acting, to the tension, to the humor, to all the subtle bits, to the tragic, painful end. Every time I watch it, I promise myself I won't cry at the ending. And I know every time that will be a promise I break."
Carnival of Souls picked by FreudianSlippers: "Possibly the eeriest film ever made. Dripping with spooky atmosphere with occasional dips into the nightmarish as the dead dance erratically to the cacophonous organ soundtrack."
Cemetery Man (aka Dellamorte Dellamore) picked by Origami Dali: "I'm choosing it because it's cynical and funny and beautiful and absurd and it fuckin rules."
Critters 2 picked by Drunkboxer: "This is a silly 80’s creature feature sequel that (much like The Godfather Part II) is as good as its predecessor and I believe it also won Best Picture. The climax takes place in a hamburger factory. Best watched when you’re 11 years old or 3 beers in. Or both."
Deathdream picked by gey muckle mowser: "...it came out the same year as TCM and Black Christmas (also directed by Bob Clark!). This is a real classic that deserves to be better known than it is. Being a low budget film from the early '70s, it doesn't always look pretty (especially some of nighttime scenes) and the acting from some of the supporting cast isn't great, but despite being a little rough around the edges this is a really excellent film. Its anti-war themes are not subtle - the young men shipped off to Vietnam are either getting killed or are coming back as zombies." (mini review here)
Devil Fetus picked by Hollismason: "Recently I've been getting into Shaw Brothers and Chinese Gore films from the 80s and well this is one of the best ones I've seen. Its basically insane, but in a incredibly awesome way. Why should you watch this film? This should answer all questions: Devil Fetus - Wizard Fail (GIFs)
Doctor Butcher, M.D. picked by Kvlt!
Ghost Stories picked by Untrustable: "An anthology film about a professional debunker of the supernatural trying to solve 3 cases his lifelong inspiration never could. It's a solid movie and some more people should watch it. The first segment is so drat tense."
Ginger Snaps picked by Lurdiak: "It's a coming of age story with werewolves in it. What more do you want? A very engaging film that transcends its low budget, and has great performances by the leads. I gotta rep Canada, we so rarely make good movies that a general audience can enjoy."
Hell House, LLC picked by Narzack: "It's a found footage movie about a haunted house attraction in the abandoned Abbadon Hotel. There's not a hell of a lot of the lovely shaky camera that accompanies the genre, nor is there any of that dumb running-and-screaming-in-the-woods nonsense that usually comprises the final act of a found footage. It's scary, its logic is coherent, the characters are believable, and there is a sequel coming our way. I just think it's really, really good."
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer chosen by COOL CORN: "Based loosely on the life of Henry Lee Lucas. An expertly crafted film that will make you want to shower off the terrible feelings afterward. But they won't wash off, and you'll carry around that bleak awful feeling. Excellent movie."
House of Wax picked by Jedit
The Invisible Man picked by SomeJazzyRat: "In terms of pre-war films, The Invisible Man holds up incredibly well. It feels almost contemporary in it's storytelling, with a decent respect to it's audience. It's a careful uneasy build that eventually becomes ludicrous yet believable, that pulls off the balance of overt humor and unsettling implications."
The Lure picked by Franchescanado: "A new-wave & punk horror musical about carnivorous mermaids becoming celebrities. One of my favorite movies from the past few years."
Motel Hell picked by CopywrightMMXI: "It was just in TCM this weekend so I watched it, and it was awesome. It seems like the type of movie that bridges the gap between 70s and 80s horror."
Pet picked by Windows 98: "A guy stalks and captures a girl and keeps her in a cage. Their relationship evolves as more clues are given as to what his real motives are. Describing it more than that may give too much away."
Phenomena picked by King Vidiot: "It's Dario Argento, it's Jennifer Connelly, it's Donald Pleasance. There's a deformed killer on the loose, and only Jennifer Connelly and Donald Pleasance and the power of psychically-bonded bugs can stop them! Featuring gratuitous and inappropriate Iron Maiden songs, a hyper-intelligent chimp, and did I mention Donald Pleasance? Can't recommend this movie enough, it's completely bonkers, especially that finale."
Possession picked by Ramadu: "the greatest divorce movie ever made"
The Return of the Living Dead picked by UltimoDragonQuest: "fantastic zombie movie dripping with gore and 80s culture."
Spookies picked by M_Sinistrari: "I pick this one because it's a classic 80s horror entry that would've caught your eye with it's Corbin art coverbox and actually paid out on it's promise of you seeing those monsters in the movie. It's a perfect b-flick cheesy entry to a Halloween marathon with your friends on the couch, ample beer, pizza and popcorn."
Tales of Halloween picked by TheKingslayer: "This one is a whole lot of fun and perfect to throw on during a party or get together and just let run. Plus it's an anthology and this own."
Terrifier picked by Spatulator bro!: "There is something special about this movie. Not in terms of its premise or plot, but in terms of its attitude, execution and style. It's a horror film that thoroughly understands its target audience of macabre-loving, gore-craving sickos and delivers to them in spades. oh and it's on Netflix."
Waxwork picked by Casimir Radon: "It's a pretty awesome low budget horror comedy starring Zach Galligan, Deborah Foreman, David Warner, and a bunch of other recognizable faces. In which a wax museum is used for the purpose of trapping enough souls to bring about a cataclysm."
The Wicker Man picked by Basebf555: "Christopher Lee often cited this role as the favorite of his career. Great outdoor cinematography, Lee, Ingrid Pitt, and one of the best soundtracks in movie history(in any genre), what's not to like? What it may lack in more traditional scares it makes up for in atmosphere and creeping dread that ratchets up and builds to one of the more disturbing climaxes in horror."

IN THEATERS

:drac: A Simple Favor
:drac: Assassination Nation
:drac: Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween | releases on Oct. 12th
:drac: Halloween (2018) | releases on Oct. 16th
:drac: Hell Fest | releases Sept. 28th
:drac: The House With A Clock In Its Walls | releases on Sept. 21st
:drac: MANDY (limited release)
:drac: George A Romero's Night of the Living Dead | Fathom event on Oct. 24th & 25th
:drac: The Nun
:drac: The Predator
:drac: Spirited Away | Fathom event on Oct. 28th - 30th
:drac: Suspiria (2018) | releases on Oct. 28th

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 29, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
:spooky:IT BEGINS!!:spooky:

As Franchy said, some of us make up our own rules. I'm one of those masochists. How I do things is starting October 1st, I try to watch as many horror films I've never seen before by the end of October 31st. No goal, no limit, just hit maximum spookerdrive. Last year I hit 78 films in the month. This year I'm going to try harder. I can't count films that I've already seen before, and I have commitments like Lurdiak's Scream Stream in the way. This is my annual Ironman Marathon, and I look forward to it all year. Think you can beat me? You got a sixteen day head start on my personal honor system.

To make a long story short: I'm in.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm in too. I'll set a goal of 31, I may watch more but I'll be out of town for a few weekends in the next month so that will limit my watching time a bit.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm in for a definite 31 but more than likely I'll blow past it. I've got a fresh Shudder list to blow through and some VOD stuff I've been saving.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh god, I totally forgot about this after setting a list last year and probably only watched five of the things I listed (and The Blackcoat's Daughter is the only one of those I remember offhand). At least that's an early first step, finding my list from last year and getting cracking on that.

E:
Carryovers from last year:
- The Exorcist
- The Hidden
- Society
- April Fool's Day
- Child's Play (not that one, the Sidney Lumet/James Mason 1972 one)
- Phantasm
- Phenomena
- The Lure
- Christine
- Cujo
- The Eyes of My Mother
- Funny Games
- The Sentinel
- Constantine

Other stuff that's under the horror tag on my Letterboxd watchlist:
- Mandy
- Climax (depending on the release date I guess)
- The Oregonian
- Race With The Devil
- Altered States
- Ghostland
- Arrebato
- A Dark Song
- Annihilation
- Mom and Dad
- One Hour Photo

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 14, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

:spooky:IT BEGINS!!:spooky:

As Franchy said, some of us make up our own rules. I'm one of those masochists. How I do things is starting October 1st, I try to watch as many horror films I've never seen before by the end of October 31st. No goal, no limit, just hit maximum spookerdrive. Last year I hit 78 films in the month. This year I'm going to try harder. I can't count films that I've already seen before, and I have commitments like Lurdiak's Scream Stream in the way. This is my annual Ironman Marathon, and I look forward to it all year. Think you can beat me? You got a sixteen day head start on my personal honor system.

To make a long story short: I'm in.

I'm starting tonight and there's still no way I'm going to approach 78. My personal record was like 54 or 55, somewhere around there.

Kicking things off with some James Whale.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

First time! I'll be setting the 31 goal and trying my best to hit it despite being gone on a vacation for most of October.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Most of you are probably sick of me posting my list, but here it is one last time officially: https://letterboxd.com/caiman/list/october-2018-horror-challenge/

I may change up the order a bit as I go, but those are definitely the 31 films I'm aiming for. I haven't seen any of them, and I tried to set a good eclectic mix of styles, decades and countries.

My wife just gave birth to our second son (the other being a toddler), and I work full time. So this is going to truly be a "challenge" for me. I'm glad for the September head start.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

You know what? I've barely watched horror movies, but I saw Mandy last night and really enjoyed it, so what the hell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Put me down for 31 films minimally although I think I can do 80.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

You know what? I've barely watched horror movies, but I saw Mandy last night and really enjoyed it, so what the hell.

If you're willing to go with some thread recommendations, I think you'll see some kick-rear end movies this month. There's going to be a "staff picks" section added soon and if you pick from there you basically can't go wrong. And most of the staff picks are available on one streaming service or another.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'll sign up for 31. I sure wish John Carpenter made more horror movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm in. I'll be cheating a little, but you'll know when and you won't complain. Much.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

If you're willing to go with some thread recommendations, I think you'll see some kick-rear end movies this month. There's going to be a "staff picks" section added soon and if you pick from there you basically can't go wrong. And most of the staff picks are available on one streaming service or another.

I found a 60 day free trail code for Shudder, so with that, Netflix and Hulu I think I should be set. I just wish I'd saved rewatching Lord of Illusions.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thank god, ive been adding a bunch to my streaming lists and my partner is mad at me for not letting us watch scary movies since I’ve been waiting for this. Going to set my goal for 31 but I expect to beat it. As with last year going to try and focus on stuff for my son, he’s 6 and so far pretty fearless, so I’ll try and find good ones we can watch together

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Trying to set some extra challenges for myself. No sequels, no remakes, first-time viewings only, and nothing coming out in theaters counts towards the list.

Aiming for at least 31, but I'll probably go over since the cool rep theater in DC's showing all horror movies this month.

Here's my tentative list:

October Challenge 2018

Looking for some suggestions, especially in regards to newer movies. Might be a bit too giallo-heavy right now.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 14, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Friends Are Evil posted:

Trying to set some extra challenges for myself. No sequels, no remakes, first-time viewings only, and nothing coming out in theaters counts towards the list.

Aiming for 31, but I'll probably go over since the cool rep theater in DC's showing all horror movies this month.

October Challenge 2018

Looking for some suggestions, especially in regards to newer movies. Might be a bit giallo-heavy right now.

Assuming you haven't seen them, you should add The Ritual and The Eyes of My Mother, which are both on Netflix.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

Assuming you haven't seen them, you should add The Ritual and The Eyes of My Mother, which are both on Netflix.

Seen The Ritual, but I haven't seen The Eyes of My Mother. Might put that one on the list.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm definitely in again this year. I have so many failed attempts that another won't hurt. This year my goal is to not burn myself out watching 3-4 movies a day. Instead I've picked out 31 movies that all have one terrible, terrible thing in common:

October 2018 Challenge: Remakes! https://boxd.it/1Z2zY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Why not give yourself viral encphelitisis instead. Yikes all remakes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Why not give yourself viral encphelitisis instead. Yikes all remakes.

The list itself is better than you'd think though. It's definitely not all bad. NotLD remake, It, Zombie's Halloween, The Thing, The Blob, etc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
that's a neat idea actually, quite a few of those remakes are very good too

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

That's a hell of an idea, but man, 2017 Mummy is loving rough. Kinda surprised '99 Mummy didn't take it's place.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Aiming for at least 31, but I'll probably go over since the cool rep theater in DC's showing all horror movies this month.

October Challenge 2018

Looking for some suggestions, especially in regards to newer movies. Might be a bit too giallo-heavy right now.

Great list.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

That's a hell of an idea, but man, 2017 Mummy is loving rough. Kinda surprised '99 Mummy didn't take it's place.

I had to straddle a fine line between, "yes this is a good remake worthy of my time" and "Oh that's sad".

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I'm going to give this a shot, but with Godzilla films. Currently my list is the 29 films made in Japan. I've seen about half of them but did so in a haze where I was consuming 3-4 films a night and don't remember a ton about each one. It would be nice to write down my thoughts while they're fresh.

List: https://boxd.it/22YmY

I'm going to skip the American films, and add The X From Outer Space and Daimajin to get it to 31 films. I'm also open to recommendations.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 14, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anyone else thinking of coordinating their challenge with Hooptober? https://letterboxd.com/cinemonster/list/hooptober-cinco-your-terror-is-a-locked-room/

I'm considering it, because I love giving myself ever-increasing, arbitrary rules to follow.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 14, 2018

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

Anyone else thinking of coordinating their challenge with Hooptober? https://letterboxd.com/cinemonster/list/hooptober-cinco-your-terror-is-a-locked-room/

I'm considering it, because I love giving myself ever-increasing, arbitrary rules to follow.

This is actually really close to what my challenge list rules are, even having Tales From The Hood 1 and 2 in it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I watched Tales from the Hood last year, it’s so drat good. I’ll definitely be watching the new one this year.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just realized I have two films on my list that barely meet the minimum length requirement. Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Black Cat (1934) are 61 minutes and 63 minutes respectively.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea 30s and 40s horror is really short. I always tell people to just watch Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein back to back because it's still only 2.5 hours.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Rejiggered my list to fit with Hooptober's weird constraints.

I'll probably add some of the films back on as I keep going this month.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Staff Picks and resources have been posted. I'll be adding more later.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

YES!!!! Horror movie Ironman time!!!

I'm starting mine today. Aiming for two films a day, if I do more, great but at least knocking out two a day. This should put me at approximately 100 watched by Halloween. Since this is my first Horror Ironman, I'm going to be going in an approximate historical/chronological order starting with what I've got from the 1920s since anything I've got before that doesn't fit the 60 minute minimum length. Soft goal is aiming for around 6 films per decade minimum. I don't know how far I'll get but I'm looking forward to seeing how close I get. Next year I can play around with ideas like never seen before or themes.

To give folks a taste of what I might be sitting through, here's my collection. https://letterboxd.com/m_sinistrari/list/my-movie-collection/ It's not complete, but it's a start of what I've bothered to catalog.

MetalPriestess
May 18, 2011

I'm doing this officially this year, and I'm going for 31! Rewatches will be allowed, but I'm trying for mostly first time watches.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat good staff picks this year.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 14, 2018

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Count me in for 31 movies.

I don't have a fancy list ahead of time, I'll mostly watch things on a whim just because that's what I normally do. My only goal is to watch through all the old Universal horror movies I own (the Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolfman series, might throw a few more in if I can find some streaming) just because I haven't seen them in a couple years.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think I can probably get 31 in this year. Here's the list of new to me stuff I'll be pulling from: https://boxd.it/22wtC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CRAYON posted:

I'm going to give this a shot, but with Godzilla films. Currently my list is the 29 films made in Japan. I've seen about half of them but did so in a haze where I was consuming 3-4 films a night and don't remember a ton about each one. It would be nice to write down my thoughts while they're fresh.

List: https://boxd.it/22YmY

I'm going to skip the American films, and add The X From Outer Space and Daimajin to get it to 31 films. I'm also open to recommendations.

The Gamera movies are worth a watch. The 60s/70s "Showa" run are insane in all sorts of ways. The Heisei trilogy from the 90s is some of the best kaiju cinema of all time (made by the same guy who made GMK later). I can't speak for the 00s Gamera movie as I've not seen it.

X From Outer Space got a sequel in the 00s. "The Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit!" by the guy who made such hits as "The Calamari Wrestler", "Rug Cop" and "The World Sinks Except Japan". He might be certifiably insane.

Another weird one is Yongarry, which came from South Korea, and got a really loopy remake in 2000, released in the US as "Reptilian".

Finally, if you REALLY want something strange, there's the harder to get NORTH Korean kaiju film Pulgasari, which takes place in feudal times, much like Daimajin, and is about a creature that the revolting peasants take in that eats metal and constantly grows as he does. It's kinda uncomfortable to watch this early 80s film, because the crewmembers were uh, abducted from Japan and force by Kim Jong-Il to make the film before he would release them.

• Locked thread