Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I've been doing arena. I'm in the 500's range because people are incredibly high in arena with teams that are like.. 10 levels lower than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah the 30s hit a bit of a slowdown. Work on your kobolds and aim for 40. You unlock ToH at 40 that gives you access to dwarves and a consistent source of shards. You're going to keep working on kobolds until you get them to 5 stars so that gives you a mid-range goal. Succubus is a bit longer due to fewer early sources of demons. Not to mention you've probably got a full team of kobolds by then and they're actually really good with strong synergy.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I’ll clear some spots of pub in the clan twisted.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

The Mykkel in the clan is me. please don't clear me.

Estel
May 4, 2010
The game looks cool, ign Estel#10QW

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Which kobolds are best? What should I buy with arena currency?

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Just hit 28, sent a request to join the guild as Hilarity#16BC

SurprisedEel
Dec 29, 2008
Still got a way to go to unlock clans, but just sent out a bunch of friend requests as SurprisedEel#1FPM

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I've gone with all the Kobolds except the tank one and wyrm priest. Tanks have been lacklustre in this game and wyrm priest isn't accessible for a while.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I just got to where I can have friends. I would love some high carry friends. IGN is Snowmank#10VW .

My bunny offer says it only lasts for 50 more min? Is that true?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Get the bunny

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I need to change the thread title to GET THE BUNNY

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Got the Bunny.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alright Sun, you got me back into Destiny so you're 1 for 1.

Giving this a shot on Android.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I do what I can friend. I’m trying to get some wins over here.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Estel posted:

The game looks cool, ign Estel#10QW

Let's do this again now that i've unlocked friends

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
How hard is it to get the rabbit by just grinding? I just got the offer, but spending 6€ on a limited time deal-thing on a game that constantly tries to nickel and dime you feels icky.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Dropbear posted:

How hard is it to get the rabbit by just grinding? I just got the offer, but spending 6€ on a limited time deal-thing on a game that constantly tries to nickel and dime you feels icky.

It's literally the best deal you can get in the game but Lucky is available through a few ways, but you're splitting your currencies away from other good options when you can just literally snag her for stupid cheap and be done with it.

And if you think this game constantly tries to nickel and dime you I sincerely recommend you avoid Marvel Future Fight or Marvel Strike Force because holy gently caress you tap anything in those games and they offer you GREAT BUNDLES AND DEALS*, where this game only does it when you get new characters.

*spend 25 USD and maybe not get enough shards for the character for your cost!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah I don't see it as nickel and diming at all. 5$ to get a character at a decently geared up level seems fair to me. And you aren't constantly bombarded with (lovely) offers.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Not quite at guild level yet, but looking for friends. Stacker#1HGX

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I don't see it as nickel and diming at all. 5$ to get a character at a decently geared up level seems fair to me. And you aren't constantly bombarded with (lovely) offers.

Eh, everytime you recruit someone it gives you a lovely offer.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

twistedmentat posted:

Eh, everytime you recruit someone it gives you a lovely offer.

It should say something about the state of mobile games when that is almost unanimously preferable to the way similar games do it. Recruitment becomes less common when you hit the mid-30's or so, versus when the game throws your starting light and dark teams at you. Other games will make offers when you move between screens, and tend to be priced much worse.

I mean, Marvel Strike Force had an offer where you spent 100 bucks and got a random assortment of character shards, which may or may not have amounted to a full character or a star level for a character, plus a random assortment of incredibly common and easy to get gear. All for an event which required you have that assortment of characters at 5-stars, which were not very common or easy to farm characters, to get another really good character. That offer would come up seemingly at random, with no ties to what you were doing; just, 'hey, you look like an idiot with a Benjamin, heyyyyy'

All in all AoM is pretty friendly so far in regards to slamming offers in your face. I probably haven't seen one in awhile and I can predict when the next one is, and that's incredibly nice compared to clicking on arena and getting a pop up saying 'YOU WANNA MAKE YOUR NERDS TOUGHER? 15 BUCKS AND THEY MIGHT BE TOUGHER' that I have to say no to twice.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Pigscat#13C1

Any more room in the clan or is there a secondary? I'll take whatever friends I can get in the meantime.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 3, 2018

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Possibly dumb question. Every time I fight Bellara in Arena, she has a permanent stealth buff (can't be attacked while at least one ally is alive). Where is this coming from?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So before I try this out I read some serious criticism on the subreddit, and I wanna ask if this is valid or not:

Regarding Grind and Ressources:

"Memeory spheres are a pain in AoM, no reason to have ANOTHER currency to limit the grind when you also have energy.

Also AoM has less free energy on the refreshes compared to MSF, has no clan (alliance) raids yet, but DOES have a cool little solo raid you can do daily (Tomb of Horrors)."

"Less content [than Marvel Strike Force], memory spheres are a bottleneck, leveling up materials are a bottleneck, ability materials are a bottleneck, healers are insanely OP, and free energy is a bit stingy.
That being said, this is my 2nd favorite game of this genre and has potential."

"People keep saying MSF was greedy and the truth is MSF is by far the most F2P friendly game of this type I have ever seen, moreso with the recent changes.[...]
AoM is not as F2P friendly as MSF since gear grinding, lvl up currency, shard farming and arena competition all require more dedication (or money) from the player. However, you can enjoy the game as F2P anyway. It's all a matter of perspective and expectations.

The spheres should go so the game is better for everyone, it doesn't make sense to limit this currency to the player."

Regarding Azariel:

"This was indisputably a cash grab hero. If you don’t buy her you are not competitive. Quite literally they nerfed comparative healers at the same time they released her; this is her meta. As intended by playkot’s greedy sense of ethics with poor balancing."

"If you aim for top 100 or higher ranking in Arena she is worth it, since almost everyone purchases her at those ranks. Otherwise pass on it.

I did not buy her and I'm at a disadvantage in Arena, but it is not impossible to compete, just a bit harder."

Gameplay mechanics regarding Healer+Revive setups:

"I agree. It’s not so bad against one[Healer/Reviver], but the xaart, aza, lucky combo is terrible and not fun at all to play against. Even if you manage to pull off a win a single fight can take ten minutes because you have so many revive/heal/1 hp left mechanics. You basically are just waiting for the first crit that can take out a character when revives are on cd. It’s not a fun mechanic for endgame"

Regarding Progression:

"This game I've played for about four or five days now and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing or what I'm trying to aim for other than trying to reach max level asap but I just hit level 30 and I've come to a dead stop in progression because my characters are still too weak to actually 3star any nodes for the level I'm at."

So how is this game „better“ than MSF?
I would like to read Goons opinions who played both several months :engleft:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Hey, those are all valid points but that one about Azariel and the arena? Yeah, that's not something that's a problem solely with Age of Magic. In MSF, it was Black Widow. In AoM, you can start buying Azariel shards once you hit account level 50 (i'm two weeks in and at 46; people who haven't quite whaled as hard as me are 42-43). Would it make the arena battles/defense more chancey if i didn't buy her. You bet. But i also built my other characters to be strong so i don't even think i'd be out of my current rewards bracket. Getting into that top 100 bracket was always a whale game. In MSF, you still can't grind out BW and the the other heavy hitters like a decently equipped Spider-Man and/or Hand Sentry and/or Kingpin and/or 6* Crossbones aren't exactly something you get in the early game.

A lot of this is all well and/or good but it's all pretty much symptoms of how these games play. Really, and i might be looking at this from too jaded a view point, but the whole thing kinda reads like whoever wrote it was upset that their MSF crew up and left. Especially since after four or five days in either game, yeah, you're still going to be flailing in either game. AoM might have it a bit worse because the starting light side characters are pretty much garbage but that's also why we push things like "Kobold Team Best Team" and "Buy The Bunny Healer."

In the end, the genre of game that includes Age of Magic and Marvel Strike Force is a land of contrasts. It just depends how much time you want to spend grinding up no name fantasy characters as opposed to well known super heroes.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mr.PayDay posted:

Regarding Progression:

"This game I've played for about four or five days now and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing or what I'm trying to aim for other than trying to reach max level asap but I just hit level 30 and I've come to a dead stop in progression because my characters are still too weak to actually 3star any nodes for the level I'm at."

So how is this game „better“ than MSF?
I would like to read Goons opinions who played both several months :engleft:

Some of that is valid. The memory spheres are similar to tickets in GoH; they start out a problem, and eventually they aren't anymore. Energy seems to be about the same as GoH, but gets expensive faster. You will play this less than GoH or MSF, which isn't a bad thing. Arenas are next patch.

The azarial meta isn't as bad as people make it to be; fighting those teams is a giant pain, but Kobold Slinger lets you knock the 1hp buff off, and none of the three healer characters really do a ton of damage so you can heal through their poo poo pretty easily with lucky/kobolock (and kobolock hits like a truck, he just lacks a rez). This game is definitely in early stages; parts of the campaign aren't reachable, some of the characters you see aren't recruitable, etc.

on the plus side, there's no bullshit blitz, and they haven't reworked lovely worthless characters into gods of arena when paired with a new character (Looking at you, city brawlers + Ms Marvel) that completely destroy the older meta, then follow that up with another character that is designed to wreck arena playstyles.

MSF is not as free to play friendly BECAUSE it's harder to farm characters, and characters are more important than gear, and their release calendar + gambling on shards via orbs means that you'll have to spend 100's to even unlock a characterm and it constantly throws bad offers in your face.

Spending dollars on each character in AoM costs a set amount that guarantees you the character at a certain star level and continues from there, there aren't a ton of offers thrown in your face.

The gear farming complaint is legit, but not really any worse than any other game of this style - with the exception of memory orbs. The one thing that MSF did REALLY well was ditch the replay currency altogether.

As for the complaint I highlighted - kind of legitimate, but that's mainly because the starting LS characters are trash, and getting LS characters requires you to get fairly far into DS hards, which requires you to farm a hard team (kobolds). The other option is Tomb or Horror, but that doesn't open until 40. So when people tell you to buy the bunny (because it's ridiculously good, as is standard for the first offered character purchase in these kind of games) do it, and when they tell you to farm kobolds take it with a grain of salt and realize you could farm kobolds enough to start farming demons and farm those instead (farm kobolds).

With either of those teams you need to progress dark missions to where you can farm up your Light characters, and then it's back and forth to get gear levels. That seemed pretty straight forward to me, but it isn't explicitly laid out anywhere, but it also seems easier than MSF's get a heros team, get a villains team, combine them, split them into mystic, split them into cosmic, try to master all the storylines to level up merc sniper so you can finally do a 7* heist.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Hey guys, I need a second clan made asap. Who can make it?

I’ll pimp the poo poo out of it and get you filled up with goons no problem.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Hey guys, I need a second clan made asap. Who can make it?

I’ll pimp the poo poo out of it and get you filled up with goons no problem.

I just made one.

DontTrustICR seemed like a fitting name.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

It’s true. This is the perks of knowing Relentless alllllll too well

Start joining pals. And discord too!!!!!

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Anyone joining the new clan, feel free to add me, Chuds_McGreedy#10IL. Got a level 61 bad guy Xaart and good guy Angrim for help.

Edit: The #10IL is one zero I L. I didn’t pick it.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 4, 2018

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

It looks like it's going to be tough to get all my kobolds to 5* before the event starts since I don't have much time to play daily. Any tips? :smith:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

vulturesrow posted:

It looks like it's going to be tough to get all my kobolds to 5* before the event starts since I don't have much time to play daily. Any tips? :smith:

Whale harder. Wait until it rolls around again. Seems to be a monthly-ish deal so just gotta keep on trucking. i've been playing for two weeks and there is a chance i can get very close to five 5*, 5 gear, level 50 kobolds by the time the next Rakon event ends. Not guaranteed, RNGesus and leveling mats being what they are, but it's pretty much guaranteed for next month's go around. i'd probably be guaranteed if i didn't also start pushing the dwarves.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Thanks for your answers AoM Goons, if I try this out and stick to it I might join the second Goon Kobold Clan 🕺

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Relentless posted:

I just made one.

Pigscat#13C1 request sent

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Relentless posted:

I just made one.

Gonna apply to it now.

Applied as twistedrok.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Just wanted to post here before hitting up the discord, in as TheJumpoff#16SM, but not high enough to join a guild yet. My only question is what should i spend the 150 gold i have on? I'm not going to spend any money on this beyond the 5 bucks i spent on Lucky so i want to min/max the crap out of my spending what i get.

Also going to add a bunch of goons because i need friend hero's

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Arena, tournament, and 10g from the last node of Tomb of Horrors are currently the only ways to earn gold. Scuttlebutt on the AoM discord is raids are coming so who knows what rewards those will be.

Only use gold on energy refreshes, the first two per day are 50g a piece and give 120 energy and 20 memory spheres.

Edit: I meant to say the rumor is Raids are next patch. Arena is going to be your daily source of gold. A good tip to remember to get a leg up on your competition in your shard is that the meta is 2-3 healers.

Lucky and the more expensive Azariel are top tier, another two you see often are Xaart and Hargrim. Don’t worry about Hargrim until you unlock Tomb of Horrors, concentrate on Xaart with your arena currency and maybe Kobolock with his node in the Valley.

I never bought Az and use Lucky, Xaart, and Hargrim. I have a 6* Kobolock on the bench for B Team.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 5, 2018

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just started and looking for friends Bam#18V3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I hit 28 and sent a request to join DontTrustICR.