Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hifi posted:

they made a tv box that doesn't have hdmi out

wait really

loooool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

The DVR thing only works with broadcast tv right? Because early adopter Amazon smart speaker users totally want to dvr broadcast tv.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

actually... they specifically say no cable/satellite tv, it's OTA only. what in the world are they thinking

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That a bunch of people use a combination of OTA antenna and Netflix/Hulu?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

hifi posted:

actually... they specifically say no cable/satellite tv, it's OTA only. what in the world are they thinking

it sorta makes sense and i can kinda see it fitting into a niche...cord cutters who still tune into OTA for some programming. still dumb that it's a totally separate box which requires you to buy a firetv of some sort.

overall not nearly as dumb as a dollar store grade microwave with an alexa speaker glued on

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don’t think that many people use ota it’s just the only way to incorporate actual tv features without having to spend infinity dollars on content licensing deals

mystes
May 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That a bunch of people use a combination of OTA antenna and Netflix/Hulu?
It's not a terrible idea and having it be integrated with the fire TV software would beat using a separate device, but I think they're overestimating the number of people who will pay this much for it.

If they just put a single tuner in the fire TV at no additional cost and targetted users who didn't already know they want it, they could probably get some people who have both cable and prime to cancel their cable and maybe buy some premium subscriptions with the money they saved.

The people who are currently using prime plus ota tv are probably very budget minded, and people who are following these announcements are probably early adopters who only have streaming and don't care about ota tv.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mystes posted:

My coworker wants the microwave for some reason. I can sort of see the point of a smart coffee maker where you set it up the night before and just tell your AI overlord to make coffee in the morning when you wake up,

a coffee maker with... a timer????

the future is here guys

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just bought all of these and installed them in my house. my microwave can now stream my security camera to my kitchen tablet dvr thing

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Amazon echo seems like a cool thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qhat posted:

Amazon echo seems like a cool thing.

it’s not

a speaker with kinda dog poo poo audio that’s always listening, has voice commands as easy and intuitive as the git cli, and is run by wal-mart 2

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
walmart 2: e-commerce boogaloo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

every phone already has a worthless magic ai voice. why does the echo exist

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

because jeff bezos personally ruined amazon’s chances to sell phones with extensive meddling and stupid deadlines

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

corporate panopticon op

mystes
May 31, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I guess the most charitable interpretation is that even though nobody is using smart speakers to buy stuff now, there's a possibility that Amazon will somehow otherwise be locked out if they turn out to be the new paradigm for interaction with computers. (Similar to the idea of Google creating Android.)

There may also be an element of just doing random stuff to convince investors they have some sort of vision. Voice assistants are somehow incorrectly conflated with ai and ai is hot again.

Or they just have no idea what they're doing.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 23, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
jeph beeshorse probably wants to be able to go "computer: mozart symphony, loud" like on star trek

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i very much like the idea of a smart home but lol at letting amazon run it. double lol for google. if apple devices were non-bad and/or price competitive then maybe that’d be fine, but triple lol at contemporary apple making good products

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
amazon wants everyone paying for amazon prime. they’ve adopted the strategy of throwing as much poo poo as they can against the wall until something sticks and they can leverage some prime subscribers out of it

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i figure amazon just wants to make a walled garden so consumers are locked into amazon services. like the amazon lock - it's a service that only works for amazon deliveries. if you can convince enough people to get one then they'll be way more likely to use amazon even if a competitor comes along, since they have the lock.

and everyone getting smart stuff that interacts with alexa is the same - get a critical density for an ecosystem that locks consumers into amazon and creates a disincentive to going with a competitor

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
My inner dunning-kruger agrees with the walled garden bit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What are users actually doing with Alexa that involves Amazon's services, though?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mystes posted:

What are users actually doing with Alexa that involves Amazon's services, though?

literally everything it does except listening for the wake word is done on amazon servers

but in particular, setting timers, converting between kitchen measures, and listening to the amazon prime music selection (hot this week: "camptown races", "she'll be comin' 'round the mountain", and "axelf.mid")

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
an echo or other smart speaker would be a good idea if nlp was done on the device so you could use it without letting jeffy b listen to your every utterance in his weird batcave

the only good smart voice thing is the apple tv because the microphone has a physical button on the itty bitty remote, and like the only good use for that is to say hey turn off the movie lights

i guess the fire tv has the same sort of remote but 1. lol and 2. the remote evidently lasts for like three months

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

the microwave makes sense if you think about it in the context of a lot of these services are designed to replace the tech lords’ moms. yeah you could spend a few seconds looking up how to use the microwave or they could just tell it to cook something like they would their mom.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wire(d) mother

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

i very much like the idea of a smart home but lol at letting amazon run it. double lol for google. if apple devices were non-bad and/or price competitive then maybe that’d be fine, but triple lol at contemporary apple making good products

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

mystes posted:

There are so many people getting paid full time to answer that question.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

1) because amazon wants to harvest your data so they can sell poo poo to you. like Google, they want to build an ecosystem in which you constantly interact with their products and services, giving them plenty of data that they can use to fine-tune their ads

B) because one of amazon's market strategies is about making it as easy and quick to buy things as possible. enabling people's random consumerist whims and then giving them as little opportunity as possible to have second thoughts. voice-enabled devices mean you can buy poo poo from across the room. a microwave that automatically buys popcorn every time you use the "popcorn" setting means that you're not even consciously deciding to buy popcorn. the ultimate goal of an Amazon smart house is to set up a situation in which you don't even make your own buying decisions - you just surrender your credit card to Amazon and let them do your buying for you with the help of the surveillance devices stalking your every move

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Main Paineframe posted:

you just surrender your credit card to Amazon and let them do your buying for you with the help of the surveillance devices stalking your every move

sounds like my mother in law. now why ca'nt they make a smart version of HER???? lol..

mystes
May 31, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

B) because one of amazon's market strategies is about making it as easy and quick to buy things as possible. enabling people's random consumerist whims and then giving them as little opportunity as possible to have second thoughts. voice-enabled devices mean you can buy poo poo from across the room. a microwave that automatically buys popcorn every time you use the "popcorn" setting means that you're not even consciously deciding to buy popcorn. the ultimate goal of an Amazon smart house is to set up a situation in which you don't even make your own buying decisions - you just surrender your credit card to Amazon and let them do your buying for you with the help of the surveillance devices stalking your every move
https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-alexa-echo-online-shopping-sales-2018-8

Only 0.2% of Alexa device owners have bought two or more things using Alexa.

They have sold 50 million devices, so this translates to at most 100,000 people but probably less because of people buying multiple devices.

In comparison, Amazon has more than 100 million prime members.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

indigi posted:

sounds like my mother in law. now why ca'nt they make a smart version of HER???? lol..

uh-oh! trouble in paradise! hahaha

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

mystes posted:

They have sold 50 million devices, so this translates to at most 100,000 people but probably less because of people buying multiple devices.

those are the 100,000 people who aren't totally flat broke

just wait until jeff adds the "alexa, buy xyz on bezos credit!" command

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mystes posted:

how many of those were accidental or from a child

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah scott galloway also brought up this as amazons endgame and i agree

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/14/16303784/transcript-author-nyu-professor-scott-galloway-recode-decode-four-book-google-amazon-facebook-apple posted:

- Oh, yeah. It’s kind of the same thing they do and they do a great job. Now, what I think, though, the bigger prediction — and I’ve been saying this for a while and I’ve been wrong — is they’re going to want something, call it Prime Squared, where they’re basically going to use artificial intelligence, your credit card, a fulfillment network and Alexa to just start sending you stuff. We talked a little bit about this the last time.

- Right, the box. Yeah. Explain that. Explain what you meant.

- Well, they’ll say, “Hey.” They’ll probably do it in a college town where everyone has a smartphone, everyone loves Amazon and everyone has broadband, and they’ll say, “We know a lot about you and you like us and you trust us. So sign up for this and we’re going to start sending you two boxes two to three times a week, and one of those boxes will have the stuff we think you want, and one will be empty. You send what you don’t want back in the empty box, and we’ll pick it up, and then you’ll manicure using this great thing we have all over your house called Alexa. ‘Alexa, barbecue for six people on Saturday. Alexa, I’m leaving town for 10 days. Alexa, I want Lagunitas IPA versus Stella Artois. Alexa, send me four quotes for auto insurance for a 2014 Toyota Camry via email.’”

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Alexa, send me the largest size of trash bags you got and a tank of nitrogen

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Alexa, send me the largest size of trash bags you got and a tank of nitrogen

don't forget the duct tape, and godspeed

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the plural of echo is echi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

poty posted:

yeah scott galloway also brought up this as amazons endgame and i agree

yeah i think it's been pretty clear that's the goal for amazon for a fair while now. subscription services are great for retailers, amazon's whole thing is figuring out what you're mostly likely to buy, showing it to you and making it as easy as possible to get it. it's not a big step to just cut out the middle man (your eyeballs) and let your credit card and prime subscription get on with it

• Locked thread