Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't necessarily want to play NMH 1+2 again right now but I am compelled to make sure Suda's projects get as much money as I can reasonably throw at them so they keep letting him make games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Harlock posted:

Dynasty Warriors 3 definitely had framerate issues, it was one of the incentives to press your special button to clear the screen

Only played DW 4 Extreme on the PS2 but yeah, definitely issues when there were a hundred enemies milling about.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

RE2 is better.

Didn’t say it wasn’t

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dynasty Warriors 2 ran a pretty stable 30 FPS but it also had a really close draw distance that usually didn't allow for all the many models on-screen at once and didn't use much texture resolution, either.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I played the first mission of the Hyrule Warriors demo in handheld mode and I thought it got unplayably bad. Getting Flurry Rushes from dodges while fighting enemy minibosses in strongholds felt completely random with how the framerate would dip in there.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay so I got the eight main shines in Noki Bay but like what’s the deal with that level? There seems to be a lot of sections that only exist for blue coins? The best part is the platforming maze in the ruins that require you to shoot water at the wall to reveal the paths, but it’s only used for one shine and instead there are three extremely awful shines involving the insanely bad diving suit/hover nozzle bullshit. It’s just completely horrible and impossibly hard to control unless I’m missing something? gently caress that eel and its teeth. Also gently caress the two red coin stars.

That horrible lily pad shine that requires you to ride three boats with Yoshi is already making me not want to get all the shines and Noki Bay is not helping. Please tell me the underwater ruins isn’t the best place to get the 100 coin shine because if so there’s no way I’m doing that.

100 coins is pretty easy on that level with all the coins hidden in the secret cliff passages. I agree that the underwater nozzle controls suck poo poo at first but you eventually get the hang of it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nep-Nep posted:

With regards to Age of Calamity framerate one thing I am glad for is that it seems to be the type that is visually noticeable but doesn't interfere with the flow of gameplay, at least for me.

cant say I agree, I was definitely getting some very noticeable dropped/delayed inputs messing up my combos during moments where the framerate was struggling

Bleck posted:

most framerate dips in games are like this, people online are just extremely Online about it
as you, the extremely Not Online person, continue to insist every single time anybody in this thread brings up framerate issues even in passing

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 29, 2020

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Noki Bay looks so pretty, it was a world I was really looking forward to unlocking, and then every Shine in it is absolute rear end. What a terrible world.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't think I would pick up AoC if not for the story elements, as silly as that sounds.

Sure it's pretty fun and Impa loving rules but I dunno if it's something I'd normally commit a ton of time to.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I’m excited to play Pikmin 3 tomorrow.

Now release 1 and 2 remaster Nintendo tia

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Guess I'm getting AOC and Pikmin with some vouchers. My wallet will cry

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm sad because I was really looking forward to AoC but having played some of the demo, I'm not sure I like it. I'll finish the demo and see if it clicks for me, but having only played FE Warriors before the additional mechanics for combos and the sheikah slate stuff is a bit too much for me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also control is cool, it looks really good and runs really smooth on my switch/wifi, but the killer for me is the half second of input lag.

No thanks :barf:

Also the right stick is dog poo poo. The camera uses exponential acceleration instead of constant speed. Absolute trash.

And the brightness option doesn't even work correctly; I adjusted it before starting the game, and the setting in game, while being the same number- was darker than what I had set it to, going by how visible the logos were.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 29, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Augus posted:

as you, the extremely Not Online person, continue to insist every single time anybody in this thread brings up framerate issues even in passing

yes exactly

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

littleorv posted:

TBF though I never really had any issues with the BOTW framerate outside of the forest with all the particle effects

Yeah, this has been my experience too, it's the only place I notice it (it's consistent, and slightly annoying, but that's it).

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So No More Heroes is a Good Game? I trust you guys I don't need gamexplain

Suit and Tie
May 19, 2009
As a Kiwi who is eternally shafted with price gouging, I was disappointed to see the NMH remasters aren't available to get over here on the store.
What are the chances of them being released eventually to the colonies?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gonna say that I'm not a fan of more companies trying to get people to pay box copy prices for streaming games

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Suit and Tie posted:

As a Kiwi who is eternally shafted with price gouging, I was disappointed to see the NMH remasters aren't available to get over here on the store.
What are the chances of them being released eventually to the colonies?
Wait they aren't available over here?

I have an Australian account for reasons and its available to purchase off there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I saw NMH on the Australian eshop just today?

Also the message of NMH2 is that revenge is dumb, they deliberately make the final boss completely ridiculous to destroy any sense of fulfilment from it.

Suit and Tie
May 19, 2009

Crawfish posted:

Wait they aren't available over here?

I have an Australian account for reasons and its available to purchase off there.

I only have an NZ account, but usually any licensing issues are jointly NZ/Aus so I assumed it was both. Such a shame really, Ive also had to import Deadly Premonition Origins due to this issue in the past.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Suit and Tie posted:

I only have an NZ account, but usually any licensing issues are jointly NZ/Aus so I assumed it was both.
From the Night Dive goon earlier in this thread:

Rocket Pan posted:

This is a constant problem for us. New Zealand hasn't adopted support for IARC, meaning we need to pay to get each game rated. But you say that NZ doesn't require games to be rated to be sold digitally? I'm familiar with that law, I live here too (I work from Wellington in fact) but it seems the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing because all three console platforms require a NZ rating anyway to be sold here, even digitally, with the exception that they will allow an Australian rating if its MA15 or less, which Turok2 sadly isn't.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

My biggest regret was being broke the 2 hours thag hotline Miami 2 was available on the aus eshop before it got taken down

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Hyrule Warriors is just alright so far. The fps hasn’t been bugging me although I haven’t tried two player yet. Can’t imagine I’ll have fun for too long with a split screen, just not used to it these days.

I tried Control and it felt pretty snappy and smooth on performance mode. Graphics mode was unplayable and really didn’t look that much better. Glad I have a PC for these types of games but I guess it’s workable for someone who doesn’t have a secondary console or PC.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Social Animal posted:

I tried Control and it felt pretty snappy and smooth on performance mode. Graphics mode was unplayable and really didn’t look that much better. Glad I have a PC for these types of games but I guess it’s workable for someone who doesn’t have a secondary console or PC.

This would be really good for a hypothetical Civ 7, since NPC turn speed is basically directly related to CPU speed (literally anything the server uses would be better), and wouldn't require split-second button timing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was thinking about HW:AoC again and honestly maybe I'm playing it wrong but it does feel like there's a lot of downtime between encounters. You're not necessarily encouraged to fight between every small band of 10-20 enemies to reach an objective since you lose time and then what ends up happening is just pointless running. Sure you can swap generals, but that only just barely alleviates the problem.

Regarding Deadly Premonition 1 is there any reason to not exclusively use your handgun versus melee weapons? Do all guns have unlimited ammo? I tried swinging the metal pipe and it just got me attacked. I watched the LP years ago, one of the few I've ever watched (I'll almost certainly watch an LP of AoC), and remember there being some surprising properties to melee weapons. The cutscenes are as delightful as I remembered and playing the game is certainly interesting if not necessarily good. It's a treat of a game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was thinking about HW:AoC again and honestly maybe I'm playing it wrong but it does feel like there's a lot of downtime between encounters. You're not necessarily encouraged to fight between every small band of 10-20 enemies to reach an objective since you lose time and then what ends up happening is just pointless running. Sure you can swap generals, but that only just barely alleviates the problem.

No that's basically what the game becomes at high level difficulty. You need to be getting from point A to B as fast as possible, only stopping to kill enemy generals or captains because control of the battlefield is more important then actual combat.

Trying to grind all the gold medals and top tier unlockables in HW was like playing a strategy game. It doesn't matter if you kill 1500 enemies if you didn't take over forts X and Y within the first 3 minutes to keep the enemy from overwhelming your army.

You'd find advice online on how to set up two player for a single person so you could swap to a closer hero to defend or attack a fort to help beat some of the most difficult challenges. Like if the mission forces you to use Fi (C tier character) you'd have a character+weapon the level enemies are weak against on the 2nd player to help kill the boss monsters faster.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 29, 2020

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

From the Night Dive goon earlier in this thread:

Huh, "good" to see that isn't only affecting our games. I think with Parliament aware of Gabe Newell currently hiding out here and in turn them pretending to be interested in video games I might just send some MPs an email from my work address to complain about how outdated their system is (and how users pretend to live in Australia to get around it, that tends to rile things up).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

pentyne posted:

No that's basically what the game becomes at high level difficulty. You need to be getting from point A to B as fast as possible, only stopping to kill enemy generals or captains because control of the battlefield is more important then actual combat.

Trying to grind all the gold medals and top tier unlockables in HW was like playing a strategy game. It doesn't matter if you kill 1500 enemies if you didn't take over forts X and Y within the first 3 minutes to keep the enemy from overwhelming your army.

Yeah that's what I remembered from HW. It's fun to a point, but it's not engaging enough for 60 euro. Oh well.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hyrule Warriors: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I read it like that and dismissed it as me being over-tired then spent a full minute trying to pronounce Assassin's Oreed Cdyssey in my head

Well, that's my story.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Regarding Deadly Premonition 1 is there any reason to not exclusively use your handgun versus melee weapons? Do all guns have unlimited ammo? I tried swinging the metal pipe and it just got me attacked. I watched the LP years ago, one of the few I've ever watched (I'll almost certainly watch an LP of AoC), and remember there being some surprising properties to melee weapons. The cutscenes are as delightful as I remembered and playing the game is certainly interesting if not necessarily good. It's a treat of a game.

Melee weapons usually kill stuff faster. Plus you don't have to reload them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

blackguy32 posted:

Melee weapons usually kill stuff faster. Plus you don't have to reload them.

You get that unbreakable wrench pretty early on if you do the one side quest in the tunnel iirc and it can carry you through the whole game.

Edit: sorry the haunted tunnel, the one you have to talk to the greaser store owner to trigger.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Age of calamity plays like the best warriors game and runs like absolute garbage

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get that unbreakable wrench pretty early on if you do the one side quest in the tunnel

The haunted tunnel is the infinite SMG, the wrench is from Quint.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Unreal_One posted:

A design goal of every Warriors game is "add enemies until frame rate drops." This is a tradition going all the way back to the first game in the series, Dynasty Warriors 2.

huh, i had no idea

The first Dynasty Warriors (Sangokumusō) is a traditional one-on-one fighting game, released in 1997 for the PlayStation. Its gameplay style is reminiscent of Virtua Fighter and Soul Blade.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Age of calamity plays like the best warriors game and runs like absolute garbage

Credit where it's due. The move sets are neat especially for the newer characters but the gameplay is just meh. I'll finish this chapter just to see it through. It also seems to offer TONS of things to upgrade so you won't run out of things to do, which may be good or bad depending on your point of view.

The cutscenes are fairly elaborate and even a bit too constant, pausing the already slowish action a bit too frequently and for far too long between stage. Definitely a game worth watching online after the fact. I just did the Lizalfos time trial and I was surprised how often I would be running through empty swathes of stage. I wasn't surprised by this on the 3DS since I figured the console couldn't handle it, but man there's way too much dead time in my action one-person army game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In fairness the framerate seems to be a bit more stable in handheld mode, but the resolution seems to change wildly to compensate.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Ran through the tutorial and first boss of No More Heroes 1. Haven't played in years, but once I get used to how lock-on and masturb recharging my laser sword are positioned (ZL and L respectively), this poo poo is gonna rock on a controller.

Definitely in the mood for juvenile humor and Paris, Texas references right now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Storm One posted:

The haunted tunnel is the infinite SMG, the wrench is from Quint.

Ah okay it’s been like a decade since I played it (although I watched SuperGreatFriend’s LP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

stev posted:

In fairness the framerate seems to be a bit more stable in handheld mode, but the resolution seems to change wildly to compensate.

Maybe this is why I can't understand any of the complaints in this thread about handheld - I played the demo entirely laying in bed last night, had a lot of fun. Looking forward to the game.

I feel blessed that I never seem to notice these framerate problems others do. Like, with Link's Awakening I initially noticed the hitches because someone had pointed them out before, but by the time I left the starting village, I had completely forgotten about them.