Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Thefastlane's the last name
Hello all; I just got back to SA after a long time and found this thread.

I wanted to recommend a shop in Akihabara I didn't see on the pinned post itinerary. Backdrop is a store that has tons of official wrestling match and would be much cheaper than buying at the event. 1000 yen ($9) wrestling shirts from the last year can usually be found if wanting to stock up.

Backdrop

Also, the day before the earliest show listed in the pinned post, I will be wrestling on a show in Ibaraki. It's free and I like to think we always put on a good show, but I don't recommend coming unless passing through while touring the country. It's REALLY far out of the way from Tokyo unless you drive.

Hitachi Pro Wrestling

Living in Japan for 15 years and wrestling for 7, if anyone has any specific questions regarding a trip to Japan to enjoy wrestling, I'd be happy to help. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Rick posted:

Well, looks like I'm not going.

I just wasn't super confident about booking the flights correctly since I live somewhere without a direct flight, so I went with a travel agent who basically farted around for a month to the point where as of today I still don't have plane tickets and they are now significantly out of my budget, since I've had to also pay for a couple car repairs that dipped into the funds for this. I would have still been able to afford to go based on plane ticket prices when I contacted the agent, and would've been able to even manage the additional $500 bump in prices caused by foot dragging, but she picked the wrong day for departure (basically would've meant leaving during the show) and when she got the new prices, the tickets went up by 500 over Thanksgiving break.

My fault for not being more proactive (more of a jerk, I guess, since I just didn't want to press the agent very hard) I guess but that's part of why I went with a travel agent because I really suck at these things and thought that having someone else do it would solve for me.

If I can figure out how to give away my ticket I will although it says non-transferrable in the email.

Quick advice... Try Korea or Taiwan. Much cheaper and you can have the option of super cheap budget airlines between there and Japan. Consider low cost airports and train to Tokyo.

May still be impossible, but worth a Google...

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

If you don't need to eat while watching the event itself, Tokyo Dome has Shake Shack and Taco Bell, as well as tons of Japanese fast food places. The moderate wait on a busy day should be more convenient than trying to figure out food choices or carrying it around.

The main issue is cleanliness. A bottle drink with a cap is better than a cup. A dry food item that doesn't break apart is ok. Anything that might be smelled by others or drip or crumble is poor etiquette.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

harperdc posted:

hold up since WHEN

clearly I haven't gone to a Giants game recently enough to notice this difference.

Both opened in the fall, next to each other, on the concourse

I used to make an occasional drive to Tokyo and stop by one of the two elsewhere while in the area. Now I can grab both in the same day without paying for parking twice!

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Just dropped ¥50k on wrestling tickets. The girl working behind the counter at Lawson's was clearly impressed by how cool I am.

Actually ¥3k of that was to an idols concert where the idols are wrestlers so even cooler.

If you already spent the money I'm sorry but...

... Please don't support the companies promoting idol wrestling. There is seriously evil poo poo going on and I've tried to be part of getting some girls out of there.

I don't want to derail your conversation and don't want to darken your good time but... Well, yeah. Everyone should know. I'm sorry.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's DDT where the consensus seems to be the idol stuff is done as a parody. They certainly spend a lot of time making jokes about the rules and stuff but if you know differently about them, I'd certainly be disappointed and not support them in the future.

It's not about kayfabe. It's about serious sexual abuse to be able to make it to the level to be able to be featured. Every single one. Places like DDT just use them after being groomed, probably knowing better, but aren't the source of the problem.

I can't give anything other than my word as it isn't publicized and it's anyone's choice to believe me, but everyone here in the indies knows about it and wants it to end. I personally know one wrestler in one indie that has a "dojo" for idols. Or he was in it, until he knew what was going on.

If anyone wants to know more (again, with no proof, or desire to libel anyone specifically) I'm happy to share privately, but for this thread, please everyone discuss happily your enjoyment of a respectable part of the industry deserving of your support and praise. :) Again, sorry for the sidetrack.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

DDT's wrestlers in TJPW are all afaik trained in-house though.

If that's truly the case, and they aren't first introduced by the main agency handling almost all of these things, I can't comment on their practices, to be fair.

There is a huge underbelly of agencies connected to many dojos, and the wrestlers training at for are not all scrupulous. I'm highly concerned regarding most girls under 16 bring introduced to wrestling in many capacities and as idols or idol characters specifically. Remember... Nobody starts out at the highest level.

Sorry again... It's enough on the topic. Just don't be surprised for these activities to blow up in scandal sometime in the future.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcdncxRu-eY

Turned out to be horrible video quality but in case anyone was interested in the December 23 show. The last match, a Battle Royale, came out as totally unwatchable.

My next show is the 13th in Saitama, long after most of you coming to Wrestle Kingdom will have gone home.

Everyone, please enjoy all the festivities!

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

Afterwards I tried to find the DDT-operated Dropkick Bar in Kabukicho since it's close to where I'm staying. The only thing I could find was a building where I was encouraged by multiple dudes to go to their shady titty bar and no indication of Dropkick anywhere. Has someone been there, is it still there? And how would one actually find it?

Quick Google search gives the address as

Shinjuku, Kabukicho, 1 Chome−14−6 第21東京ビル (#21 Tokyo Building)

8th floor

If you can Google Map it.

It closes at midnight.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Auritech posted:

What are everyone else's NYE plans?

Same as always. Wrestling practice, a little recruitment work to interview people to come live in Japan, driving to every shopping center in a 50km radius for January first deals, and a few trips to the racetracks for gambling.

It's really interesting to see what all of you are doing though. Seeing that feeling of the wonder of the Japan experience takes me back 20 years... :)

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Phenix Rising posted:

So, what's everyone doing during the day today? I expect most things to be closed for New Years but need to look around some more.

I recommend everyone do what Japanese do today and tomorrow... Shopping and eating!

The biggest shopping centers and make are outside but very near Tokyo. I highly highly recommend Koshigaya Laketown, the biggest shopping complex in the country, and easily a way to spend many hours or a whole day. It opens at 10AM and is basically two huge malls and an outlet mall and many restaurants in one complex. It is a two hour drive for me but I still go 5-10 times a year because it's so much more than closer malls.

One station is inside the center, Koshigaya Laketown station. You can use hyperdia.com to map your train route. For example it is about 500 yen and 45 minutes from Shinjuku by train.

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi/search/...ed&sum_target=7

In warm comfort you can enjoy wacky shops, rare food, several game arcades, and tons of sales. I REALLY recommend the wacky super cheap stuff at Village Vanguard Z in the outlet center. Last time I was there last month I picked up crazy designer headphones for 600 yen, packs of Monty Python and Star Trek The Next Generation trading cards for 100 yen each, and much more. Inside one of the mall next to the Capcom Games Cafe (interesting but a bit pricey) is Sevens, a store with shirts and watches with bootleg Disney princesses doing drugs, strange animal designs, Game Boy shaped shoulder bags, all usually 777 yen.

If anyone has no plan at all today or tomorrow, I hope you will trust me and go there. My apologies if my tastes and those of tend of thousands of Japanese people daily don't match yours. Tomorrow going first thing, every store will have "Lucky Bags" only on the first of the year, packed with stuff for 3,000-100,000 yen each. I buy way too many each year (and even my current car was a "Lucky Bag" car) but for a tourist, the luggage space may be an issue, and today will be much less crowded than tomorrow.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Phenix Rising posted:

Thank you so much! I'll look into that. I was already scoping out the Mister Donut lucky bag but couldn't tell if they were sold out already since they seemed to release them early.

How would you rate Laketown for folks who don't read/speak the language? As friendly as things in the central parts of Tokyo?

I've never been not knowing Japanese, but I recall that all store directories include English and plenty of pictures. I also see many, many people there every time I go who seem to be non-Japanese speakers. I can't imagine anyone of any background not enjoying the place. (Unless flat broke, I guess.)

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

harperdc posted:

you don't need to go 45 minutes into Saitama (ewww) to get good deals, if you're staying in Shinjuku, all of the major shopping outlets back near the station (Odakyu, Lumine, Takashimaya, Isetan, Marui, etc) will have much of the same thing, including the Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera locations on the west exit. Or take a quick train down to Shibuya. That's the shopping that mega-malls like Laketown are trying to replicate...

To be fair, they are totally different experiences. There is a reason the vast majority of Koshigaya customers are Tokyoites. I think it would be good to experience it all as a tourist.

After 20 years in Japan I must say I'm glad to have a normal house and car and family in the suburbs. It's a much easier and cheaper, and with access to more indies bookings :D I remember the days living in Tokyo and thinking it was the best of everything... It's fun for a while but don't forget a tourist may want to look back and have had the experience of one of the biggest collection of stores and restaurants under one roof which includes a bunch of stuff not in Tokyo.

Anyway, for someone visiting Japan, whatever you decide to do, you'll enjoy it. Don't think there are any mistakes because it's all going to be good.

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

HIGHLY recommend a Jack in the Donuts if you pass by a franchise! I'd love to know how others compare it to Mister Donut too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vendo Thefastlane
May 24, 2005

Picked a great day to be stuck at home with the flu. Happy with the joys of socialized medical care to get back in the swing of things soon, but not the best idea to take an hour drive to Tokyo just to infect thousands.

It's great seeing all you guys, especially visitors to Japan, having a great time together in this occasion. I hope all of you have a memorable time tonight and can enjoy a fantastic show. Be safe, everyone!