Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Wondering if someone has an answer for this. I destroyed a xenon defense station. It's was basically right where I want to drop my own defense station and it looks like the plot for the destroyed xenon station is preventing me from building.

Any way to get rid of that?

I could be wrong, but it should just disappear on its own after a little while. You probably need to destroy the construction storage though - off to one side there'll be a large docking bay (a really minimalistic/skeletal one, so it's not bulky) that's attached to a bunch of storage containers. When I was in your situation, I destroyed the station, blew the storage up, then just went and did something else ingame for a short while (just tweaking a station for a bit - not long) and then it disappeared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
wait, does this mean that boso ta is leaving? nooooo he's my pal

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Don't worry, he's absolutely going to ask you to help him move.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GaylordButts posted:

Don't worry, he's absolutely going to ask you to help him move.

And for some reason the process will have exorbitant resource and credit requirements, rivalling even full planet terraforming costs :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At least he’ll be able to swim freely now, instead of being stuck in a smallish tank.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
We can help him move by teleporting our phq on top of the boron headquarters.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

We can help him move by teleporting our phq on top of the boron headquarters.
I'm sure nothing bad will come from that!

It's definitely not how I managed to turn two allies into enemies in one of my playthroughs.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Xenon.
I bouught on release, and have had a Lot of playthroughs, yes, I am also auty Af, anyway, yeah, your experience with the Xenon is going to kinda diffferent each playthrough, although them just streamrollin' tf out of everything happens a little less often, it would be nice to be able to starve them out realistically by controlling their access to mining/ sun.
yeah, the ffucking weapons are dire, the previous system off ammo/power/heat throttling blatt power might have been 2 complex 4 u?
We also need smol turrents
Also looking fforewards to both a boron presence and a kha'ak resuurgence.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I am super enjoying re-remembering how to play this game after basically reaching infinite money a couple(?) years ago

It's just the perfect mix of awesome and completely frustrating.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Tried a thing with a backup save I had of my Terran Campaign.

Made a full squad of Jian gunships with Meson Streams and full plasma turrets .

Personally used one to kill the engines off a K and took most of its shields down.

Then I call the rest FIFTEEN of them to finish it off.

They all died.

Most of them did not fire their main weapon despite being on their literal front and being a hitscan laser. Also one of the most expensive weapons in the game to buy and manufacture.

None of them shot their turrets, despite being in "attack my current enemy " mode, and them having clearly defined attack orders against it.

The AI does not work. Game is trash. Simple as that.

This is version 5.10 , going into 6.0.

Game is still a joke.

I "put in my dues". Learned the lovely ui, looked up explanations for all the convoluted mechanics , put over 100 hours into it. Got my own space station, manufactured my own ships.
It's all garbage, all the way down. The combat doesn't work, the weapons are poorly balanced, the performance is crap in busy battles, ACTUALLY BEING IN BATTLES causes you to lose them faster because the tiny dots on your minimap are not an accurate representation of what is actually happening, the AI cannot fly ships.

Game's poo poo, that's all there is to it.
There's no way this is a "75%" on Steam.

I don't know where and how badly x3 Rebirth hurt you people, because I never played it, but y'all have some serious stockholm syndrom defending this lel.

Can someone unironically explain to me how is this better than eternal meme machine Derek Smart's "universal battlecruiser line of defense in the sand" games?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Does anybody want to know what happens when you do something really silly but you don't realize it's silly until much later as the simulation runs long enough to expose how silly your plan was?

Welcome to hell:

Edit: This is a silicon collection station with 9 L docks. But it has 90 miners working from it. And it is the primary source of silicon for my 2 Computronic Substrate facilities next door. Traffic jam of the century.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Sample_text posted:

Can someone unironically explain to me how is this better than eternal meme machine Derek Smart's "universal battlecruiser line of defense in the sand" games?

I feel for you my dude. Like I said literally the post before yours, this game can be mega frustrating and there are tons of times I'm sitting there like 'why isn't this working'. But when it works, it's beautiful. Getting more of those moments is what keeps me going even when my ships do something stupid like park on top of a xenon defense station and lose 3-4 destroyers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If it helps you feel any better that shieldless K was going to roll your gunships even if they did fight back

I've never had them not open fire though, mine are almost suicidal about it

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

If it helps you feel any better that shieldless K was going to roll your gunships even if they did fight back

I've never had them not open fire though, mine are almost suicidal about it

This could easily be solved by a "form on my wing and just shoot whatever is ahead of you" command.

They die because they NOSEDIVE the thing with a 5 km range weapon.
Just holding position and shooting at whatever's in their range would literally solve this.
How is that NOT A function in the game after this was released in 2018 jesus christ?

Do these people actually HAVE a person who programs AI or basic commands or do the interns do it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe that keeping range is actually tied to the piloting skill, they fly like idiots when they are low skill. If you cheat in a bunch of 5 star pilots you might find they behave a little more intelligently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsAAtj0Zz0

I don't imagine they will suddenly become brilliant but perhaps slightly less idiotic at least. X has never had balanced or sensible combat I'm afraid though. It just doesn't seem to be something they're interested in doing. There's a reason people primarily buy it for the economic simulation aspect.

Corvettes (or frigates, whatever they call them now) are not good ships in general also, they're too slow to be good fighters and not heavily armed enough to be capitals. They tend to die extremely easily because they can be shot down by anti-capital weapons while not really contributing anti-capital firepower. About the only thing you might use them for is guarding miners because they can take on light fighters OK, but I would otherwise restrict ship usage to either the biggest ships you can get, or ships which maximise speed, firepower, and disposability. So something like mass produced split fighters, or discos or something, a ship which costs the bare minimum to manufacture, has the fewest engine slots you have to fill, but which can mount as many guns as possible and then drown the enemy in those ships tube launched from a carrier. Basically just manned combat drones.

In X3 corvettes were interesting, but X3 in general had much wider gulfs between ships, to the point that heavier ships were basically completely invulnerable to smaller ones and could kill arbitrary numbers of them. A heavy fighter could annihilate light fighters, a corvette could annihilate a heavy fighter, a small capital could annihilate corvettes (although M7s were a bit undergunned) and a proper capital would annihilate light capitals.

They also of course had the M7M, which was a ship which could singlehandedly destroy entire sectors if you could afford enough missiles to put on it. Just infinite waves of missiles launched across the sector to destroy every ship and station in it, at the cost of millions of credits in ammunition.

X has no idea how balance works and never has.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 30, 2023

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Ok welp, gonna go back to Starsector then. Never fought the giant space Doritos, maybe I'll try that,

Can we at least dispel the myth that these are some "niche games for big brained space game enthusiasts" , and instead just janky, barely functioning , should've been early access eurojank where the big brain is needed to untangle the UI worse than Blender 2.7 ?

EDIT: Like I've heard people call this the S.T.A.L.K.E.R of space games. And lol no, not even close.
Stalker WORKS. I has bugs, but the systems work together and give you a very clear idea of what the developers were going for .

EDIT 2: In retro I feel bad for using the term "eurojank" . I am from Eastern Europe, and have played some really obscure space game poo poo out there like ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lctIzr5Edo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JiwC-tghc

When I mean the game is bad, I have played some weird janky poo poo that I still managed to pull some enjoyment out of......

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that a myth? I dunno i just quite enjoy the game. I certainly on the whole enjoy it a lot more than X3 for all its faults, X3's interface was utterly unusable and the economic sim was extremely underdeveloped. You can make complex production chains but the wider world economy is not really real, a lot of stuff is spawned out of nowhere while X4 as far as I am aware is almost entirely simulated production.

I think X4 is fundamentally a first person economy/managment game set in space. If you don't primarily enjoy engaging with the economic aspect it probably doesn't have very much to offer, it isn't a particularly good space shooter and the plots are primarily geared around giving you a reason to do economic stuff.

I would probably say that the early stalker games are a decent comparison, Call of Pripyat is much more structured, polished, and coherent as a title, but Shadow of Chernobyl is similarly poorly put together I think, X4 is much better developed in the economy aspect than X3 is in that it has a fully simulated economy, which previous games did not have and the interface is vastly improved too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 30, 2023

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Is that a myth? I dunno i just quite enjoy the game. I certainly on the whole enjoy it a lot more than X3 for all its faults, X3's interface was utterly unusable and the economic sim was extremely underdeveloped. You can make complex production chains but the wider world economy is not really real, a lot of stuff is spawned out of nowhere while X4 as far as I am aware is almost entirely simulated production.

I think X4 is fundamentally a first person economy/managment game set in space. If you don't primarily enjoy engaging with the economic aspect it probably doesn't have very much to offer, it isn't a particularly good space shooter and the plots are primarily geared around giving you a reason to do economic stuff.

I would probably say that the early stalker games are a decent comparison, Call of Pripyat is much more structured, polished, and coherent as a title, but Shadow of Chernobyl is similarly poorly put together I think, X4 is much better developed in the economy aspect than X3 is in that it has a fully simulated economy, which previous games did not have and the interface is vastly improved too.

I don't know what to tell you about "the economic aspect".

I played something like 400+ hours of Factorio, and very little of that was concerned with "how can I kill the bugs faster"?
A ton of my time in Starsector was spent thinking of how I can corner the market on stuff like space fuel.
I don't need this to be a pew pew laser guns shooter, but if this game's economy is funneled into war via space fleets, the space fleets sucking raises the question "but what's the point tho?"
Imagine that if you get enough money you could just hire a giant Terran fleet to go nuke the xenon for you. Starsector has a mod that lets you spend cash to hire giant , customize-able fleets to do everything from nuke pirate stations that are a thorn in your rear end, to patrolling your stuff to keep it safe.

Or..... if Egosoft knew their combat was poo poo, just give me a giant GDI orbital Ion Cannon that costs a shitton of money to build and maintain , but obliterates anything I point it at from across the sector. It would be a nice end game objective to grind towards .

I start out in a fighter. My first tasks involve combat. As the terran caded start, one of the first things you can unlock is your teammate's lost heavy fighter. Am I unreasonable for expecting the combat to work?
Am I unreasonable to ask for my squadmates to follow on my wing and shoot at stuff roughly in front of them when the first guy that talks to me has no problem flying in formation and being genuinely competent at gunning down Xenon?

Simply HAVING some giant economical simulation happening isn't really that impressive if it's used for things that are bad. Case in point : No Man's Sky had its big "massive procedural universe with infinite planets" from day one. It was made by like what, 50 people? But nobody cared because the game surrounding it was dogshit, and it took several years worth of patching the stuff that the big procgen universe is USED FOR to make the game half-decent.

That Derek Smart comparison wasn't just made because I used to frequent the Star Citizen thread and heard the jokes and memes. This kind of "complexity for complexity 's sake , marvel in my ambition, pay no attention to the fact that nothing works right" really WAS the way ol' Derek made his games, and why all of them are still universally considered jokes despite being genuinely ambitious for their time.

Lastly, I actually went back and took out my 5 star auto-trader pilots and put them in the gunships. They still did the same thing, nosedived into the destroyer and got obliterated.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

I dunno game seems to work fine over here :shrug:

Sometimes you just don't "get" a game and that's perfectly fine. Like for me the last few games I didn't "get" that come to mind were Risk of Rain 2, and Red Dead 2. I could appreciate they were good games, but they just didn't work for me.

I don't know of any other game than x4 that you could realistically claim is simulating an entire miniature eve online for you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's okay to not like games, it's also okay to like them.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sample_text posted:

Can we at least dispel the myth that these are some "niche games for big brained space game enthusiasts" , and instead just janky, barely functioning , should've been early access eurojank where the big brain is needed to untangle the UI worse than Blender 2.7 ?

No

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
that’s a lot of words but congratulations or sorry for your loss

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The combat does work, it's just not really very good. Flying around in a fighter and shooting up other fighters works OK but is not enormously exciting. Using a small-medium ship to disable key elements of a large ship to board or destroy it, also works but is a little repetative after a while. Flying around in a capital ship focusing primarily on positioning, directing fire to important targets, and commanding a support fleet also works, although the AI is a bit dim. Hopefully the new patch will improve fleet performance, it seems like they are showing big improvements to formation movement and orders so we will see.

But the point of the game being economically driven is that you, personally, can't really contribute very much on the large stage. The enemies you fight are extremely numerous and spread across the entire game world, the majority of the effect you have is in your ability to prop up the economy of other factions and produce huge, autonomous fleets which you are going to have very little personal involvement with. Nobody in the universe has the level of self preservation instinct that you personally have, because you personally are smart enough to not fly into things that will get you killed. The AI isn't, because if it was the game would be really boring. You are an FPS player in an RTS world, everyone and everything in the world is a brain dead murder robot, either literally or metaphorically, you mash giant piles of them into each other and watch the pretty laser show.

There are choices you can make if you watch the behaviour of ships in order to pick what you want to compose your force out of, as I said I think fighters and capitals are the best ships capability wise and mid size ships are best kept out of a large fight because they catch too much fire and are too expensive to build and equip, although some of them make excellent personal craft because you can mod them to be a lot faster and you have the intelligence to keep them safe. But ultimately yes, winning fights is going to mean getting a lot of your own ships killed pointlessly, because the entire economy relies on ships dying all the time.

The selling point of the game I think, is that after a while you realise that selling an expensive fighter to a faction, watching it fly out of the shipyard and into a xenon sector where it immediately get smacked by a destroyer, is the best possible outcome because what that represents is rocks your miners dragged out of the sky, ground up into bits, moved the bits around a whole bunch, and then arranged into a ship shaped object that someone was willing to pay you money for, and every step of vertical integration along that production process and the supporting crews of ten thousand people you built the housing and food plants to sustain, every bit of that made the conversion of space rocks into space money that bit more efficient. And the best thing that could possibly happen is if there are as many wars going on as possible to ensure every faction with a bank account has plenty of open slots in their naval tables, and they are all willing to come to you to fill them.

The game is a war profiteering simulator that happens to allow you to fly a spaceship if you want to. You might even eventually feel like you have transcended the concept of money and your industry can be directly employed to make whatever changes to the structure of the galaxy you feel are appropriate. Wipe out factions, conquer territory from the xenon, terraform their home planets, whatever you feel like. There are not many games that have that level of scale in them I think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 30, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I dunno. I got the impression that dude wanted to not like the game and then found lots of reasons not to like the game.
I can also find lots of reasons to not like a game. And then I don't play it.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've played a little bit of X3 and a moderate amount of X4. I'm super excited about the new expansion. I find the Boron to be super cool and I've really missed them. I think I'm going to start a new game I just need to try and be more ruthless. I'm a softie and don't want to start to many wars. Except HOP. gently caress them.

Random question: What are the different archetypes for the different race's ships? I know a few but not all of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Argon are default space mans, they have default space ships. They used to live in the middle of the old grid-shaped western bit of the map before the gates turned off and on again. They are actually humans from earth who got stranded during the early human experimentation with the gate system and then forgot that earth existed.

Boron have weird organic technology and sort of grow their ships so they have these absurd deep sea fish designs because they are fish people. They also are sort of pacifists historically so they are the designers of a lot of the ion weaponry to disable shields and things. Historically get on well with the argon, do not like the split because the split are assholes. Used to live directly north of the argon in the old gate alignment. I will say that although the X4 designs are ridiculous from an engineering perspective they do look better than the big green turds they flew around in in X3. I think I get what they were going for but man those were some ugly loving textures on some low poly models. The X4 ships I think hit the mark better. Their scientific knowledge is historically very advanced but they don't use it to make guns (except the ion guns that don't kill people) and by the looks of the trailer they seem to have managed to cobble together a working gate under their own power, or at least have done something to it because that isn't a standard gate.

Paranid are god bothering weirdos who have very good technology and favour very sleek designs for everything, also historically have exotic energy weapon tech and shields/engines a notch above most other factions. In X4 I think their shields/engines are good in particular ways but they also have downsides. Do not historically like the argon. Used to live directly south of the argon in the old gate alignment. Their ships are usually quite fast and well shielded, and historically had access to a number of powerful energy weapons (although some of them were an absolute liability to use because they would kill basically anything near the ship, looking at you phased shockwave generator)

Teladi are space traders, their ships are extremely industrial and in X3 are basically flying piles of girders and rusty metal plates (or more likely "teladianium" which I think is a kind of ferro-ceramic they developed on their homeworld, there's an alternate production chain in X4 that uses it for metal plates) and they generally have massive cargo space and decent hulls. X4 I think gives them good travel drives but bad normal engines. Their ships, for traders, are oddly very slow, but that's because they emphasise cargo capacity over getting anywhere quickly. They generally get along with everybody because they act as a neutral trading faction. They also have kinetic weapons that use ammo, in X3 they get gauss cannons and space machine guns which bypass shields. Some might say this is because these are practical, low cost weapons, but the real heads know that it is because obviously the teladi prefer weapons where you have to sell people ammunition for them. In X4 they lose the flying scrapyard designs and instead go with big mushroom ships, though their smaller craft do retain the emphasis on exposed pipework and such, much more organic overall in shape however, though still covered in scorched armour plate because they don't waste money on paint. A highlight of teladi ships in X4 is that you can use their scouts as couriers. The argon do sell an actual courier which fills a similar role, but even their scout ships are roughly on par with some small trader ships, if you want to do lots of tiny trades you could do worse than assigning a swarm of kestrels to a station as traders, though they use a lot of engine components so the argon courier or the terran frog are better options IMO.

Split are space assholes who conquer and enslave everyone they can. Their ships are geared around massive forward firepower and speed at the expense of everything else. They have the fastest, most heavily armed, but also most flimsy and poorly shielded craft in the game, and cargo space is limited to whatever you can stuff behind the pilot seat. I don't think anyone particularly likes the split but I think the paranid sort of get along with them and the teladi don't give a poo poo as long as they can trade. Because the argon and boron are quite close allies and the split see the boron as prime real estate, I think the argon have been in conflict with the split in the past, and are again in X4. Split used to live directly east of the boron in the old gate alignment but in the more spindly and strung out part of the galaxy.

Terrans are the humans from earth. Their ships are highly divergent from the "commonwealth" technologies that emerged between the other factions interacting with each other because they spent 90% of their time isolated from the rest of the galaxy, because the people who built the gates have been deliberately trying to stop them from getting out of the earth system because they gently caress everything up. They are responsible for the creation of the xenon which they sent out to terraform the rest of the galaxy via slowboating their way across the vast distances between stars, and obviously the terraformer robots eventually became murder robots and that is the big thing that got the gate builders pissed off because now the entire galaxy is infested with killer robots. The xenon eventually came back to earth and tried to destroy it, which I think is how the argon ended up stranded on the other side of the original earth gate, I think they're the remnants of the force that led the xenon attack fleet through the earth gate and blew it up behind them to save earth. As a result earth had historically had a very, very strict "no AIs ever again" policy and their fleet in X4 is a mixture of technologies from their two X3 subfactions, the normal terran navy and the AI Task Force. The ATF have these designs that look kind of like a gundam or something, I think the Syn is basically an ATF design and you'll notice that it doesn't match the rest of the terran navy, which generally favour the big slim white plated look, with the habitation rings on them occasionally. The Syn has a bunch of buttresses all over it and is more greebly, that's the ATF look although the ATF used to paint their ships grey. As I said though their tech is just generally very different from the commonwealth and their weapons are usually very powerful and geared towards blowing up xenon. They don't have much versatility though, in X3 their ships are basically incompatible with anything not terran made so while they are dangerous, they only have a few weapon types that they use for everything. In X4 they have instant activation boost/travel drives with their engines, and the best shields in the game IIRC. Historically they were basically set to invade the entire rest of the galaxy because they do not trust anybody else to not make AIs. They retain this world police mentality in X4 to an extent and depending on the plot choices, they may once again declare war on everybody else.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 31, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Terrans are also the best and coolest looking ships and I'm always going to use Katanas as my player ship

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah I do like their designs and the katana in particular is a very pleasing ship.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Terrans rule imo

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
https://www.youtube.com/@JKNinja

jk ninja has a buch of good concise videos going over the differences in the aliens ships and equipment

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The last time I actually enjoyed Space dogfight combat was Freespace 2. Rip in piss forever Volition, confined to Saints row Hell.

The combat in X games was always kinda jank and serviceable at best. In X3 I wiped entire hostile sectors in my split destroyer with just strafing sideways, up and down evading bullets. I don't know why no company making space games has the balls to recreate the capital ship combat from freespace where you need big fuckoff beam weapons and bombers to take out capital ships. Instead all the big guns are slow moving blobs of plasma which is incredibly boring and not fun to watch.

I still love these games for the sheer scale of the simulation and especially in X4 the ability to just put your foot down and change the shape of the galaxy by conquering your own sectors.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As someone with a fascination for the history of video game development, the X-Series has a special place in my heart. The original game has you piloting one upgradable ship, no control interface including no map, you can buy factories and control them through the comms channel.

X-Tension took the original game and hacked at it like crazy to give you an interface and the ability to swap to other ships, including the first factory haulers which everyone immediately ranked on the basis of how good they were at being a pocket destroyer. This is where the game takes a hard turn from being 'elite plus' to 'Empire builder'.

Then you get X2 which improves everything in everyway, except the space combat is inherently a bit meh and then the main antagonist has 100% accuracy hitscan weapons for some reason. I guess it's a German philosophy that war shouldn't be fun even in games.

Next we enter a weird period of multiple versions of X3 which really starts to push the boundaries of the complexity of the universe as well as embracing the modding community. Rebirth was a grand attempt to reset the series given everything in the games before it could be traced iteratively back to game one and Egosoft clearly felt restricted by those expectations. The problem was development was troubled and the game was so bad it's been exorcised from the numbering.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm honestly surprised Rebirth didn't bankrupt them.
I only played it in 2018, by then it was a playable product but still required mods to get around some of the insane design decisions made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rebirth isn't a terrible game and you can see many of the foundations for what would become X4 in it, but it's not a very good game if you're coming off X3 and want a refinement of that formula.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It was completely broken at launch. Horrible performance, bugs that completely brick your save, crashes galore. Nothing worked

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

In the long run i probably got more out of Rebirth than i did out of x4. But yeah on launch it was just trash technically speaking.

like for at least a year the L ship AI, which was critical to doing basically everything, could get stuck and be unable to unstick itself, locking itself and locking the station dock it was interacting with.

X Rebirth did capital ships very well, the fights looked better, felt better, and were fun. They even had those fuckoff beam guns on some of the largest warships. I have some very fond memories of battles I ended up replaying several times just for fun. The Split Raptor is the closest X4 callback to XR style capitals: well armed battlecarriers with proper launch bays. Just wish that thing believed in shields.

XR did have some of the same design issues that X4 has inherited, unfortunately. Rebuilding the Republic of Cantera was an amazing hook for a building game, but similar to X4 you needed an effectively complete economy to manufacture even the most garbage of ships. With the Canterans isolation it was basically impossible to make real progress until you were so rich you had basically won the game anyway.

IMO X games really need a more layered economy where the lowest quality ships need only a relatively basic economy to construct, and then successive layers of complexity for more advanced ships. It would play into trade too, you could make the most advanced ships require goods only available from other factions. I took a stab at making a mod like that for X:R actually, but about 50 hours in I concluded that 'this is a gently caress ton of work' and gave up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are definitely improvements that could be made to the economy yeah, requiring more types of resources for fancier ships would be a good idea yeah, fighters could be produced fairly easily but you need big fancy yard and components to make capitals. Would make early fleet building viable and interesting. Also different production paths to work around resource scarcity would be good too, or to take advantage of abundance, using hyrdrogen to run a fusion plant which produces ecells and helium as products etc.

More of a civilian economy would be nice too, X3 had secondary resources on a bunch of stations which weren't needed for the production but the station would consume anyway, X4 replaces this with the meds and food to support workers, but I think you should be able to have civvy populations which pay like, tax or rent or something and demand a bunch of random stuff to stay living on your stations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Lest we all forget, X2 also had a planetside rail shooter segment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So did X3 reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

So did X3 reunion.

Really?! Wow! I didn't play X3R, but was always tempted to after playing X3TC. Now I don't know if that was a dodged bullet, or a missed opportunity! :D