Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tsaedje posted:

I personally don't get the obsession with making sure the ball is moving for 90 minutes. Slowing down the game is a perfectly valid tactic.

drat, didn't know that mourinho posts on these forums???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Football isn't broken (apart from the finance and governance)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Often when I’m watching a left back walking to the technical area at the pace of an arthritic granny to be subbed off in the 92nd minute, I think “ah yes this is the classic football I paid £35 to see”

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

peanut- posted:

Often when I’m watching a left back walking to the technical area at the pace of an arthritic granny to be subbed off in the 92nd minute, I think “ah yes this is the classic football I paid £35 to see”

The same left back who was belting down the wing not 10 seconds before hand, but suddenly then forgets how to run.

Its like watching Wrestlers during a ladder match, where as soon as they need to climb a ladder they seem to lose all hand eye co-ordination

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The best bit is when the ref tells them to hurry up so they break out into that little pretend jog that’s actually slower than walking pace.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

peanut- posted:

The best bit is when the ref tells them to hurry up so they break out into that little pretend jog that’s actually slower than walking pace.

It's a legitimate tactic op, for real football lovers

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

oliwan posted:

It's a legitimate tactic op, for real football lovers

How would you know then?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

On the other hand it is hilarious when someone goes to pick up the ball for a throw-in or whatever and they're like okay. Time to bend over. Uff da. Okay. Got the ball. Better wipe it off. Gotta check the seams. Make sure everything's in order.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Never really thought of the clock as like a play clock or whatever the right phrase for it is. The ball is out for a throw or stopped for a free kick, but it's not like everyone is stationary, there's still poo poo going on. Injury time and substitutions makes sense though because there is actually gently caress all going on, and nothing can go on.

basically the refs are poo poo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Weedle posted:

On the other hand it is hilarious when someone goes to pick up the ball for a throw-in or whatever and they're like okay. Time to bend over. Uff da. Okay. Got the ball. Better wipe it off. Gotta check the seams. Make sure everything's in order.

Then drop the ball on the ground and walk off, because it turns out the full back is walking up from the other half of the ground to throw it in instead, and the process repeats

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

kcer posted:

Never really thought of the clock as like a play clock or whatever the right phrase for it is. The ball is out for a throw or stopped for a free kick, but it's not like everyone is stationary, there's still poo poo going on. Injury time and substitutions makes sense though because there is actually gently caress all going on, and nothing can go on.

basically the refs are poo poo

Yes, this

Occasionally you'll get a ref who will do their job and let play go on to compensate for a stupidly long sub in stoppage time. That is the remedy if you consider it a terrible problem that is worth agonising over.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

Australian rules football also stops the clock every time the ball is out of play either over the boundary line or after scoring, but also does so at stoppages in the game where time might be deliberately wasted, such as when there's a pile up on the ground and players are getting up for the restart, for the blood rule, or when a player is seriously injured and needs to be removed from the field by medical staff.

Seems a reasonably easy thing for football to follow.

but on the other hand australian football is a boring mess of tedious rules and is way too long

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

good point shitehawk but what about wolves

Wolves only have 4 new 1st team players.

Patricio
Moutinho
Johnny
Jimenez

For all their moves they have a lot of continuity from last season.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

I wish Wengy had left five years ago.

Rude

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
No rules changes needed, if stoppage time actually included all the time wasted instead of arbitrarily tacking on 2-4 minutes at the end of each half.

Didn’t someone count up the “correct” stoppage according to FIFA rules compared to actual stoppage given during the WC, and they were giving less than half the “correct” stoppage?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nottherealaborn posted:

No rules changes needed, if stoppage time actually included all the time wasted instead of arbitrarily tacking on 2-4 minutes at the end of each half.

Didn’t someone count up the “correct” stoppage according to FIFA rules compared to actual stoppage given during the WC, and they were giving less than half the “correct” stoppage?

But then there would need to be an assistant in the rooms counting up all the necessary additional time, sending that amount to the ref over the earpiece, and then continuing to update additional time as more time is wasted in stoppage time, and would effectively need to tell the ref when time is up for it all to work, by which point it would have been easier and more sensible to just do it with the clock stopping the way Rugby and other footballs do it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

When you look at most games where 1-0 games will usually have 2x the amount of added on times compared to a 2 or 3 goal advantage you realise the refs just make it up really

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

But then there would need to be an assistant in the rooms counting up all the necessary additional time, sending that amount to the ref over the earpiece, and then continuing to update additional time as more time is wasted in stoppage time, and would effectively need to tell the ref when time is up for it all to work, by which point it would have been easier and more sensible to just do it with the clock stopping the way Rugby and other footballs do it.

Orrrr, just have the ref stop his watch and he can keep track of it himself, rugby does it and it works fine

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
From a purely selfish point of view I'm quite happy that a game of football takes roughly 2 hours unless you have to wait behind because you are in the away end.

I'd also be worried that stopping the clock would lead to Fifa introducing ad breaks at some point because that seems like the sort of thing they'd do.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

CyberPingu posted:

Orrrr, just have the ref stop his watch and he can keep track of it himself, rugby does it and it works fine

Do you think Mike Dean would have a special dance for when he stops the watch?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

fat gay nonce posted:

From a purely selfish point of view I'm quite happy that a game of football takes roughly 2 hours unless you have to wait behind because you are in the away end.

I'd also be worried that stopping the clock would lead to Fifa introducing ad breaks at some point because that seems like the sort of thing they'd do.

Yeah, knowing the game will roughly take two hours is way more important to me than knowing if we actually got the correct amount of play time. Other sports really suffer when games drag on, don't do it to soccer too.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

fat gay nonce posted:

This is the best argument for leaving it the way it is.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

fat gay nonce posted:

That's why I think rule changes that reduce the opportunities for time wasting are a good idea rather than forcing more time to be added on at the end. Stuff like getting subs to leave the pitch at the closest touchline rather than going on a high five and hugs tour on their way to the technical area just seems like a no downside change.

The ads thing is definitely true.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

This is the best argument for leaving it the way it is.

Stu Holden here with your Fritos free kick update here - we’ve got a thriller over at Brighton where Knockaert has just knocked, haha sorry couldn’t resist, one into the upper 90 for the go ahead goal. Tim Howard is on the sideline to report. Tim, what’s the atmosphere like?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

What's wrong with the concept that a football match lasts about 90 minutes, regardless of how much time the ball is in play? Why should the fact that other sports stop the clock have any bearing on this?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lemon posted:

What's wrong with the concept that a football match lasts about 90 minutes, regardless of how much time the ball is in play? Why should the fact that other sports stop the clock have any bearing on this?

Watching someone take 5 minutes to walk off of a pitch is boring and has no backlash so will only get worse

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

CyberPingu posted:

Watching someone take 5 minutes to walk off of a pitch is boring and has no backlash so will only get worse

lol just lol if you don't give all subs a standing ovation from the comfort of your own home

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Stu Holden here with your Fritos free kick update here - we’ve got a thriller over at Brighton where Knockaert has just knocked, haha sorry couldn’t resist, one into the upper 90 for the go ahead goal. Tim Howard is on the sideline to report. Tim, what’s the atmosphere like?
They already kind of do something like that. I believe stoppage time has a sponsor in the US and they announce it as the "Doritos stoppage time" or whatever. Sounded ridiculous to me the first time I heard it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Stopping the clock when the ball is out of play and playing say 70 minutes instead of 90 would definitely improve the game, but that's a pretty big change and could open the door to commercial breaks.

I want a rule where if a player goes down for a non serious injury they have to wait on the sideline for 5 minutes.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Stopping the clock when the ball is out of play and playing say 70 minutes instead of 90 would definitely improve the game, but that's a pretty big change and could open the door to commercial breaks.

Why would that improve the game?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I, too, want to encourage tactical fouling to keep players off the pitch for 5 minutes

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

fat gay nonce posted:

Why would that improve the game?

It should get rid of time wasting completely

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

I, too, want to encourage tactical fouling to keep players off the pitch for 5 minutes

If there was a foul the player can get treatment and return. If he just sits down and stays down here has to sit out

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

They already kind of do something like that. I believe stoppage time has a sponsor in the US and they announce it as the "Doritos stoppage time" or whatever. Sounded ridiculous to me the first time I heard it.

I watched a USL match a while back that had yellow cards sponsored by a local roofing company or something.

Also please no clock stoppages. I literally can't stand to watch NBA broadcasts because of all the ad breaks. Much better to just have all the ads in a big chunk in the middle so I can just go do something else for fifteen minutes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Those are fine because the game continues. The moment you stop the clock you’re getting ad breaks.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Remember that really awful Stoke - Villa match a few years ago where the ball was only in play for like 40-something minutes. I'd love to see that match being dragged out for the full 90 minutes. Give it to me mmmm.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

Why would stopping the clock for a corner improve the game? Why would stopping the clock for a throw improve the game? Why would making football last 70 minutes but also any length of time depending on how often the ball goes out of play improve the game?

Why not just punish timewasting instead of these crazy changes to football?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

If there was a foul the player can get treatment and return. If he just sits down and stays down here has to sit out

You're still going to be punishing people for being hurt.

If it's obvious enough that someone's faking then it's obvious enough to card them for simulation

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Vegetable posted:

Sadly, it's no the Dorito's stoppage time, it's the Progressive Insurance stoppage time. Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Actually, iirc, in the first half, it's the Lexus stoppage time and Progressive Ins stoppage time in the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Time wasting is a huge part of any sport and you won’t get rid of it - it will just change.

Also I unironically love gamesmanship

• Locked thread