Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's somewhat endearing, yes, but I think more people would be giving it poo poo if there wasn't Reborn to compare it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Is that MapleStory Geodude?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

One doesn't simply "outspeed" a Mega Beedrill, with a 145 speed it leaves Dodrio in the dust. The only turn it's vulnerable to being outsped is the turn it transforms. That's why a fair number of competitive Mega Beedrill sets pack Protect to keep them from being one-shotted before they're up to speed.

They changed that in Gen 7, so depending on if Insurgence is using those mechanics or not you just might not be able to outspeed it at all with a similarly leveled mon.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

serefin99 posted:

I'm slow, what's the joke?

Not really a joke, just that the "detailed statues" are previous victims of the cockapidgey.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Are we? I count two: Suntouched City and its Sun themed gym and Vipik City and its Forest themed gym. Are you certain you're not confusing it with Reborn, which is about 7 badges deep at this point and still not even halfway done with the plot?

You're correct, we've only gotten two badges in this LP, the level curve is just weird so it feels like we should've had more.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

The hard part is adjusting your writing to account for multiple branches, technically it's really simple.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright then! First off, I don't know how common this is for fan-games, but the performance is godawful.

Par for the course. They're all made with Essentials, which is for RPG Maker XP. As the name suggests, XP was designed to run on Windows XP and plays super poorly with anything even resembling a modern system.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Well, yes, but if Essentials was based on a more modern engine even the amount of poo poo it messes with would run significantly better.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

After trying out one or two other RPGmaker games of this type, I can confidently say that no, it really isn't par - it's way, way worse. Like, you wouldn't believe how much worse. I don't know what the guy did to make the game chug that much, but holy crap is it bad. If the whole fusion mechanic wasn't literally the most original and interesting thing any pokemon hack or fangame has ever done, I wouldn't recommend even bothering.

Ah, well, given I hadn't played it I was just assuming it was the usual "Essentials doesn't run well" type slow. Sounds like whatever scripts he added to allow the fusion to work just exacerbated the standard issues.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Black Robe posted:

It honestly sounds vaguely familiar, I've definitely heard that story outline before. Which probably means it came up in a Pokemon thread on here, since I don't really go anywhere near the fandom in general. Maybe the Uranium LP?

Yeah, sounds like something that came up in the Uranium thread. Probably when we thought the mom was gonna be the evil pokemon.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So the plot of Emerald could have been solved fairly quick if they just got a bunch of Golducks?

Yeah, but only as long as the Golducks were around. Cloud Nine removes the effects of weather rather than removing the weather itself.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Malah posted:

I wonder what his game is atm. Why is he here, and why did he go out of his way to bring us with him? I'm guessing he's about to gank Persephone and/or steal her cult, but I'd be thrilled for him to subvert expectations.

At the very least his current motivation seems to be trying to stop Persephone from enslaving Darkrai, which is something that Amy's probably on board with and she's proven to be competent so not much harm bringing her along. At the very least one could accidentally be a distraction for the other to get things done.

As for future goals, sounds like world domination of a sort, given his comment about making abuse of pokemon illegal in his new world.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, this all seems more like they tried for a joke and it failed miserably (mostly because it went on waaaaaaay too long) rather than a deliberate attempt at being edgy. Not that it makes the end result any better or different, but it does make more sense given the context of the rest of the game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Specifically if he'd just tapped it first and then hit it with a big hit he wouldn't have caused the AI to keep healing it back to full.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

A fair bit of that was .hack//GU, and I have nooooo ideeeaaaa why DN would have put that in. :ssh:

I legitimately just started playing that game, so its inclusion here was neat.

Anyway, all of the deltas.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Elchar posted:

Tree Tentacools remind me of those treetop octopuses (octopi?) from Future is Wild. I know Tentacool is a jellyfish, not an octopus and it is not an intentional reference or anything... but I still find that neat.

Both octopuses and octopi are accepted pluralizations of octopus.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Qrr posted:

Everyone calling for cheating, I think that’s been asked about in the past and Insurgence is a lot more locked down than Reborn is.

It is, but shouldn't it be possible to use the same method used to get rare candies to get master balls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So while I don't think the ending was bad, I don't think I'd call it good either. It's just kinda there.

Though I do think I'd be a lot harsher on it if DoubleNegative hadn't said anything ahead of time. I was expecting something so much worse than what we got, so I'm sure part of my reaction of "meh" is because of relief it's not worse.