Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m totally gonna make eggnog for the first time this year as soon as I have a working fridge and some booze.

How much nog does the Alton Brown recipe make? From looking at it it looks like it makes a little over half a gallon, in which case I’m gonna need to scale it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve never heard of toasted cream before. What’s the difference between that and regular cream?

Also how do I convince my extremely stupid bull-headed mother that homemade eggnog won’t make everybody sick? I tried telling her about the scientific proof that the alcohol would kill any bad stuff in the eggs, and she doesn’t care and vowed to pour anything I make down the drain after 3 days.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

poverty goat posted:

pasteurized eggs, show her the carton. they're made to be used raw in cocktails and such. this is part of why I use pasteurized eggs, because it's easier to say you use special eggs that are fine and point to a commercial product on the shelf at harris teeter than to explain science and such to all your cousins at christmas.

toasted cream

Thank you, I just told my mom that pasteurized eggs are things that exist and I think it worked. She is now open to drinking homemade eggnog.

Speaking of which, is it possible to pasteurize eggs at home without a sous vide? If it is then I think that might be cheaper than buying pre-pasteurized ones.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Where are you keeping all this? I’m hoping to make 2 or 3 gallons and I’m having a tough time convincing my parents to let me keep that much in our fridge for 2 months, much less a full year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s this thread’s opinion on the Jamie Oliver egg nog recipe?

Apparently it’s boozier than the Alton Brown nog linked in the OP, but I’m thinking about making a version with less alcohol and I’m trying to figure out how much I can safely get away with using.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ben Nevis posted:

If you want Oliver's and less boozy, I'd figure out his ABV

How do I do this? I tried calculating the ABV, but I must’ve done it wrong because it came out to ~15%, which is lower than Alton’s and too low to be safe.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kirtar posted:

If we assume 40% ABV liquor and that a whole egg contributes about 46 mL liquid volume, I'm getting about 5.20% ABV on Jamie Oliver's recipe and 3.58% ABV on Alton Brown's. The Serious Eats one is about 9.4% depending on whether you do the small shaken batch or the bulk one. Even if we completely ignore any volume contribution from the eggs it only tacks on about 1-2%.

For reference, the thing would have to be roughly half rum/brandy/whatever to even have a chance of hitting 20% ABV. I suspect the actual target is about 20% liquor by total volume, and the original (vaguely written) on the Rockefeller Institute site seems to support this (or not see below). Based on that, we get 13.01% liquor by volume for Jamie Oliver's, 9.03 for Alton Brown's, and about 23.4% for Serious Eats.

E: I was accidentally using the good eats one that was linked off the other question rather than the one in the OP. The one linked in the OP is about 10.59% ABV or 26.47% liquor by volume. For reference, the recipe the dude at Rockefeller used was around 14.69% ABV or 36.74% liquor by volume.

So if I scale up Jamie’s recipe to make 3 gallons and reduce the amount of alcohol per recipe to 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup, and I use equal parts rum, bourbon, and cognac for the alcohol, would that be safe?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have another question about the Jamie Oliver nog. The recipe doesn’t say anything about aging it. Is there any reason why it WOULDN’T get better with age like every other egg nog on earth?

I’m also still not entirely clear on how much I can reduce the booze content by while still keeping the %ABV at a safe level, but I get the sense that none of you are gonna be able to tell me that until I know exactly which types and brands of alcohol I’ll be using (the recipe only calls for one kind of booze but I’m gonna use 3). So I’ll try to get all of that tomorrow and come back here when I’ve got some names and labels.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I changed my mind, I’m doing the Alton Brown recipe... with Jamie Oliver ingredients thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I made a little over 3 gallons of nog. I combined the Alton Brown ingredients with the Jamie Oliver method... and other ingrdients.

poo poo’s good as gently caress. I can’t wait to taste it again after a few months. And again next Christmas.