Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The United States posted:

Honestly it would be pretty funny to start someone on Megaman 4 as their first game and they think the villain is some guy named Dr. Cossack and then they get to the end of the game and quelle surprise

I think the Nintendo Power spread they did for that game spoiled it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Mega man battle network is the only logical starting place actually. But not mmbn 1 because that one is jank too

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Whenever I want to play Mega Man 6 I play Mega man 2 instead and it's much more satisfying while still being exactly the same game that I wanted in every way. I love Mega Man 2, Mega Man X4, Mega Man Zero Three, Mega Man ZX5, Mega Man Legends 2, Mega Man Battle Network 4, and Mega Man Star Force 6. What are your picks in each series? You can also list the best one in other game series' that you like to play.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

abelwingnut posted:

i...didn't know this. i thought they were all at least longer than like super metroid. that helps for sure. maybe i'll just start at the beginning, see if i like it, then if not, move to the snes version, see if i like it, so on and so forth.

They’re pretty short once you get them down, but they’ll probably take longer as you’re learning enemy patterns, figuring out how to tackle bosses, and dealing with the games’ various platforming challenges.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Honestly it would be pretty funny to start someone on Megaman 4 as their first game and they think the villain is some guy named Dr. Cossack and then they get to the end of the game and quelle surprise

Look if you don't play every Mega Man game then you can't be shocked when you play Mega Man V and expect Dr. Wily to be the final boss but then Sunstar shows up.

American McGay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAt0E-gcagM&t=56s
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Astro Man is trying his best.

But seriously the music is fantastic and the stages are mostly good aside from Wily 1 which JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Shame Boy posted:

On the original black carts the N64 game came on there was a glitch you could do where you put in the master cheat code, started up a multiplayer match and then teleported to a singleplayer level using the level skip code and you could play single player levels co-op! This was very much unintended and it crashed the game anytime you tried to go into a portal but the technology was already there! They ought to just make it an offical feature at this point.

I've heard this 1000 times. Problem is, nothing about the single player was designed to handle it. We would have a lot of asset and scripting work to cover to make it so the game wouldn't just completely tilt out and/or soft lock.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Mega man battle network is the only logical starting place actually. But not mmbn 1 because that one is jank too

I started with 3, and man, the sheer amount of backtracking in that game was bullshit. :argh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I started with 3, and man, the sheer amount of backtracking in that game was bullshit. :argh:

I love the series but during a recent replay I had to come to terms with the fact that the games are structured fully around tedious chores. You're rarely exploring just to explore, nope you're constantly on some dumb errand or fetch quest and that drives the entire plot forward in all six games. The pacing is constantly broken as you have to talk to specific NPCs or find certain items, oh man don't get me started on the Internet is on fire mission where you have to retread every single area to put out stupid virtual fires.

Great combat and it is fun to run around in the internet most of the time but yeah I know exactly what you're talking about

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh and while that tedious back and forth is fully baked into the story campaign, there is also a full separate set of side quests you can access via the stupid bbs. If you want to get to the true end game stuff these end up being mandatory which also involves a lot of backtracking

That said the mega Man Battle Network games at in their peak in the late game when you are hunting down the super-powered versions of previously defeated bosses, and designing decks around destroying them in 30 seconds or less while taking very little/no damage in order to get their battlechip as a reward

Such a loving cool way to integrate signature classic mega man gameplay into a deck building action RPG

I also loved seeing the reimagined bosses from the classic games even if some of the designs weren't so great. It was still really cool to come across say snakeman or junk man after decades of them being left behind in NES games

Where's the collection, Capcom?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I love the series but during a recent replay I had to come to terms with the fact that the games are structured fully around tedious chores. You're rarely exploring just to explore, nope you're constantly on some dumb errand or fetch quest and that drives the entire plot forward in all six games. The pacing is constantly broken as you have to talk to specific NPCs or find certain items, oh man don't get me started on the Internet is on fire mission where you have to retread every single area to put out stupid virtual fires.

Great combat and it is fun to run around in the internet most of the time but yeah I know exactly what you're talking about

That combat was so good, too. I'm a little surprised that only one indie dev has taken a shot at it so far. Too bad it's closer to bullet hell nonsense. :sigh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ya it was on my radar but it seems annoyingly fast and it's a roguelite so meh. I'll get around to trying it eventually

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skip right to the good one "matrix 3"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Oh and while that tedious back and forth is fully baked into the story campaign, there is also a full separate set of side quests you can access via the stupid bbs. If you want to get to the true end game stuff these end up being mandatory which also involves a lot of backtracking

That said the mega Man Battle Network games at in their peak in the late game when you are hunting down the super-powered versions of previously defeated bosses, and designing decks around destroying them in 30 seconds or less while taking very little/no damage in order to get their battlechip as a reward

Such a loving cool way to integrate signature classic mega man gameplay into a deck building action RPG

I also loved seeing the reimagined bosses from the classic games even if some of the designs weren't so great. It was still really cool to come across say snakeman or junk man after decades of them being left behind in NES games

Where's the collection, Capcom?

That's one of those series like FFTactics/Tactics Ogre that has me perpetually surprised that there isn't an entire indie scene based around knocking them off
That kind of gameplay was intoxicating when it was clicking (bogged down by those loving dungeon designs mostly)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Skip right to the good one "John Wick"

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That's one of those series like FFTactics/Tactics Ogre that has me perpetually surprised that there isn't an entire indie scene based around knocking them off
That kind of gameplay was intoxicating when it was clicking (bogged down by those loving dungeon designs mostly)

one step from eden is supposed to play like battle network battles, but that's only one indie treasure and not a whole genre

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

2 Looks like rear end. 7 and 8 look good, because they came out on the SNES and Playstation.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Just got my 1tb sd, time to load up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Seriously play some MM1 and then go to 2 or 3 it's a massive difference

I have played probably hundreds of hours of all three

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone's making an open source BN battle engine. https://twitter.com/OpenNetBattle?s=09

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

KingSlime posted:

Ya it was on my radar but it seems annoyingly fast and it's a roguelite so meh. I'll get around to trying it eventually

One Step From Eden added an easy mode that slows everything down, and makes it much more manageable. I recommend it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Muk Dumpster posted:

Just got my 1tb sd, time to load up
I can't even think of 1TB of Switch games I'd want to play.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The best Mega Man Battle Network game was Network Transmission on the Gamecube.

Also the Axess anime was essentially a Kamen Rider series where Lan would transform into Megaman.EXE and fight Net Navis that were invading the real world and that rules.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

American McGay posted:

I can't even think of 1TB of Switch games I'd want to play.

Neither, but its for future options and retroarch

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I have played probably hundreds of hours of all three

I know everything about mega men. I've seen over 240 of them.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Dip Viscous posted:

I really wish companies would just use UTC on announcements instead of using the cutesy names and still getting it wrong anyway.

Lol no one knows what UTC is.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I bet if I installed everything I’d have 700GB of Switch games

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright I’m hungover what are the odds that bravely default 2 unlocks at midnight so I can lay in my own filth and play while eating a donair?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

cutesy names like "pacific standard time"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As a member of the Commonwealth :canada:, I am quite happy with Greenwich Mean Time. :wotwot:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
South Australian +8.30 or gtfo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love the hell out of the Megaman Battle Network games 1-3 (I rented 4 and it seemed kinda dumb and never played 5 or 6), but I'm not sure I actually played through the full end game of any of them.

I guess I was also a lot less confident at deckbuilding as a kid then, so I didn't sink in too deep, but the games were still fun to me.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mister Facetious posted:

As a member of the Commonwealth :canada:, I am quite happy with Greenwich Mean Time. :wotwot:

Fun fact I learned about this recently: back in the 19th century when rail travel started to become more prevalent and a standardised time system became necessary, there was a conference in the USA attended by delegates from most of the pre-eminent countries and powers of the time. It was here that the Greenwich observatory was settled upon as the prime meridian, which was almost universally agreed upon by the delegates in attendance. Owing to the British Empire's long status as the premier naval power most of the world's naval charts and commerce were already based around Greenwich and it was deemed that codifying that into international law would be more advantageous and less disruptive to the majority of the world's population. 2 delegates abstained, and only 1 voted against it: the French. Not only did they vote against it, they then produced their own charts and maps placing the prime meridian through Paris, and continued to use them for decades after before finally giving in to the rest of the world. loving French.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

abelwingnut posted:

having never played a mega man, where in the hell would i begin? it seems as though there's 20+ games in the series, and they're all available on the switch.

Mega Man 3 is a good starting point because it introduces Rush and the slide move and has tons of e tanks.

Mega Man 6 is the most feature complete of the classic series with a fair difficulty and fun levels and alternate paths

Mega Man 2 is the most classic

Mega Man 5 is probably the easiest

Mega Man X is probably the best, and a great start of the series.

Mega Man is the shortest. It has some notoriously difficult sections where you kind of need to know the idiosyncracies of the platforming, BUT you have a rewind button. Use it. It's a solid game and you don't need to waste a life to do trial and error on weaknesses or getting past a platforming section, just use rewind. Come back to it and try it without rewind after you've played others in the series and gotten better.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Bloop posted:

This is all an exaggeration but I think every NES action game is better with savestates or rewind

THANK YOU.

I felt like a filthy casual for using a rewind for a handful of Mario bros 3 stages. It turns out that, while that game is often hailed as perfect, as a few heinous difficulty spikes and its totally fine to tailor a game to your experience.

I think I forgot that until N64 (and truthfully, long after that) the whole idea was to make the game as ball bustingly hard to keep you playing so that you "earned" your $60 cost

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yep that and difficulty in the home console market was also heavily influenced by quarter munching arcades of the era.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Narcissus1916 posted:

THANK YOU.

I felt like a filthy casual for using a rewind for a handful of Mario bros 3 stages. It turns out that, while that game is often hailed as perfect, as a few heinous difficulty spikes and its totally fine to tailor a game to your experience.

I mean Mario 2 and 3 are basically perfect but everyone should get to enjoy things their own way

Even people who are very bad at games

(Really it's just that we don't have the time OR lack of choice that led to playing NES games enough to Get Gud back in the 80s)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ghost's N Goblins Resurrection is fun. Hard but fun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

b_d posted:

cutesy names like "pacific standard time"

Feeling cute, might daylight savings later

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Bloop posted:

(Really it's just that we don't have the time OR lack of choice that led to playing NES games enough to Get Gud back in the 80s)

Finally, something to blame for the fact that I suck poo poo at Super Mario World these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm honestly baffled how the discussion of best Mega Man has gone on this long without mentioning one of the most important aspects: the soundtrack.

Mega Man 2 slaps. It's seriously Rockman and Roll. Half the early songs I learned on that guitar I found were Mega Man 2. Someone posted a video a while back about its impact on the video game music industry and it was significant.

Mega Man 3 has a couple of bops too, but a lot more duds.