Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ok, so im.new to the series. Just got X4 and the split expansion after stumbling onto a let's play and really enjoying the look of the game.

I've installed a handful of mods because I couldn't help myself, but I have a don't issue.

Im about 8 hours into a game and the Xenon are loving stomping the Teladi. They just lot their cool station with the ring thing and I only noticed as I just arrived to accept my promotion to level 10 rep with them and my rep person died.

So does that person come back for me to get my promotion

How the bell do I deal with 6 xenon destroyers when I've only got my trust dragon?
Im.playing VRO if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Thanks, I will have a look into that stuff.

Also, im building a station but I can't get hull parts delivered. Am I going to have to do the whole thing manually? My build keeps getting overlooked by the AI for some reason.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ok, I've assigned 2 Boa's to the station as building traders with just hull parts selected, will see how long that takes to fill now I guess.

Will make my next thing a hull part production plant.

How big is typically the right size for these things?

Do you typically build full vertical integration into a single station and make it self sufficient, if so do you only make 5 things or 20 things of the end product? I've done a couple of smaller stations on a previous play while getting a feel for the game and I did self contained things but only small scale, used an online calculator to work out the whole thing before hand.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So to supply your own production lines youre having to do it all manually?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I think that mule mod may help me ferrying about hull parts. Does anyone have any experience using it?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

D. Ebdrup posted:

Fwiw, I've had it not be the first one, on my most recent start.
That's also the start where it felt like I had some idea of what I was doing, which was kinda fun and a nice chance of pace, instead of just floundering around.

If you ever put down the game because you want to let it cook some more (my reason), I do encourage think starting over is a much better idea than picking up where you left off.

So far as I've been able to tell, the way each sector is designed is such that stations can be in different spots for each sector, depending presumably on some sort of initial seed feature which determines a bunch of universe-generation stuff.
I also get the impression that it may be possible for the Wharf and Shipyards of some of the factions (but not the Argon and Paraid?) to be in different sectors but haven't been able to completely confirm that.

I can totally 100% confirm this, I've only had the game a week ago but I've restarted countless times while trying to get a feel for it, trying the different starting options and different mods to work out what I wanted before investing 500 hours into something that just wasn't exactly what I wanted...

Several times I've had a wharf or shipyards etc in different sectors to what the out of game map I've been using have said. They've never been far away, but they have certainly changed. It's usually, from what I've seen, the Paranid and Teladi.

But then again, I could be 100% crazy after being locked in my house for weeks on end and having nobody else to talk to other than strangers on the internet. :iiam:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So, trying to meet Dal Busta on a SCA station but im -30 with them.

Any ideas?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, how? SCA relations are locked at -5 normally, are you using a mod?

Or I guess did you annoy that particular station recently?

The "point" allegedly of carriers is that they have launch tubes, which allows them to poo poo out their entire fighter complement very quickly, though they still take ages to recover them.

I don't know if the raptor has those because it has the massive grid of launch pads, but other ships should. Auxiliaries do not, and they also don't have many pads either so they will take a while to launch.

They got upset with me when I stole a destroyer from them apparently... And a L freighter.

Anyway I can fix it without shooting criminals for 5 hours

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

-30 is probably temporary rep. fly away somewhere else for a while and come back and your rep with the station should reset to -5

Thanks. I've not modded any faction rep so hopefully that's it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

OwlFancier posted:

Entire boron shipbuilding budget spent on gluing more filligree to the ships.

It looks cool if kind of stupid, but it definitely gives that bioluminescent deep sea feel.

They look very fragile imo.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Sample_text posted:

Tried a thing with a backup save I had of my Terran Campaign.

Made a full squad of Jian gunships with Meson Streams and full plasma turrets .

Personally used one to kill the engines off a K and took most of its shields down.

Then I call the rest FIFTEEN of them to finish it off.

They all died.

Most of them did not fire their main weapon despite being on their literal front and being a hitscan laser. Also one of the most expensive weapons in the game to buy and manufacture.

None of them shot their turrets, despite being in "attack my current enemy " mode, and them having clearly defined attack orders against it.

The AI does not work. Game is trash. Simple as that.

This is version 5.10 , going into 6.0.

Game is still a joke.

I "put in my dues". Learned the lovely ui, looked up explanations for all the convoluted mechanics , put over 100 hours into it. Got my own space station, manufactured my own ships.
It's all garbage, all the way down. The combat doesn't work, the weapons are poorly balanced, the performance is crap in busy battles, ACTUALLY BEING IN BATTLES causes you to lose them faster because the tiny dots on your minimap are not an accurate representation of what is actually happening, the AI cannot fly ships.

Game's poo poo, that's all there is to it.
There's no way this is a "75%" on Steam.

I don't know where and how badly x3 Rebirth hurt you people, because I never played it, but y'all have some serious stockholm syndrom defending this lel.

Can someone unironically explain to me how is this better than eternal meme machine Derek Smart's "universal battlecruiser line of defense in the sand" games?

I know this post is a couple of weeks old at this point, but I'm just catching up with the thread while i wait for kingdom end to launch.

However, this is also my first X game. I've no rose tinted glasses etc and I love the Jank..it's charming.

Trust me when I say it was far worse on release.

I've put just over 500 hours into this and often get frustrated and quit myself, but each year when they release a DLC, I buy it and play it for a little and get a little further.

I hope this time is the time I actually finish some story quests etc..anyway, that's a long way of saying, I think you and your expectations are the issue. You knew what you was getting into and stuck with it for longer than you wanted. That's on you, not the game.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Sample_text posted:

In all honesty, I hope you folks enjoy the dlc, and wanted to apologize for acting like a dick in my rants earlier.

I want to make it clear that it's the GAME I'm upset at, not any of the people in this thread.
I'm mad at the game because I can see some genuinely awe inspiring parts in it, which makes me actually rage when things that are so basic fall apart.
Like, with some cheapo early acess showelware on steam nobody would get ever get frustrated because obviously it was made without a care.
And eternal golden boy Chris Robert's Star Citizen, nobody would get that mad because the answer to something not working would invariably be either "it's a (permanent) alpha", or "it's a cash grab, all the money went into the spaceship graphics" , depending on which side of the fence you're in.

This very clearly was a passion project for these devs, which genuinely makes me rage when things that are so basic to the experience fall apart, and I see the game is version 5.10 and a initial release date of late 2018.

EDIT : This is like what if Adrian Monk was a video game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_NWZhaFuFc

Now I feel bad. :colbert:

But I'm also firmly in the "new to mount and blade" and also play football manager (but don't like football irl) camps. So I'm clearly a special case too

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Goons can you help me, I'm on a mission to stick with the game this play through, I do enjoy it but I often get stuck with things.

I've seen that in vanilla I should only use small or very large ships for my own stuff, but what about weapons? Some must obviously be better than others but I've literally no idea what to use.

When I played the split DLC on launch I really enjoyed those gattling laser things but other than that, I generally feel totally clueless as to what's better than what.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Blazing trail mission is doing my head in.

I've worked out the route multiple times and then finally got away from the things but having to put the nav beacons down doesn't seem to be working right

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

kingturnip posted:

Same. I tried picking all the beacons up again, but now it isn't generating any quest objectives. So I thought that taking a new quest might get it to reset, but I can't talk to the Boron I'm supposed to be transporting.
:ughh:

I got it right after bitching about it. If you take the route on the right, not the left works better.

Also auto pilot seems to navigate around the unsafe areas quite well so you can just drop nav beacons while doing that too.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

kingturnip posted:

You definitely have to go from the top to the bottom, too; so it sucks to be you if the Kha'ak decide to harass you all the way back to the other gate.

Just wait till the next mission... I really wish I had something a little heavier than this fighter.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm looking at a stream of the small skirmish with the bad guys after putting the nav beacons down and the streamer dude seems to be dealing a lot more damage and taking a lot more hits than I do...

I really do not understand why.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

DaveKap posted:

I claim ignorance if I'm wrong but you can access that campaign w/o using it as a start (I figured this out just a couple minutes ago) so maybe the streamer's just using an already-in-progress save?

Edit: Oh yeah I just accepted the mission and it just slips me into the new start's campaign, so maybe that's what streamer is doing. It certainly means I'll progress this way instead of starting anew with a crap ship in a save I won't keep anyway.

No, the guy I was watching has used a fresh save. He is new to X4 and arguably worse than me, which is saying something.

He was using the same fighter etc. I can only assume it's some mod thing from the trading scripts etc I'm using but it seems odd they would touch that.

Regardless I'm about to finish the quest line then I think I will restart with the other boron start, but with even less than the 10 minor mods I'm using now.

Maybe I'll just the crystal mods and the repair fleet one to make early game less grindy and leave it at that.

Oh and the crew exo because gently caress dealing with that system in any way shape or form

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

queeb posted:

i may be dumb, where the poo poo is the repair panel on the derelect ship?

If you're at the front of the ship, it's on the left side I think, kinda hidden behind some of the "mandibles". Look for a big red light

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
My god I'm an idiot. Turns out i accidentally enabled VRO and that's why poo poo wasn't working right.

Good job I'm restarting as a boron.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Less Fat Luke posted:

They give you a shorter start where you meet the Boron and discover their area and then the actual play-as-Boron start unlocks (from what I can tell so far).

You're still a human on the 2nd start. I've just started it and done the first episode. It's actually a really interesting start but I'm not going to say anything because of spoilers.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ignore what was here, I'm dumb.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 13, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ignore everything I said, im so stupid. Turns out I also missclicked and did a TOA start rather than the queen herald somehow. gently caress my life.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Can you clarify a bit in a spoiler? I unlocked the second start and I am definitely Boron for it so I'm not sure I'm missing something.

I don't know how many people care about spoilers in their economic war sim games but I sure don't :)

It was me being an absolute idiot. Basically, I've bought all the DLCs but not played them all as I'm bad and also easily distracted.

What happened was that I clicked on a Tides Of Avarice start, not the 2nd Boron one by mistake and got all excited my first mission was a jail break without realising it was the wrong one.

I may have to go back and play that start at some point though as it's fascinating and very unique.

Just to put it into context, I've already restarted the Boron DLC 3 times and I'm just about to restart it again for reasons but it will be the last the bloody time.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
It feels like they turn off the environment effects for the mission where you build the highway in that system too. Not once did I have any problems with AOE damage clouds or lightning while doing that mission.

It's still kinda annoying even after the highway is built because it still takes ages to autopilot around that system. I don't like the way it's designed at all.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've just downloaded the friendly fire tweaks because the Boron kept getting pissed at me for shooting ka'aak and my turrets missing and hitting a carrier.

The same carrier that now parked in the AOE clouds and a bug stops me getting into the cockpit of my ship.

So I've sent it away, only for it to almost blow up..hopefully when I fix it and bring it back I can get onboard.

Edit: one of the Boron persons of Interest was guarding the carrier in a fighter too and just blew up. Hopefully they're not important to a later quest!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Subjunctive posted:

Are there good streamers of X4? This game looks like my kind of crazy (thanks to BSD for pointing me at it) but I’d like to absorb some context in the background a bit while I’m waiting for a chance to sit down and seriously play. I watched one starter video by a guy who was celebrating 100 subscribers, but maybe there’s someone more polished out there.

So, one of the reasons I've restarted a bunch so far in the last few days, is that I'm looking to do my first ever let's play as it's something I've always wanted to try my hand at.

I've got an idea on how to make things a bit different and stand out, on top of me being pretty new to game/franchise if I'm honest.

I've just condensed 4 hours of footage down to about 1.5 and tomorrow I'm planning to try and get it down to under an hour as I still have a bunch of useless stuff in there.

Once I've got this first one done, I want to do it in a long format with minimal editing so people can point poo poo out to me and also learn from my cocking it up too. I'll post a link once it's done with some more details explaining my plan as I'm a little fried right now as it's 4am.

However if you want something more polished etc, again CPT Collins seems quite decent and that's who's I've mainly watched for up to date stuff.

Cohhcarnage has his old streamVODs up for him last playthrough too but that's a little old at this point.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

OwlFancier posted:

The game can be very pretty sometimes.

Yes it can. I'm genuinely impressed with the new look in 6.0. I wish one day egosoft manage to do a similar pass on their character models and animations though.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Antigravitas posted:

You need to:

• Add the ware to the station in station overview via "Select Trade Wares"
  • Optional: Disable "automatic storage allocation" and set an explicit allocation so you don't overstock
  • Optional: Buy Offer: Add a trade rule that only allows your own ships to trade with the station
  • Add a Sell Offer
  • Optional: Sell Offer: Set a fixed price so you can tell when storage fills up. Automatic pricing drops the price as storage fills up, but you usually don't actually want dumping prices.

If should look something like this:

So you're buying at 56 and selling at 55?

Or does that mean your minimum sale price is 55 and they will sell automagically to anyone who's willing to buy at over 55?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never done anything but Vanilla with Mules, improved pilot exp, and some random minor things like kill credit and paint job stuff and it's been just fine. Mules are just because auto-trade and pilot skill sucks this time around (just mine the thing you're right next to jesus).

It's not like X3AP where it was XRM or bust or anything

Don't get me started on crew skill. It really annoys me..

I also like the mods for automagically collecting things in space, reduced build times for station modules, even at 1m a piece it takes forever to build stuff, secret stash because I think it's not unreasonable for someone to be a smuggler if they decided and fly by lock box for the same reason as the fly by looting. It's just effort to mess about with the lockboxes etc for such a minor gain IMO.

I sometimes play with the mineable resources using 1 volume mod too just to kickstart the game.

Edit: I also like the V3 advanced satellite mod even though they're insanely expensive and the one that adds the survey units so you don't need to manually find the "perfect" spots for your resource proves/fly to every single station to know what they are.

Do all of kuertee's mods still work? I've never seen them before and I'd be interested to try them out..

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 17, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
My personal opinion is that for the price, you may as well just grab them all.

I've never stuck with the game more than 10 hours or so and have restarted many, many times since release. I'm by no means an expert but I've enjoyed messing with all the stuff repeatedly. I've still got my moneys worth out of them all.

Edit: esp while it's on sale.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I need a little help, I had a M class miner blow up while trying to mine Nividium last night, in sanctuary of darkness.

Obviously my fault for placing a resource probe out of curiosity, which I've since deleted.

However, if I use global options/black list on the system to say, I think it's no system activity, will they stop mining but still be allowed to fly through the sector or will it prevent them for flying through too?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
That's actually what I was considering, I did see a post somewhere, possibly here, about setting up trade stations either side and just having them linked with M class traders to transfer goods as it's a god awful system..

I hope egosoft patch it pretty quickly tbh.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
The highway construction mission? It was certainly a longer and busier mission than I expected at the start of the playthrough that's for sure.

The only reason I was annoyed about that M miner dying in the sanctuary of darkness is because it's my first mining ship. It brought on a load of Nividium home before dying horribly at least. Just means it's going to take me a while to replace it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Sir nukes mod api thingie has people saying that it's not working right in 6.0

I've no mods running that rely on it currently, but does anyone else have an issues? I know a lot of mods rely on it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
You guys are all so much further into this than I am..I'm a little jealous.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Are we talking about FAF or ZYN here? Cause I don't actually know the difference.

I like their ships though.

RE Free space etc, I only ever played the first freespace when I was a kid and I remember playing it vividly..it was exceptionally good, having to pick the right ship for the job etc. I'll never forget the final mission when you have to traverse that massive distance to go get back to the battle or something, I forget the specifics, but over the Comms they're telling you how important it is that you get back as quick as you can and wish you godspeed. The whole build your too, not knowing who the enemy was at the start etc etc.

Was the 2nd one as good?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Unfortunately I'm a bit of a graphics snob (ironic I know, as I'm playing X4 right now) so it's unlikely I'll ever play freespace 2 unless they remaster it or something.

So FAF are bad guys, The monarch is cool and the free people are just split that don't believe in the monarchy? Interesting.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Thom12255 posted:

Bernd released a video about the beta and shows an X5 folder at 14:55 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafAmFaAzrg

I was thinking about this earlier and was going to ask here, how long after X3 did X4 come out after they finished with expansions etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I read both effort posts on travel drives and highways - and I think you're both right, and that both should disappear from the game.
It gives SETA a reason to exist, and still lets you fly around in SETA if you wanna get somewhere fast.

I'm very tempted to grab the no-travel mods for when I start my next playthrough.

The best thing about X4 is probably just how utterly different each save is - to the point that even without the player doing anything, the various factions end up in entirely different places, even if you start with the exact same seed.

Freespace + Silent Threat and Freespace 2 are my favorite games of all time, and you can buy them on GOG.

With the game bought, you can follow this guide to get a much-updated version of the Freespace 2 engine with much better textures, the full Freespace 1 + Silent Threat + 2 campaigns available to play through as a single pilot (meaning you can rack up all those sweet sweet medals), and much much more (there's several total conversion mods).
In case any of the links don't work, check the hard-light forums.

Alternatively, you can also use the Knossos launcher, it does basically the same thing and might be easier in the year 2023 since it doesn't need Java.

:aaaaa:

Also, here's a timestamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafAmFaAzrg&t=894s

Apologise for double posting but I really appreciate this reply and I'll try to find time to check the game out as it really does sound amazing. Everyone's gone on about it for over 2 decades at this point and that can't be for no reason.