Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Kirby: Star Allies

It’s a Kirby game! Everyone loves Kirby!

Kirby is one of Nintendo’s flagship franchises, featuring an adorable pink circle with shoes and a world-destroying appetite. By their nature, Kirby games are not designed to be particularly difficult – they’re all pretty chill, relaxing platformers that don’t ask the player for much. What challenge Kirby titles have is typically reserved for the postgame.

Kirby: Star Allies innovates the Kirby formula by returning some of the most popular features from previous titles, including the input commands from Kirby: Super Star and the Power Combos from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. Additionally, this game is all about being sociable and having friends to play with: up to four friends can play Kirby: Star Allies at once, each player having just a little bit less agency than whichever player is using Kirby.

Also, any player that is not Kirby can play as some of Kirby’s most familiar faces! Hand the controller to a friend, and they can play classic characters like King Dedede, or Meta Knight, or even the villain Marx from Kirby: Super Star! This game’s main goal is to just have a good time, and if that means having a bit of fanservice, well, why not?

The LP:

My good friend Olive Branch was visiting me for the week in mid-August, and one of the things we did while he was visiting was sit down and blitz through this game, front to back. Which means that all these videos are pre-recorded, and it was all blind, so it’s not exactly a skilful run (as much as such a thing can exist for a Kirby game).

On the downside, that means this isn’t going to be too much of a Let Us Play, considering we can’t exactly have a lot of community involvement in a series of videos that are already completed.

But on the upside, since every video is already recorded and encoded, that means I won’t have a reason to slack off on an update schedule! I’m thinking a video every two days ought to be plenty.

This is very much just meant to be a casual, laid-back, low-effort LP that you can turn on and listen to in the background while you do something else. Just chill and listen to two friends make bad jokes, and maybe tab back in to look at some pretty visuals once in a while.

Episodes:

Episode 1: A Little OP
Episode 2: Your Buddy
Episode 3: Call Me Crazy
Episode 4: What The Gamers Want
Episode 5: Tolerance
Episode 6: Super Souper
Episode 7: Ride Into Battle
Episode 8: Consent to All Kisses
Episode 9: Chuck A Guy
Episode 10: Don't Touch This Switch
Episode 11: The Kirby Show
Episode 12: I'm The Best You Can Do?
Episode 13: Thword
Episode 14: Hurry It Up
Episode 15: The Weak Must Feed The Strong
Episode 16: Team Big Fat Guy
Episode 17: This Is My House
Episode 18: Conversation Over
Episode 19: Optimus Prime Is Perfect
Episode 20: Wait 'Til The Pink
Episode 21: Death In The Family
Episode 22: This Is What You Wanted
Episode 23: Get Swole
Episode 24: Oh No, He's Adorable
Episode 25: Celebratory Body Slam
Episode 26: A Swordid Affair
Episode 27: A Game That We Did Need
Episode 28: Unnecessary
Episode 29: With The Power of Friendship
Episode 30: Everything's Better With A Chef
Episode 31: Wait For It
Episode 32 - FINALE: One More Time

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fun side-story: Maple Leaf tested audio levels by having us play a bit of Fast RMX before each session. He won first every race, and only in one did I actually not end in tenth...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Can confirm, LP is good to have on in the background.

The game looks fun! The co-op looks a bit limited, but it's a Kirby game, they aren't exactly complex.

The puzzle thing reminds me a lot of a Streetpass game, where you assembled puzzles by getting pieces from people who connect with you. (Remember Streetpass? It's a bit dead if you don't live in Tokyo.)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

:siren:Update::siren:

Episode 2: Your Buddy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know y'all have played already but for other folks, combos are generally weapon+element, and various powers are either weapons or elements. Some folks are exceptions (most of the special friends have some innate element skills even if you power them up, or the curling shown off here) but generally you're not going to be trying everything with everything for a special combo to use for a single key like in Kirby 64.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this is looking to be chill and adorable.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
If I am remembering my Kirby genesis correctly, the last Kirby game Sakurai worked on that was released was Air Ride, and he departed HAL Labs shortly after that. I wish I could find the media that announced it again, but the one thing I remember about it was that he might've had to relocate to find a place with cheaper rent.

There are some leftover files in the Wii game which suggests that he was around near the very beginning of when the work was one on the current engine most Kirby games use. At the time when he was so close to being a director at HAL, having full orchestration for the background music was kind of his thing -- for both Smash Melee and in Air Ride. There are a few leftover music files that are properly orchestrated that the Wii game never uses. Those are believed to be the last traces of Sakurai's influence left in the current generation of Kirby games.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 3: Call Me Crazy

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Morroque posted:

If I am remembering my Kirby genesis correctly, the last Kirby game Sakurai worked on that was released was Air Ride, and he departed HAL Labs shortly after that. I wish I could find the media that announced it again, but the one thing I remember about it was that he might've had to relocate to find a place with cheaper rent.

There are some leftover files in the Wii game which suggests that he was around near the very beginning of when the work was one on the current engine most Kirby games use. At the time when he was so close to being a director at HAL, having full orchestration for the background music was kind of his thing -- for both Smash Melee and in Air Ride. There are a few leftover music files that are properly orchestrated that the Wii game never uses. Those are believed to be the last traces of Sakurai's influence left in the current generation of Kirby games.

Aside from the sakurai as hell Menu design.

E:(some research tells me his wife actually does the menu and UI design.)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 26, 2018

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 4: What The Gamers Want

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 5: Tolerance

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The clean power actually did appear before, in Kirby's Dream Land 3! That's also where the friends that show up with the power come from.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The clean power actually did appear before, in Kirby's Dream Land 3! That's also where the friends that show up with the power come from.
I know the episode's name is "Tolerance" but man, the Cleaning ability's flying broom lady is creepy and uncool.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
She's a weirdo in Dream Land 3 too, so they were true to the source!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the animal friend cameos from 3. They were fun to combo with.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 6: Super Souper

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Man this game is as cute as heck and all, but I'm disappointed in the ability combos. It seems like they're all just "Attack Up!" which is not really useful in a Kirby game.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 7: Ride Into Battle

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Adeline has some adorable rideables. A good dream friend.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 8: Consent to All Kisses

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 9: Chuck A Guy

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I get a little sad every time you pass up the Bounce/Ball ability.

At least, that's what I think the little UFO guy is.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Solumin posted:

I get a little sad every time you pass up the Bounce/Ball ability.

At least, that's what I think the little UFO guy is.

No, it's just a normal enemy. Can't be copied or befriended.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Driblee: Star Allies is looking pretty good so far.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Driblee: Star Allies is looking pretty good so far.
DeKirbyze yourself and face to Driblee.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 10: Don't Touch This Switch

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The haunted masks are from Mario Bros. 2/DDP, but they also showed up in the original Kirby's Dream Land on the GB! IIRC they appeared in the bonus extra mode of the 2nd level, which itself was a reference to a previous series of games called Adventures of Lolo.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 11: The Kirby Show

I was tempted to name this episode "Harry Potter Sucks" for the clickbait but decided I had better standards than that.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 12: I'm The Best You Can Do?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

wait, does the Mirror ability not show up in this game? That was one of my favorites in the SNES/DS Super Star games

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 13: Thword

SatansOnion posted:

wait, does the Mirror ability not show up in this game? That was one of my favorites in the SNES/DS Super Star games

Dark Meta Knight plays somewhat similarly to the Mirror ability, but other than him, no, unfortunately, it doesn't.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 14: Hurry It Up

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 15: The Weak Must Feed The Strong

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
1) Bulbasaur is really great. :colbert:
2) New Vegas is the best Fallout.
3) Yggy Woods is probably a reference to Yggdrasil.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 16: Team Big Fat Guy

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 17: This Is My House

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The Friend Star looks like it could make some neat puzzles. Or some frustrating ones.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 18: Conversation Over

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

City of Heroes was the poo poo back in the day, rip in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

City of Heroes was the poo poo back in the day, rip in peace.
Pour one out for every Fire/Devices Blaster and Fire/Kinetics Controller in Issue 1.