Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I’m looking for reading material that could be gifted politely to idiots. Here is a decent one to start.

You and Your Retarded Child. Kirk, Samuel A., Ph.D., Karnes, Merle B., Ed.D., and Kirk, Winifred D., M.S., The Educational Publishing Corp., Darieu, Conn., 1960, MacMillan Co., N. Y., 1955

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

cowofwar posted:

I’m looking for reading material that could be gifted politely to idiots. Here is a decent one to start.

You and Your Retarded Child. Kirk, Samuel A., Ph.D., Karnes, Merle B., Ed.D., and Kirk, Winifred D., M.S., The Educational Publishing Corp., Darieu, Conn., 1960, MacMillan Co., N. Y., 1955

I've ordered it for your folks, thanks for the gift recommendation

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
I prefer the 69 edition :heysexy:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/489989

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I got this,

https://www.amazon.com/Rescuing-Bible-Fundamentalism-Shelby-Spong/dp/0060675144

also, merle.bedb 1955 is a good username idea.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"You and your tardlette - A Beginners Guide to Tard Wrangling"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I remember when the editors of gq wrote their list of the greatest books and it was the worst garbage i had ever seen

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

the worst garbage i had ever seen

Turn on your monitor

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Why are scholarly works so freaking WORDY. Like, just get to the point already! Are they paid by the letter or something? And, no, I have no idea how academia works beyond 'publish or perish.'

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
That Chapo Trap House book.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Boondock-Sai...ock+saints+book

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Applewhite posted:

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Dude, why?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The OP wanted a book for idiots. I figured he meant, you know, to educate them or something.

If he meant a book you'd have to be an idiot to enjoy then I withdraw my suggestion.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Applewhite posted:

The OP wanted a book for idiots. I figured he meant, you know, to educate them or something.

In that case, I agree.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My biography

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Vato posted:

I have no idea how academia works beyond 'publish or perish.'
It doesn't. Academia loving sucks. It's basically selling your soul to be a used car salesman. Sell poo poo, get promotion. The quality of the science or whatever is irrelevant, all about H-factors, citations, impact factors and poo poo.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

cowofwar posted:

It doesn't. Academia loving sucks. It's basically selling your soul to be a used car salesman. Sell poo poo, get promotion. The quality of the science or whatever is irrelevant, all about H-factors, citations, impact factors and poo poo.

P-HACKING!!!!!!

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
10 Rules To Live By.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

cowofwar posted:

H-factors?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do I have to remind you that I like to sleep in a Barns and Nobles? It is funny when I just read Mad magazine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

did they ever finish making these movies

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Naruto

But in book form

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Doing Lots of Drugs and Having Tons of Nasty Sex
Aleister Crowley

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

brothers k, gift it to the top of their soft head, spine first and if they survive beat them to death with tolstoy, do not care if W+P or AK

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Vato posted:

H-factors?

How much you can trick people into referring to your published papers in their published papers. The trick is to publish poo poo that is obviously wrong. Lots of people will write about you being wrong! This poo poo counts as much as someone saying you're right. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

yoloer420 posted:

How much you can trick people into referring to your published papers in their published papers. The trick is to publish poo poo that is obviously wrong. Lots of people will write about you being wrong! This poo poo counts as much as someone saying you're right. Hooray!

That's hilarious. So, it's like 'hate-clicks' or 'hate-watching' but with papers? Man. Really is no such thing as bad publicity, I guess!

• Locked thread